Thread: Hibberts REBs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hibberts REBs

Hibbert has really been hitting the boards this year...His offseason work is paying off

Default Re: Hibberts REBs

That's what working with nene and Tim Duncan will do for ya! and the added lbs don't hurt either...

I love the way he's starting the season but I'm still a bit skeptical. Last season about 20 games in we were saying he would be the 2nd all star center in the east then Roy started to slump. For some reason this season feels a lot different and I feel Roy has got over the hump for good and the numbers we are seeing now are ones we can expect to see the rest of the season. Keep up the good work big fella!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

He could be a top 3 center if he would be more aggressive and play above the rim. On a positive note, I've liked the year he's had so far. If he keeps it up I don't see who else would make the All-Star team over Hibbert as backup C to Howard if he's still in the East.

RLeWorm

but when we lose a game, everyone is going to say wow Hibbert sucks, lets trade him blah blah blah. We lose one game and everyone wants to blow up the team.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RLeWorm For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert has pretty much been our best player so far this season, and that's without being featured enough in the offense.

it's sustainable too. He doesn't get moved so easily now, rebounding and defense are consistent with effort.

He's averaging double digit boards consistently in barely 30 mpg. He deserves his props.

Our offense also runs most smoothly when he touches the ball in the post at least once during the play.

Actually I think the big deal with Roy is he's trying to focus on being a positive force whether his offensive game is there or not. I think that's why we've seen him play well in every game. We've seen a couple games where he started off poor offensively. Last year that would have spelled doom for his entire game. Not so much this year. I think we have that to look forward too.

It's worth pointing out however, that I think focusing the offense on him isn't the best idea. He's a nice option but by no means is he someone we can realistically count on every night.

Again what I like is his bad offensive games this year still show him grabbing rebounds and defending.

One more point worth pointing out- He received a lot of negative critiques last year because his supposed lack of rebounding. That really wasn't the case. He averaged per 36, 9.8 rebounds per game. Which is strong. Not great, but someone like Roy will never be a great rebounder, but it was strong. Once he had one of those bad starts offensively, he'd let it get to his head, play bad defense, get into quick foul trouble and get him out of the game. His double digit rebounding this year every game I'd argue is not a case of improved rebounding, but actually just a case of him staying calm, and in the game for a minimum 30 minutes a night. Essentially, he's doing his best Tyson Chandler impersonation, and that's staying on the court for a 10 and 10 every night. That is incredibly valuable.

We still need to focus on establishing a strong offense through truly talented offensive players. Not to say Roy isn't talented, but I never see him as a big time offensive player. Now can PG be a big threat? We can only hope, and the team should focus it's efforts on developing whatever O-game he can provide. That may just be stellar outside shooting, but if thats the case, then let's work on using him off screens so he can get open for more shots every game.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sobleski View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the way he's starting the season but I'm still a bit skeptical. Last season about 20 games in we were saying he would be the 2nd all star center in the east then Roy started to slump. For some reason this season feels a lot different and I feel Roy has got over the hump for good and the numbers we are seeing now are ones we can expect to see the rest of the season. Keep up the good work big fella!
    You forgot that 20 games into last season JOB was still trying to fit square pegs in rounds holes and was yanking Roy's pt around. JOB was trying to force Roy into his system, instead of being like Vogel who tries to make the system best fit our players. It really was maddening what Jim did to our team last year. One game we looked tops of the league because our young guys played well. Then the next game Jim would yank their minutes around and mess up the rotation for no reason and we would lose. Hibbert has looked stellar defensively since Vogel took over and that is the credit he is not getting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sobleski View Post
    I love the way he's starting the season but I'm still a bit skeptical. Last season about 20 games in we were saying he would be the 2nd all star center in the east then Roy started to slump.
    Then he let his opponents get into his head with that "you're not improving" thing.

Oh wait. That was the coach.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Then he let his opponents get into his head with that "you're not improving" thing.

Oh wait. That was the coach.
    Another JOB moment. I was livid when I heard that quote from JOB. Hibbert was getting GREAT consideration for the MIP award, and he was putting up the numbers to prove. JOB made some comment about Hibbert wasn't improving and although the media was mentioning Hibbert as MIP candidate, JOB stated " I (THE FREAKING COACH) don't consider him to be." .

It was probably 1-2 weeks after that when Hibbert just mysteriously "disappeared".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hibbert probably has the best chance at making the All-Star game... Because of lack of other talent mainly. Who else deserves it more? Only Howard. I think we will get Miami fans' votes too.. One of my best friends is a Miami fan and he has a lot of respect for Hibbert, says hes our biggest asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    No because we are never on National TV for starters, so no one knows how talented our players are.... And also, we are a TEAM.. We don't have any guys that are gonna dominate themselves, so the stats won't tell how good our players are either.
    That was pretty much my same line of thinking. No one on the team as it's currently constructed is bonafide All-Star. We're a TEAM similar to the Detroit Pistons with aspirations (according to a different thread) to be like the Boston Celtics. Roy Hibbert is really the only player with an outside chance of being on the All-Star team for being the 2nd best center in the league. Tyson Chandler would be the center that I could see getting the nod over Hibbert, BUT WE have the winning record.

FYI: The above information came from a differen thread.

If Howard goes out West I would double his chances of making the ASG.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he's being a lot more consistent and playing within himself this year, instead of trying too hard and heaping entirely too much responsibility on himself. He's playing a lot more loose and confident. He's playing like Tim Duncan lite out there.

This is the Hibbert I want to keep seeing. 13/10 and over .500 from the field is perfectly fine from the center position.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 01-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Banned
    Mood

Not only is he rebounding incredibly well (10.3 rpg in 29.4 mpg; 12.6 per-36), but he's shooting .527 from the field.

I really hope Hibbert continues to hit the boards the way he has. His rebounding and blocks have really dropped off the past 2 years about 20 or so games into the season. Last year he was the league leader in blocks and fell right off. Hopefully he's developed the strength and conditioning to keep the intensity this year. We really need that force in the paint.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

He seems to finally "get it." It's just about effort and focusing on the defensive end and rebounding, no matter what happens with his offense. I think it was in that interview he did with SLAM Magazine, or perhaps a Conrad piece, Roy said he just wants to focus on those things more than anything, and his offense will just come to him.

He doesn't have to force the offense because we have a number of options now, and it really has done wonders for Roy.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post

Hibbert probably has the best chance at making the All-Star game... Because of lack of other talent mainly. Who else deserves it more?

Have you watched SPENCER HAWES play this year? He's 3rd leading rebr, behind only Howard and Love, and is averaging 13.5/11.8 and shooting FG at a 65% clip.

Keep an eye on Greg Monroe as well. 15.7/9.

Plenty of time b4 the AS game for one of the 3 to surface above the others.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Have you watched SPENCER HAWES play this year? He's 3rd leading rebr, behind only Howard and Love, and is averaging 13.5/11.8 and shooting FG at a 65% clip.

Keep an eye on Greg Monroe as well. 15.7/9.

Plenty of time b4 the AS game for one of the 3 to surface above the others.
    Interesting. I just looked at his stats, and dude is putting in WORK across board. He's arguably the 2nd best center in the Eastern conference.