View Poll Results: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

32 50.79%
  • NO

31 49.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

Hybrid View

Default Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

The title says it all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Lance Stephenson a PG?

I think he can play some PG, as he has shown. Ultimately, though, I think he is a shooting guard. I keep going back to Tyreke Evans with Lance. They are very, very similar players to me, and Tyreke has more talent, played more point guard before the NBA, and still couldn't make it there full time. It's in Lance's and the team's best interest to play him at the 2, in my opinion.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

I see Lance as a combo guard who is better skill set wise for the 2 spot. I think he is a better scorer than a distributor.

I'm with cdash. For different matchups, like a tall lineup, he can play the point. Lance would be better utilized at SG. He's gonna have to start making shots though at some point.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

I am just trusting the opinion of people who have seen enough of him to judge on this one, we haven't seen enough to make this type of judgement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

LMAO.......I haven't yet been convinced that he can actually play productively at the NBA level let alone a PG position.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

He is a combine guard who can play the point. He has worked well with G.Hill early on.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

He is a bulldog scoring guard who can make flashy passes but so far lacks the maturity to make good decisions. He is also VERY YOUNG. To maximize his current skillset he should remain the position he has always been, which is unquestionably the 2.

If we want to toy with him at the point during blowouts of either variety (for us or against us, which will probably be frequent occurrences this season), great, but for the most part he should be the 4th wing behind George, Granger, and Hill, competing with Dahntay for floor time. In truth, Stephenson should get the nod over Jones for developmental purposes, and probably will.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think lance is fine at PG the problem lies in our offense. He needs to be in an up-tempo offense where he can take advantage of the defenses ability to make quick decisions. I don't think at all that he lacks decision making skills. I think he lacks the option to have a decision when our offense consists of each player going to a spot on the court and standing there. If we moved off of the ball effectively he would be a huge threat because he has the ability to make passes that a large number of NBA talent is not. Thats why a lot of the time you will see him make a big pass and it is dropped because its not expected.
    Last edited by kielbeze; 01-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

No, but the team doesn't have one, so they may as well try him there. Like Josh, he is the teams best passer - but that's more an indictment of the other players than it is praise for him.

Honestly I think he could evolve into an acceptable backup PG, but he would be better as a SG, IMO.

Mood

He is a shooting guard with some ability at pg. he really hasn't shown me much at the pg position. A little out of control when running the point. Once the game slows down for him he will be a great player. Maturity still an issue but again over time he will be fine hopefully.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Not enough information at the NBA level to make that determination...yet.

He sure looks like a point guard. He has a presence when he's bringing the ball up the court.

The thing is, the other players need to learn to play with him. They need to learn that when Lance is running the show they can make sharp cuts to the basket and maybe get an easy hoop. But it's going to take time for them to get that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

For those who don't think he's a PG, what about his game makes you think that?

I've seen some legit gripes. Maturity is one, but it seems he's making strides there don't you think? Decision-making is also better. The one gripe about not being a distributor, I would have to disagree. I think with practice he could become very good at that.

Most of the comments are rather vague. My main concern was his ability to defend the opposing PG...and that remains my biggest concern. However, with PG24 and Hill eating up SG minutes, he will not need to worry about guarding the PG that much.

As for Lance being a SG, he will need to improve his shooting a lot. Also, I don't see anything interesting about his game at that position. But I could see him post up a PG...maybe not like LeBron in the post...but pretty good. At that position, he could become a huge mismatch. He is very clever and strong around the basket.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I've seen some legit gripes. Maturity is one, but it seems he's making strides there don't you think? Decision-making is also better. The one gripe about not being a distributor, I would have to disagree. I think with practice he could become very good at that.

Most of the comments are rather vague. My main concern was his ability to defend the opposing PG...and that remains my biggest concern. However, with PG24 and Hill eating up SG minutes, he will not need to worry about guarding the PG that much.

As for Lance being a SG, he will need to improve his shooting a lot. Also, I don't see anything interesting about his game at that position. But I could see him post up a PG...maybe not like LeBron in the post...but pretty good. At that position, he could become a huge mismatch. He is very clever and strong around the basket.
    I agree 100%. He has better instincts for it than anyone on the team, he is the closest thing we have to a PG.

Defensively he is a liability right now.......his footwork is absolutely atrocious. But I actually believe over time he will learn to use his superior length and strength to be an effective defender against most opposing PG's. But he will always have some struggles on that end.

At SG Lance looks like a limited athlete without good range on his jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    One of the worst bad habits Lance has is driibbling much too high. On a few occasions, when attempting to penetrate the lane, I,ve seen an off defender take off on the run at Lance, steal the ball without even breaking stride, and dunk at the other end. How embarrassing!

Really, my whole issue is his handles. He simply is nowhere near what you would expect of an NBA PG deserving of rotational time. With the players we have, Lance would be at the BOTTOM of my depth chart among Both PGs and wings. At this time, he is no better than roster fodder.

He's a point guard. He's young, and it's not yet certain that he'll be a GOOD point guard. But he's a point guard.

That said, if he's with the right partner (and if he grows into the player Larry thinks he can become) he could be very effective at shooting guard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I agree, he is a PG, a ball dominant one but a PG. Might not know how to run an offense yet but at shorting guard he is a liabilty. He would pick a spot up top and wait there for a pass, possibly lost in the offense

His whole life playing basketball He was the decision maker/ People need to understand that he has always been the best player on the team, up until the NBA and most of the time probably the best player on the court
    Sittin on top of the world!

When Lance was playing shooting guard in his short stint against Miami, it was the best he has looked. Also, he did not play SG the same way Paul does, he did not hang out by the 3 point line. We got him the ball once everyone else was in position. It's very similar to how a lot of teams who have slashing shooting guards function.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Lance is a SG, but at the NBA level most PGs are just short SGs anyways. So he is a combo guard, just like Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

at the NBA level most PGs are just short SGs anyways. So he is a combo guard, just like Hill.

Nicely put. Couldn't agree more.

He is a 2 with great handles. Much better at creating his own shot than running an offense. He didn't even play point guard in college.

I hope everyone agrees that he's most effective with the ball in his hands. He's shown little to nothing this season but there's no doubt he's a playmaker.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I hope everyone agrees that he's most effective with the ball in his hands. He's shown little to nothing this season but there's no doubt he's a playmaker.
    No question about that. He is a player who creates his own shot, looks to score, and if he can't score he looks to make a pass, preferrably a highlight reel pass. In other words, he is a shooting guard who prefers to make flashy passes.

he looks like a guy that can be a PG with some work. he seems to see the court, has nice handles, willing and able passer. those seem to be PG skills. with his size, being a PG would be the best position.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post: