Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granger needs to be benched

Banned

Default Re: Granger needs to be benched

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the Heat played like crap and nearly lost a game to the Bobcats, one of the worst teams in the league.

Every NBA team is good, every team has all-star level talent at at least one position. The Pacers will lose to teams with bad records, and they'll beat some teams with good records. What matters is the record at the end, and it'll probably have more wins than losses.
    I don't think the Bobcats are as bad as their record shows, have you seen who they played this year? Bucks, Miami, Orlando, Miami,Cleveland and New York, how many wins you think we get with that schedule? 2? maybe 3?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The next morning after this game and this thread makes me sad, not because I necessarily disagree with its premise, but because for the first time as a Pacer, I'm really having to question what is up with Danny...and that just sucks. I was sitting courtside the night he busted his teeth against the Celtics and someone yelled "Hey Danny, give us a smile!" as he was coming back in and he turned to everyone and gave a goofy grin. I loved watching this guy play for so long because he honestly always seemed to be having fun. Now...it just doesn't look like his heart is there and that makes me sad.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

Making the All-Star team was the worst thing that's ever happened to him. He's completely checked out defensively since then,

I agree. I've said it the last 2-3 years that I don't ever see Granger ever being an Allstar again. He's a 1 and done, like Mo Williams and Nelson. They have talent and can play, but not Allstar caliber.

I'm not sure Granger ever got over not getting playing time from Coach K.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 01-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's still an important player on this team and leader, but he needs to realize he has a much better supporting cast now than he did in 2009-2010. This team has too much offensive talent for it to go to waste with selfish play.

He's a great scorer and shooter who is still one of the most important players on the roster, but it's not a one man show for him anymore. He's not an iso guy, he can't create for himself, and often has a difficult time shooting off the dribble.

I definitely wouldn't bench him because he's still the leader and we need his play out there.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I think he did get over it. And that's the problem.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Some of you guys need to relax a little. Saying he's checked out since he made the all star team or acts like he doesn't care.

It hard to imagine some of you guys forgetting about the playoffs last year, you do realize it was like 6 games ago. Pretty sure granger carried the team through stretches in all those games and shot 47% for the series.

I will grant you, this should become the norm rather than the exception. I think Danny has given us enough good years to roll with him through some tough stretches. If he looks like this in a month then its a whole other thing.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think he did get over it. And that's the problem.
    He certainly hasn't shown that he has taken the issue for his bench-riding to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    He certainly hasn't shown that he has taken the issue for his bench-riding to heart.
    If he had not "gotten over it", he would be working is @ss off on defense.

Instead, he got over it.

I think we're saying the same thing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This guy looks lost out there. His shots are flat. I'm not even sure he's shooting above 30%fg. He gets the ball and literally dribbles in circles. When he passes to outside shooters, they are bad passes that take the shooter out of rhythm. He's a turnover machine and way to inconsistent on defense.

I've never seen a guys game fall off the map like this.
    man i couldnt agree more.. i dont think he is a great shooter anyways.. I really dont like his game at all..

Imagine how much more disapointed all you Granger haters would be if you placed the same expectation on West as you do Granger. They're both X-All stars and are paid similarly. Granger is still trying to carry this team and doing a lot more then West is with his intangables yet West can seem to do no wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, I like having West on this team but the double standard kills me. They'll both improve as the season progresses. Danny's shot will start to fall and he'll still average at least 18 ppg for us this season. If West can bring his game up from 11 and 7, to say 15 and 8 we'll be a much better team. In the mean time cut Granger a little slack, no one else is trying to step up to lead this team in scoring.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bench Granger?

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Hey Danny Granger:

Instead of tweeting about the wrong-doing of the Comish maybe you should have thrown up a few shots this summer. Maybe?
    Danny is typically known for being a lazy dude.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I agree. I've said it the last 2-3 years that I don't ever see Granger ever being an Allstar again. He's a 1 and done, like Mo Williams and Nelson. They have talent and can play, but not Allstar caliber.

He didnt defend plain and simple he should of saw guys like Gay, Iggy and Gordon defending their *** off and saying "I need to do that". Most anybody can shoot and play offense on those teams the guys who wanted it most Kevin Love, Iggy, Billups, Eric Gordon did all the stuff necessary to make that team run like a machine. They really wanted to win and their role players were fantastic. Granger looked really bad playing for that team it was kind of hard to watch. **** even Steph Curry defended more than he did in all the games I watched. I just dont think Granger wanted to play he sure didnt play like he wanted too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Imagine how much more disapointed all you Granger haters would be if you placed the same expectation on West as you do Granger. They're both X-All stars and are paid similarly. Granger is still trying to carry this team and doing a lot more then West is with his intangables yet West can seem to do no wrong.
    Don't get me wrong, I like having West on this team but the double standard kills me. They'll both improve as the season progresses. Danny's shot will start to fall and he'll still average at least 18 ppg for us this season. If West can bring his game up from 11 and 7, to say 15 and 8 we'll be a much better team. In the mean time cut Granger a little slack, no one else is trying to step up to lead this team in scoring.
    I think it's primarily because no one questions West's effort on both ends of the floor, nor in general his decision-making.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Danny is typically known for being a lazy dude.....
    If history has taught us anything, it is that lazy people are generally capable of being accepted into Ivy League schools to pursue an engineering degree while also being capable of receiving a basketball scholarship at the Division 1 level.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If history has taught us anything, it is that lazy people are generally capable of being accepted into Ivy League schools to pursue an engineering degree while also being capable of receiving a basketball scholarship at the Division 1 level.
    Damn, I must've gotten into the wrong line.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=65567
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I know, stop ruining my joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Granger is still trying to carry this team and doing a lot more then West is with his intangables yet West can seem to do no wrong.
    Eh, what? How is Granger doing anything more than West? By shooting more? Well that only helps if you're making them.

