Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

  1. #1
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    What, no postgame thread when we lose?

    Come on guys, let's learn to eat our spinach.

    Well, it wasn't fun to watch, but those who've watched this sport long enough know some nights just aren't your night. Win streaks don't usually last very long and teams that haven't won in a while get desperate.

    Jerepko seems to be some kind of super human creature on steroids. At least against us.

    The next game will be instructive. Remember how many times Mark Jackson would say: We're a veteran team and we don't allow a loss to get us too low? (Or something like that).

    Let's see how much better we've gotten by how we react to this loss.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,621

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    I really hope this loss gets the team thinking about how they shouldn't take the lesser teams for granted. We showed that if we would have played the way we played towards the end of the game we could have beat them easily. I actually liked the way we came out to start the game, we had a lot of energy and weren't gonna let them think they could get their first win. Then we brought in the bench and things just seemed to collapse. I never knew Jerebko was capable of such things, he could become their go-to guy. I will admit I got pretty mad during the game, but after cooling down I realize that we can't win every game.... As long as we keep a winning record I'm good I guess.

  4. #3
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    28
    Posts
    385
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    What can you say? Pretty freakin' ugly loss. This is to be expected with a young team, but that is in no way an excuse for 40 minutes of uninspired play. All things considered, however, I expect a win over NJ Monday and a very competitive game Wednesday against the Heat. Growing pains, people. Growing Pains. If you don't see maturation at game 30, be worried. For now, relax...

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member IndySDExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What, no postgame thread when we lose?

    Come on guys, let's learn to eat our spinach.

    Well, it wasn't fun to watch, but those who've watched this sport long enough know some nights just aren't your night. Win streaks don't usually last very long and teams that haven't won in a while get desperate.

    Jerepko seems to be some kind of super human creature on steroids. At least against us.

    The next game will be instructive. Remember how many times Mark Jackson would say: We're a veteran team and we don't allow a loss to get us too low? (Or something like that).

    Let's see how much better we've gotten by how we react to this loss.
    It's a good point. Lets strive for no back to back losses.

    In all honesty, the only way we'll win with our offense as it is is with defense. We had it the first 3 games and we got torched tonight. No defense no win. It does beg the question, when will offense become the focal point of the coaching staff. Vogel said there is too much one on one basketball going on, but we had the same problem under JOB. Is this a team problem or coaching problem or just a give it time problem?

  7. #5
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,983

    Talking Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What, no postgame thread when we lose?

    Come on guys, let's learn to eat our spinach.

    Well, it wasn't fun to watch, but those who've watched this sport long enough know some nights just aren't your night. Win streaks don't usually last very long and teams that haven't won in a while get desperate.

    Jerepko seems to be some kind of super human creature on steroids. At least against us.

    The next game will be instructive. Remember how many times Mark Jackson would say: We're a veteran team and we don't allow a loss to get us too low? (Or something like that).

    Let's see how much better we've gotten by how we react to this loss.


    +1
    Speaking of Mark Jackson, I just aquired his '88-'89 Fleer rookie card in mint..

    Last edited by Kemo; 01-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,754

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What, no postgame thread when we lose?

    New year's eve.

    There will be plenty of postgame threads with future losses.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    If Granger is going to shoot 30% from the field all season long we won't get too far.

  12. #8
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,769

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    I missed the game tonight. Why did Roy only get 7 shots?

  13. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Jerepko seems to be some kind of super human creature on steroids. At least against us.
    I still don't quite get this line of thinking.

    Jonas is a good player, and he spent 18 straight months since his last real NBA action working his *** off trying to improve his range, which seems to have produced results.

    That said, Jonas did not make one contested shot all game long. He never attempted one.

    His performance tonight was less about him making great plays and more about him running David West into the ground. He didn't suddenly get stronger since last week. West simply could not deal with his constant motion off the ball. and he seemed unwilling to step out on the perimeter and give up the drive. Jonas had time to set his feet and measure on practically every shot.

    It might be best for Vogel to limit West's minutes on the 2nd game of back-to-backs, if his knees are really bothering him this much on zero rest.

    Also, Tyler is playing too fast right now. He had similar opportunities all game, but he was rushing his shots when he didn't have to, and plowing into guys that were already set defensively. I realize he's the only guy on Indiana's 2nd unit that can effectively create his own offense, but his one real weakness in the NBA seems to be that he still hasn't learned to slow himself down and let the game come to him. He makes some routine plays look very difficult.
    Last edited by Kstat; 01-01-2012 at 02:30 AM.

  14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't quite get this line of thinking.

    Jonas is a good player, and he spent 18 straight months since his last real NBA action working his *** off trying to improve his range, which seems to have produced results.

    That said, Jonas did not make one contested shot all game long. He never attempted one.

    His performance tonight was less about him making great plays and more about him running David West into the ground. He didn't suddenly get stronger since last week. West simply could not deal with his constant motion off the ball. and he seemed unwilling to step out on the perimeter and give up the drive. Jonas had time to set his feet and measure on practically every shot.

    It might be best for Vogel to limit West's minutes on the 2nd game of back-to-backs, if his knees are really bothering him this much on zero rest.

    Also, Tyler is playing too fast right now. He had similar opportunities all game, but he was rushing his shots when he didn't have to, and plowing into guys that were already set defensively. I realize he's the only guy on Indiana's 2nd unit that can effectively create his own offense, but his one real weakness in the NBA seems to be that he still hasn't learned to slow himself down and let the game come to him. He makes some routine plays look very difficult.
    Seems like Detroit always drafts good players in the 2nd rd. Starting with Tom Van Arsdale out of Indy and all the way up to today. Seems like every few years the Pistons find a steal in the 2nd rd. Dennis Rodman was a gem in the 2nd round back in the 80s more recently. Okur and Amir Johnson and most recently Jonas Jerebko they have been a very good team at finding good guys in rd 2. Wonder when Singler will come over he is playing good for Madrid.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    This is why I posted in the game thread:

    vnzla81
    Member
    *
    By the way not trying to be a "hater" here but I expected West to have a horrible game in a back to back, they need to find a way to get him fresh or don't play him at all(NY is going to do it with Amare) at least he has the knee excuse unlike Danny Granger who is sucking again.

    Hill,DC and Tyler were the only ones today that kept us in the game.

  18. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    His performance tonight was less about him making great plays and more about him running David West into the ground. He didn't suddenly get stronger since last week. West simply could not deal with his constant motion off the ball. and he seemed unwilling to step out on the perimeter and give up the drive. Jonas had time to set his feet and measure on practically every shot.

    It might be best for Vogel to limit West's minutes on the 2nd game of back-to-backs, if his knees are really bothering him this much on zero rest.
    This, yep they need to find a way to make it work in a back to back.

  19. #13

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This, yep they need to find a way to make it work in a back to back.
    I could be completely off base here, because I didn't watch Friday's game against the Cavaliers a 2nd time and sometimes being at the game I don't pick up on everything because of distractions. But I remember thinking sometime around the fourth after we had built a double digit lead and had the 2nd team in who seemed to lose the lead that it seemed like Frank probably had hoped to roll through with those guys. Cavs cut it close and forced Franks hand and eventually had to go to overtime with the starters. Flight shenanigans ensued and it was an ugly back to back situation. Not making excuses here. Our supposedly super deep team needs to be able to hold onto that lead against a Cavaliers team. Might help West a bit in these back to backs to get Foster back.

  20. #14
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Defense had been good through three games, but it failed us last night. Detroit was getting whatever it wanted at will - in the paint or shot after uncontested perimeter shot. The O hasn't been there at all, but D has to be foundation you build upon. Hence the loss in Motown. No energy = no D.

    The only big picture concern I have for us at this early stage is the shooting issue. Not just the whole when are we going to start making some shots. But also, equally important, we honestly could benefit from a true, dead-eye jump shooter. That way, when most everyone else is off, there's someone who can hit an occasional shot...especially the open ones. Right now I've become much more focused on this issue than the backup 5 situation, despite no Foster or Pendergraph yet.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  21. #15
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Would also like to add that's two solid offensive games in a row from DC. 20 assists over last two plus some 3s. Hill & Tyler again good off the bench (despite Tyler's continued shooting slump).RH, DG, PG, DW were more or less out to lunch offensively in this one.

    We've been talking about this great bench, but it's not a complete second unit. In fact, it's not a deep bench at all. It's basically Hill & Hansbrough. We're a 7 man team, and I don't think that changes much if the two injured bigs get back, at least not in terms of offensive production. With the compacted schedule, it could turn into a major disadvantage for us.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  22. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I missed the game tonight. Why did Roy only get 7 shots?
    The ball movement was terrible. Danny Granger and David West spent the entire night trying to force mismatches they didn't have. It trickled down to the bench when guys like Amundson and Dahntay Jones started jacking up bad shots.

    Whether that falls on the players or the coach, I have no idea. It could have been part of the gameplan.

  23. #17
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only big picture concern I have for us at this early stage is the shooting issue. Not just the whole when are we going to start making some shots. But also, equally important, we honestly could benefit from a true, dead-eye jump shooter. That way, when most everyone else is off, there's someone who can hit an occasional shot...especially the open ones. Right now I've become much more focused on this issue than the backup 5 situation, despite no Foster or Pendergraph yet.
    I don't see it so much as needing a dead-eye shooter. I think we need an offensive creator. DC has gotten a little better and George Hill is adequate, but neither can really make things happen.

    Lance can. But it appears to me he is considered "good" when he plays cautious like those other two guys. I think he needs a longer leash, the freedom to make things happen, make some mistakes, and slowly grow into a role that creates offense for a team that otherwise cannot do so.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  25. #18

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Granger is going to shoot 30% from the field all season long we won't get too far.
    And only occasionally play defense. And turn the ball over. And practice his best Carlos Boozer imitations. And really only step up in the last two minutes.

    Granger's play drives me crazy. Theoretically, he should be more invested on defense this year because he has less pressure on offense but, no. His effort is half-there at best. This is why people wanted to trade him last year. This is why I think they should still try to trade him, provided they can get a good deal in return of course.

    As I've said several times, Granger is a clutch player. But he is not a particularly smart player, nor is he really playing up to the value of his contract.

  26. #19
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,944

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    I actually feel Granger's D and passing have looked better through the first four games. I think he looks more engaged in those areas. Rebounding is also important. He's done okay there. JMO, but that's been my observation. What I still can't stand is him leading the break. That's a recipe for a turnover every time. Find the PG and fill the lane or trail (unless it's an open breakout).
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  27. #20

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually feel Granger's D and passing have looked better through the first four games. I think he looks more engaged in those areas. Rebounding is also important. He's done okay there. JMO, but that's been my observation. What I still can't stand is him leading the break. That's a recipe for a turnover every time. Find the PG and fill the lane or trail (unless it's an open breakout).
    He just doesn't seem to give that full game effort to me, ever. And he's not a smart basketball player. Nice guy. Clutch as hell. Great secondary option on a lot of teams...I just think the Pacers should look to trade him while his value's still high, if they get reasonable compensation. Not saying they would. I just wouldn't shed any tears if he was parlayed into, say, the kind of PG the Pacers really need.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  29. #21
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    The biggest difference between the two teams was that Detroit set up easier shots by moving without the ball (and then made them when they got them), while the Pacers all too often stood around waiting for the ball handler to find THEM instead of creating a passing lane - and, when they had an open shot, they bricked it.

    No one can say the Pacers are settling for outside jumpers or not getting into the paint - look at the FTs (which was the only thing that kept us within shouting distance). Trouble is that teams are happy to foul us down low all night because they know we couldn't hit the ground from a porch roof from anywhere outside 10 feet.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  30. #22
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    IMO we do not feed to post, or even the high post like we should. Roy has been very solid, but I feel a lot of his scoring has been on "cleanup" duty, not helping establish any type of post/ inside-out offense. In fact, other then attempting more P&R's (somethig I have not seen us do very affectively yet - at least on a regular basis), let me ask: What is our offense philosophy? What identity are we trying to establish on that side of the ball?
    (PS: Don't give me "Smashmouth", that's an overall attitude, not a style)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  31. #23
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What, no postgame thread when we lose?

    Come on guys, let's learn to eat our spinach.

    Well, it wasn't fun to watch, but those who've watched this sport long enough know some nights just aren't your night. Win streaks don't usually last very long and teams that haven't won in a while get desperate.

    Jerepko seems to be some kind of super human creature on steroids. At least against us.

    The next game will be instructive. Remember how many times Mark Jackson would say: We're a veteran team and we don't allow a loss to get us too low? (Or something like that).

    Let's see how much better we've gotten by how we react to this loss.
    I expected us to lose. One we had just played Detroit and it's very hard in the NBA to beat a team you have just beaten. We were playing at their place, and we didn't get in until late because our game against Cleveland went into overtime. Plus it was a back and back.

    Looking at how the Pacers play it seems they are doing what they did last year. Most of the players being hot or cold at the same time. So far most have been cold but when they get hot they will hit 21-22 like they did last year. Hopefully they get hot soon.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  33. #24

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Might help West a bit in these back to backs to get Foster back.
    Yeah, it would be nice if Foster was earning his 3 mil gift from Bird. You can say what you want about Dahntay and his near 3 mil salary, but he's available to play every game. Personally, I'm tired of seeing Sir Foster in a suit, and not doing the job he's being paid to do.

    Fresnko didn't sign a contract as reported he had. There is a reb'r and hardnose player to back up Hibbert who will cost less than 3 mil.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame Thread Pacers-Pistons

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fresnko didn't sign a contract as reported he had. There is a reb'r and hardnose player to back up Hibbert who will cost less than 3 mil.
    This.
    Young, long, defensive, cheap.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Detroit wants the Pacers
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:20 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM
  4. Keeping pace with the Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
  5. 5/30/2004 ECF Playoff Game Thread: Pistons at Pacers (Game 5)
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •