View Poll Results: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

32 50.79%
  • NO

31 49.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

Default Re: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

at the NBA level most PGs are just short SGs anyways. So he is a combo guard, just like Hill.

Nicely put. Couldn't agree more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    For those who don't think he's a PG, what about his game makes you think that?
    One of the worst bad habits Lance has is driibbling much too high. On a few occasions, when attempting to penetrate the lane, I,ve seen an off defender take off on the run at Lance, steal the ball without even breaking stride, and dunk at the other end. How embarrassing!

Really, my whole issue is his handles. He simply is nowhere near what you would expect of an NBA PG deserving of rotational time. With the players we have, Lance would be at the BOTTOM of my depth chart among Both PGs and wings. At this time, he is no better than roster fodder.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he is a PG, just not sure if he'll ever be a good one.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll go with Bird and Vogel on this one, and say he MAY turn into a very good point guard.

He is 0 for 2011/12 from the field so far. Shot .333 for last year, with 0-5 3 ptrs. It's not screaming potential star SG to me at this point.

We are not in a virtual NBA environment. We're in the EC of the NBA in the 20-teens. We're not that interested in finding a shooting guard. The FO really really wants to find the answer to D. Rose. He's going to be our stumbling block on the way to a championship for the foreseeable future. Lance may not be the last pray-for-the-upside PG candidate we see come through the Pacers in the next few years (unless he's the answer, or we gel so well with a Collison line-up that the PG messiah hunt becomes irrelevant).
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

If he could play shooting guard, I'd love to see him play there, but I don't really see any ability to either slash and get to the rim, or really any creativity offensively. I do see the best court vision on the team. He makes great passes while on the court.

For one before watching him play I did hear all about his abilities and was skeptical thinking the coaching staff was trying to create a point guard out of thin air. Once I watched him play it almost seems as if trying to play him at SG would be an entirely worthless endeavor.

I don't know if he'll ever be good, but I'd never ever try to play someone who has court vision, passing ability and 100% willingness to find the open man at anything other than point guard.

So yes, I think it's quite clear he's a point guard. He may never be good, but that's ok seeing as he's only a 2nd round pick.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    If he could play shooting guard, I'd love to see him play there, but I don't really see any ability to either slash and get to the rim, or really any creativity offensively. I do see the best court vision on the team. He makes great passes while on the court.

For one before watching him play I did hear all about his abilities and was skeptical thinking the coaching staff was trying to create a point guard out of thin air. Once I watched him play it almost seems as if trying to play him at SG would be an entirely worthless endeavor.

I don't know if he'll ever be good, but I'd never ever try to play someone who has court vision, passing ability and 100% willingness to find the open man at anything other than point guard.

So yes, I think it's quite clear he's a point guard. He may never be good, but that's ok seeing as he's only a 2nd round pick.
    so your saying Wilt Chamberlain should of played pg?

how bout Larry Bird??

what about Chris Webber or Vlade Divac??

How about Ardryis Sabonis?? or Bill Walton??

There is more to playing point guard than passing ability leadership and the ability to run a team in far more important. That is why you see less talented guys like Derek Fisher stick around for so long.Reke Evans has all the ability to play pg but he lacks the IQ and leadership to. Evans has more talent in his pinky to play pg than Fisher has in his body. But Fisher has the smarts and the feel for the position something almost impossible to teach. Which is why I have always been a huge Rubio fan and would of taken him #2 in that draft even though you had to wait Rubio has the talent and the feel for the game to be a star pg.

I would love for Lance to be able to play pg. But Lance still has trouble making the simple play. Great pg''s could run the play and know where everyone on the team should be and could run their assignment better than them. Steve Nash could probably play blinded folded he knows his offense so well it is like 2nd nature to him.

Lance still has to make every pass he makes difficult or show boating even if it isn't necessary. Ricky Rubio is the only pg I see who does this and does it well but Ricky has a rare gift that few men have.

And defensively Lance wasn't built to play pg he is laterally slow which against a guy like Drose or even just a decent athlete like a Nash is just suicide.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-07-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    so your saying Wilt Chamberlain should of played pg?

how bout Larry Bird??

what about Chris Webber or Vlade Divac??

How about Ardryis Sabonis?? or Bill Walton??

There is more to playing point guard than passing ability leadership and the ability to run a team in far more important. That is why you see less talented guys like Derek Fisher stick around for so long.Reke Evans has all the ability to play pg but he lacks the IQ and leadership to. Evans has more talent in his pinky to play pg than Fisher has in his body. But Fisher has the smarts and the feel for the position something almost impossible to teach. Which is why I have always been a huge Rubio fan and would of taken him #2 in that draft even though you had to wait Rubio has the talent and the feel for the game to be a star pg.
    Yes. All of the above.

It is now 31 to 31 after I voted.

It wasn't an easy vote, but I said PG because I don't think Lance is a good enough shooter nor is he athletic enough to get by the defense at SG. He's also not that long for a SG. Nothing interesting or special about his game at that position.

Whether he is a good PG is TBD...but I don't think he'll ever be the answer for us at SG. He could develop into a serviceable backup at that position...but in terms of potential I still don't think that's his best position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's our best passer, dribbler and not a good shooter. Yes.