Thread: OT - Need some (multiple) computer advice.

Default OT - Need some (multiple) computer advice.

I've always been a computer person. Other than the laptop I just bought, I've never had a name-brand computer, preferring to build my own. I have also, over the course of time, accumulated several "strays" that people were throwing out. I've stripped 'em for parts, rebuilt them to try different things, etc. Those generally end up getting given away. I have one of our extra bedrooms loaded with old junk that other people have gotten rid of.

Now, though, I'm tired of all this crap in my house. I have my desktop PC how I want it, and my laptop how I want it, and enough parts for one other PC (just in case). What I want right now, though, is a low-power, low-heat, low-noise, low-cost, low-footprint box that can act as a print / file server.

Any ideas? Anybody else have one of these already? How'd you do it?
    [edit=39=1099782534][/edit]
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: OT - Need some (multiple) computer advice.

I just bought a Shuttle barebones small form factor and love it. It's a little noiser than I'd like, but it's one of the older models and I think some of the newer ones are quieter.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Yeah, my main desktop PC is a shuttle. I love it.

For a file/print server, though, I was thinking something cheaper.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

consider using an old laptop - there's small form factor and low power (and relatively low cost) for you.

i actually have an old 486 thinkpad that i plan to use for just that purpose - the screen is puny and the battery is shot, but i won't need those for a server.

you could probably get an old laptop quite cheap, and if not, well maybe it's time to retire your current laptop and treat yourself to a new one

geekman

[url]http://www.mini-itx.com/[url]

I haven't used these, but they look pretty cool. I was thinking about using this one in a project:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p1601