Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: high school thuggery

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    I just got done watching the Wizard game and Chris Singleton did something similar to Klove. It was called a flagrant 1 as it should be. It didnt look that bad because Love is bigger than Chris but it was similar to #1.

  2. #27
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conundrum.
    Not sure what you're getting at unless you're claiming I was a pussy for leaving. So he didn't want to fight me, and the game was over as everyone was leaving to avoid getting shot, but I was supposed to wait for him to walk home and come back?

    I actually fought a guy who pulled a gun on me and a girl and was shot in the ribs in the process saving the girl I was with from harm (hence the name I chose xBulletproof, because I am still alive), and I can tell you nobody is a pussy for avoiding that if possible. Trust me. A bullet bouncing inside your ribs is a feeling I can't even describe. However if you're implying I'm a pussy for leaving because I ran from the situation, you've completely picked the wrong guy.

    A lurker here who rarely posts can confirm this btw, I've known flibertygibits almost my whole life.

    _
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 01-09-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error.

  3. #28
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Much respect XB! Back to the original post, accidental elbow to the nose, flattening it.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  4. #29
    Member Flibertygibits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    33
    Posts
    153
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lurker here who rarely posts can confirm this btw, I've known flibertygibits almost my whole life.
    What did I do to get brought into the this?
    Last edited by Flibertygibits; 01-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.

  5. #30
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by Flibertygibits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did I do to get brought into the this?
    Ha. It's the internet, I was waiting for what felt like the inevitable "omg you're making stuff up to sound like you're tough" argument. That's all. Preemptive strike.

  6. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    FWIW

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...deo-shows.html

    Michael Christenson of Yakima said he was only trying to illustrate a point to a small group of Highland High School students and parents about the need for better basketball officials.


    To his surprise and dismay, however, the video he uploaded of several hard fouls during the Cowiche school's boys game at Connell on Dec. 22 has gone viral, collecting more than 25,000 hits since the video was posted on YouTube on Dec. 28.


    The video, which is just over 5 minutes long, showcases two imposing Connell players -- seniors Cole Vanderbilt and Kennan VanHollebeke -- committing six personal fouls during a 38-37 home win over the Scots.
    Because of the physical nature of the fouls, particularly those committed by Vanderbilt, the video, "Flagrant foul no-calls Highland @ Connell 12/22/11," has drawn considerable attention. Several of the 87 comments are negative, even cruel, in nature.


    "(No.) 34 (Vanderbilt) should be a wrestler. Totally unacceptable," wrote one poster.


    "(No.) 34 looks like a football player. He doesn't seem to be any asset to the team other than to beat down players on the other team," wrote another.


    Vanderbilt, at 6-foot-3, 280 pounds, and VanHollebeke, at 6-4, 235, both played offensive and defensive line on the Eagles' 1A state-championship football team in the fall. Both are listed as centers on the basketball team.


    After Christenson uploaded the video to Facebook, he transferred it to YouTube. A day later, it was picked up by guyism.com and posted under the heading, "VIDEO: The dirtiest basketball player in America."


    That couldn't be any further from the truth, according to Vanderbilt's grandmother, Karen Vanderbilt of Connell.


    "He's a nice, young student in high school," she said of her grandson, who couldn't be reached for comment.


    Vanderbilt has taken the negative attention to heart, but his team has rallied to support him, said Connell coach Oscar Garza.


    "He's a tough kid, but those that know him know he's a teddy bear," Garza said. "My 7-year-old son loves him and lights up when he's around. But on (YouTube) he's the world's meanest, ugliest kid. It's not fair, but I just want him to know his teammates and coaches are behind him."
    The role of social media in high school sports is a complicated one, and there is little control over who can post what on the internet and where the information goes from there.


    "Everybody has the right to their opinion. Not everybody thinks about all the consequences about what their actions will be," Eagles' Athletic Director Steve Frucci said. "It goes to show what can happen in today's day and age. Whoever can afford that technology can do anything they want."


    Christenson, 32, said that his intention was not for the video to go much further than the small community outside Yakima that surrounds the basketball program. His nephew, Tanner Christenson, plays guard for the Scots.


    After posting it online so Highland players could see it, he said he could no longer control the direction in which the video would head.


    "Thinking about it now, I maybe could have contacted the WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Activities Association) first, but I wasn't expecting this," he said. "It wasn't my intention to single (Vanderbilt) out. If you look closely at my video, his name is never mentioned. What I wanted to single out was the officiating. If they do their jobs, there are no hard fouls and no video."


    David Pierce, a 30-year veteran of the Tri-Cities Sports Officials Association, took issue with Christenson's contention, saying the referees did their job during the game.

    "There were no problems and no fights. It's getting painted as flagrant fouls or intentional fouls, but it doesn't have anything to do with that," Pierce said. "The guy took a camera and jaded it. He didn't show the whole game. He showed six plays."


    Garza said the game was a physical one that pushed some boundaries as far as trash talking, and his players responded. He said each of the fouls occurred in the game's first 10 minutes, but the game settled down from there.


    "There was a lot of heckling going on. After the first 10 minutes, Kennan had two fouls and Colt had three. I took them out and calmed them down," he said. "They played just as hard in the second half and only had one foul."

    Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

  7. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Two more follow ups:

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...link=mirelated

    The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association released a statement Thursday afternoon about the video of a Highland-Connell basketball game featuring multiple hard fouls.


    The statement reads:

    "WIAA statement concerning the Connell-Highland Basketball game that was played on Dec. 22nd:


    The WIAA is currently working with the two schools, officials and Washington Officials Association on the situation. The WIAA has the utmost concern for the safety of the student-athletes and the welfare of the game."


    The video shows Connell's Cole Vanderbilt and Kennan VanHollebeke delivering some hard fouls, some of which could be considered flagrant or intentional, according to some school officials.


    The video was posted by Michael Christenson of Yakima, an uncle of Highland's Tanner Christenson. Michael Christenson told the Tri-City Herald on Wednesday that he wasn't expecting the video to go viral. The video has been linked by Yahoo! Sports and Deadspin.


    Christenson emailed a copy of the video and demands for action to nine Tri-City Herald employees. He also used a Twitter account to send the video to the NCAA, ESPN, the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Tony Kornheiser, Mike Wilbon, TNT's Kenny Smith, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith and Jim Rome. The Twitter account has since been deleted.


    The video has drawn a variety of criticisms online, with many commentators branding Vanderbilt as a bully.

    ______
    Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

    __________________________________________________ ___

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...link=mirelated

    After hard week, Connell just plays ball



    BURBANK -- After more than a week of playing on computer screens across the world, the Connell boys basketball team played on hardwood Friday.


    The Eagles, minus Cole Vanderbilt, played their first game since a video showing Vanderbilt and Kennan VanHollebeke committing six hard fouls went viral on the internet.


    Connell lost 47-35 at Columbia-Burbank in an uneventful Southeast Central Athletic Conference East division game played in front of about 1,500, as Connell fans flocked to the gym in support.


    "The community is injured; wounded right now," said Michael Davidson, whose son plays for Connell. "The truth is we have wonderful people in that community. I'm proud to be from Connell. I'm proud to raise my family there."


    While Connell rallied around the players featured in the video, the uproar caused by the YouTube video which shows six plays from a Dec. 22 Highland-Connell game continued to swirl.


    From hate emails to school officials to countless phone calls to the Vanderbilt family to Facebook pages dedicated to the pair to a fake Twitter account in one of the player's names, the controversy raged for another day.


    "There were some things there that can't be excused," Davidson said of the Dec. 22 game against the Cowiche team. "You can't defend some of those fouls, but it's over. No one got killed. No one got injured.


    "Reading the comments, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion."


    Friday's game went off without a hitch. VanHollebeke received the biggest cheer from the large Connell contingent, which outnumbered the Burbank side.


    The game was called evenly by the officials, as the Eagles were called for 16 fouls and the Coyotes 13. VanHollebeke fouled out with 5:52 left in the game, after knocking Nathan Roberts to the ground. VanHollebeke immediately helped him up and hustled off the floor.


    "I've been playing them my whole life," Columbia-Burbank's Heath Lawrence said.

    "They play good, tough basketball. They don't mean anything."


    Vanderbilt did not travel to the game and it is not known if he will play again this season. Connell coaches were told by school district officials not to speak to the media.


    Earlier Friday, Yakima's Michael Christenson -- who made the video of the fouls and posted it to YouTube -- said by email that he sent the video to the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association on Dec. 29. Christenson is the uncle of a Highland player.


    Christenson emailed it to Cindy Adsit, the assistant executive director at the WIAA, which oversees all high school athletics and activities in the state.


    Adsit told Christenson in an email to him on Jan. 2 that she would forward the video to the local officials' association and the Connell athletic director.


    She couldn't be reached for comment.


    Christenson did release a statement Friday, saying he hoped internet commentators would stop the personal attacks against the players.


    "These young men are not the reason I made the video public. Did the players make some mistakes on the court? Yes. Do I feel there were several other people involved with this game that could have stepped in to avoid such dangerous fouls? Absolutely. They did not however, and that is the real issue here. Player safety was not a priority in this basketball game.


