Thread: Dwight Howard for Amare?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Dwight Howard for Amare?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...o-rent-howard/

The Knicks have opened talks that would send Amare Stoudemire to Orlando in a swap to rent Dwight Howard, reports Donny Marshall — former NBA player and current CSNNE reporter — on NBC SportsTalk Thursday. In the video above the talk of the trade starts at the 3:30 mark.

There are a whole lot of questions around this one. Starting with, the Knicks are not one of the teams on Howard’s list where he said he would sign an extension (Nets, Lakers, Mavericks and Magic). If they get him, the Knicks would essentially risk just renting him because Howard could opt out at the end of the season and leave with the Knicks getting no compensation. Clearly, if they got him they think they could get him to change his mind and sign long term.

Thing is the Knicks already have a good center — they just signed Tyson Chandler to a four-year, $58 million deal. Is the plan to ship Chandler out, too? Trade him to Orlando for the Hedo Turkoglu deal? Because the cost of keeping Howard (who will get a new max deal) and Chandler would put the Knicks way into the new, increasingly stiff luxury tax.

Would the Knicks really ship out Stoudemire, the guy who came in to inspire the fan base after the Knicks missed on LeBron James? That just seems cold.

This report comes just after we heard the Warriors are aggressively going after Howard as a rental.

Two things. First, if and when the Magic do decide to seriously entertain offers for Howard there will be bids from 29 other teams. He’s the best center walking the planet, a franchise anchor, you’d be foolish not to at least take a shot.

Second, if I were the Magic and were trying to get better offers out of the Nets and Lakers, I would be leaking all kinds of “hey, team X wants to give us all this just to rent Howard” rumors in an effort to drive up the price. I have no doubt Marshall heard this from a reliable source, I’m just saying this plays into the Magic’s hands. When you hear NBA rumors, think about who benefits from having that information public, it gives everything a different perspective.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dwight Howard for Amare?

Donny Marshall is the guy who claimed Rondo would be traded out west a few weeks ago. I'm not sure he has much credibility, really.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see why the Magic would do this. You'd have to think they could get more complete offers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'm sure the Lakers would swap Bynum or Pau for Howard, and that's a better deal..

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Here was the conversation they had:

Ring…Ring!

Otis Smith: Hello!

Knicks to Otis Smith: I know you’ve destroyed the Magic roster and p*ssed off Howard so much he wants a trade but we have wasted our cap space too and still have a losing record so can you please help us salvage this mess we’ve created?

Otis Smith to Knicks: So you want me to trade my franchise player, the best center in the league whom every team would like to have, for a one dimensional player who can’t defend, has two surgically repaired knees and is still owed almost $80 million on an uninsured contract?

Dialtone……………………………………………………………….

Knicks to Otis Smith: Hello….Hello…Hello…Hello

Knicks to Donny Marshall: (after he asks why the Knicks still suck after blowing all of their cap space) "We have opened talks that would send Stoudemire to Orlando for Howard."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

BBQ

ik the knicks get howard but it makes no sense for them if they have chandler

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donny Marshall is the guy who claimed Rondo would be traded out west a few weeks ago. I'm not sure he has much credibility, really.
    I don't even know when Donny Marshall became a "reporter".

He's a post game analyst and color man (and absolutely appalling at it, awful). He never really broke any news. I very much doubt he has any sort of source. He was probably just speculating about a possible trade, just like we fans do in message boards. There's nothing to this rumor. Not sure why suddenly people started paying attention to Donny Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    You don't hesitate to bring in Dwight Howard because of Tyson Chandler.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't Chandler just slide over to power forward? That paint would be a nightmare for anyone trying to get a shot off.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    trading for a Howard rental also tells me that the knicks want to dump amare's soon-to-be albatross 4-yr contract (and knees) to orlando.

Why wouldn't Howard re-sign in NY? I thought he wanted to go to a big market.