Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PD's Biggest Loser 2012

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: PD's Biggest Loser 2012

I had my check in with Target earlier this evening, and I lost another 3 lbs so I'm down to 309 lbs.

Mood

I just weighed myself and I am even at 0 pounds lost or gained this week. Considering starting a new job recently and eating out at lunch most days that I work zero was a releif to me. I just need to back to healthy eating again and try to get on the treadmill, but I walk so much at work my knees and ankles are killing me by the time I get done. I did get some gel insoles and it has been a little better. Maybe next week will be better since I only work 3 days, sucks pay wise though.

Mood

Just thought I'd give an update. My weight is down to 300 lbs even, so 35 lbs lost since January 1st. Still losing too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Gonna start working out tomorrow. Doing weights 3x/wk week and running 3x/week.

I don't have much weight to lose (10-15lbs), but I've got a pot belly that I need to get rid of. Lots of running and core workouts (back and abs).

My wife and I are signing up for a lot of 5k races and we have already signed up for a Half Marathon on Thanksgiving day. Gonna start working up to that, cause I mainly do 3 miles and that's it. Half Marathon will be a huge challenge.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

My update has me losing 31 pounds total so far I did 24.6 my first month in the VA program then stunk it up the second month only losing 1 pound. This last month I did a little better dropping 7 pounds. My goal for June is set at 10 pounds and I am starting off again walking on Tues and Thur mornings with a friend, along with the endless walking that goes on at my new job. I have just started taking a supplement called Rasperry Ketones. It was recommended on the Dr. Oz show. I gotta get back on my calorie count though. Hopefully with summer here now I will drop some additional weight between helping my daughters baseball team, doing yard work and working in the garage building engines.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I recommend everyone look at bodyrecomposition.com to really learn everything before dipping into obsessive and/or non-progressive territory... Just a common sense approach at a very complex situation.

Haven't even seen this thread, but have went down from roughly 22% body fat to 14% body fat so far since January, and that has happened even with a standstill because of my rigid nature when it comes to accomplishing goals...

Mood

I am definitely checking that website. Anything to help kick start the process would be great.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So it was about 4-6 weeks ago(dont remember the exact date) I stepped on the scale for the first time since about 8th grade. I though I would be around 200 im 6'1 not even close almost 230. I was really puzzled to why I though I was eating right but boy was I wrong. I looked at what was in my food for the first time. I had a philly cheese steak that wal-mart sales and I was shocked the thing had almost 1000 calories and I would eat 2 per serving . So since that day I have looked at everything that is in my food and incredibly I actually like the healthy food better than the greasy garbage I was eating and the smaller portions of good food fuel me better. I normally eat oatmeal with about 100 calories for breakfast and that keeps me full until dinner which is incredible(some times I eat a 230 calorie salad and more if I plan on a big workout) I use to be hunger a few hrs after eating when I ate the unhealthy stuff for breakfast like Cereal or a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds. I normally eat a Turkey Burger or grilled Chicken for dinner normally under 200 calories with some greens and Yogurt again I feel full and I didnt when I use to eat almost 2000 calories a meal. I cant tell you how much better I feel much more alert and can focus so much better and am never hungry. I have also started running again I use to tire after a 1/2 mile(so embarrassing). Last night I did 11 miles and felt so good afterwards felt like 8th grade Soccer practice where we would run a few miles but I actually loved it because it made me feel good afterwards again before 4 weeks ago my body just couldn't do it and struggled to do anything.

The biggest thing is my seizures are in check big reason I quit sports was my sezuires were really bad. Now I can overheat and run and not worry about having a seizure. I was considering brain surgry last year but after this period I dont think I need it because they have calmed down and I can play sports again.

Another big thing is now I am down to 185 and now I dont have nagging injures when I play hoops. I have a bad knee and it pops out of place a lot but since I dropped down to under 200 I really dont have a issue with it. My knee use to ache from running on the treadmill and I believe it was due to the 35lbs of extra weight. I think this was Baron Davis's issue with the Clippers when you are out of shape it is so easy to get nagging injures and he would miss a month most seasons due to a sore knee and I now understand why.

My goal is to get under 170 and then start toning with lifting weights and put on about 10lbs of muscle. I really cant believe how much just eating the right things and running 1-3 miles a day will do for you. I feel so much better I am glad I found out about nutrition before I got to a stage where it was almost to late. I really feel this has changed my life and I have pretty strong will power I have only ate 2 pieces of pizza in the last 4 weeks and that was really the only unhealthy thing I have ate. But my body is telling me too eat right it wants to be fueld so I really dont think I will ever go back to having 2000 calorie meals unless I become Micheal Phelps and burn 20,000 calories a day

I also am shocked at the difference in food types. The brown turkey burgers are 240 calories per 4oz and higher in fat. While white turkey burgers are 140 calories per 4oz. I never thought 4oz would fill me but it really does. Right now I am only eating 300-800 calories a day and I am full all the time. I guess junk food just isn't very filling??

Only things I drink is water and Mango Peach V8 juice(and Milk if I make a Yogurt smoothies Yogurt is my new favorite food way better than brownies and cookies taste wise and is so good for you and I had never ate it before 4 weeks ago . I also drink some Diet Mt Dew some times but for the most part a glass of v8 and water.

I am still in aw of how such a small change can improve my quality of life by so much. I dont think I will ever get down to a 5:50 mile again like I could run in middle school but hopefully in a few months I can run a 7 min mile.

I am excited to check my body fat have a visit scheduled with my seizure doctor and they normally do that my BMI was so high last time(I think high 20s my goal is to get under 10)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-26-2012 at 01:21 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I had also said that i would do the challenge but due to traveling around for work a lot i ended up in a ditch - my initial weigh in was 211lb here but up till last week it had climbed to 216lb - which is when I decided to put an end to this and have gone on the keto diet - so far down 11lbs to 205lb in about 12 days - pretty sure lost quite a bit of water weight initially but I'm loving the whole not feeling like bloated 24/7 anymore! This is definitely more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet...going to reach 30 soon and have came to a clear sense that I gotta start taking care of my body as if it was my precious car or some other valuable object...only better!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had also said that i would do the challenge but due to traveling around for work a lot i ended up in a ditch - my initial weigh in was 211lb here but up till last week it had climbed to 216lb - which is when I decided to put an end to this and have gone on the keto diet - so far down 11lbs to 205lb in about 12 days - pretty sure lost quite a bit of water weight initially but I'm loving the whole not feeling like bloated 24/7 anymore! This is definitely more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet...going to reach 30 soon and have came to a clear sense that I gotta start taking care of my body as if it was my precious car or some other valuable object...only better!

Budapest is the best place to get in shape every time I go I walk at least 10 miles a day one of the reasons it's my favorite city in the world can walk and yellow trolley and Bus anywhere.

Just curious do you know the bar right next too the Oprah house on the Buda side of Margret Bridge? As I kid I would be in there all the time was my favorite place in the city lol they had the best peach juice. Then I would have to walk home to My Gmas house which is up in the hills where the 91 &191 bus goes about a 1/2 mile from gil bubba's tomb(sp?). I think where my Gmas house was is the best place to get a great workout in just so many hills and roads I normally got lost lol.

I got so many great memories of that city hope to live their one day just impossible to find a teacher to teach me Hungarian unless I go their to study it.

Mood

I am really ticked off at myself right now. I was down to 328, I weighed myself yesterday and was back up to 332. I hired me a food Nazi in my oldest daughter. She was on me as soon as I got home. I fixed my dinner and she made sure I got some veggies and a smart one meal. After that she made some popcorn for their movie, but she reminded me that I could have none. Hopefully her "tough love" will make a difference soon and I can get to work losing weight again. I go back to see the VA doctor next month and I agreed to drop 10 pounds. Hopefully I can turn this thing around and make it to that 318 goal weight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Just curious do you know the bar right next too the Oprah house on the Buda side of Margret Bridge? As I kid I would be in there all the time was my favorite place in the city lol they had the best peach juice. Then I would have to walk home to My Gmas house which is up in the hills where the 91 &191 bus goes about a 1/2 mile from gil bubba's tomb(sp?). I think where my Gmas house was is the best place to get a great workout in just so many hills and roads I normally got lost lol.
    Nope I don't think I know the Opera house which you speak of by Buda side of Margit Bridge. I'm not a bar person so I don't really know much bars here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I am really ticked off at myself right now. I was down to 328, I weighed myself yesterday and was back up to 332. I hired me a food Nazi in my oldest daughter. She was on me as soon as I got home. I fixed my dinner and she made sure I got some veggies and a smart one meal. After that she made some popcorn for their movie, but she reminded me that I could have none. Hopefully her "tough love" will make a difference soon and I can get to work losing weight again. I go back to see the VA doctor next month and I agreed to drop 10 pounds. Hopefully I can turn this thing around and make it to that 318 goal weight.
    You're weight is very similar to mine when I started Target Metabolism. I don't know if that means your metabolism is the same as mine, but it could be that our numbers would be pretty similar. If you'd like to know I can share my initial Target numbers to give you a calorie goal to shoot for. Target helps a TON but remember that you have to be very strict about counting and keeping a journal of your calories. I would suggest using MyFitnessPal or Lose It! sites to help track cals. I prefer Lose It! but there are more that use MyFitnessPal. Both have free smart phone apps with bar code scanners that you can use your camera to scan the code and track calories. Let me know I'll tell ya whatever you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Question:

Where can I get Chia seeds? GNC?
    Not sure if anyone responded to this but if you haven't gotten them yet you can get them at most whole food stores. Trader Joes I know have them.

The best way I can describe the seeds is that they are similar to tomato seeds when they are in a smoothy or juice drink. They help a tad with filling you up too and they have a similar fiber content IMO to lentils.

Even though I haven't been apart of this I sort of took a life style change 3 months ago and for the last 2 weeks I took it up a notch.

So I started out around 200 lbs and now I am down to around 187. A 3 day juice fast took me from 192 to 185 but I am maintaing the loss of weight whether its water weight or not I don't care. The fast helped me shrink my stomach and stopped the hunger pains of calorie restrictive diet that incorporates working out.

From the mental side the documentaries on Netflix really give me some motivation even if I don't agree with some of the approaches to weight loss. Food Inc was one that just made me want to eat more organic food and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead was what got me thinking/researching about juicing so instead of a bowl of ceral now I normally juice a pound of carrots and drink it in the morn. (tip cool the juice down before drinking it and it taste better especially if you add greens).

Another fun fact I learned was that Kale is higher in Calcuim than milk. Of course the only way I'll eat the stuff is if I juice it but its easy to add to my carrot juice in the morning.

Also my wife pushed the wheat germ and Quinoa for plant sources of protien with lower carbs. I use the wheat germs for smoothies (I am a desert guy) and the Quinoa as a subsitute for brown or white rice.

My target weight right now is to get to around 170 lb's and maintain it.

Mood

That would be great. I am in a weight loss program right now with the VA hospital. The first month I did good with writing everything and dropped 24 pounds that month. The next month I still wrote everything down but I ended up having to eat out a few times a week and I only dropped a pound. The third month I dropped 8 pounds and didn't write anything down. This past month I gained 4 pounds and didn't write anything down. Exercise is difficult because at my job I am walking, climbing and carrying stuff that is sometimes heavy. I did start my job just a few moinths ago and have some stress trying to learn the systems and managerial duties as well. I have some joint problems and it is hard to work out right now. I think me writing down what I eat helps out a lot. Anything you could send would be great. I also have my daughter who has become the "food police" and she gets on my lately if I have too much to eat or get a midnight snack. I will look up the Target Metabolism too because it sounds interesting to me. Thanks a lot again and hopefully I can shed some of this weight.

Mood

I started weight training early in the summer. I started at 275 and lost 8 pounds before I gained 6 in muscle weight. Biggest improvement was going from 380 to 705 pounds on leg press.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steagles; 07-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

I went to the doctor Wednesday and found out that I have gained 3 pounds since my pneumonia kicked in. Hopefully it will keep getting better. It has been a total of five weeks now. Hopefully by the time summer ends I can slowly work my way back on the treadmill slowly and maybe even start lifting weights again little by little. I still have a long, long way to go and I know it will take some time.

down to 200lbs - 16lbs overall in the first 4 weeks...not bad and the momentum is going well...

Mood

Down to 327.6 lbs. I think it is because I have been working more and walking all around the store for 4-10 hours a day can burn off some energy. Even though I have been eating pretty badly.

Mood

As of this week I have finished my 6 month program with Target Metabolism. The total damage is as follows.

Weight is 291, so that's 44 lbs lost since January 1st and 30 of it lost after starting Target.

My lean mass went up from 161 lbs to 171 lbs. Fat lbs went from 174lbs to 119 lbs. so that's 55lbs of pure fat loss in the 6 months I was on Target. I'm pretty stoked about it. My 4X shirts are hangin off of me I'm gonna have to buy new.

Mood

I am down to 325 now, down 2 more pounds. I have been eating a little better but I attribute it more to working more hours.

Mood

Well guys, I am expecting a pretty good weight drop in the next few days. I have a wisdom tooth needing to come out and it just broke in half. I guess it is soft foods until my dentist appointment at the VA September 24th. After that I figure another 2 days to a week to get back to normal.

I viewed this thread sometime ago, but never really posted. Guess I liked being in the closet about my weight.

I had been right around 315 pounds through my late 20's, but after having some complications from surgery which took a summer of physical activity away from me I ballooned up to about 350. I got motivated and joined a gym in March. On Fathers day I weighed 320 and ran/walked a 3.5-mile trail run in 48 minutes. This summer (I am a Grad Student), since I couldn't find work anyways, I made my health a top priority. I gave up soda and sweets (still have an occasional Dr. Pepper 10, coke zero, or even a Pepsi Next although I drink mostly water), for a month I tracked my calories using the "My fitness pal app”. For that month I ate 2100 calories (app estimated 2 #’s a week weight lost).

Since March I lift weights 3 times a week. During the summer I did 40 minutes cardio(mostly elliptical with some jogging) daily with two a days on the days I didn't lift. I also joined a swim club where I got hooked on shooting baskets again(hadn't played in 5-6 years prior). This summer I also started shooting baskets, dribbling, and jogging. I found simply shooting baskets and jogging to get the ball is actually a great cardio workout. While utilizing that strick schedule I lost over 20 pounds in June. In the beginning of July I broke under the 300# mark. Currently I weigh just under 270 and last Saturday completed the Fort for Fitness 4 mile run in 46:41(still walked some) which is better than 5 MPH.

Today after jogging a mile and shooting baskets for 20 minutes I was approached by some 20 somethings about playing a 2 on 2 game. I told them I would try, but I was already drenched in sweat and had my heart rate elevated for over 40 minutes(I wear a motoactive with chest strap heart rate monitor to track my calories ect.(it even has a basketball setting). Anyways we lost 15-14, but I didn't embarras myself. This was the first time in at least 5 years that I played in a competitive game in basketball.

While I am obviously proud of myself, I decided to post here to share my story and thank the people who started this thread because even though I never posted in this thread you guys were a source of motivation.
    I also want to share what works for me. Since School started backup a rarely do 2 a days and they were only really necessary because I wanted to loose it fast. The majority of my cardio has been done on an elliptical trainer, but I always try to elevate my heart rate 40 minutes in any cardio workout (once I worked up to it) since I read it is the optimal amount for fat loss. I lift every other day M-W-F and try to only do low impact on Friday and Saturday. I use my monitor and time my reps so my heart rate never drops below 120 while doing about a 40 minute circuit of 3 sets 10-12 reps( lat pulldown, Triceps push down, seated row, bench 2 sets 2 different ways on the machine, preacher curls, leg curls, and leg press 2 sets feet one inch and shoulder as well 2 sets calves on same machine.) This is my routine and it has worked very well for me,

I weigh less than when I graduated high-school (I'm 6'2 and will always be a big guy) and have lost over 80 pounds in sixth months. I don't “diet”. I simply don't drink my calories and don't eat the things that everyone knows aren't good for them. I eat whole grain pasta and bread, 2% cheese, 1% milk, avoid flour tortillas, and limit the hamburgers. I eat French fries no more than once in a week(rarely that), however if I am hungry I eat. That one-month of calorie counting also made me very knowledgeable about how many calories are in food and I try to limit them where I can. While I don't journal calories I still us my fitness pal to make healthy choices.

The biggest tips I can give are; First, low impact exercises are your friend. Limiting high impact exercise keeps you from missing workouts from injuries.

Second, Know what you eat. Counting calories works (love my fitness pal) but at the very least you need to be educated on what you eat. Finally seek advice either through research or a consultation with a trainer. I only met a trainer once but he provided me with a routine that I still follow. Ultimately I worked hard, didn’t cut corners and did nothing mysterious. I am also stronger than I have ever been. If you cut your calories to much you are going to loose muscle as well as fat.

Ok this is long enough. Playing competitive basketball for the first time in a long time reminded me of this thread and I decided to contribute. Hopefully someone finds this of value.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 10-05-2012 at 02:29 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Mood

As the temps fall, I fear my weight is going to go back up. It hasn't helped that I recently have given up smoking...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...