Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat/Pacers postgame thread

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Heat/Pacers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am one of the biggest Collison critics on this board. But you have to give him credit for his performance last night. He was the only one bringing game to the floor, he hit some big shots, and he was the big key to an almost comeback in the 3rd quarter.

That said, it is true that he can't stop his man on defense (and that may not be very fixable). It is also true that he is not a floor general and doesn't see the floor that well, although to his credit he has been very different so far this year in his clear focus on passing the ball around instead of looking for his own shot.

We need a true playmaker/point guard. But Collison's effort and improvement so far this year is making the wait a little less painful.
    I don't know why we have to give him credit for last night. I'm willing to give him credit for the first 5 games, that everyone has said he's been better, but last night he wasn't. He was the 3rd best starter for us last night, so he certainly wasn't even close to the biggest problem, but he didn't come close to winning his match-up either.

Unfortunately, I just didn't see anything last night to make me change my stance of point guard being this team's biggest problem area. No question, we were a better team with Collison on the court last night. Hill was probably my biggest disappointment of the night, because I expected more.

It's nice that he can make shots. He's definitely a more than capable scorer. We knew that. It's every other area of the game that he needs to show marked improvement. He needs to look to get others involved more. He needs to play defense. Scoring should be the least of his worries. The points will come.

Part of this was panic. We started getting behind and Danny starting throwing up crap in desperation. So his problems are not only trust, but also being mentally weak, not having the patience to grind out a comeback the correct way.
    Agree about going into panic mode as soon as things start going in the wrong direction. While DG may be the ringleader of quickly devolving into 1 on 1 in that situation, I'd say that's also a team problem for the most part. Patience and persistence are not the strong suit right now.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

3. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Let me throw some dap to my lone bright spot tonight...Lance. I was very disappointed to see him get hurt, as honestly I thought his first stint tonight was the most under control he has played on both sides of the ball. He also looks a lot better to me when he gets to play off the ball, like he was tonight. If you noticed in Lance's short time on the floor, Hill was getting the team into the offense, and then we were letting Lance try and create off the dribble, once everyone was in the right place. And IMO, he looked at his best doing that. If he's going to succeed, it's time for the Lance as a PG adventure to end. Let him be a wing, and I think you'll see him vastly improve. My one criticism tonight of Lance? He had his man beaten off the dribble more than once and immediately looked up for the pass, even when he probably could have made an easier move for a score. I'm almost begging at this point...let Lance play SG full time...please, for the love of God.
    Play lance off the ball and you take away everything he does best. He lights up with the ball in his hands. He just has to make better decisions and show patience and he will be fine. At least he appears to be making an effort to do what the coaches are asking him to do. Give him time

Granger's performance was troubling, in my opinion.

Don't you have to figure that West's line about "no more going one on one" had to do with Granger? Because that's what Danny kept trying to do again and again last night.

Danny clearly does not trust the rest of the team. Now, part of the reason for this is the rest of the team can't create a shot. TPTB either needs to acquire a playmaker or develop a better offense.

Nevertheless, Danny Granger needs to be more mature than this. He needs to pass the ball, work the offense, look for true opportunities to score rather than force utter crap against two and three defenders early in the shot clock—which he did several times last night.

Part of this was panic. We started getting behind and Danny starting throwing up crap in desperation. So his problems are not only trust, but also being mentally weak, not having the patience to grind out a comeback the correct way.

Let's hope to God that David West gets in his grill and has some talks with him.
    Danny thinks he is better than he is. Nothing more than a role player, weak mentally, not very smart, and only gives effort some of the time. James Jones played his role perfectly last night, Danny had no clue.

I read through every post but wanted to wait until I had slept before posting after that display last night.

First thing I thought about the game when I woke up - Roy Hibbert played pretty well, and I am not sure it has been pointed out yet. There were times that I kept thinking "get Roy back in there", and I rarely ever think that. He seems to be fulfilling the desire many of us have for him to be more like Rik Smits, when you can throw the ball down to him on the post and he can get you a basket. Still a long way to go, but if I am looking for one positive from the game, it is Roy Hibbert.

It's gotta happen. We've taken all the slasher out of him and he's now looking to pass too much. The guy is a shooting guard. We are completely ruining whatever chance he has to be a valuable player for us just because Bird or Vogel or someone in the Pacers organization has a wet dream about a 6'5" point guard.
    If that is true then the Pacers have about 6 shooting guards and no point guards. That might be the biggest problem. Lance sees the floor better than anyone on the team and that does you no good if you don't have the ball in your hands once in awhile. I think he needs to be able to get out and run the brake, and that is not going to happen with West and Hibbert on the floor at the same time.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Not having passers who can move the offense and not having team defenders hurts. The Pacers may not have won, but they would have been closer with McRoberts and Rush and Dunleavy.

Hopefully last night was a learning experience for the Pacers.

One other thing tonight showed us, it's so sad from a legacy stand point that Lebron decided to try and buddy cop it up with Wade in Miami. He is amazing when he gets to constantly have the ball in his hands and create, I know he's kind of a prima donna or whatever, but jeez, is there a skill this guy doesn't have? I mean really, tonight was a crescendo of a performance by him. 33 points on 21 shots, 13 assists, 8 boards.

I know Miami probably has a boner for Wade, but god I'd Herschel Walker trade his *** to some other team. I firmly believe that the "Lebron isn't clutch" theory would get blown out of the water if he didn't have to share the ball with another ball dominant perimeter player, but alas, Le King sold that down the river. Too bad...he could have had something magical in New York with Amare.
    I agree with you. There is nothing Labron can't do. It was like a grown up playing with little kids last night.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    Mackey, this wasn't a game to judge anything on imo. I think DC has definitely improved over last season.
    I am beginning to think Indiana has forgotten what a point guard it. Until we get one, we will be mediocre at best.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctor-h For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    One thing I seriously wonder is if Collison can be "an extension of the coach" on the floor. Really, the issue with this team is its ability to execute the offense. This doesn't take a great amount of skill. It takes practice, a willingness to share the ball and simply a lot of hard work. This is the problem. It can be solved. But still, I do worry about our PG situation. It's not terrible but everything starts right there. We need to see if one of them can adequately get the offensive flow started.
    RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    1) No. But you clearly have it out for Granger, and have for a long time. You slam him every chance you get, and that isn't only saved for stinkers like tonight.

2) No, we both know he won't continue to shoot that poorly, and supposedly he is playing with an injured hand. May have something to do with it, I don't know, but the sample size is small and he will get better.

3) No, but DC has been much better this season, on both sides of the ball. Probably been our most consistent player, which you wouldn't know, because evidently tonight was the first game you have watched all season.

4) If the guy is hurt, he's hurt. He's a valuable rotation player when he's not, and why throw him out there early in the season if he's not 100%? Are players not allowed to rest or nurse injuries? The guy has been a pro for his entire career with the team and is very valuable when he plays.
    If DC is our most consistent player, boy are we in trouble. I guess staying in front of your man, especially when you are the quickest guy on the floor most nights, not paying attention on an out of bounds play, falling asleep and giving up an uncontested layup, always running around any pick to avoid any contact instead of fighting thru it like you are taught and not having a clue how to run a team will make you consistent all right.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I criticize DC plenty, but he deserves plenty of credit this game, and in general for his play this season so far. It's weird but now I get worried when he checks out of the game.

I really wish we'd play Hill exclusively at off guard, at least for a while. The Hill at PG experiment is not working. Play AJ, trade for another point guard, sign someone from the D-League, I don't know. But we badly need another playmaker.
    Hill has not been given a chance to play PG consistently. I guess when you play point in San Antonio where they actually expect there point to run the show it would not translate to Indiana where we are satisified with always trying to make someone a point guard instead of going out and getting one. It has been that way since Mark Jackson left.

Mood

Sports Logo

POSTGAME episode of PacersTV!! is up. It's mostly cooking and *****ing, so forgive the length, the lack of overall content, or respect towards players.

witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Atleast Vogel is owning up to the loss. He said in the paper today that he gambled with the Zone defense and it didn't work. Like said last night, Pacers are probably going to score in the 80's all year. They have to be solid defensively, well last night we tried a defensive scheme that we never tried before and tried it against the best team in the league. Who did not even play the the one player the zone defense was designed to stop. Thats a JOB-esque mistake right there, atleast he is owning up to it.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...or-the-pacers/
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

By the way I know that Danny was crap and everybody including myself are mad at him, but what about West? Wasn't he supposed to be the guy that was going to help Danny? "the second option"? I know he is still recovering but damn we need somebody and right now he is not cutting it, other than his leadership I don't see anything else on the court.

Yes I know I'm "the hater" I'm just asking a serious question here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude, West has barely stretched his knee. If he isn't better by the all-star break - panic.

Mood

Talking Re: Heat/Pacers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    By the way I know that Danny was crap and everybody including myself are mad at him, but what about West? Wasn't he supposed to be the guy that was going to help Danny? "the second option"? I know he is still recovering but damn we need somebody and right now he is not cutting it, other than his leadership I don't see anything else on the court.

Yes I know I'm "the hater" I'm just asking a serious question here.
    No he is clearly not himself yet. But he doesn't kill you on both ends when he is off his game. He normally moves the ball on offense and takes good shots like he has been they just haven't been falling. His defensive rotations is still a work in progress. But he is getting gased really early in the game I dont know I should of expected it being as I missed time like he did when I broke my arm. It took me 20 games to feel myself again. Being an ACL it probably will take a lot more time at least another month. I feel the biggest issue is he has been playing ball for less than a month he is still rusty with his shot and will take time. His conditioning should be getting better soon though. With that said West is the farthest thing from our main issue.

I broke my wrist/hand on a very similar play to what Manu did the other night brought back memory's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    No he is clearly not himself yet. But he doesn't kill you on both ends when he is off his game. He normally moves the ball on offense and takes good shots like he has been they just haven't been falling. His defensive rotations is still a work in progress. But he is getting gased really early in the game I dont know I should of expected it being as I missed time like he did when I broke my arm. It took me 20 games to feel myself again. Being an ACL it probably will take a lot more time at least another month. I feel the biggest issue is he has been playing ball for less than a month he is still rusty with his shot and will take time. His conditioning should be getting better soon though. With that said West is the farthest thing from our main issue.

I broke my wrist/hand on a very similar play to what Manu did the other night brought back memory's.
    I understand everything you are telling me here, I predicted that it was going to take him few months to be ready, the problem is that with 66 games this year we don't have time to be waiting for him to be ready, I disagree with you on "the farthest Thing from our main issue" he was brought here as "the man" not just the leader but the second best scorer on the team and so far we haven't seen anything. His defense was been pretty bad too, him and Tyler have been bad on defense so far.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    If DC is our most consistent player, boy are we in trouble. I guess staying in front of your man, especially when you are the quickest guy on the floor most nights, not paying attention on an out of bounds play, falling asleep and giving up an uncontested layup, always running around any pick to avoid any contact instead of fighting thru it like you are taught and not having a clue how to run a team will make you consistent all right.
    DC still has his issues. But of our guards, I think he has performed the best. And yes, that's a huge problem.

Hill has not been given a chance to play PG consistently. I guess when you play point in San Antonio where they actually expect there point to run the show it would not translate to Indiana where we are satisified with always trying to make someone a point guard instead of going out and getting one. It has been that way since Mark Jackson left.
    In fairness to Hill, he's probably still adjusting. On the other hand, even in SA he played more like a wing than a PG, even when he was nominally the PG. I definitely agree that we should be playing a PG who can, well, point.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I understand everything you are telling me here, I predicted that it was going to take him few months to be ready, the problem is that with 66 games this year we don't have time to be waiting for him to be ready, I disagree with you on "the farthest Thing from our main issue" he was brought here as "the man" not just the leader but the second best scorer on the team and so far we haven't seen anything. His defense was been pretty bad too, him and Tyler have been bad on defense so far.
    West's problems are very different than Granger's.

West is struggling with execution. He makes good decisions, gives great effort, plays smart.

Granger is also not executing. But I can live with that. Precision comes and goes. It's his decision making and judgment that is so bad.

What's worse: I'm not convinced his judgment is that bad. I think he may know exactly what he's doing, but is too immature, selfish, or stubborn to care.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

with the way the team is constructed there is no "the man". I figured his numbers would stay similar because we would run an offense that caters to more PnRs and his game which we are. But his shot isn't falling but he is still averaging 15 and 9 on 40% shooting if he had his jumper he would be up to his career average around 18 with 50% . His on ball defense hasn't been bad. His transition defense and his off ball and rotations have been bad and to me the rotation and off ball are not knowing the scheme yet or not trusting it.

I like what he is doing even if he is playing poorly if Tyler had West's IQ and decision making skills I would love Tyler and his game.

West played in a very slow paced system in NOLA Monty Williams is a grind it out defense first guy who tries to shorten the game. He is basically Nate McMillan jr. he is a very good coach. He was a good defender in NO because he knew the system and trusted it in time I think he will get better in the weakness areas.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

I am one of the biggest Collison critics on this board. But you have to give him credit for his performance last night. He was the only one bringing game to the floor, he hit some big shots, and he was the big key to an almost comeback in the 3rd quarter.

That said, it is true that he can't stop his man on defense (and that may not be very fixable). It is also true that he is not a floor general and doesn't see the floor that well, although to his credit he has been very different so far this year in his clear focus on passing the ball around instead of looking for his own shot.

We need a true playmaker/point guard. But Collison's effort and improvement so far this year is making the wait a little less painful.

I've never been a Andre Miller fan per se, BUT even at 35 years old playing 18-20 minutes the man produces. He's still averaging almost 7 asts per game. He a distributor, he gets his teammates involved, and he shoots a good %. I'd love Bird/FO to get him. He could be a great influence on Collision and developing his game. I don't know what it would take to get Dre, but I'd sure look into getting him for a couple of years. He's a 7.8 mil expiring.

Maybe Price, 2nd/Stanko, and cap. They'd have more money then to spend on re-signing Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, and K-Mart in March.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Play lance off the ball and you take away everything he does best. He lights up with the ball in his hands. He just has to make better decisions and show patience and he will be fine. At least he appears to be making an effort to do what the coaches are asking him to do. Give him time
    Since when does every shooting guard in the NBA play without the ball in their hands? Isn't it usuallyt he opposite.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

speaking of the zone defense... They should have stopped using it after the second time they tried..

Everytime they started it up, you could see Miami immediately reacted to it and started running something that completly destroyed our defense... Unfortunetly we continued to run it in parts through the game.. They obviously practiced against it and we obviously haven't practiced it. Bad idea.. One of many bad things that happened to the Pacers on January 4th, 2012. It wasn't their day.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I've never been a Andre Miller fan per se, BUT even at 35 years old playing 18-20 minutes the man produces. He's still averaging almost 7 asts per game. He a distributor, he gets his teammates involved, and he shoots a good %. I'd love Bird/FO to get him. He could be a great influence on Collision and developing his game. I don't know what it would take to get Dre, but I'd sure look into getting him for a couple of years. He's a 7.8 mil expiring.

Maybe Price, 2nd/Stanko, and cap. They'd have more money then to spend on re-signing Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, and K-Mart in March.
    They aren't trading him at least for that cheap. They wanted him for the same reasons you want him. He is mentoring Ty Lawson who is becoming a good pg one of the fastest guys with the ball in the league.