Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Granger needs to be benched

Default Re: Granger needs to be benched

Wow are you guys serious? Bench our best player after he has had a tough opening 5 games? And 2 of them he took the whole team on his shoulders and won the game in the 4th v Toronto and OT v Cavs?

I know there are alot of Danny haters out there, But bench him? C'mon Man!

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to granger33 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

He's shooting bad and compounding the situation by making bad decisions. I just think he should come off the bench for the Boston game. Maybe it will light a fire.

You could bench him... or you could trade him...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Dannys an enigma this year.

In some games he's clutch. And I mean really clutch. And with D. West, we have a powerful duo down the stretch. It gets my hopes up.

But Danny made his name for improving. + 5 pts a game per season the several years of his career. Showed work ethic and will to improve. But now it looks like he's not putting in the effort. His body language says it all. He looks dejected and out of it.

Mark Boyle tweet this evening (reply to a fan):
    Yes. “@LaoGuy31: @Mark_J_Boyle: is Danny's body language just as bad in person?”

It seems pretty clear to me from watching the games that his head is not in the right place. Maybe it was the lockout. Maybe too much losing in previous seasons with it all on his shoulders. He needs the pressure taken off of him so he can have fun again. Because man, it doesn't look likes he enjoys it.

He jacked up a shot in the fourth quarter tonight, and I'm not sure who it was, but you could hear one of the other Pacer players yell out his name in frustration. We're not the only people noticing his poor shot selection.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:

He had a bad game against the heat. But he was being guarded by battier for a decent part of it. We are running different offensive sets on little practice time. He has never been great at creating offense. Give him time im sure he will find his niche.

Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dannys an enigma this year.

In some games he's clutch. And I mean really clutch. And with D. West, we have a powerful duo down the stretch. It gets my hopes up.

But Danny made his name for improving. + 5 pts a game per season the several years of his career. Showed work ethic and will to improve. But now it looks like he's not putting in the effort. His body language says it all. He looks dejected and out of it.

Mark Boyle tweet this evening (reply to a fan):
    Yes. “@LaoGuy31: @Mark_J_Boyle: is Danny's body language just as bad in person?”

It seems pretty clear to me from watching the games that his head is not in the right place. Maybe it was the lockout. Maybe too much losing in previous seasons with it all on his shoulders. He needs the pressure taken off of him so he can have fun again. Because man, it doesn't look likes he enjoys it.

He jacked up a shot in the fourth quarter tonight, and I'm not sure who it was, but you could hear one of the other Pacer players yell out his name in frustration. We're not the only people noticing his poor shot selection.
    Well, I'm glad that others are beginning to notice the same thing I have been seeing for quite some time now.... here's a post I made after the preseason Bulls games -

Default Re: Gamethread 12/20/2012 vs Bulls

Granger is like a ghost out there.... has been for a while now. Does he really want to be here or what... sometimes I wonder.
    and I got some reply that said something like "Have you ever seen Danny in preseason? , he never plays well in preseason"... hmmm, I've been seeing similar things to that a lot on here lately. Personally I think it's B.S.!

I'll go out on a limb and say that Grangers finished, at least in Indy he is. He'll probably have more good games, I mean, he's NOT a bad player.... I really just don't think he cares to be in Indy anymore. Looks like a player that needs a change of scenery to me. Don't get me wrong now,,, I like Danny. Anybody that can get his teeth shattered on the floor and still finish the game is OK in my book. I just think he would benefit from a more veteran team that is ready to contend NOW and the Pacers would benefit from a younger guy that has a fire to be on a developing contender.

Just sayin....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireTheCoach For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    When guys are consistently short on their shots, usually their legs are tired or have given out of them a little.
    I wonder how much this is due to the ton of practice and games they done in a short time with no time off. As a team they all are leaving shots short as a whole. Hopefully they can get recharged some on the 3 day break heading out West since its only one of the three they get this year.

Drive to pass, just one time, Danny. Its math 3 guys on you, two of your teammates are open. Also, be mentally in the game, box out someone. Whats frustrating for me, this is fundamental basketball stuff your best player routinely doesn't do and continues not to do.

How does that impact a team, you shoot a low % from the field, check. Guys can't follow your best player, because he's not playing the 'right way'.

I hope to gawd, the coaching staff just breaks down every play for Danny and shows him, here's where you missed two wide open guys, just make a basketball play. Here's where you gave up a weak side rebound, by not boxing out. These plays just take the life out of a team.

Don't get me started on Roy, where have his hands gone. I thought he got stronger not weaker. And again, simple basketball plays, it seems like he has completely lost what the defensive scheme is. Where's his passion.

Look I hate writing this after that mess last night, but I said they had problems when they were 3-1, 4-1.

Its frustrating.

Last thing, ya DC is overall improved defensively, maybe, so far.... but he's not good enough that he can close out a game, they put in George Hill.

I'll call this now, they'll bounce back and beat Boston on the road.

This team is more frustrating than the recent teams, because they are much more talented, but they aren't playing to that level. I'm hoping its "yet".

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    prior to the miami game his shot selection was very good (at least similar to the playoffs), he just wasn't making his shots.
    Are you in an alternate universe?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Guys remember that basketball is a war of attrition. Instead of freaking out every loss let's realize that it isn't the end of the world.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Something happened with Granger some time back and he's just never been the same since.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Something happened with Granger some time back and he's just never been the same since.
    Making the All-Star team was the worst thing that's ever happened to him. He's completely checked out defensively since then, and he hasn't had a coach that has demanded he focus defensively either.

It's a shame, because he has so much natural ability on that end of the floor.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

To be fair, people are always clamoring about how Granger stands at the three point line and just shoots three pointers, and this year he is trying to force things a little bit off the dribble, and now people are saying that Granger should just stand at the three point line and shoot three pointers. It's almost like he can't win.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

He's not the same player that Artest was raving about.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Making the All-Star team was the worst thing that's ever happened to him. He's completely checked out defensively since then, and he hasn't had a coach that has demanded he focus defensively either.

It's a shame, because he has so much natural ability on that end of the floor.
    This is completely correct, but you're not allowed to say bad things about Danny Granger here, because he's totally awesome yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    He's not the same player that Artest was raving about.
    He probably played defense back then.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Danny Granger:

Instead of tweeting about the wrong-doing of the Comish maybe you should have thrown up a few shots this summer. Maybe?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Danny Granger:

Jim O'Brien isn't our coach anymore. You don't have to chuck the ball.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

You know what I noticed last night? LeBron had more plays run for him than Granger did. And not plays like "Here's the ball LeBron, make something happen." Dude was running Danny off screens, switches, all kinds of stuff.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm confident that Danny will bounce back and I'm not jumping off of his bandwagon after just 6 games (two of which he played well and led us to victories).

He was way out of sorts last night but so was David West. Tyler was a mess too. No one could hit wide open shots even in the paint. Everyone played like crap on the offensive end except Roy and even though he was terrible on the defensive end last night he at least hauled in a lot of defensive rebounds.

A lot of players looked like they needed to be benched last night but it only counts as 1 loss. They lost to the EC Champions last night, a team that has the best player in the NBA, on the road. Try not to overreact people.

Good god, we lose one game to the best team in the NBA and people are acting like the sky is falling. We're not supposed to win these games, we're not as good as Miami.

If you're truly crushed by this loss, let me break down how the rest of the season will go from here: The Pacers will beat some bad teams and lose to some good teams, finish the season around the middle of the Eastern conference and maybe make the second round depending on the match up, then get knocked out of the playoffs. If you're expecting anything more than that, don't bother watching.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Good god, we lose one game to the best team in the NBA and people are acting like the sky is falling. We're not supposed to win these games, we're not as good as Miami.

If you're truly crushed by this loss, let me break down how the rest of the season will go from here: The Pacers will beat some bad teams and lose to some good teams, finish the season around the middle of the Eastern conference and maybe make the second round depending on the match up, then get knocked out of the playoffs. If you're expecting anything more than that, don't bother watching.
    I'm pretty sure we lost a game against one of the worst teams in the NBA, yeah the sky is not falling but we have been playing like crap and just got lucky that the other teams were better at sucking.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm pretty sure we lost a game against one of the worst teams in the NBA, yeah the sky is not falling but we have been playing like crap and just got lucky that the other teams were better at sucking.
    4-1 versus sucky teams still is pretty good. We have had difficulties in the past winning games we are supposed to win.

Sure, we got issues. But it's way too early to say the sky is falling. I think you're saying 8th seed, which isn't so apocalyptic, I suppose. I still think we will be a bit better. It depends on how we recover. It depends in large part on how teachable Granger is.

So, this thread is relevant. Except that benching him is completely out of the question for several reasons. But holding him to the fire is not.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    4-1 versus sucky teams still is pretty good. We have had difficulties in the past winning games we are supposed to win.

Sure, we got issues. But it's way too early to say the sky is falling. I think you're saying 8th seed, which isn't so apocalyptic, I suppose. I still think we will be a bit better. It depends on how we recover. It depends in large part on how teachable Granger is.

So, this thread is relevant. Except that benching him is completely out of the question for several reasons. But holding him to the fire is not.
    Yeah not doubt that 4-1 against bad teams is good but that's not my point, I'm actually saying that the sky in a way is not falling because there haven't been an sky to begging with, we have been bad all year and got lucky that the other teams are worse, there is a reason why people were posting how amazing it was that the Pacers won some games even thought they shot under 40%, in reality we are not as good as our record says, I expected at 8th seed but the way they are playing they will be lucky if they make it top 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And the Heat played like crap and nearly lost a game to the Bobcats, one of the worst teams in the league.

Every NBA team is good, every team has all-star level talent at at least one position. The Pacers will lose to teams with bad records, and they'll beat some teams with good records. What matters is the record at the end, and it'll probably have more wins than losses.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post: