Thread: Red Auerbach: "Bird was like I was – win every game and let the chips fall where they may."

Threaded View

Default Red Auerbach: "Bird was like I was – win every game and let the chips fall where they may."

Found this. Tanking is not really cool and will never be.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2642190

ESPN.com: What other factors affect a team's ability to win at playoff time?

Auerbach: Like I always said, everything can happen in the playoffs.

I'll give you an example. Suppose you're coming down to the wire and you got a chance the last two weeks – you're fighting for the best record. Then all of a sudden you have your best player, or your two best players are questionable with injuries.

You gotta make a decision. Should I bench these two guys and finish second, or should I go all out to get a one-game home-court advantage?

That situation could very easily arise. Bill Russell could have some problems with his knees and I could have played him 10 minutes a game over the last two weeks or I could rest him for four or five games, and so on.

But we played him his regular 45 minutes. The thing we used to go by was every game is important and don't try to be cute and play the angles. Play every game, win every game, let the chips fall where they may.

I remember people used to tell me years ago, when Bird was here, wouldn't it be better if you lost some of these games and then you would play so and so instead of so and so. I never bought that. I never bought that theory. Bird was like I was – win every game and let the chips fall where they may.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to edc For This Useful Post: