38 31.67%
  • Don't have much to say

6 5.00%
  • I can't stand him

18 15.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quinn Buckner

Default Re: Quinn Buckner

He is at the very least in the top half of the local analysts.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arrogance?. That is not a word I expected to see.
    I don't think arrogant is quite right, either.

I would use the word condescending. But it's not so much in an arrogant way, which is unusual, but more of an ignorant way.

He speaks down to the audience, assuming that we don't know much of what he is talking about. We actually do, but he just doesn't realize that. Clark and other good analysts don't do that.

He also just talks too much, which, in my opinion, is probably some strange combination of insecurity and know-it-all-ness.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As someone who has done basketball color commentary (albeit at a HS level and on radio), I like Quinn. Even when he starts speaking in tungs (like when Tom Pritchard at IU had that huge slam against Minnesota last winter). It's clearly his style and it works for him. It never would worked for me, but then again, thats probably why I'm not doing color commentary anymore.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

The thing that drives me nuts about him is how frequently he can't see obvious things live and on replay. Like when LeBron twisted his ankle: the first replay they showed clearly demonstrated that he did stepped on George's foot. But he didn't see it. Didn't see it on the next replay. Or the next. Or next next. On and on until he finally figured it out.

This seems to happen at least a couple times a game. "That wasn't a travel! Look at this replay! See, it wasn't. And this replay clearly shows it wasn't a travel. And this replay... Wait... Uh... Oh there. He got him with the foot." Or something like that. It drives me nuts.

Then again, I'm the kind of fan who gets annoyed when the fans in Conseco boo "bad calls" that aren't bad calls.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Then again, I'm the kind of fan who gets annoyed when the fans in Conseco boo "bad calls" that aren't bad calls.
    Better not set next to me then, I boo anyone and everything not associated with the Pacers.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    I love Quinn and prefer him over Clark. It's more fun. SMOTHERED CHICKEN!
    I love the smothered chicken line but overall don't really like Quinn as a color commentator.

Although he's been better so far this year, I just don't get the feeling that he knows much about the other 29 teams in the NBA. The Clippers, Nets, Wizards, Hawks, and Heat commentators are so much better at breaking down the game.

I know I sometimes make fun of his messing words up, but I really like him. He is a basketball legend and always has great insight.

Anytime you guys are feeling critical of our announcers, go watch a Celtics game cast by their announcers. Or Toronto.

The Pacers TV announcers are always very objective and hardly ever biased.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 01-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't think arrogant is quite right, either.

I would use the word condescending. But it's not so much in an arrogant way, which is unusual, but more of an ignorant way.

He speaks down to the audience, assuming that we don't know much of what he is talking about. We actually do, but he just doesn't realize that. Clark and other good analysts don't do that.

He also just talks too much, which, in my opinion, is probably some strange combination of insecurity and know-it-all-ness.
    All I ever read into that, when he does it, is that he's thinking of the much more casual viewer and is trying to be helpful to them at the moment.

That reminds me a little of how people would get critical of John Madden for 'stating the obvious', to which I always felt 'to some, but not others'.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    There is something about the polls for Brooke, Quinn, and eventally Chris that I don't like. I find them petty and childish. It is one thing to play arm-chair quarterback and rank players, but it is another thing to openly criticize these fine people. It's a free country, and so I will continue to do my best to ignore these threads.
    Huh?

I like him. His laugh always makes me laugh. He's not Clark, but it's almost unfair to compare anyone to Clark since IMO he's the best in the game right now. Buckner knows basketball, and that's what matters.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I really do not like Buckner. His contstant stammering and giggling at his own terribly unfunny jokes gets under my skin.

But certainly he isn't as bad as Tommy Heinsohn or Stacey King. There are much worse out there.

I suppose I could also dislike him so much because we were spoiled by Clark Kellog for half our games and the difference was jarring.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    But certainly he isn't as bad as Tommy Heinsohn or Stacey King. There are much worse out there.
    I'll throw Cleveland's Austin Carr into that craptastic color commentator pool. He is abysmal and a complete homer.

I don't see an issue with local NBA coverage guys being homers...

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

When he laughs, I laugh. Even though whatever he's laughing at really isn't that funny. His laugh and the fact that he can laugh for a good while is the funny part.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He is at the very least in the top half of the local analysts.
    Agreed. Easily top-10 to me. He's not always very eloquent but his basketball insights are pretty good. Good analysis.

Undefeated

I think he's hilarious. I love when he starts rambling about something, then he realises he said something wrong, then he starts trying to backtrack without going all the way back.

Also, he's got a nice Pacers bias, which I always enjoy when I'm getting pissed off at the refs.
    Danger Zone

Undefeated

[QUOTE=FlavaDave;1338590]The thing that drives me nuts about him is how frequently he can't see obvious things live and on replay. Like when LeBron twisted his ankle: the first replay they showed clearly demonstrated that he did stepped on George's foot. But he didn't see it. Didn't see it on the next replay. Or the next. Or next next. On and on until he finally figured it out.

This seems to happen at least a couple times a game. "That wasn't a travel! Look at this replay! See, it wasn't. And this replay clearly shows it wasn't a travel. And this replay... Wait... Uh... Oh there. He got him with the foot." Or something like that. It drives me nuts.

QUOTE]

This is exactly why I like him! "Ohh, George got hammered on that drive. Got taken out. Ok, well not hammered this time, but he's been getting hammered. Lots of hammering out there. With George. The refs are letting them play today. George needs to keep driving to get hammered....."

I made up the above, but I love it when he starts down a road, realizes he was wrong, and starts rambling on. Also, he's got a good commentator voice and he seems like a really nice guy.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This is exactly why I like him! "Ohh, George got hammered on that drive. Got taken out. Ok, well not hammered this time, but he's been getting hammered. Lots of hammering out there. With George. The refs are letting them play today. George needs to keep driving to get hammered....."

I made up the above, but I love it when he starts down a road, realizes he was wrong, and starts rambling on. Also, he's got a good commentator voice and he seems like a really nice guy.
    LOL.... That sounds like something he would say too.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I don't see an issue with local NBA coverage guys being homers...
    You should hear a game done by:

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwithdeath View Post
    Tommy Heinsohn or Stacey King.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Nah...the WORSE for me was when Jon Barry did the first playoff game between the Pacers and Bulls on ABC. I really believe that he would have cried if the Bulls would have lost that first game.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    The local announcers SHOULD be homers. About 97% of their viewing audience are theoretically fans of the team they cover (well, except for maybe in LA and NY).

If Heinsohn or King WEREN'T homers in their markets, they probably wouldn't survive long.

Nah...the WORSE for me was when Jon Barry did the first playoff game between the Pacers and Bulls on ABC. I really believe that he would have cried if the Bulls would have lost that first game.
    Now THAT's where I have a problem with homerism. National game announcers SHOULD be neutral and Barry should have been benched for the rest of the playoffs for that stunt.

I like Quinn, he's ok.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That was actually Clark. An epic line though
    oops, I must have got them mixxed up.. I like Clark , and Buckner.... well he is head and shoulders better than a good majority of the announcers around the league ..
    My only problem with Quinn, really is his incessant rambling on about something stupid when there is some good action going on , on the court that he should be doing the play by play... Other than that, I am fine with him..
    lol yea hehe @ smothered chicken
    Last edited by Kemo; 01-07-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quinn does know basketball and is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but I don't care for him as an announcer that much. He is a poor communicator, he has a horrible time getting out what his point is. States the obvious way to often.

I like that he is rooting for the Pacers, but not a sickening homer.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    He speaks down to the audience, assuming that we don't know much of what he is talking about. We actually do, but he just doesn't realize that.
    Well, WE know what he's talking about, but we're all big basketball fans. To the common fan that's probably tuning back into Pacers basketball for the first time in 6 years, they're probably getting something out of his "speaking down to".

I love Quinn. I honestly don't understand the negatively thrown around here about that man at all. He's always been a terrific announcer. Love him. Pacer games won't be the same when he (and Denari, for that matter) aren't doing them anymore. And not only does he do a fantastic job as a Commentator, but he's an extremely nice guy, as well.

All of the FSI gang do a fantastic job, in my eyes. Now, their producers and behind the scenes people, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Interviewing a player from the opposing team if the Pacers lose? No one wants to see that. Showing the opposing team's highlights going to break, even if the Pacers are leading (*cough* tonight at halftime against Boston), that's another dumb move on their part.

Other than that, no complaints from the broadcasting team.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post: