Thread: OT: Animated gif sigs

Default OT: Animated gif sigs

I'm just interested to see what people think of the animated gifs that are used as sigs by a couple of members. I agree that both of them are very cool vids but do we really need to see them in every thread that you guys post in? I just loaded the 'hornets yellow unis' thread and after 2.4Mb of loading it was finally done only for me to realise that the hornets uniform was a link, the image wasn't actually in the thread. But the two animated gifs took up over half the download size for the entire page.

As forums go, PacersDigest members like big avatars and sigs, which I know some people disable images so it loads faster. I leave them on because i like to see the images and it doesn't load that slowly on DSL. But when the load time changes from 2secs to 20secs just because of animated gifs i've seen 100 times before, it prompts me to make a thread like this.
    [edit=122=1099653870][/edit]

Default Re: OT: Animated gif sigs

I agree. But the avatar/gif of rcarey, i can see that one over and over again
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

We actually said "no more animated .gifs" months ago, but I've been bad about enforcing that lately. To those of you with them, how about you go ahead and move them out; it really slows things down around here. Thanks.

I'm on dialup and would greatly appreciate no animations in the sigs.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the sigs (not necessarily with animated .gifs) but it would be cool if a second, third, etc. post to the same thread was automatically posted without the sig - might not make a difference on load times but it would look 'cleaner'.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

That's a great idea, Jay.

Able, can your code monkeys add that feature?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

See why I love Firefox , I just right click and disable any image loading , which is what I do instead of punishing everyone by turning off sigs and avatars.

sweabs

Sorry guys...

db530

I wanted to see all of the animated GIFs, I love the one where Reggie shoots and Artest walks away with his hand saying #1

bump : whatup kstat?