Thread: Comparing Artest and Bender

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Comparing Artest and Bender

From NBA.com:

"Artest originally was supposed to sit out with a sore right knee. But after the pregame shootaround, he decided to play and came through with 31 points and nine rebounds."

I didn't even know he was hurt.

Bender, however, did seem to do pretty well when he was in. Gave us a quick surge, really. Then we didn't see him again. I'm assuming because of the injury, but don't really know for sure.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Comparing Artest and Bender

Bender looked good, he gave the Pacers a lift and some instant offense. I would assume he got tired very quickly because he hasn't played much at all. I'll let others discuss Ronnie.

Pacers.com says Artest sat out Saturday practice and an hour before the game said he couldn't play. Then he consulted the physicians who said he wouldn't cause any structural damage.

So he just played through the pain.

Again...Artest vs. Bender.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

The coaches were intentionally holding JB to 8-10min per half as a precaution.

When he was out there he looked good.

Sports Logo

Bender looked at times like he was ready to play and at other times like he was a little lost out there.

On a side note my daughter even noticed that he had bulked up. (she is 11 and not a huge hoops fan)

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know a lot of people don't believe in Ron being good for so many wins per season , but he stepped up huge tonight IMHO and played a great game. If Ron wouldn't have played tonight we coulda lost by 20 easy , I am glad Donnie and Larry kept Ron and didn't trade him even more , I think people are going to see a New and Improved Artest this year.

It just makes me wonder though why people would want to trade such a great player ,giving up on Artest and having the Injuries we have now would have been a kiss of death right now.

I think we have a Legit shot of being 9-5 or 10 -4 if we keep playing this kinda basketball , through the first 14 games. I really do think we will be okay , it's the only way you can think , these guys showed me alot tonight.
    [edit=279=1099541015][/edit]

Could Bender have caused "structural damage"? Is that why they held him out? Or is it just that, as Pollard let slip over the summer, he's a Pu$$y?

Mood

Apparently Bird thinks Artest is Better than Last year

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/seaso...ew_artest.html

"Ronnie's a better player now than he was any time during the season last year," said team President Larry Bird. "To me, he looks more explosive. He's shooting the ball better and he's moving better. I thought he was in the top 12-to-15 players in the league, anyway. I think he's a better player now.

"Ronnie knows what's ahead of him. We've got some key people out and he's going to have to raise the level of his game – not only Ronnie but the other players, also."

Carlisle trusts Artest to understand the situation, and isn't about to suggest he dial down his aggressiveness.

"Ron's one of those unusual players that's so well-conditioned and so strong-willed that to even venture into a conversation about being less aggressive, he'd look at you cross-eyed, like you had three heads," Carlisle said. "I've just got a lot of faith, obviously, in his ability, but also his knowledge of the game and knowledge of opponents. He's going to do the right things out there. I don't have any doubt about that."

I think those are fair statements
    [edit=279=1099542232][/edit]

More Artest vs. Bender.

From the Star:
    "Jonathan Bender, who played 16 effective minutes in a surprising appearance at Cleveland, is questionable tonight. The condition of his sore right knee will be evaluated today. . . . Ron Artest, who was nearly scratched from Wednesday's game, said Thursday he felt only minor soreness in his right knee and expects to play tonight."

I'm not ready to jump on the Bender-wagon yet, but the guy did look like his body is finally rounding into NBA-shape and his eyes didn't telegraph a fear of what was happening around him. He looked focused and ready to play.

I've still not seen enough consistency in his jump shot to think anyone is going to follow him outside to guard him on the perimeter. He seems kind of wasted when he's out there to me.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the difference is that Artest assumes that he will always play, unless a doctor at game time tells him otherwise.

Bender, on the other hand, always assumes he will sit, unless a doctor at game time tells him otherwise.

Mood

Sorry 1 game iand 16 mins aren't gonna convince me he is in any shape to endure a full season without being injured a majority of it .

You can't even compare Bender against Artest ..that's like comparing a Apple to a Orange , when you need to be comparing a Apple to a Apple and a Orange to a Orange.

Perhaps I should said Lemon
    [edit=279=1099678488][/edit]

Mood

Also according to the pregame

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_041104.html

Bender wasn't expected to play in the early stages of the regular season. After the Friday morning shootaround, he was ruled out of both tonight's game and Saturday night's home opener against Chicago.

So I wouldn't get to happy

Jerm

I know it's still early in the season but, I'm officially throwing in the towel on Bender.

With so many injuries we really needed him to come through for us and bring a bit of offense.

Who will play the most games this year among these 3 players:

1) Grant Hill
    2) Alonzo Mourning
    3) Jonathan Bender

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

my predicitons on bender this year.
    he will have a long streak of games where he he does play- maybe 7-8. in those games he will look good and help a good deal about 75% of the time.
    then, the knees will swell up again. putting him out for about 8-10 games where he will return for about 4-6 games and then sit out again for either the same reason or perhaps something else. anyway, i doubt he plays more than 45 games this year.

I know it goes completely against conventional wisdom, but I'm not sure its such a good idea for everybody to bulk up.

JB wasn't injured at all for two of his first three years and then he started getting injured all the time.

Its common knowledge in that in all sports the rate of injuries has been climbing as players get stronger and faster.

Some guys get stronger but more injury prone, while other guys (Reggie) are still sticks but are never injured (well. ok, Reggie has been injured a couple of times, but its more of a fluke thing).

Still JB apparently will work best as a SF/PF and to play there he needs the bulk. What can you do?

Mood

Technically, Bender broke his wrist during his first preseason with the team....

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Technically, Bender broke his wrist during his first preseason with the team....
    I may have worded that wrong. I believe years 2 and 3 were injury free. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like the knee injuries started in year 4. Again someone will have ot assist my memory there