Thread: Vogel Grows a Guard in Indy

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Vogel Grows a Guard in Indy

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-voge...-guard-in-indy

Not once, but twice in the last year the Indiana Pacers have tried to plug their hole at the 2 by attempting to trade for Memphis Grizzlies shooting guard O.J. Mayo.

Twice, the deal has fallen through and the Pacers have been left to pick up the pieces.

But in spite of the team’s failed efforts, the answer to coach Frank Vogel’s prayers has been right under his nose the entire time: second-year swingman Paul George.

Without Mayo, George has been thrust into a starting role on a team that many believe could make a serious playoff run.

“Yeah, I think getting to play along with the kind of guys that I have is a great opportunity for me to grow on this team offensively,” George told HOOPSWORLD.

“Grow” is the operative word.

George was drafted as a 6-8, 215-pound string bean, but has suddenly shot up two inches while packing on a few more pounds of muscle.

“I didn’t really notice until I got back here,” George said of his growth spurt. “Everybody was saying that I got taller but I just thought it was people who haven’t seen me in awhile. I measured myself and I ended up being taller then last year.”

Opponents would say he’s better than last year, too.

Through five games George is averaging 12.1 PPG and 4.6 RPG in 33.4 MPG (up from 7.8 PPG, 3.7 RPG and 20.7 MPG). His Player Efficiency Rating is up to 16.37 and his true shooting percentage has rocketed up to 68.6 thanks to his 92.3% mark at the free throw line. George has also bumped his 3-point percentage up to 63.2%, which is obviously unsustainable, but is nonetheless a positive sign.

“Coach (Frank) Vogel has told me many times to be aggressive and take the open shots,” George said. “(I’m) just being more assertive on the offensive end, that’s been the biggest difference. I’m just trying to work on areas of my game that my team needs me the most on offense.”

Perhaps most importantly, George is building of last year’s solid defensive performance against Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose in the playoffs.

Fearing that the 6-4 Rose would be too much for his smallish point guards, Vogel put George on Rose for stretches of time in spite of the then-rookie’s poor defensive reputation.

George still needs work on the defensive end, but he’s using that performance (and his seven-foot-plus wingspan) to propel himself into another class defensively.

“I think that series definitely set the tone for this team and for myself,” George said. “It set the tone for the rest of my career as well. I need to play at that level defensively against everybody that I match up with. It definitely was a building block for my career defensively.”

The Pacers offense is still struggling overall, however the team ranks eighth in defensive efficiency. Having a 6-10 shooting guard might not be directly responsible, but over time opposing 2s are going to start to fear Indiana because they know what kind of talent is growing there.
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Vogel Grows a Guard in Indy

Paul George for MVP.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But can he dribble a basketball...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, trade him for OJ Mayo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I'd rather he planted a point guard seed somewhere in his garden.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I know you've only seen one game, and DC didn't look that great. But the first five games of the season he looked a lot more improved, and has probably been our best player so far.

I like DC, but I've always seen the problems in his game, and he has gotten better. Don't judge based on the Miami performance, that's a little unfair. (ie everyone sucked..except Roy.)

Although I still maintain that Price is the only pure PG on the roster.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Naw...thanks to you, I just realized that he could have believed he was playing yo-yo everytime he pushed the ball to the floor and the ball came back up to his hand.

Thanks for providing your infinite wisdom to thread.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Naw...thanks to you, I just realized that he could have believed he was playing yo-yo everytime he pushed the ball to the floor and the ball came back up to his hand.

Thanks for providing your infinite wisdom to thread.
    I'd be pretty impressed if he could walk the dog.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I know you've only seen one game, and DC didn't look that great. But the first five games of the season he looked a lot more improved, and has probably been our best player so far.

I like DC, but I've always seen the problems in his game, and he has gotten better. Don't judge based on the Miami performance, that's a little unfair. (ie everyone sucked..except Roy.)

Although I still maintain that Price is the only pure PG on the roster.
    good points

I still for the life of me cant understand how he averaged almost 10 assists per game (when starting) in his rookie year with a less talented squad in NO (in my opinoin) and now we have D West yet numbers are low

Is it becusae of our guys?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    good points

I still for the life of me cant understand how he averaged almost 10 assists per game (when starting) in his rookie year with a less talented squad in NO (in my opinoin) and now we have D West yet numbers are low

Is it becusae of our guys?
    First of all, people are obsessed with an individual's assist. I blame Lebron and Nash for this. But it's ridiculous. It's not necessarily indicative of being a great play maker and having great court vision.

Team assists are important, and can give an indication of how well a team's offense is functioning.

DC averaged that many assists because of the system he was in. The kid has always been shoot first. (And if PG isn't ready to be a reliable scorer for us yet, that's actually a good thing.) He is pretty much the same thing as he's always been, although improved. The system just helped him.

Similar to Felton in D'Antonie's system last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    First of all, people are obsessed with an individual's assist. I blame Lebron and Nash for this. But it's ridiculous. It's not necessarily indicative of being a great play maker and having great court vision.
    Team assists are important, and can give an indication of how well a team's offense is functioning.

DC averaged that many assists because of the system he was in. The kid has always been shoot first. (And if PG isn't ready to be a reliable scorer for us yet, that's actually a good thing.) He is pretty much the same thing as he's always been, although improved. The system just helped him.

Similar to Felton in D'Antonie's system last year.
    Yes and no. It can be overstated much like a player averaging 24pts a game on 18 shot attempts for a very bad team

However, its not a coincedence if you look at the top 5 leaders in assists , they are generally considered the upper echelon of PG's in the NBA

Jose Calderon was the exception

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Or a power forward seed. Or a small forward seed. Or a backup center seed. Wait...he's going to need an entire nursery to satisfy you.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Or a power forward seed. Or a small forward seed. Or a backup center seed. Wait...he's going to need an entire nursery to satisfy you.
    I heard McBob (yeah dude I called you McBob , so what want to fight about it?, family guy reference) has a green thumb