Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

we didn't get in until late because our game against Cleveland went into overtime. Plus it was a back and back.

Are you forgetting the Pistons played in Boston the night b4, and got into weather problems coming home so they didn't get any more rest than the Pacers?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post

Why did Roy only get 7 shots?

Thats a very valid question. Maybe Vogel has answer for it. What position players job, moreso than others, is it to get the ball to Hibbert?

Another thing was that Hibbert couldn't hold position when Wallace guarding him at times. This has always been a major weakness of Hibbert... lack of strength.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Are you forgetting the Pistons played in Boston the night b4, and got into weather problems coming home so they didn't get any more rest than the Pacers?
    It just means that they had their own problems, but so did we and it appeared to bother us more for whatever reason.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It just means that they had their own problems, but so did we and it appeared to bother us more for whatever reason.
    I think the "smash mouth thing" is running guys into the ground making hard for them to recover quick in a back to back, Tyler is Tyler but his shots is not falling(tired legs?) Roy also looked tired and softer, Dwest who just started playing again few weeks ago played 39minutes againts the Cavs, I know Frank is telling him to post up more and play "smash mouth" but I still think he needs to call more pick and roll plays for him and playing him at center is not helping much either.

I agree with Kstat and BillS - ball movement is far and away our biggest problem right now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GizzyStardust For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think the "smash mouth thing" is running guys into the ground making hard for them to recover quick in a back to back, Tyler is Tyler but his shots is not falling(tired legs?) Roy also looked tired and softer, Dwest who just started playing again few weeks ago played 39minutes againts the Cavs, I know Frank is telling him to post up more and play "smash mouth" but I still think he needs to call more pick and roll plays for him and playing him at center is not helping much either.

Hopefully, whenever Foster can finally be healthy enough to play, DWest won't have to play C, and can have more rest. I just don't feel comfortable enough counting on Foster to be healthy this season. I feel the Pacers need another C to b/u Hibbert. What happens if Hibbert gets injured? You can kiss the season off with Foster( when healthy), DWest, Amundson, and Pendergraph trying to hold the fort down. It's the one position the Pacers can ill afford to lose their starter w/o a valid healthy b/u player. It's not like the Pacers don't have the room nor cap.

Banned

Hopefully, whenever Foster can finally be healthy enough to play, DWest won't have to play C, and can have more rest. I just don't feel comfortable enough counting on Foster to be healthy this season. I feel the Pacers need another C to b/u Hibbert. What happens if Hibbert gets injured? You can kiss the season off with Foster( when healthy), DWest, Amundson, and Pendergraph trying to hold the fort down. It's the one position the Pacers can ill afford to lose their starter w/o a valid healthy b/u player. It's not like the Pacers don't have the room nor cap.
    Yep we need another back up center , if Roy goes down we are done and nope I don't consider West or Tyler centers.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't see it so much as needing a dead-eye shooter. I think we need an offensive creator. DC has gotten a little better and George Hill is adequate, but neither can really make things happen.

Lance can. But it appears to me he is considered "good" when he plays cautious like those other two guys. I think he needs a longer leash, the freedom to make things happen, make some mistakes, and slowly grow into a role that creates offense for a team that otherwise cannot do so.
    I agree that we need some kind of creator. Preferably in the form of a better PG. Though I suppose even a Jamal Crawford type would help.

I don't think we can count on Lance for any sort of immediate help though. He still looks very raw out there.
    Last edited by wintermute; 01-01-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Outside of Hill the Pacers dont have anyone that can initiate any ball movement and with Hill its usually because he beat his man on a drive. DC cant beat his man off a screen so that play is a dud 90% of the time and even if the help defender stays to long he is so small he cant make the pass back to the screener.

It all goes back to not having a good enough PG to run a complete offense.

Mood

Yep we need another back up center , if Roy goes down we are done and nope I don't consider West or Tyler centers.
    We could have three more cheap centers and still be 'done' if Roy goes down.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The reason we lost this game is simple really, we didn't crash the offensive boards nearly as effectively as we had our last three games. When you shoot a poor percentage offensively you need to capitalize on second chance points, and we didn't even give ourselves the chance to do so this game. However as the year progresses I have no doubt that our shots will start falling, which will minimize our reliance on second chance points.

Happy New Year everyone! Hopefully we are due for a great year of Pacer basketball!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We could have three more cheap centers and still be 'done' if Roy goes down.
    I wasn't talking about cheap centers, Okur was out there for free and Dalembert signed for a decent price, Instead we got Foster who is never healthy and Pendegraph with a messed up knee.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't talking about cheap centers, Okur was out there for free and Dalembert signed for a decent price, Instead we got Foster who is never healthy and Pendegraph with a messed up knee.
    Then you mess up your shot to use your cap space to acquire a true impact guy. It would have been shortsighted and silly to spend a bunch of money on a backup center who quite frankly isn't a difference maker. We aren't a championship team in need of big man depth. We are an up and coming team in need of a star. You don't get a star by blowing your cap space and bargaining position on an overpriced backup center.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Then you mess up your shot to use your cap space to acquire a true impact guy. It would have been shortsighted and silly to spend a bunch of money on a backup center who quite frankly isn't a difference maker. We aren't a championship team in need of big man depth. We are an up and coming team in need of a star. You don't get a star by blowing your cap space and bargaining position on an overpriced backup center.
    Blowing cap space? Okur is an expirer and Dalembert is pretty much the same thing other than getting 1.4mil next year in guarantee money if he gets cut.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blowing cap space? Okur is an expirer and Dalembert is pretty much the same thing other than getting 1.4mil next year in guarantee money if he gets cut.
    Wouldnt you rather have that cap room for a possible trade?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

..... so we can't use that cap space until the offseason? Of course that's wrong. So the fact that they're expiring is unimportant. As is the case a lot of years, some team will crash and burn and will be begging a team to take a good but disgruntled player for nothing. Except usually, nobody is in a position to do that because teams blow their money in the offseason on players who aren't worth it.

We have 15 million in cap space and 2 open roster spots. I'm certainly not willing to burn that flexibility for a mediocre backup C.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I actually feel Granger's D and passing have looked better through the first four games. I think he looks more engaged in those areas. Rebounding is also important. He's done okay there. JMO, but that's been my observation. What I still can't stand is him leading the break. That's a recipe for a turnover every time. Find the PG and fill the lane or trail (unless it's an open breakout).
    Yeah, having Granger or Dahntay lead a fast break always gets me scared. Those two will either not look for someone to pass it to or they will wait too long and make a bad pass. There are so many times when Danny draws a double team and doesn't even notice the open guy which makes me kinda mad.

Quote Originally Posted by GizzyStardust View Post
    I agree with Kstat and BillS - ball movement is far and away our biggest problem right now.
    Ball movement and PLAYER movement without the ball.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

24. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    ..... so we can't use that cap space until the offseason? Of course that's wrong. So the fact that they're expiring is unimportant. As is the case a lot of years, some team will crash and burn and will be begging a team to take a good but disgruntled player for nothing. Except usually, nobody is in a position to do that because teams blow their money in the offseason on players who aren't worth it.

We have 15 million in cap space and 2 open roster spots. I'm certainly not willing to burn that flexibility for a mediocre backup C.
    Dalembert cost 7mil leaving the Pacers with cap space still and he is better than a mediocre backup, Okur is also better than backup, he is a "former all star" who could be an starter just in case, now instead we have 3.7mil(Jeff/Pendergraph) seating, not a good decision.

Edit: Pendergraph 700k Foster 3mil.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

How much of that 15 mil would Frensko cost?

If Hibbert gets injured, which I don't want, the Pacers are out of the playoffs and will get a lottery pick. Then what, another 3 year plan?

When one thinks about it, Granger gets injured his replacements are PG and Dahntay. Maybe like UB says the Pacers bench just isn't that deep.

Dalembert cost 7mil leaving the Pacers with cap space still and he is better than a mediocre backup, Okur is also better than backup, he is a "former all star" who could be an starter just in case, now instead

we have 7mil(Jeff/Pendergraph) seating, not a good decision.

How do you come up with 7 mil?
    Foster 3mil
    JP 762,000

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

why are we all worried about Roy going down?

Let's face it, if he is in, we forget to give him the ball, (see last 2 games in which he DID get the ball 1 qtr) and otherwise we ignore him anyway.

Either PG forgets his assignment and gets under Roy's feet on a rebound or it is the one i am not allowed to comment upon because he's the 2nd next coming we have on our team.

Our rotation beyond our starters sucks and of our starters PG still has a lot to learn, nd West is coming back from a major surgery, which normally takes 2 years to fully recover of, if ever.

We have one of the best 7.2 centers in the league, or he has it in him to get there, but we are not playing inside out.

we are running around like headless chickens playing 1 on 1, it wont work.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    +1
    Speaking of Mark Jackson, I just aquired his '88-'89 Fleer rookie card in mint..

Mark Jacksons son plays at Louisville and looks just like him

Banned

How do you come up with 7 mil?
    Foster 3mil
    JP 762,000
    Just edited my post, thanks

Overall I'm pleased with Hibbert so far--If he can give us solid production in 3 games out of 4 the rest of the way, then we are going to have a special season.

Really not concerned about the offense, because I still maintain that our success this season is overwhelmingly dependent upon our ability to sustain a top 5 defense. If we defend the way we did those first 3 games, then we have a shot at being one of the top teams in the conference.... If we don't defend at this level, then we could just as easily miss the playoffs. The swings and the unpredictability of it all makes this season even more exciting for me and I'm sure most of you all feel the same way.

Everyone knew we were probably going to go 3-1 these first 4 games so I'm over last night. The real question is, what do we do in the next 18? My preseason prediction was 5-13... but I'll admit I've been impressed enough with the team overall to not rule out a complete flip of the script, 13-5 happening. (I'm hardly factoring in last night, because we knew the Pistons were desperate to finally get a win and that we were probably due for a loss since we should have lost the Cleveland game).

Edit: In terms of points allowed per 100 possessions, we are currently FIRST in the NBA, Milwaukee is second. And this is really the key issue--can we be an elite defensive team like the Bucks? If so, then we will definitely make the playoffs instead of them.
    Last edited by DonSwanson; 01-01-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Defensive Rating

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DonSwanson For This Useful Post: