Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford thinks it makes sense

Default Re: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford Thinks So

If Nash signs an extension and all we have to do is give up collison i say yes! Nash still has some good years in him and would give us more veteran leadership especially in the playoffs. Do it Bird
    I'm a Beast

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford thinks it makes sense

Isin't it illegal to have a player currently under contract to get a "wink wink I will resign here" from the team that might choose to extend?
    Sittin on top of the world!

As much as I would like to do that, I'd hate to move Collison away from this team after he's committed to trying to be a leader, after he finally gets a chance for some coach consistency, and after we surround him with a couple of familiar faces....

But Steve Nash would make this team very good though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isin't it illegal to have a player currently under contract to get a "wink wink I will resign here" from the team that might choose to extend?
    its illegal for any player to contact another team for any reason without permission.

If it's still available, I wouldn't mind revisiting this deal at the deadline, when we have more evidence to base our decision on. Why act now?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    As much as I would like to do that, I'd hate to move Collison away from this team after he's committed to trying to be a leader, after he finally gets a chance for some coach consistency, and after we surround him with a couple of familiar faces....

But Steve Nash would make this team very good though.
    Unless you think Darren Collison is a future all-star, this is a no-brainer move. 2 years of steve nash is worth 10 of what collison is currently giving.

This is all a moot point though, unless Sarver is willing to let his franchise player go and lose ticket sales, which he has been unwilling to do as of yet.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Unless you think Darren Collison is a future all-star, this is a no-brainer move. 2 years of steve nash is worth 10 of what collison is currently giving.

This is all a moot point though, unless Sarver is willing to let his franchise player go and lose ticket sales, which he has been unwilling to do as of yet.
    I'm saying I would like to do it though. It would be totally worth it. I'm just saying I wouldn't completely feel good about the move if it were to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    its illegal for any player to contact another team for any reason without permission.
    So please remind me if you can what was the deal when Minny lost draft picks for the "wink wink resign here" deal with Joe Smith?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously, DC2 will never have the career that Nash has had, but this season so far:

DC2:
    Age 24

PPG APG SPG 3P% FT%
    10.6 7.2 1.6 .667 .722

Nash:
    Age 37

PPG APG SPG 3P% FT%
    10.8 8.0 0.4 .316 1.000

I know Nash doesn't have a lot of talent around him anymore, but I'd very hesitant to do this deal. If DC is not in the future it's a no brainer, but I think he is part of the future. Just my opinion.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

If it's straight up, you pull the trigger. I like Darren, and actually have some mutual friends with him, but even at this stage of his career, Nash brings exactly what we need. If we can sign him for another 2 years its perfect, because by then, you have Lance at 24 years old, more mature and probably ready for a chance at the starting PG spot after 3 years of being behind Nash. Great situation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    If it's straight up, you pull the trigger. I like Darren, and actually have some mutual friends with him, but even at this stage of his career, Nash brings exactly what we need. If we can sign him for another 2 years its perfect, because by then, you have Lance at 24 years old, more mature and probably ready for a chance at the starting PG spot after 3 years of being behind Nash. Great situation.
    Yeah I wouldn't count on Lance to be our PG of the future.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

So please remind me if you can what was the deal when Minny lost draft picks for the "wink wink resign here" deal with Joe Smith?
    Something about take less money now for more money later. Then the league took 3 picks from them, which was an overreaction in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Something about take less money now for more money later. Then the league took 3 picks from them, which was an overreaction in my opinion.
    thats right , even though that probably went on more than we know the league wanted to make an example out of them

They rescinded his bird rights and re-signed him to a cheap 1-year deal with the promise (in writing) that he would get a multi-year extension down the road. The Wolves used the extra cap space to sign Chauncey Billups and LaPhonso Ellis.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Steve Nash for Darren Collison - Chad Ford Thinks So

If Nash was 30-34 maybe , but at this point I wouldn't trade DC straight up for him
    If Nash was 30-34 maybe? Uhhh......... I don't even know where to begin with that one.

Plus would Nash really want to come to Indy?
    Nash wants to win. He has a waaaaaaay better chance to win here than in Phx. I think he would welcome it with arms wide open.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

I think you take the gamble. I'd also have my players in Deron Williams ears if I am Larry Bird.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

A lot of PG's on the market in the next two seasons. Even the rental might not be a bad idea.

Raymond Felton is a free agent next season, or Deron Williams if you really want to shoot for the stars. Jameer Nelson is a free agent in two years. If Nash elevates you to an ECF caliber team, landing another guy becomes that much easier I think.

I think Felton and Nelson are the same tier of PG as Collison can likely be, If you think you can pick one of those guys up... why not roll the dice? If Nash makes you look like a title contender, who says Deron Williams might not even give you consideration?

If none of that happens, you aren't up **** creek, you still have George Hill. You might even have hope for Lance Stevenson.

Makes a lot of sense to me.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

What KStat said, though this would be a horrific trade for the Suns.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this happened, I guess I'd be 50/50 on it... Love Nash but ooooooold.

I'm still holding out hope for Rondo. He's my dream acquisition.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

Did the trade on ESPN's trade machine. While we all have varying opinions on Hollinger according to his analysis getting Nash for Collison would decrease the Pacers projected wins by 5 and increase the Suns by 5. Found that interesting and I'm not big on the per stat but that does backup my belief that it wouldn't be that good of a trade.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83qk7z6

Sports Logo

If we could somehow net Robin Lopez alongside Nash while sending DC+1st....I'd be okay with that.

I think that Bird's perceived window to put together the best, most competitive Team is 2 years.....as evidenced by West's signing of 2 years......his preference to go after JCraw for only 2 years and Granger's contract that last another 3 years ( yes, it's 3 years for Granger...but my guess is that we want to try to win as much as we can with Granger onboard before he heads off as a UFA ).

With GH and Lance backing him up....I think that Nash is in such good condition that he can still contribute at a high level for another 2 seasons if we don't over use him. I don't want to give up a 1st round pick....but Nash is a difference maker...even at his current age....the question is if he can contribute at a higher level then DC over the next 2 years or not.

But in the end...I am guessing that Nash will prefer to go to a Championship Contender....specifically the Celtics. I still think that Ainge will offer up Rondo for Nash and Lopez.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

That trade machine is bunk, I just did Steve Nash for AJ Price just to see what it would say. It had us only going up 1 win and the Suns only dropping 3 wins.

Yeah, cause Steve Nash is only worth 3 wins over AJ Price...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this does happens then I think another determining factor is Lance being able to take over the team next season..... Larry I feel sees Lance as the starter of the team in the near future. So in that sense Larry may feel DC is hampering Lance, so he becomes expendable. Plus why not have a hall of fame pg mentoring and grooming Lance......IMO
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    If this does happens then I think another determining factor is Lance being able to take over the team next season..... Larry I feel sees Lance as the starter of the team in the near future. So in that sense Larry may feel DC is hampering Lance, so he becomes expendable. Plus why not have a hall of fame pg mentoring and grooming Lance......IMO
    DC is hampering Lance? I mean seriously?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Personally, I would rather wait and see how Collison produces under Vogel. Keeping it real...even at 38, Nash is still producing at a high level. John Stockton had that same ageless game.