West isn't averaging 15-8 that you're asking for because his minutes have been limited. He's averaging 16-9 per 36 mintutes. He's only averaging 27 minutes per game though. Per 36 Danny is averaging nearly the same, except shooting more and making less to get there. West has 71 points on 65 shots. Granger has 91 points on 101 shots.

I'm not entirely sure how Granger is helping as much as West. Besides that, you'll generally get more leeway when you're coming off major knee surgery and you're outplaying the 'Former All Star' guy in the lineup with you who played basketball for the 6 or 7 months you couldn't.

My post wasn't about slamming David West, I'm only saying that there is a double standard on the expectations placed on Granger versus any other Pacer. Last nights game is an example of what Granger brings. His shot still isn't falling but I'm still confident that it will. His D is much improved over last year, not perfectly consistent but far improved.
    In comparing to West, well a PF should have a higher FG% anyway, but neither West nor any other Pacer seems to want to step up to lead this team in scoring. West may still be recovering and should be given some leeway for that but we can't afford very many 2 point games from our starting pf and expect a win. I fully expect for West to give us a lot more by the end of the season, but right now he's not earning his contract.
    If Paul George, Hibbert, or West want to step up and start giving us 20 every night then I think Danny should shoot less and step back a little on the offensive end. Right now we need him to be aggressive. It blows my mind how many threads we have going slamming Granger, no other player is put through this kind of scrutiny. He's not a franchise player but he is our best choice to lead this team, no one else seems to want to.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Eh, what? How is Granger doing anything more than West? By shooting more? Well that only helps if you're making them.

West isn't averaging 15-8 that you're asking for because his minutes have been limited. He's averaging 16-9 per 36 mintutes. He's only averaging 27 minutes per game though. Per 36 Danny is averaging nearly the same, except shooting more and making less to get there. West has 71 points on 65 shots. Granger has 91 points on 101 shots.

I'm not entirely sure how Granger is helping as much as West. Besides that, you'll generally get more leeway when you're coming off major knee surgery and you're outplaying the 'Former All Star' guy in the lineup with you who played basketball for the 6 or 7 months you couldn't.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    If he had not "gotten over it", he would be working is @ss off on defense.

Instead, he got over it.

I think we're saying the same thing.
    That might be true, but I cannot tell whether it's his will to do it...or his ability.

I have a feeling he knows he's not capable of being an elite defender. But he seems to think he has it all together on offense. He's right on the first point and wrong on the second.

He's like Shawn Marion, but Shawn knows his limits. Shawn has some great abilities but unlike really good players he has gaps in his game. Danny's is dribbling the ball, seeing the floor and having "game".

Having "game" is something that you see in Lance or Paul George, but you don't see in Danny. It's a natural gift. Even AJ Price has it. Gym rats have it. Danny does not...and it's not just his lack of dribble. Granger, on the other hand, has physical abilities that helps him overcome that. If he didn't lack "game" he'd be Carmello Anthony with a better jumper.

In any event, Granger shouldn't be benched. He should be coached properly, something he has rarely received in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    That might be true, but I cannot tell whether it's his will to do it...or his ability.

I have a feeling he knows he's not capable of being an elite defender. But he seems to think he has it all together on offense. He's right on the first point and wrong on the second.

He's like Shawn Marion, but Shawn knows his limits. Shawn has some great abilities but unlike really good players he has gaps in his game. Danny's is dribbling the ball, seeing the floor and having "game".

Having "game" is something that you see in Lance or Paul George, but you don't see in Danny. It's a natural gift. Even AJ Price has it. Gym rats have it. Danny does not...and it's not just his lack of dribble. Granger, on the other hand, has physical abilities that helps him overcome that. If he didn't lack "game" he'd be Carmello Anthony with a better jumper.

In any event, Granger shouldn't be benched. He should be coached properly, something he has rarely received in the NBA.
    Hmmm.

That's not my take on Danny.

I feel like he has the natural talent to be an elite defender, just not the will. I also think he has "game" offensively, in terms of focus and delivering in the clutch. But his lack of handles—a talent problem—keeps him from being elite.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Peoples minds are so fixed on that fadeaway jumper that we call bad shot selection that they neglect to see that the majority of his shots are good shot selection. He's just not hitting them.

I'm so glad I'm laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Peoples minds are so fixed on that fadeaway jumper that we call bad shot selection that they neglect to see that the majority of his shots are good shot selection. He's just not hitting them.

I'm so glad I'm laid back.
    Disagree. Until the Boston game, Granger's shot selection was pretty horrible. As I stated in a different thread, Granger needs to realize it's okay to be a jumpshooter on this team and give more focus on the defensive. Granger still have the mentality that he has to "carry" the team when the team doesn't need carrying anymore. Granger, IMHO, as shown that he tends to hit those "timely" clutch shots and daggers, so I still like him as THE player to take the pressure shots. However, if Granger had better shot selection in the beginning of games, then we would be relying on his shots as icing on the cake instead shots to keep/get the lead.