Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you want to rent Dwight?

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

Default Would you want to rent Dwight?

Report: Magic pursuing 'rental' team for Howard

By Matt Moore

Dwight Howard is expected to be traded to the perfect spot. It'll be a team he wants to play for, since that team is the only kind he'll re-sign with this summer in free agency. It has to be a contender, or potential contender (as in the case of the Nets with Deron Williams), and a major market so he can get all the media and commercial love he desires. That's pretty clear. But the Orlando Sentinel reports that the Magic are pursuing another option. The rental game.

The Magic are talking to more teams than the ones on Dwight Howard's wish list.

They will listen to anybody who is willing to take a risk and give up a few good men for Howard if he can lead them to the NBA Finals as a temp.

It's another reason why they will wait until the March 15 deadline to make a deal for Howard, after he's played 44 games in Orlando. His new team would land him for 22 games, plus the postseason.

Far-fetched?

Absolutely. Sounds more like a means to put pressure on the teams that Howard has approved (Nets, Mavericks, Lakers).

But the Magic think some teams might take a flyer, hoping they can convince Howard to re-sign with them.
    via Orlando Magic: Magic to explore renting out Dwight Howard - OrlandoSentinel.com.

No one would be crazy enough to do this, right? To actually give up assets in order to nab Howard for 22 games and the playoffs, before he likely leaves? Well, there should be. That's right. I'm advocating insanity. That's how I roll.

Two factors to consider if you're in the hunt for a Dwight rental.

1. You have to move contracts that have considerable money behind them. The reason being, if Dwight doesn't re-sign, you don't want to be left without the pieces you traded, without Dwight, and a large salary situation. You're basically angling for a rebuilding. Part of the complication here is the Magic will want to dump Hedo Turkoglu or other components with salary burden. But the Magic have to know that to get back more talent like they reportedly want, they can't dump salary too in a rental situation. So why would the trading team risk rebuilding?

2. Because the odds of a title is worth it. Consider the Pacers. If you're Larry Bird, what are you really trying to accomplish, honestly? You want to make a good strong showing in the playoffs, maybe get hot and uspet some folks on the way to the eastern Conference Finals, to try and be in position to make one big move to get you over the hump and win the title in a wacky year. You know you're not going to be able to compete with Miami, Oklahoma City, Los Angeles, Chicago etc. every year. You're hoping to pull off a Pistons-esque title. The same goes for any team considering a rental. So if you're angling for one title, anyway, why not take your shot with the best defensive player in the league, an MVP candidate for 22 games and the playoffs.

That's the reasoning. You also have to establish how long it will take you to get back to being decent, since you have to factor how much winning a title will bring you financially versus two-to-three years of rebuilding will hurt you. And then you have to measure that against your actual odds of winning the title this season.

All of this leads to the reality that the chances are not good. You're asking GM's and owners to take a phenomenal risk with a devastating loss if they miss, and the payoff might not even be that good. Are several years of second round appearances better financially than a title and two years of lottery dwelling?

There's no list available of teams that might be interested, but here are five teams who should consider making the jump.

Indiana Pacers: As I mentioned earlier, the Pacers should be a team willing to make the move. Larry Bird doesn't want to do this forever. Getting Dwight gives them a chance to win the title this season, instead of waiting for years and years and years potentially without any payoff. The Pacers are deep enough to offer the Magic an option plan. Darren Collison or George Hill, Danny Granger or Paul George, and Roy Hibbert (youth, talent) vs. Jeff Foster (expiring contract, veteran experience). That's a great package and still leaves the Pacers with whoever the Magic don't take, along with David West for scoring.

Atlanta Hawks: The Hawks have been involved in talks this week with the Magic anyway, according to ESPN. Offering to move Josh Smith or Al Horford along with Joe Johnson puts the Magic in a great position to keep making the playoffs. The Hawks would have Jeff Teague, Kirk Hinrich, and either Smith or Horford to pair with Howard to try and make a run. With Howard having been born in Atlanta, it's got some pull and a good run might talk him into it. Not really, but sure. The biggest objection from Magic fans is that the Magic would never take on Joe Johnson's contract. But this is Otis Smith who took on Gilbert Arenas and Hedo Turkoglu in one year to try and win. Meanwhile, Johnson is an All-Star, and still is an above-average-to-pretty-good player at both ends without injury issues.

Memphis Grizzlies: The Grizzlies may wind up moving Rudy Gay anyway if this season keeps up and they have to make a move. The Grizzlies need frontcourt depth. So get Dwight Howard! Genius! OK,it's a long shot, but if moving Gay, Sam Young or O.J. Mayo, and either Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph brings in Howard, that could make the Grizzlies the best team in the West. They'd have defense and the best low-post-scoring combo in the league. Memphis is unlikely to be able to stay in contention for several years. Why not take the shot now?

Philadelphia 76ers: The Sixers have youth, Andre Igoudala as a centerpiece, and a full compliment of picks to add in. The team would be mortgaging the long-term value they've been angling for, but coach Doug Collins has also said that eventually they want to aim to bring in a star. Make a run with Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young, Elton Brand, and Howard, and if it doesn't work out, move towards the future.

Portland Trail Blazers: Paul Allen wants to avoid the luxury tax. What better way to do that than by trading for Howard's expiring contract? OK, kidding aside, the Blazers are so loaded, they can move Wesley Matthews and either LaMarcus Aldridge or Gerald Wallace. The remaining lineup would be good enough to challenge for the West.

Are any of these teams going to take the risk? No. Because this is not a league of gambling like this. The repercussions for failure would be catastrophic. But if a team really was all about winning a title, renting Howard for 22 games and the playoffs would be the boldest move possible.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/34094187

Would renting Dwight give us a shot at a title? Would it be worth a one year roll of the dice to lose some foundation for the future?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Would you want to rent Dwight?

If he will do my dishes, sure, I'll rent him on the cheap.

i doubt this even comes close to happening

Would Dwight + whatever we have left after the trade even get us to the Finals? I'm far from convinced it would.

So... hell no. I didn't sit through 6 years of rebuild just to flush this away after less than 60 games to maybe get further than the team we already have will. I'd rather have what the 90's Pacers had than that, even if the never do make/win a Finals. I'd rather have a team that can make the conference finals multiple times so at least there's an extended run where any given series could end up going your way, where you would then be right there with at least a shot at it.

Now, if you told me I could rent a couple of top guys, then maybe I'd at least think about it, but if Miami can lose, sure as hell the Pacers can too even if they have 1 or 2 superstars on their first year together.

So... hell no.

Use what we have now (this roster, this cap space, picks) to get 1 or 2 more pieces and run with that for the next handful of years, tweaking if necessary.

5. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hell no. I get his reasoning, but we're not a championship team this year, regardless of who we got. Our core is too young and inexperienced, there's no individual player that would deliver us a championship this year, period.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would renting Dwight give us a shot at a title? Would it be worth a one year roll of the dice to lose some foundation for the future?

I like nothing about this "renting" business so my answer is an easy NO.

The Pacers are already headed in the right direction to eventually become
    legitimate title contenders and do not need to go rocking the boat with any
    quick fixes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd rather have what the 90's Pacers had than that, even if the never do make/win a Finals. I'd rather have a team that can make the conference finals multiple times so at least there's an extended run where any given series could end up going your way, where you would then be right there with at least a shot at it.
    Agreed.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I felt we could keep Howard, then it's a no-brainer, but that probability of that is far too low for it to be worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    If I felt we could keep Howard, then it's a no-brainer, but that probability of that is far too low for it to be worth the risk.
    not if we have to give up everyone but D West......... very stupid trade.......

Sports Logo

If there was a way to rent him for 2 years....basically the window that we have with West and it wouldn't cost us more then Granger+Foster+DC+two 1st round picks while taking on JRich's ( not Hedo's ) contract....sure...I'd to it....but since that seems unlikely....yeah, I'd pass as well.

Our window is 2 years ( with the signing of West )...not 1 year. A 1 year rental makes sense for a Team like the Celtics or the Suns....but makes little sense for the Pacers unless it was for a 2 year rental and such a move allows us to keep a primary core of Players to compete for the next 2 seasons.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    not if we have to give up everyone but D West......... very stupid trade.......
    It's not giving up everyone but David West. It's giving the Magic the choice to choose. Take Darren Collison or George Hill. Not both. Take Paul George or Danny Granger. Not both. Take Roy Hibbert or Jeff Foster. Not both.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It's not giving up everyone but David West. It's giving the Magic the choice to choose. Take Darren Collison or George Hill. Not both. Take Paul George or Danny Granger. Not both. Take Roy Hibbert or Jeff Foster. Not both.
    ok then way happens to our bench...... blah.... pass 100 time over!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

I'm not promoting this trade but say they did accept an offer of George Hill, Paul George, and Roy Hibbert.

We would still have Darren Collison then, I read somewhere in another thread on PD that Darren Collison and a 1st for nash has a possibility of being accepted. So say this trade goes through as well.

Once again I am not supporting this trade but it is clear Memphis needs frontcourt help. I believe they would accept an offer of OJ Mayo for Tyler.

I'm way to committed to these current pacers and never wish to see them traded but these trades would leave us with a lineup of-

PG- Nash/Lance
    SG- OJ Mayo/ Dahntay
    SF- Danny/ Dahntay
    PF- David West/ Amundson
    C- Dwight Howard/ Foster

Our bench would be awful but I believe this team could win a championship. I am not supporting this idea because I would much rather have what the 90's pacers have but if the ultimate goal is winning an NBA championship this is a roster that could do it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sobleski For This Useful Post:

MTM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    ok then way happens to our bench...... blah.... pass 100 time over!
    Who cares about the bench? pick some guys from the D league if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by sobleski View Post
    I'm not promoting this trade but say they did accept an offer of George Hill, Paul George, and Roy Hibbert.

We would still have Darren Collison then, I read somewhere in another thread on PD that Darren Collison and a 1st for nash has a possibility of being accepted. So say this trade goes through as well.

Once again I am not supporting this trade but it is clear Memphis needs frontcourt help. I believe they would accept an offer of OJ Mayo for Tyler.

I'm way to committed to these current pacers and never wish to see them traded but these trades would leave us with a lineup of-

PG- Nash/Lance
    SG- OJ Mayo/ Dahntay
    SF- Danny/ Dahntay
    PF- David West/ Amundson
    C- Dwight Howard/ Foster

Our bench would be awful but I believe this team could win a championship. I am not supporting this idea because I would much rather have what the 90's pacers have but if the ultimate goal is winning an NBA championship this is a roster that could do it.
    That may be one of the worst perimeter defending teams in the history of basketball..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

There are things to consider for this trade:

1. Will Dwight be signing long-term for the Pacers?
    2. How much does it need to cost for that rental?
    3. Can Dwight make us a championship team this year?
    4. Will the blockbuster trade mid-season for this significantly improve or degrade the team's chemistry/on-court performance of the team?

While a superstar acquisition via blockbuster trade is nice, a major roster shake-up especially near the deadline will not do wonders for this young team. Just look at NY and Denver, NJ and Utah as examples. The only thing that's different is that Deron and Melo are still under contract the year after, and anything can be improved in the offseason (NY did improve their roster). If we're really that interested in Dwight, why not wait next offseason and offer him the best contract?

We trade Hill, George, and Hibbert, this summer Howard leaves. That leaves this before we can start to add new pieces once Dwight bolts:

Collison/Stephenson/Price
    Dahntay Jones
    Danny Granger
    David West/Tyler Hansbrough/Jeff Pendergraph
    Jeff Foster (assuming he hasn't retired)/Lou Amundson

Plus add whomever we draft in the mid 20s and mid 50s (assuming we still have those picks).

Shooting guard and center are just... yikes.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

By the way I think is possible for Howard to do the same thing CP3 did with LAC and maybe sign a 2 years extension, we would have to at least do Roy+Tyler+DC+ picks for Howard+Nelson.

Nelson,PG,Danny,West,Howard sounds good to me

Leving us a bench of Hill,Lance,DJ,Lou,Foster,Pendergraph.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

However if we won the Championship or even got to the East Finals, i'm pretty sure Howard resigns with the Pacers.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Who cares about the bench? pick some guys from the D league if you have to.
    Yeah, lets go the Miami route of last year and have total scrubs! That sure wins you a championship. Oh wait...
    DG for 3

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    However if we won the Championship or even got to the East Finals, i'm pretty sure Howard resigns with the Pacers.
    Those are 2 HUGE "ifs"

If they would accept Roy+Tyler+picks I think I would. I don't think they would accept that though.

[QUOTE=15th parallel;1331847]

a major roster shake-up especially near the deadline will not do wonders for this young team. QUOTE]

The Pacers found this out when they made the GS trade. All one has to do is go back in the PD archives and dig up all the posts and stories about no chemistry and no time to get the new players accustomed to playing with the team.

PASS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    Yeah, lets go the Miami route of last year and have total scrubs! That sure wins you a championship. Oh wait...
    Is not Miami's fault that Lebron was not able to close the deal and I don't know if you know this but they made it to the finals with no bench at all, proving that having a bench is not that important if you have a great 1st unit.

Nelson,PG,Danny,West,Howard is the best starting five in the NBA for sure.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-30-2011 at 01:36 PM.