Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nets/Pacers postgame thread

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Re: Nets/Pacers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So they can catch Darren Collison's passes but not Lance's? Does Lance grease up the ball beforehand or what?
    Seems that way sometimes, the no-look pass he gave to tyler for a wide open layup was bricked badly the driving to the lane and dish out to tyler for a mid-range shot that he normally hits was bricked. That's two more assists that he probably should have got just off the top of my head. I just don't understand the ire really like you said we know he's a big project.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has anyone else noticed recently that as Lance has handled his PR better, the constant company line of "Lance is ridiculously talented, just wait and see!" has been pushed less and less by the Pacers front office and their associated acts? Coincidence? Maybe...but also, maybe not. It makes a lot more sense to tell us how talented Lance is when he's wading through a lot of PR trouble, but now that Lance has definitely seemed to round into a better person, we've heard it less and less.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Seems that way sometimes, the no-look pass he gave to tyler for a wide open layup was bricked badly the driving to the lane and dish out to tyler for a mid-range shot that he normally hits was bricked. That's two more assists that he probably should have got just off the top of my head. I just don't understand the ire really like you said we know he's a big project.
    It's not ire, but I honestly think playing AJ Price would make us a better team right now. What did AJ do to get demoted? I just don't really understand it. It's not like he's suddenly become a worse basketball player, if anything AJ has been very solid the few times he has gotten into games this seaosn.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    Just a few things:

I actually thought Danny played well tonight
    It also seemed like the refs really gave the Nets a lot more calls
    It felt like we lacked energy a lot of the night, and we still blew them out so that's nice.
    and did anyone else see when the camera caught Danny on the bench in the 4th when we had the game in hand. He looked almost like he was pouting, and then he put his head into his lap? Am I making something out of nothing?
    I didn't see that. I saw a cut away where he was on the bench and happy one of our guys made a three.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

It's not ire, but I honestly think playing AJ Price would make us a better team right now. What did AJ do to get demoted? I just don't really understand it. It's not like he's suddenly become a worse basketball player, if anything AJ has been very solid the few times he has gotten into games this seaosn.
    I think we're trying to see what we can get out Lance and try to develop him as much as we can and see what we got. I think we pretty much know what we can get out of AJ. I think if (and God forbid) one of our point guards go down I think AJ would start seeing minutes and probably moreso than Lance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

What did AJ do to get demoted?
    I would guess he got outplayed in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I think we're trying to see what we can get out Lance and try to develop him as much as we can and see what we got. I think we pretty much know what we can get out of AJ. I think if (and God forbid) one of our point guards go down I think AJ would start seeing minutes and probably moreso than Lance.
    Maybe, I'm honestly not trying to **** on the parade of what has been a good start to the season, but at some point Lance either has to produce or he needs to see his minutes go down. That's just my opinion on it. I'm rooting for Lance just like I will any Pacer, but I think right now I'd much rather see AJ getting his minutes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I would guess he got outplayed in practice.
    See but I don't think that's true. Lance seemed to be just given his minutes even before we arrived to the shortened training camp. Guess we'll just have to see, but right now, I haven't seen a single in game reason as to why Lance plays above AJ.

See but I don't think that's true. Lance seemed to be just given his minutes even before we arrived to the shortened training camp. Guess we'll just have to see, but right now, I haven't seen a single in game reason as to why Lance plays above AJ.
    I don't know how many times I have heard Lance refereed to as one of our best players in camp or one of our most skilled players in general. these statements have come from the management, the coaching staff and the tv crew. If they didn't believe Lance could be a good player for us he wouldn't be on this team. It would have been far easier to let him go than deal with the PR. Management obviously thinks he is worth the trouble.

He looked selfish a couple times down the court with the clear the bench lineup, however I didn't think he looked bad the rest of the game. What is your issue with his performance?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

The fact is, and this is a big point, we've improved to a point where Lance Stephenson is our worst rotation player right now, and everyone knew he was a big project. Amundson and Jones are frustrating, but are both guys that have played big minutes on good playoff teams out West. That's a good spot to be.
    Absolutely.

