Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford thinks it makes sense

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford thinks it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Just imagine how good Collison will be when he's no longer a rookie.....
    lol
    Hey, I fully understand that Collison is never gonna be Nash in his prime. I'm just saying the guy has potential, a lot more than a bunch of guys on this forum seem to think. Also, I would go as far as saying a young Collison might be better then an old Nash, who's had a lot of playoff mileage, as soon as next year.

DC and Jones

for

Nash and Lopez

We get a point guard that can make things happen. Frees up minutes for Lance and AJ. We also get a backup Center.

I think the Suns could use Jones since their backup SG is Redd and how healthy can he be/how many minutes can he really play. Plus he can play backup SF, which they are also pretty weak at.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7euuttd
    -6 wins though.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 01-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

..and phoenix gives up their young center, along with their veteran star for darren collison and cap filler...because?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    DC and Jones

for

Nash and Lopez

We get a point guard that can make things happen. Frees up minutes for Lance and AJ. We also get a backup Center.

I think the Suns could use Jones since their backup SG is Redd and how healthy can he be/how many minutes can he really play. Plus he can play backup SF, which they are also pretty weak at.
    That only makes sense for us if they will trade their weather for ours as part of the package.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    lol
    Hey, I fully understand that Collison is never gonna be Nash in his prime. I'm just saying the guy has potential, a lot more than a bunch of guys on this forum seem to think. Also, I would go as far as saying a young Collison might be better then an old Nash, who's had a lot of playoff mileage, as soon as next year.
    My point is, there's a reason you used that small sample size from his rookie year in new orleans, instead of the much larger, more relevant sample size from last year in Indiana.

..and phoenix gives up their young center, along with their veteran star for darren collison and cap filler...because?
    Cause they have Gortat and other needs. Namely SG and SF.

And I'm not saying they'd do it. That's just what I'd like to see.

Now really free Lance!

They can find wing players off the street for what Jones can give them. They have no need to trade Robin Lopez for one.

Mood

My point is, there's a reason you used that small sample size from his rookie year in new orleans, instead of the much larger, more relevant sample size from last year in Indiana.
    1 thing I'd like to point out is that Collison was on his 4th head coach in less than 2 years, last year

There's always an excuse. I've used about 30 myself for Rodney Stuckey.

Bottom line is, if you're getting significant minutes, you need to produce.

This isn't football. It isn't like a QB going through multiple coordinators. Coaching can only affect your level of play so much.

Maybe Collison will eventually grow into a star, but I don't think there's any doubt that he was a disappointment last season.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

No way! The Pacers wouldn't win a championship with Nash and then you would just be back looking for a starting PG after a few years. This only works if Bird thinks Lance would be ready to be the starting PG in a few years. If not, then be patient until a truly championship move becomes available.

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A trade of Collison + a Pacers future 1st round pick for Nash would make sense for both teams.

Everyone in Phoenix knows that Nash is starting to slip and probably won't be back next year, especially after they let Amare walk last year. He probably wants to go play in New York, LA, or return to Dallas. So, for Phoenix getting Collison (and taking back less salary in the process) would make a lot of sense. If they also get a 1st rounder in the deal, Phoenix would be getting the better end of the deal, IMO.

I'm not too excited about getting Nash more because he's lost a step and his defense if terrible. DC is also playing good defense so far this season and he's passing way more than he's shooting. If his teammates could hit open shots, he'd probably be averaging close to 9 assists again. Those that are saying it's a no-brainer for the Pacers to make this trade are seriously undervaluing Collison.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

By the Numbers
    Darren Collison (24 years old):

PPG APG RPG PER
    10.6 7.2 1.8 17.38

Steve Nash (38 years old):

PPG APG RPG PER
    10.8 8.0 1.4 13.88

Nearly identical so far this season, but one is 14 years younger. Why would we do this? This MAY get us to the ECF, if it doesn't, then what? I love Nash. He IMO has been one of the greatest PGs in history but his time is up.

Anyone who is saying Nash has been playing superior to Collison clearly hasnt watched Collison play.

We are not at that level yet where we can go through different types of veterans like the Heat can.

Nash is superior to collison. Hus numbers are down because he's on the worst team in the western conference.

If you think Collison is a star down the road, then fine. Just don't try to sell him as being better than steve nash at this moment in time. It simply isn't true.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

There's always an excuse. I've used about 30 myself for Rodney Stuckey.

Bottom line is, if you're getting significant minutes, you need to produce.

This isn't football. It isn't like a QB going through multiple coordinators. Coaching can only affect your level of play so much.

Maybe Collison will eventually grow into a star, but I don't think there's any doubt that he was a disappointment last season.
    Last season is in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    By the Numbers
    Darren Collison (24 years old):

PPG APG RPG PER
    10.6 7.2 1.8 17.38

Steve Nash (38 years old):

PPG APG RPG PER
    10.8 8.0 1.4 13.88

Nearly identical so far this season, but one is 14 years younger. Why would we do this? This MAY get us to the ECF, if it doesn't, then what? I love Nash. He IMO has been one of the greatest PGs in history but his time is up.

Anyone who is saying Nash has been playing superior to Collison clearly hasnt watched Collison play.
    Collison is the better long term, but Nash does bring a better flow offensively, even if his numbers through the first few games hasn't shown that, and more leadership. That's why I put the only way I'd go after Nash is if we get Lopez in return.

But Nash was on some great teams that couldn't win it all. Not sure how he'd do that here at 38.

Now really free Lance!

lol at using a 5 game sample size as a basis for comparison.

This trade would be a no-brainer imo. I won't say Darren Collison types are a dime a dozen, but with the renaissance the PG position seems to be enjoying, it won't be as difficult as it once was to find a player of similar ability if Nash is indeed 'done.'

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Collison has arguably been our best player thus far and nobody seems to realize it. Continues to be HIGHLY underrated here....

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Nash is superior to collison. Hus numbers are down because he's on the worst team in the western conference.

If you think Collison is a star down the road, then fine. Just don't try to sell him as being better than steve nash at this moment in time. It simply isn't true.
    I never said I think he is going to be a star down the road. I never said he was superior to Nash at the moment. What you said simply isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    At the moment, Andrea Bargnani and Ryan Anderson are all-stars.

at the moment, Louis Williams is a far superior player to Deron Williams.

At the moment, Ben Gordon is the superior player to Danny Granger

I think I'm beginning to like this game!
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-04-2012 at 05:25 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

A 5 game sample size means pretty much nothing.
    Thank you for pointing that out like I didn't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Nash has been dealing with a nagging rib injury this year. He said that it was still affecting the way he is playing. That is the reason for his numbers being low so far.

I would make the move. I would also see if they wanted to throw in Grant Hill while they are at it. Both are expiring. Both improve areas of "need". They would both be ultimate professionals.
    No... all Nash talk aside, If I had to see Grant Hill bug his eyes out on camera EVERY damn game multiple times, I would go absolutely crazy... crazy i tell you...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

At the moment, Andrea Bargnani and Ryan Anderson are all-stars.

at the moment, Louis Williams is a far superior player to Deron Williams.

At the moment, Ben Gordon is the superior player to Danny Granger

I think I'm beginning to like this game!
    Where did I ever say Collison is better than Nash right now?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

The thing that is comical in this trade is that Darren seems to be on the rise, and Steve is on the low, but at this point in time Steve is a few steps ahead of DC. At some point they will intersect... But as of right now Steve is superior and is likely to be the guy that brings all of George's, Danny's, West's, Roy's, and Hansbrough into a very cohesive unit.

Steve has the same intangibles that David West has too, don't forget about that. Not to mention, George Hill is a great guy to fall back on in the small chance it doesnt work out. I would do this trade despite really starting to like Darren, and that is because Steve is a much better player who still has three good years left in him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I don't get it. What are they really gonna get for a 38 year old Nash that's any better? Better to let him play out the year and leave for nothing?

Its a win now move... most contending teams lack good young talent to send. Most teams with young talent have no use for a 38 year old Nash.

The Pacers are in a unique, best of both worlds situation here. We have young talent and we are trying to win now.
    The only reason people go to Suns games is to watch Nash. If I am their owner I am not trading him unless it is a clear steal. JMO. They aren't trading him he is worth much more than DC2 to that franchise and city. Basketball is a business not just trying to win but fill up the seats as well. Unless he tells them he will be leaving in free agency I doubt they trade him.