Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82

Thread: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

  1. #1
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    I don't know if this has been posted or anybody has mentioned it. I'm sitting here watching the replay of the Magic vs. Bulls game from last night and Jeff Van Gundy has really been bashing our team, he might be trying to do it in a nice way, but he's still doing it. He says we shouldn't have so many players on the All-Star ballot and also calls us a sub .500 team. I don't know if he has been looking at the standings lately, but that obviously isn't true. He later went on to say that he wouldn't vote for anybody except for the LeBron's and Dwight's of the league and specifically says he wouldn't vote for a Pacer.

    I like Van Gundy as an announcer, but this kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I can see where he is coming from sort of, but he didn't exactly have to bash us so much.

  2. #2
    RLeWorm
    Guest

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    maybe because we didn't consider him for the coaching position

  3. #3
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe because we didn't consider him for the coaching position
    Lol, most likely.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Van Gundy's hate the Pacers. Stan was mad we fired Jim O'brien last year and said our roster had no talent. Jeff probably doesn't know much past the Big Market teams these days.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Van Gundy's hate the Pacers. Stan was mad we fired Jim O'brien last year and said our roster had no talent. Jeff probably doesn't know much past the Big Market teams these days.
    Wtf? Never heard about that... I think they are both basketball-smart, but can say some stupid things.

  7. #6

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...magic-rotation

    Defending a coach
    Van Gundy is the son of a basketball coach and the brother of a former NBA coach.

    So, it should come as no surprise that Van Gundy doesn't like the Indiana Pacers' decision to fire Jim O'Brien after the Pacers started their season with a 17-27 record.

    What was surprising was that Van Gundy, apropos of nothing, opined about the Pacers' move after his postgame press conference ended Sunday night.

    "What'd you guys think of Jim O'Brien getting fired?" Van Gundy asked reporters. "Do you guys look at that team in Indiana and say, 'Wow, they have great talent? They should be winning a lot more games?' No? Me either. I was just checking.

    "I like [Pacers interim coach] Frank Vogel. I hope he does a good job, but all I'm telling you is Jim O'Brien's a damn good basketball coach, and they're not 10 games under .500 because they've got great talent in Indiana and he wasn't getting it out of 'em."

  8. #7

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Guess you were wrong Stan...

  9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  10. #8
    Member crunk-juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Purdue
    Posts
    1,291
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    maybe he didnt see our talent because JOB refused to play Hansbrough and George...

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:


  12. #9

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Yea I heard this too. He was also making excuses for the Celtics only scoring 74. Didn't give our defense an ounce of credit, but instead blamed the lockout. Don't you think a veteran team that has already competed for championships and won one would have less of an excuse? I do.

    I really hold a disdain for both Van Gundys. They are both Pacer haters. They have no respect for any of our players and swear we are bottom of the league. Middle finger to the both of them.

    That being said, I really hope we smash the Magic this year in all the games we play them. It will be like a playoff game for me for the level of hatred I've built up for the VGs and Dwight Howard.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,152

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by VanGarbage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like [Pacers interim coach] Frank Vogel. I hope he does a good job, but all I'm telling you is Jim O'Brien's a damn good basketball coach, and they're not 10 games under .500 because they've got great talent in Indiana and he wasn't getting it out of 'em.
    He must not remember this:

    1) The infamous 5 game winning streak that showed the team played better when it didn't attempt JOb ball.

    2) The last portion of last season when the team played better than at ANY time of Jim's tenure.

    3) The fact the team NEVER improved its winning percentage under Jim from one year to the next in his 4 years...AND that it got progressively worse for years.

    4) The fact Jim didn't get picked up by another NBA club. What a freaking hot commodity. He may have white burns, but he isn't too old to coach. He just sucks bad.

    5) The fact Jim didn't teach Danny Granger how to dribble the basketball and instead subscribed to a style that does not work in the NBA...extreme reliance on the 3 point shot.

    6) The fact Jim forced Josh shoot 3's and bragged on Troy Murphy. Troy goes to Jersey and almost drops out of the NBA. Now Josh and Troy are Lakers with Josh shooting a FAR better percentage and averaging almost DOUBLE the points in the same minutes....all without shooting a single 3....while also blocking far more shots, more steals and even a higher free throw percentage.

  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Oh get over it Gundy. Stop being so petty.

  17. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by JVG
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "What'd you guys think of Jim O'Brien getting fired?" Van Gundy asked reporters. "Do you guys look at that team in Indiana and say, 'Wow, they have great talent? They should be winning a lot more games?' No? Me either. I was just checking.
    Wow. Talk about some claim chowder.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  19. #13

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Van gundy is a blowhard and he will be out of a job before the season ends.

  20. #14
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    but all I'm telling you is Jim O'Brien's a damn good basketball coach
    Ahahahahahaha. Wow. That was a good one.

    No actually he's a terrible basketball coach. I have some friends who aren't Pacers fans but felt bad for us and said our team was gonna be in the dumps as long as JOB was here... They knew him well because he ran their favorite college team into the ground. (Dayton) ... He practically did the same with us. Good call, Stan.

    So we make one trade and sign one pretty good Free Agent and suddenly many ppl think we're 3rd in the East? According to Stan, We must've signed Michael Jordan.

  21. #15

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Ignoring the apparent Pacer hate by SVG, does anyone really see a Pacer on the All Star team? I just don't see the individual stats typical of an All Star appearance from anyone on this team. Much more akin to Detroit's recent champ team as far as design, sum of the parts, etc. (This has probably been pointed out somewhere else)

  22. #16
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinuven View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ignoring the apparent Pacer hate by SVG, does anyone really see a Pacer on the All Star team? I just don't see the individual stats typical of an All Star appearance from anyone on this team. Much more akin to Detroit's recent champ team as far as design, sum of the parts, etc. (This has probably been pointed out somewhere else)
    No because we are never on National TV for starters, so no one knows how talented our players are.... And also, we are a TEAM.. We don't have any guys that are gonna dominate themselves, so the stats won't tell how good our players are either.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 01-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Our top scorer last night had, what, 14 points?

    I hope nobody gets in. They don't need the ego boost.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,830

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Well, at this point I wouldn't vote for any of our guys either. It's the quintessential team effort contributing to our record. Don't think any individual guy is outstanding enough at his position to make a case.

    I disagree about the the rest of it - talent level, JOB dismissal, etc.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  27. #19
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,367

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No because we are never on National TV for starters, so no one knows how talented our players are.... And also, we are a TEAM.. We don't have any guys that are gonna dominate themselves, so the stats won't tell how good our players are either.
    That was pretty much my same line of thinking. No one on the team as it's currently constructed is bonafide All-Star. We're a TEAM similar to the Detroit Pistons with aspirations (according to a different thread) to be like the Boston Celtics. Roy Hibbert is really the only player with an outside chance of being on the All-Star team for being the 2nd best center in the league. Tyson Chandler would be the center that I could see getting the nod over Hibbert, BUT WE have the winning record.

  28. #20
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Why do we care what he says. This isnt college football where media vote factors in, in the nba it is all about wins and losses.

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,152

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    The Pacers have a lot of good players. They just don't have a top 10 or even 20 player. But PG24 has a shot to break into that group and I expect that will happen. Granger was already top 20 until Jim broke his game. As an average, our talent level is actually good. Maybe people forget we just added DWest who most people would consider one of the better PF's in the league.

  31. #22

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    in the nba it is all about wins and losses.


    Yep, Pacers 5-2. Knicks 3-4 with their Stars.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  33. #23

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6) The fact Jim forced Josh shoot 3's and bragged on Troy Murphy. Troy goes to Jersey and almost drops out of the NBA.

    Murphy with the Lakers and has had to learn to play a different type of BB. He did hit a 3 last night, but he's playing a different style game now. He attempts few and sometimes no 3's in games.

    I've said it b4 there is a reason Jimmy was unemployed as a HC when Bird phone hired him, and there is a reason he doesn't have a HC job in the NBA now. I can never foresee Jimmy as a HC in the NBA ever again. His system didn't work in Indiana for 3 1/2 years with helter skelter run n gun ball with little "D".

  34. #24
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,078
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do we care what he says. This isnt college football where media vote factors in, in the nba it is all about wins and losses.
    But a TV personality can influence All-Star voters. And if one of our Pacer's is qualified, he doesn't need VanGundy's propaganda holding them back.

    I don't care if we have one. But if one of our players plays well enough to make the team, they should be rewarded.

  35. #25

    Default Re: Jeff Van Gundy: "I wouldn't vote for a Pacer"

    You know what Jeff Van Gundy......


    He's another one of those bandwagoners who can't look outside the box at other good teams in this league.

    If you're a good team with players who are having All-Stars seasons, then you'll get what you deserve.

    If not this season, we'll be like the Hawks and get maybe 2 of our players into the All-Star game. Maybe Paul and Roy if they can improve and play consistently. Danny would be a strong candidate again.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 01-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Similar Threads

  1. We know JO will at least have one first place vote for MVP
    By Southside_Pacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 02:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •