Thread: Quick game review...

Default Quick game review...

I've been a Pacers fan all of my life. I've seen big wins & I've seen big losses. I've seen some of our teams overachieve & I've seen others underachieve. I've been on my feet cheering Reggie's three's & I've yelled for a Dale dunk.

But I'll be d@mned if I can think of a much better more inspiring game than last night.

Usually I would give a good, bad & ugly on a game review.

But last night get's none of that.

It was all good. Sure some things could have gone better & I wish Croshere would have grabbed some more boards or that Jackson might have shot a little better.

But this was a rag tag team that was thrown together out there & the system won.

Even though Big Z tore it up I thought Pollard fought like a warrior.

Even though Croshere didn't rebound worth a d@mn I thought he was as clutch as any player we've seen on the floor. Two big three's & a huge steal at the end of the game.

Ron Artest played a great great great game. I won't lie & tell you I wasn't worried that he would throw up 35 shots or some such crap. But IMO, he only forced maybe one shot all night long. His defense on King James was stifiling as usual. Fans of Artest can be very proud of him last night.

Jamaal Tinsley was out of his mind good. I've seen him play a better game when he was a rookie but I don't think I've ever seen him play a more complete game.

Jon Bender was a force in a very short time.

Fred Jones was solid & IMO, showed he deseres a spot in the rotation.

Even Gill was like a deadeye sniper from the floor.

I guess if you have to find one cloud in the sky it was probably that Harrison definately was out of shape & will not be a real contributer any time soon. But even that can be forgiven because his training camp & pre-season was cut short.

That was a great game. 11/3/04 will go down as one hell of a great day for me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Quick game review...

Peck,
    One thing your review failed to say specifically was that the team showed heart last night. A little talent and a lot of heart goes a long way. I didn't see anyone looking like they were just going thru the motions or playing for their stat sheet. They were simply playing, as a team, to win.

I'll take that every game regardless of who is on the floor or the final score. (The fact is with those things the final scores will take care of itself more times than not).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

The best way I think I could put it......

The team was a force.... Like a zombie you shoot and it just keeps comimg after you no matter how many rounds you unload into it.

Big Z was unloading on them all night... then they took a huge shot gun type blast from James at the end of regulation... The just stood up like zombies and came at the cavs again and again...

In the end it was the Cavs team that faded not the brokedown, half-missing P's.

More than anything the Pacers played a very spirited game, they played together, they played hard.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Very impressive win. The one thing I kept thinking over and over was how glad I was that Ron Artest is still in a Pacer uniform.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I stated pretty much the same thing in another thread without Peck's astutue observations. Very impressive game - very impressive win.
    [edit=18=1099574516][/edit]
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

One thing I liked about Jackson was his ability to
    affect the game even though his shooting was off
    last night. He had 10 rebounds and he is an excellent passer with excellent floor vision. He will
    help keep the offense moving and other players involved with that ability. Not to pick on Harrington
    but that would not have happened if he was having an off shooting night.

I was doubtful about Jackson a little because I did
    not realized the complete game he has.
    I am becoming convinced that was a good trade.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'll do a quick good, bad & ugly...

Sorry I haven't had time to read everything yet, so I may repeat some stuff from above or in other threads. I think I'll be back in later this morning.

Good:

Tinsley in the OTs - maybe he's going to be able to play > 28mpg this season without really fading down the stretch.

The Ron v. LeBron matchup - man, that's going to be a great matchup to watch from years to come. I don't fault Ron for playing less effectively down the stretch (than he did during the first three quarters) - carrying the offensive load and defending LBJ

Down the stretch and overtime - both teams made great plays - Tinsley, Croshere and Artest hit numerous big shots for the Pacers; Z, LeBron and McInnis came through for the Cavs. Its great to watch a hotly contested game in which offensive players make plays.

Bender's aggressive offense - especially during his first rotation - really gave us a boost when it looked like Cleveland's bench was going to give them momentum.

Bad:

We took entirely too many three-pointers, that's got to stop. We aren't a very good 3pt shooting team, I don't want Bender, Croshere, or Jackson shooting them, even if they are hitting.

Harrison's first game, after missing virtually all of training camp. I didn't expect anything else but let's call it what it was - getting your shot blocked twice by Traylor is B-A-D bad.

Mark Price as a color commentator. Not polished at all. As smart of a player as he was, I thought he'd have more to offer.

Ugly:

The Pollard/Z matchup. At least Pollard stayed out of foul trouble and got some hustle tip-ins.

Fred Jones ballhandling and decision-making with the ball. If he keeps that up, I'll be fine with AJ/Gill as the backup PGs.

That was an inspiring win. I didn't start watching until 9pm, so that's two late nights in a row. I'm exhausted, and I've got a lot of work to do.
    [edit=72=1099584060][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last night was a great win. We played well TOGETHER most of all. I didnt see anyone trying to do too much. Tinsley played one of the best games ive ever seen him play. Pollard looked like he was back in Sactown. He had energy. Bender boy o boy Bender if he can stay healthy he will be a force. Im still optimistic about him, but i think he still has alot to prove. David Harrison is one big boy, but will need lots more time to show what he can do. Fred Jones, well honestly i dont know what people see in him. He will be a good role player. Overall a well played game and a great team effort.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Dammit.

Missed the whole thing.

I was supposed to go to the Nora Jones concert, but wasn't feeling well and the wife had to work so I gave our tickets away. I figured not so bad, I can watch the Pacers.

Then my wife called and said she was having problems writing some Access queries. So I go and help her out... only to get home about 11:15.

BUT..... Thanks for the summaries, guys. Sounds like a great start to the season.

One thing that really was amazing as someone has already pointed otu was the way the Ca, mainly James kept hitting shot after shot in the final seconds.

The Pacers did too, but the Cavs really wouldn't die, yes like zombies.

Just an old fashion shootout. Now watch Boston give us fits.

Jay, you don't want Bender, Croshere, or Jackson shooting 3's? Wow. Just... wow.

I don't want anybody shooting threes, but I tolerate it from Reggie.

I want Bender, Croshere and Jackson stepping into 17-18 feet and shooting a higher percentage shot.

This obsession with the 3pt line is killing FG% and offensive efficiency at all levels of basketball.

It seemed that I saw JB camping out on the 3 point line more than not. If JB were to move more without the ball inside he could have almost any shot he wanted with his athletic abilty and his wing span.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I want Bender, Croshere and Jackson stepping into 17-18 feet and shooting a higher percentage shot.

This obsession with the 3pt line is killing FG% and offensive efficiency at all levels of basketball.
    you would rather have not had austin make thos couple of 3's ? which helped us get back the edge in the game. I guess I kinda feel it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't kinda thing.

I dunno sometimes I think when we have a lead in get into shooting alot of 3's that upsets me more , but sometimes it's those timely 3's that can spark us on a roll , especially tinsely's last 3.

That's why coaches cringe, watch the shot go in, and then tell the player, "Nice shot, don't ever do it again."

Clearly you've got to be able to hit them in late game situations. I'm more referring to watching the offense stall when a team shoots several three pointers in a row during the middle to late portion of a game.

Mood

That's why coaches cringe, watch the shot go in, and then tell the player, "Nice shot, don't ever do it again."

Clearly you've got to be able to hit them in late game situations. I'm more referring to watching the offense stall when a team shoots several three pointers in a row during the middle to late portion of a game.
    yeah , I agree with that Jay

"A little talent and a lot of heart goes a long way."

RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

Mood

I dunno maybe it was just me but all the players showed alot of heart last night , from the guys on the bench who can't play to the guys on the court , it was great to see Reggie and Jermanie really getting off the Bench and throwing these just slaps and high five's etc.

Hell it made me jump outta my seat a couple times and bump some chest

I think we will be alright if we can keep that kinda gameplay up , I know it's early but I really have high hopes that we can make it through Nov with a very respectable record , plus giving these bench guys some playing time will only help us in the playoffs I believe.

First 2OT win in 8 years; no wonder I was convinced we'd lose in the end.
    ---
    Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

One of the things I noticed and was very impressed with Ron was the fact he picked up his 5th foul right near the end of regulation and still was able to go 2 full OT's guarding Lebron without fouling out.

good stuff
    [edit=147=1099633269][/edit]

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I don't want this team at ANY point to DEPEND on the 3 point shot, w/Reggie or not. But I think you do need to have some guys shooting and hitting a few of them to keep the defense spread out. I don't mind Bender, Croshere or Jackson shooting them, especially Croshere. Since he plays either the 4 or the 5 most o f the time he really stretches the defense when he hits a couple of treys. I do have a problem w/Artest jacking them up though, mostly because he does so at very inopportune times.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin