38 31.67%
  • Don't have much to say

6 5.00%
  • I can't stand him

18 15.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quinn Buckner

Default Re: Quinn Buckner

I was just thinking about another Quinn moment...

"What happened? I honestly didn't see play. That's what happened? Well, if my partner saw it and he says that what happened then it happended. I got your back even if we went to court together."

lol...I fell out when I heard that comment from him. I really like Quinn, and he makes me laugh. I guess I'm weird. I enjoy comedy in my sports commentary.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 01-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Come all without, come all within. You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just thinking about another Quinn moment...

"What happened? I honestly didn't see play. That's what happened? Well, if my partner saw it and he says that what happens then it happended. I got your back even if we went to court together."

lol...I fell out when I heard that comment from him. I really like Quinn, and he makes me laugh. I guess I'm weird. I enjoy comedy in my sports commentary.
    haha i remember that.Was that against the Raptors or the Cavs?Anyway i think(he definitely said it actually,just don't know if that was from the same moment) he also said that Vogel blocked his view as he was standing right in front of him.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    haha i remember that.Was that against the Raptors or the Cavs?Anyway i think(he definitely said it actually,just don't know if that was from the same moment) he also said that Vogel blocked his view as he was standing right in front of him.lol
    Yep, that was the game. It was probably the Cavs the game, because I only get the feeds of the home games on NBALP.

As a person, I like him but I can't stand his comments about always knowing exactly what every player is thinking all the time. I like Clark alot better.

Always interesting when Quinn passes on some inside info on players, like

"Rondo gets his hands on lots of balls"

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    The thing that drives me nuts about him is how frequently he can't see obvious things live and on replay. Like when LeBron twisted his ankle: the first replay they showed clearly demonstrated that he did stepped on George's foot. But he didn't see it. Didn't see it on the next replay. Or the next. Or next next. On and on until he finally figured it out.

This seems to happen at least a couple times a game. "That wasn't a travel! Look at this replay! See, it wasn't. And this replay clearly shows it wasn't a travel. And this replay... Wait... Uh... Oh there. He got him with the foot." Or something like that. It drives me nuts.

Then again, I'm the kind of fan who gets annoyed when the fans in Conseco boo "bad calls" that aren't bad calls.
    Ditto down the line.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The local announcers SHOULD be homers. About 97% of their viewing audience are theoretically fans of the team they cover (well, except for maybe in LA and NY).

If Heinsohn or King WEREN'T homers in their markets, they probably wouldn't survive long.
    I totally disagree. I don't want to hear our own fans booing correct calls because Indy is supposed to be about basketball knowledge. Ditto for our broadcasters.

A visitor should come into town, turn on the local game one night and think "damn, these people know their basketball". We have cheerleaders already, don't sugar coat the truth.

The color is supposed to add insights and knowledge IMO, which is why you hire formers players and coaches. If they are just supposed to root for the home team and be entertaining then why not bring in comedians and have them just talk about how every call is BS and then make a joke about the ref's mother.

To me that kind of thing just seems really ignorant and low rent, and it speaks poorly of the audience that keeps tuning into it.

Quinn Buckner has been places in the basketball world very few have ever been,
    or will ever be. He has been successful on every level, is truly a champion in
    both his sport of choice and in life.

When Quinn Buckner talks I LISTEN.

When I first started at the Pacers, I was fortunate enough to report to Quinn. He's a businessman and a basketball guy. That's a rare breed. Usually, it's one or the other as both require years of experience.

I learned quickly why guys like Quinn are really successful. They are always willing to help out. This is a guy that has won on every level and has great relationships with some of the best basketball players or coaches of all time (Larry, MJ, Coach Knight), yet he's always there if you need him for a corporate function, a meet-and-greet with college kids, or for business advice.

As far as commentating, there aren't many guys out there that can go from college games to pros on back-to-back nights. That's a lot of preparation, especially on the collegiate level where player turnover is so high.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RobfromPacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobfromPacers View Post
    When I first started at the Pacers, I was fortunate enough to report to Quinn. He's a businessman and a basketball guy. That's a rare breed. Usually, it's one or the other as both require years of experience.

I learned quickly why guys like Quinn are really successful. They are always willing to help out. This is a guy that has won on every level and has great relationships with some of the best basketball players or coaches of all time (Larry, MJ, Coach Knight), yet he's always there if you need him for a corporate function, a meet-and-greet with college kids, or for business advice.

As far as commentating, there aren't many guys out there that can go from college games to pros on back-to-back nights. That's a lot of preparation, especially on the collegiate level where player turnover is so high.
    Hey just pass it too Quinn for us that he shouldn't make excuses for bad officiating.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

I (in a smaller way) feel the same as the OP. But not enough to create a thread putting the man down. No one is perfect. I do have a solution though...turn down your tv and listen to a really good play-by-play guy, Mr. Boyle.

The broadcast team is really weak and I feel that Quinn feels like he has to pick up the slack for Chris because he is so bad. Chris controls the broadcast and does a really poor job. He never sets Quinn up and I think Quinn trys to do too much because of that. All in all the whole group is bad. The new girl looks lost and a little odd. The glasses improve her look and that says a lot! Austin gives me hope because he is getting better each time he is on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Quinn, but he talks too much AND HE WON'T STOP WHAT HE'S SAYING TO GO BACK TO THE GAME EVEN IF SOMETHING REALLY EXCITING IS HAPPENING! Many announcers now days seem to forget that it about the basketball not about the announcers!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD. View Post
    I (in a smaller way) feel the same as the OP. But not enough to create a thread putting the man down. No one is perfect. I do have a solution though...turn down your tv and listen to a really good play-by-play guy, Mr. Boyle.
    Oops. I skipped to the last page of this thread thinking that this is the "Quinn, shut up thread". Sorry, Scot Pollard. [COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]See, no one is perfect. I'm just as conceited as anyone else because I thought for sure everyone on PD read my post and were all sitting around discussing my confusion with their loved ones, when in reality, none of you give a damn what I wrote anyway. I'm no better than QB.[/COLOR]

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think Quinn is the anti-homer, he'll be apologetic of the terrible calls and when some other player on the opposing team complains he'll be there to point out why that player is upset and is justified. I just get tired of hearing OUR commentators hardly ever give us a break it's even worse when we're losing is when I usually just mute the game and flick on the radio even if it is delayed. He may be a nice guy and he's been successful as a player not really as a result of him contributing but just being in the right places at the right time. I just think we could find someone else that could give us something more than what Quinn contributes. His inane giggling at his own terribly unfunny jokes. I really don't know how Denari maintains his demeanor and professionalism with Quinn.

Like I said in another post I have no problem with OUR commentators being homers, I'm not saying I want someone like Stacey King to do our commentary but it really seems like there could be a bit of a middle ground but generally in favor of our team in terms of the 50/50 calls.

Maybe it's just a personal preference but I just can't stand buckner's style of commentary. I'm sure he's a good person and all that but I really go into each broadcast hoping that austin croshere will be doing quinn's job for that night.