And I don't think Lance has been as bad as you're implying. I'm not convinced yet that he's "Born Ready," but there's clearly some skills under there and he's definitely improved quite a bit since last year. Heck, on defense alone you've got to admit that he's hardly the same player.

Has anyone else noticed recently that as Lance has handled his PR better, the constant company line of "Lance is ridiculously talented, just wait and see!" has been pushed less and less by the Pacers front office and their associated acts?
    No, not really.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I don't know how many times I have heard Lance refereed to as one of our best players in camp or one of our most skilled players in general. these statements have come from the management, the coaching staff and the tv crew. If they didn't believe Lance could be a good player for us he wouldn't be on this team. It would have been far easier to let him go than deal with the PR. Management obviously thinks he is worth the trouble.

He looked selfish a couple times down the court with the clear the bench lineup, however I didn't think he looked bad the rest of the game. What is your issue with his performance?
    Defense, indecision offensively, stuck between a point guard and a shooting guard. No reliable jump shot. Dribbles the ball too high. Gets caught with his head down as he goes to the basket too often...

Honestly, I'd probably like Lance a lot more on the court if we just made him a shooting guard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

AJ Price is a second round pick in his third year, coming off of a subpar year (which I think had a lot to do with breaking his knee cap, but you know...some don't. )

He's not the guy that Larry Bird traded Troy Murphy to come be our starter for. He's not the guy that Larry Bird traded our first round draft pick for to get, and he's not the second rounder that Larry Bird has been building up/is in love with.

He isn't that well known, and he hasn't been invested in. And quite frankly, I think team chemistry is probably better if Price is the guy sitting out. You play Stephenson, and suddenly he has something to lose if he screws up. You sit him on the bench, and what is his incentive to behave? Meanwhile, AJ looks downright happy cheering on the bench. If he's not (which I'd guess, at least part of him isn't..) then he's covering it well, and not causing an issue.

I also don't think Lance's minutes matter that much anyway, he's clearly getting "project" minutes. They're insignificant. If he starts hurting the team too bad, Vogel yanks him. (Like he did tonight). At some point, he'll have to prove he's worth the "project" label. But he's played at a really terrible level. And it's all mental (okay not all, he can't guard point guards)
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-03-2012 at 12:20 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

As for the "The Nets are an awful team and we barely beat them" meme, if they'd played this hard over the past five games there's no way they'd have the record they do.

They won their first game and lost their next five. The longer a losing streak goes, the less you want to be the team that plays them, since they're going to play as hard as they can to break the streak.

That's as energetic an opposing team as I've seen this year (although I didn't see the second Pistons game).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Honestly I get excited to see Lance out there for his brief minutes. He is electrifying in my opinion. I want to see what kind of pass he is about to pull out his ***. I'd also like to see him attack the rim more often. He would be great at coming up the court getting a quick 2 pts after the other team just drilled a 3 quick three on us. Sometimes you just need quick points. Give to it Lance and tell him to attack.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Lance seems like he cares and really wants to do well but I really haven't seen a lot out of him that has been overly impressive. I do like seeing him on the court but for some reason his decision making isn't that good right now.
    Last edited by cramerica; 01-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.

I wish Granger would snap out of that shooting slump. 4-14 is turrible. Vogel needs to set him with some screens so he can knock down a mid range jumper in the paint. Right now he gets the ball and dribbles around to try and get to one of his spots so he can pull up and try to knock one down with a hand in his face.

Also right or wrong, he gets called for charging every game, and tonight it was the wrong all, that defender was will still sliding over. 1st qtr I believe. But the scouting report on Granger has probably stressed this by the defense. Just get in his way and allow the refs to bail you out. He needs to develop some sort of spin move, or he needs to learn out to stop and pop right before he slams into a guy. Cause the defense is keying on this portion of Danny's game, and the officials are looking for it.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 01-03-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

I was just glad to see us make more passes again tonight. We will live and die with our willingness to keep trying to find the open man.

Also, can we please start closing out on 3 point shooters? Tyler is the worst about this, but unfortunately he's far from the only one.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Defense, indecision offensively, stuck between a point guard and a shooting guard. No reliable jump shot. Dribbles the ball too high. Gets caught with his head down as he goes to the basket too often...

Honestly, I'd probably like Lance a lot more on the court if we just made him a shooting guard.
    His defense has definitely improved since last season and he didn't have a foul until the fourth quarter. He stands tall, however I never noticed a problem with his dribbling except when he gets caught in traffic. Some indecision should be expected from a player trying to find his role on the team(when to attack vs. when to defer). I really don't think we have seen enough of him to judge his jump shot.

The only reason you call him a tweaner is that he is 6'5. If he can play respectable defense against Pgs, of which he appears to be capable, there is nothing stoping him from just being a tall point guard. He obviously likes to distribute, which is the skill most tweaners lack. Most combo guards are short shooting guards, he is the opposite.

What does Price do better than him exactly, chuck threes?

Mood

Of course Lance hasn't looked too good, he's barely played ANY minutes during his entire career! It's really hard to play good basketball when you've only played 27 minutes of basketball in 2 seasons.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

His defense has definitely improved since last season and he didn't have a foul until the fourth quarter. He stands tall, however I never noticed a problem with his dribbling except when he gets caught in traffic. Some indecision should be expected from a player trying to find his role on the team(when to attack vs. when to defer). I really don't think we have seen enough of him to judge his jump shot.

The only reason you call him a tweaner is that he is 6'5. If he can play respectable defense against Pgs, of which he appears to be capable, there is nothing stoping him from just being a tall point guard. He obviously likes to distribute, which is the skill most tweaners lack. Most combo guards are short shooting guards, he is the opposite.

I think that's a pretty limited view of Price's game to say he is just a three point chucker.

I think that's a pretty limited view of Price's game to say he is just a three point chucker.
    Certainly, I was just asking what you thought he did better than Lance. Shooting threes is just one obvious difference between their games.

Certainly, I was just asking what you thought he did better than Lance. Shooting threes is just one obvious difference between their games.
    For starters, Price runs the pick and roll much better. He also has a solid mid range jumper to make him a legitimate threat coming off the pick.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

It seems to be a pivotal question for our roster: does AJ or Lance run the pick and roll better, especially with Hans/West?

Edit: Guess I'm wondering if everyone is on the same page as Joe. If so, I don't think this is a discussion. We don't need Lance running Hill into the ground having to legitimately backup both guard spots when we have a perfectly serviceable backup point guard sitting on the bench.
    Last edited by AesopRockOn; 01-03-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: TraderJoe posted exactly what I was posting...

It's about time AJ saw the floor. He needs to play, and play over Lance for the time being. In 2:51 tonight, AJ had 3 points, 2 rebound, an assist and no turnovers. I'm an AJ fan, so I want to see him play. He's too good to be the last man on our bench. Lance does nothing for me. Take your game to Rucker Park, Lance.
    Here we come lottery?

Moves the ball, moves himself in the right place, making basketball reads (IE, knowing where to move when Danny is planning driving to the basket, so that Danny can kick it out to him when Danny inevitably gets into trouble..) makes the right passes, defends significantly better, handles the ball, doesn't dribble himself into trouble, understands that there are more than himself and the person he's planning on passing to for the assist on the court, runs an offense..and yea, spaces the court. And he came into the league being able to do these things.

Honestly, the only thing Lance does better than AJ is the flashy pass, which is usually a dumb pass anyway.

So in essence, Price is a significant upgrade on the mental aspect of the game, as well as defense, shooting, ball handling, and solid passing (not flashy passing, Lance has got him beat there.)

Price is very good in the pick and roll, but that is something I actually think Lance is pretty decent at. Granted, AJ is probably best to do it with Tyler, just because Tyler is pretty terrible at it (often leaves early, leaving the guard double teamed, and never really setting the pick.) Last year, Price just dealt with it and passed him the ball for the open jumper. DC used to actually call him back and make him do it again.
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-03-2012 at 01:22 AM.