    "I ask that people who view the video refrain from making any personal attacks against the players and their families, and not lose sight of the real issue here. I hope the WIAA will make changes that ensure player safety for all of our high school student-athletes in the future."


    North Franklin School District Superintendent Gregg Taylor told the Herald on Thursday that he met with the team and the coaches and discussed the situation earlier this week. He is not anticipating doling out any further punishment.

    Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

    Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

  8. #33
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,487

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    I'm glad this ADULT'S grandmother thinks he is a nice young man in high school.

    Doesn't change the fact that I think he's dirty. Acting like those plays were "taken out of context" or "jaded" is absurd. Kermit Washington's punch on Rudy T was taken out of context too I guess.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    I did not catch it at first, but anyone else find it off this kid did not want the video to go viral, just tweeted it to ESPN?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  11. #35

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what you're getting at unless you're claiming I was a pussy for leaving. So he didn't want to fight me, and the game was over as everyone was leaving to avoid getting shot, but I was supposed to wait for him to walk home and come back?

    I actually fought a guy who pulled a gun on me and a girl and was shot in the ribs in the process saving the girl I was with from harm (hence the name I chose xBulletproof, because I am still alive), and I can tell you nobody is a pussy for avoiding that if possible. Trust me. A bullet bouncing inside your ribs is a feeling I can't even describe. However if you're implying I'm a pussy for leaving because I ran from the situation, you've completely picked the wrong guy.

    A lurker here who rarely posts can confirm this btw, I've known flibertygibits almost my whole life.

    _
    E-thugs need e-hugs.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  13. #36
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    E-thugs need e-hugs.
    The last post was too much so I deleted it. So I'll simply sum it up like this. There's a huge difference between being willing to defend yourself and being a thug.

    I was a victim of the "thug" who tried to kill me to keep me from calling to report the car wreck he caused because he had drugs in his car. I will defend myself whether it be from a fat kid on a basketball court trying to hurt someone, or some actual thug who tries to kill me to protect his drugs from being found by the police.

    If that makes me a thug as well to you, then so be it. Nothing I can do about that. Yet being the victim of an attempted murder over nothing of my own fault and then to have some wanna be smart *** behind a PC imply that I'm any type of thug because I'm willing to defend myself? Wow. Awesome. I'll remind the girl, or her family of that the next time they thank me for saving her life.

    It's funny to be called an 'e-thug' from someone who's willing to sit behind his PC and lob insults, and jokes about me personally that you wouldn't make in person, doesn't that make you the internet tough guy? I know you wouldn't say it in person because anyone I tell the story to, and they see the scars all over my body from it never react that way. On the internet though, someone always has to act that way. So way to be a hypocrite, internet tough guy.

    _
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 01-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.

  14. #37
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    I thought it was a pretty funny line.

  15. #38

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The last post was too much so I deleted it. So I'll simply sum it up like this. There's a huge difference between being willing to defend yourself and being a thug.

    I was a victim of the "thug" who tried to kill me to keep me from calling to report the car wreck he caused because he had drugs in his car. I will defend myself whether it be from a fat kid on a basketball court trying to hurt someone, or some actual thug who tries to kill me to protect his drugs from being found by the police.

    If that makes me a thug as well to you, then so be it. Nothing I can do about that. Yet being the victim of an attempted murder over nothing of my own fault and then to have some wanna be smart *** behind a PC imply that I'm any type of thug because I'm willing to defend myself? Wow. Awesome. I'll remind the girl, or her family of that the next time they thank me for saving her life.

    It's funny to be called an 'e-thug' from someone who's willing to sit behind his PC and lob insults, and jokes about me personally that you wouldn't make in person, doesn't that make you the internet tough guy? I know you wouldn't say it in person because anyone I tell the story to, and they see the scars all over my body from it never react that way. On the internet though, someone always has to act that way. So way to be a hypocrite, internet tough guy.

    _
    I'm only advocating hugs. Who could be against hugs? Besides thugs. Which is why they need hugs.

    Are you anti-hug?

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  17. #39
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: high school thuggery

    1, 3 and 5 should have him thrown off the team. ****!! MY HIGH SCHOOL THREW OFF A GUY FOR A FLASHY DUNK ON A RIVAL SCHOOL'S COURT!!!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Similar Threads

  1. The Murder of Tayshana Murphy
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 05:21 PM
  2. Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2258
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  3. Has the High School Class of 05 Doomed the 2009 NBA Draft?
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft - #8 New York
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 11:10 PM
  5. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •