Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would YOU fix the offense?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How would YOU fix the offense?

First things first...

"Paul, you need to shoot the rock - okay?"
    "Roy, do what you have been doing!"
    "Danny, don't shoot the ball ever again - we'll call you when there is a technical foul shot."

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone needs to tell Collison that when he comes of a pick he needs to rub shoulders with the pick setter's defender and angle towards the basket so that he has a good passing angle.

Every ****ing time he comes off a pick he goes back towards half court, letting the defender easily stop him, giving himself no angle to pass, and allowing the pick setter's defender to recover. It's extremely frustrating. Not to mention they run one pick and then look surprised that it didn't work and seem lost after that.

SO to summarize: better pacing, better angles, better spacing, more movement, more screens, more cuts, better passing.......and also can someone remind Roy that he is over 7 ****ing feet tall and he is allowed to dunk it.
    DC had a problem last year.

But he's really really not our problem this season. Or hasn't been.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get a pass first pg.

Hold Paul George and Hibberts grandma hostage. I tell them if they dont play with a little more attitude, heart and toughness, we off her.

^^^^^ What are we so scared of?

Actually run offensive sets. I rarely see an offensive set run for anyone.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

First I'd give Lance Stephenson all of Dahntay Jones SG minutes. Lance has amazing handles, size, and the ability to finish at the rim. So far, he has missed most of his shots this year...but a lot of those shots were great shots, he just needs more minutes.

He had one very impressive drive last night, into the teeth of the Miami defense, which he did miss the shot...but the way he got there was very impressive to me. If he is given a longer leash/more minutes, he will start to make these shots.

I REALLY desperately want to see Collison, Lance, Paul George, West, Hibbert see some extended minutes together. I think that line-up has great potential offensively, when we can't score the ball.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Only pass the ball to Granger when he comes off a screen .. He should never ever have to dribble anymore than 2 times.

Teach DC how to use a screen.. I am noticing Hansbrough is nearly having to chase the defender around to set a screen because DC usually moves early or runs backwards killing any chance the play has.

PG should have more and more and more plays run for him.. Off screens until he can dribble.

Get Hibbert the ball earlier in possessions. I am tired of seeing him seal off him man 3 feet from the basket but not get the ball until he has been pushed out to 10 feet.

I would like to see Hansbrough and West get the ball more in post situations and not 80% on pick situations.

Just a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    Only pass the ball to Granger when he comes off a screen .. He should never ever have to dribble anymore than 2 times.

Teach DC how to use a screen.. I am noticing Hansbrough is nearly having to chase the defender around to set a screen because DC usually moves early or runs backwards killing any chance the play has.

PG should have more and more and more plays run for him.. Off screens until he can dribble.

Get Hibbert the ball earlier in possessions. I am tired of seeing him seal off him man 3 feet from the basket but not get the ball until he has been pushed out to 10 feet.

I would like to see Hansbrough and West get the ball more in post situations and not 80% on pick situations.

Just a few things.
    No, It's Tyler that has problems with screens, and DC is trying to adjust to it.

Tyler gets close to the PG and then leaves early, leaving the point guard double teamed. That makes life kind of hard for a tiny point guard.

Tyler is too focused on the roll and not enough on the pick.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    No, It's Tyler that has problems with screens, and DC is trying to adjust to it.

Tyler gets close to the PG and then leaves early, leaving the point guard double teamed. That makes life kind of hard for a tiny point guard.
    Much as I'd like to agree with this, I've also seen almost the opposite too many times, where the screen takes too long to set up (or the ballhandler gets impatient) so the ball handler leaves early and draws the screener's defender (which would be OK if he wasn't drawn so as to block the passing lane to the screener).

Bottom line is we only have one or maybe two screeners who do it right and maybe one ball handler who can consistently use a screen. Let's just say they all need to practice until there are two grooves in the floor and leave it at that.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Much as I'd like to agree with this, I've also seen almost the opposite too many times, where the screen takes too long to set up (or the ballhandler gets impatient) so the ball handler leaves early and draws the screener's defender (which would be OK if he wasn't drawn so as to block the passing lane to the screener).

Bottom line is we only have one or maybe two screeners who do it right and maybe one ball handler who can consistently use a screen. Let's just say they all need to practice until there are two grooves in the floor and leave it at that.
    I'll be honest, I watched Tyler do that to AJ so much (every time), I figured it was his fault with DC too.

But I think too, that Tyler is so bad at it, that DC doesn't exactly know how to approach it. Because PnR is something that DC has previously been good at, and then suddenly isn't capable of? Kind of strange.

It sounds like, and this is typical with younger guys, it's a patience thing, for all around.

I would have Paul and Roy mimic Reggie and Rik. Lots of inside out passes. Paul has the length to pass over and ability to shoot to draw out his defender. Roy needs to pass out of the post frequently and get very used to doing it.

Set Granger on the opposite side of the court to spread out the D and shoot threes. He should NEVER dribble the ball.

Have Collison dart around picks set by Granger and Hans. Roy should always be looking for Darren for a lay-in or midrange shot.

West or Hans should be setting picks and ready to pop or head to the rack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Simply put..... make more shots..... if the shots were falling there would be no complaints, this thread would not be here. We would be happy. Plus it's still early, they are rusty.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Banned

I could buy this excuse if DC didn't do it with West also, DC just sucks in pick and roll.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

No Danny iso.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Tyler is too focused on the roll and not enough on the pick.
    Looks like he doesnt want to get called for a moving screen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    Looks like he doesnt want to get called for a moving screen to me.
    Tyler's an impatient player. I think that's all it is. It's not a "he's trying to make sure he's the guy who gets the shot" type of thing. It's not a "doesn't intellectually know how to set a screen" thing. He's just impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I could buy this excuse if DC didn't do it with West also, DC just sucks in pick and roll.
    I thought DC was all world at New Orleans with West. Maybe they need to watch Hornet games.

Honestly, PG24 and Hibbert should watch Reggie and Rik. Collison is actually quite effective in the open floor and when he darts around freely without the ball. He's good at catching and converting. I seriously wouldn't try to make him run the offense because quite frankly he cannot do it. Maybe the answer is to bring in Lance as the PG and have Darren or Hill be the SG. They switch when they go on D. Lance is the only guy on this team who can deliver the ball...and this is coming direct to you from a Lance hater...at least last year. This year he's kept his nose clean and tried to improve...and changed my opinion....

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Tyler's an impatient player. I think that's all it is. It's not a "he's trying to make sure he's the guy who gets the shot" type of thing. It's not a "doesn't intellectually know how to set a screen" thing. He's just impatient.
    I've seen Tyler or West set nice screens and DC takes for freaking ever to make the pass.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Someone needs to tell Collison that when he comes of a pick he needs to rub shoulders with the pick setter's defender and angle towards the basket so that he has a good passing angle.

Every ****ing time he comes off a pick he goes back towards half court, letting the defender easily stop him, giving himself no angle to pass, and allowing the pick setter's defender to recover. It's extremely frustrating. Not to mention they run one pick and then look surprised that it didn't work and seem lost after that.

SO to summarize: better pacing, better angles, better spacing, more movement, more screens, more cuts, better passing.......and also can someone remind Roy that he is over 7 ****ing feet tall and he is allowed to dunk it.
    Was going to post exactly this and echo the sentiment with regard to expecting more from collison and west in pnr situations.

Have been impressed with an improved DC this year so far but underwhelmed with his seeming inability to honor the pick & pop screener. From my memory he seemed to attack the basket more aggressively at NO following the pick allowing the one-handed bounce pass return to the screener. Have yet to see this once this year. A small thing but an offense built around the pnr loses plenty of potency without this fundamental element. Also limits West's offensive output by not allowing him to get the ball where he can really hurt the opposition.

As to the broader question of fixing the offense. Am not unhappy with the pnr basis but would like to see granger in motion with the aid of multiple screens (does he have the tank? Work rate?) and certainly some of these sets starting with the ball in the high post (quality shooting bigs need to be defended and as such opportunities open up elswehere for DG).

As it stands we have quality offensive players in roles that are not maximizing them; collison in the aforementioned pick and roll, west receiving the ball almost exclusively on the low block with his back to basket, and Granger expected to create when the previous 20 seconds have failed to do so.

Also, for an offense underpinned by the pnr, I dislike how often the shotclock winds down and Granger's below par isolation skills are exposed in a one on one scenario. Completely understand the necessity given the lack of a broken plays expert but how about always accompanying him with an on ball screen? At least throw in an extra variable as the straight up and down 1 on 1 iso plays to his weaknesses.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

For those of you calling for more off the ball movement wasn't that eliminated for the sake of simplicity or is there some catch that i'm missing to that?

Also as good as a passer that Roy is the fact that he hardly touches the ball when he's in the game is a traveshamockery.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I wouldn't have traded the best shooter on the team (Rush) for absolutely nothing.

PS He could also defend. SF is delighted to have him.

Mood

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Also, I'd basically look up Sacramento's greatest hits with regards to plays they ran to get Peja open shots off the ball... and run them all for Danny. Sometimes for Paul.
    Heck, just using Miami's plays would be an improvement. LeBron ran off screens, got picks, waited for kickouts, etc. For all that we talk about just giving it to Bron and letting him go, they had more structured plays for their SF than we have for ours.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sorry for not reading all the posts, but I'm just taking opn my thoughts and hoping I don't annoy anyone with repating previously mentioned ideas

For starters, it sure seems like everyone on the roster is allergic to dunking. Can't say how many times I have yelled at a guy to dunk the danged ball after watching him miss an open lay-up.

Secondly, Hibbert should be posting up 4-5 times per quarter. He's freaking 7 ft tall! POST UP YOU DOLT!!

Also, if we could get the league rules changed to allow Hibbert to dunk, that would be great. Its such an unfair disadvantage that he isn't allowed to dunk. I mean, if it was allowed under NBA rules I think he would probably dunk several times each game.

Collison needs to figure out how to come off a pick, too.

Everyone should drink some of what is in Amundson's coffee. Dude motors.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I wouldn't have traded the best shooter on the team (Rush) for absolutely nothing.

PS He could also defend. SF is delighted to have him.
    Nothing? Sweet Lou has actually been solid this year. He isn't a world beater, but he plays a role and we desperately needed big man depth.

I don't think most fans truly realize what Dunleavy and McRoberts brought off the bench as Pacers. Any time you lose that sort of understanding of the game by players who don't mind facilitating and moving without the basketball, it's going to hurt your team.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post: