Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's wrong with our offense?

Default Re: What's wrong with our offense?

of course would not be a major improvement, but i would definitely play AJ instead of Lance... not only better play maker, but he can hit jumpers, and we need that badly right now...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threein73 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by threein73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    of course would not be a major improvement, but i would definitely play AJ instead of Lance... not only better play maker, but he can hit jumpers, and we need that badly right now...
    Lance has taken five total shots this year.

AJ doesn't even shoot 40% for his career. I have no clue how you are trying to justify that.

Hill isn't a creator. He's a shot maker. When Lance and Hill are in, Hill should be playing off ball. Lance is a better creator and passer. Lance's shot will start to fall when he gets more playing time.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am on board of the rust and conditioning. I think after this coming week we will get a better idea on the offense.

But I will say that I was not impressed with the offense at all last year. With Vogel and with JOB it was predictable.

If Monroe cannot stop Roy, go to him until they figure how to stop them. Then let the holes and open jumpers come.

I do like the low-posting of West, Granger, and even Tyler. But I do think that we have to allow them a little more time before we flip out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Or the other way around. Hard to chalk up an assist when the guy you pass to bricks the shot.
    Just saying that already in this young season, I've seen a trend where players that should be giving up the ball fail to make the extra pass. A low FG percentage can also be due to poor shot selection (e.g., driving against 3 players and shooting in traffic). But yeah, there have also been some bricks.

We need Jeff back to make the offense run better.

But seriously, he can make things a bit smoother, good cuts and smart play. He is one of the few players we have who isn't going to jack up a shot every time he touches the ball.

The biggest problem right now is we have alot of guys who want to do things themselves. Danny, George Hill, Paul George, Tyler, DWest and DJones.

It's ok if you have one or sometimes two of those guys on the floor together... it's like having a good backup plan when the play falls apart. You always have one of these guys who can create their own offense in case of emergency, but it's bad when everyone is trying to create their own offense at the expense of team play.

I'd still sacrifice a sweet looking offense for badass defense any day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Lance has taken five total shots this year.

AJ doesn't even shoot 40% for his career. I have no clue how you are trying to justify that.

Hill isn't a creator. He's a shot maker. When Lance and Hill are in, Hill should be playing off ball. Lance is a better creator and passer. Lance's shot will start to fall when he gets more playing time.
    AJ has played two seasons, and was recovering from a knee injury in one of them. His shooting was good when he was healthy (especially for a rookie)..it wasn't wonderful, but definitely decent for a rookie. Dun's three point percentage was almost 10 percent lower after his knee injury than the following season, and his FG% almost 5%. This isn't rocket science. It's the same reason West is struggling a bit with his midrange. They aren't 100% so they don't get as much lift. But it shouldn't be a Lance vs. AJ issue anyway. Lance is getting developmental minutes. Vogel isn't giving him enough to really impact the game, just enough to get Lance's feet wet. It's really whether you think Dahntay or AJ would help the second unit more.

Regardless, my point wasn't even about MAKING shots. It was about the willingness to take those shots, (making them would be nice though..but regardless, if you are a willing to take them, it forces the other team to guard you from there) and the ability to move the ball and move without the ball (making good reads while doing it. Some players try and move but have no clue..) which is something sorely needed in the second unit.

It's not that important anyway, but it would help the second unit out. The more important issue is the starting unit. Which, I think Vogel's going to have to teach PG how to move without the ball, and get Granger to stop driving into three people. Then have a few "go to" plays to go along with the increased ball/player movement.
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Just wanted to add.....we DO have a young coach doing his first HEAD COACHING gig EVER in NBA. It's really not an excuse, but he really hasn't had the time to seriously work on his own system of offense and defense. If you really think about it, Vogel has essentionally been coaching "on the fly" since he's took over the team. Probably one of the reasons why Bird insisted on veteran assistant coaches this offseason, because he highly expected that the NBA lockout was going to wipe out part of the season.

From a coaching perspective, the NBA Lockout probably hurt us more than any other team in the NBA, since Vogel didn't have the benefit of training camps and preseason games to implement and test his system. However, it's kinda nice that NBA Experts still believe that Indiana can make the playoffs on talent alone. If Indiana makes the playoffs as a very high seed, it kinda makes you wonder if we came across a VERY special coach in Vogel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Teams work very hard to contain the PnR...and it does take excellent execution to make use of it. The pick setters too often float rather than pop off the pick, so this isn't all DC's fault. Yet, I think part of the problem is DC. There are times when the pick setter is open but DC cannot seem to get the ball to them. Part of this is due to his height and the other part is his ability to pass. He's not bad, he's just not great at passing...and he's short. Perhaps they need to work on executing it better, because right now it's not working at all.
    I agree with this. It gets too cluttered for us in the Pick and Pop/Roll situations. The big defender is almost always jumping the pick. Our bigs need to recognize this and immediately roll to the basket with the PG on their hip or just slip to the basket. Instead, Our bigs just (like you said) float over to the side and our ballhandler just reverses his direction and looks to the other side. It would also help our Pick and Roll/Pop if our PG would sometimes use the pick to get to the basket. Make the defenders think about it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    AJ has played two seasons, and was recovering from a knee injury in one of them. His shooting was good when he was healthy (especially for a rookie)..it wasn't wonderful, but definitely decent for a rookie. Dun's three point percentage was almost 10 percent lower after his knee injury than the following season, and his FG% almost 5%. This isn't rocket science. It's the same reason West is struggling a bit with his midrange. They aren't 100% so they don't get as much lift.
    West has an excuse we had a short camp he isnt in basketball shape and has only played for 20 days. If they had a full camp im sure it would be different.

AJ cant shoot and for a pg who cant get to the rim or have good vision that is a death sentence.