Thread: The 3-0 start and Pacers starting history

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default The 3-0 start and Pacers starting history

3-0 in JOB's first year as coach (07-08). Ended the year 36-46. They were above .500 as late as 15-14.

Best NBA start ever for Pacers is 4-0 (twice). They've done 3-0 5 times now in the NBA.

Best ABA start: 6-0 (70-71), two other years they went 5-0

Since 89-90 here are the numbers and notes
    3 game start and latest point above .500:

89-90: 4-0 start, 42-40 (0-3 loss to Detroit)
    90-91: 2-1 start, 41-40 (Versace fired, ended 41-41, classic 5 game series vs Celts when Bird hit face and made dramatic return)

91-92: 2-1 start, 2-1 (ended 40-42 and quick 0-3 to Celts)
    92-93: 1-2 start, 40-38 (ended 41-41, end of Bob Hill after 4 game loss to Knicks)

93-94: 0-3 start, 47-35 (classic NYK ECF)
    94-95: 2-1 start, 52-30 (witch is dead, Smits vs Orlando)
    95-96: 3-0 start, 52-30 (Reggie's busted eye socket ends with Hawks playoff upset)
    96-97: 0-3 start, 13-12 (39-43 and the end of Larry Brown/beginning of Jalen Rose)

97-98: 1-2 start, 58-24 (classic ECF vs Bulls)
    98-99: 2-1 start, 33-17 (4pt play, ugh)
    99-00: 2-1 start, 56-26 (Finals)

00-01: 1-2 start, 5-4 (ended 41-41 with 7 game win streak near end of season)
    01-02: 2-1 start, 42-40
    02-03: 2-1 start, 48-34 (peaked at 22 games over .500 with 37-15 before Ron meltdown/team collapse)

03-04: 2-1 start, 61-21
    04-05: 4-0 start, 44-38 (brawl obviously, 7-2 after beating Detroit)
    05-06: 2-1 start, 35-34 (ended 41-41, 10-7 when Ron asks for trade)
    06-07: 2-1 start, 29-28 (ended 36-46, were 20-18 before Murphleavy trade)

07-08: 3-0 start, 15-14 (ended 36-46)
    08-09: 1-2 start, 4-3 (ended 36-46)
    09-10: 0-3 start, 5-4 (ended 32-50, famous 5 game win streak after 0-3)
    10-11: 2-1 start, 11-10 (ended 37-45, 20-18 under Vogel)

Obviously the next 2 games are very winnable despite being on the road. Winning them would make for the best NBA start ever by this team and would set up the Miami game as a chance to tie the franchise record.

On the other hand the history shows how hard it is to start off undefeated and how little it seems to impact the final outcome of the season. Great teams have had poor starts and terrible teams have had good ones.

Perhaps 2 of the greatest Pacers seasons started off with 1-2 and 0-3 starts (ECF vs NYK and CHI).

So really, let's get back to the W-L total when we are in late FEB when it actually matters.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 3-0 start and Pacers starting history

Usually I would agree that W-L usually doesn't matter this early in the season, but in a shortened season every win matters.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

We've played 3 bad teams and two of the games we barely won.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This team seems to play to the same level as the team we are facing, and I don't think that's going to change. I don't expect us to blow many teams out, nor do I expect us to get blown out very often.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winner For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, if we go 5-0, your saying championship?!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Which are two games that we would of certainly lost last year. We would be 1-3 instead of 3-0. Do you honestly expect them to blow out every bad opponent? No one knows what they're even capable of yet including themselves.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harddrive7 For This Useful Post:

The Heat barely won against Charlotte and Minessota. It's the NBA.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

We have a saying in Tagalog: "Bilog ang bola."
    In English, "the ball is round."

In basketball, momentum, luck, foul calls and scoring runs can roll in favor of any team. So it doesn't really matter anyway. A win is a win regardless of who's the opponent. Opponent's strength does matter, but it's not the only thing that determines a win. The Raptors have won on their first game, and the Cavs have a potential all-star PG and a highly-recognized coach, so they're not that poor of an opponent.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

I am very happy with the 3 and 0 start. The fact that we have played bad teams has helped with that start. I would also say I'm looking forward to when we shoot over 40% which I'm sure we will quite often, and if we do we will win a lot of games.

For the first time in years I am not unhappy with the play of any players as a matter of fact I am very encouraged with what I have seen from all of our players this year.

I am not hoping for the playoffs this year, I am expecting the playoffs this year. That is quite a change.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post:

We're a whole lot better than the team from 2007-08, that's for sure. We also lost our next 6 games that season. It was definitely a bitter start to a tough rebuilding process, but it's paid off tremendously now. Now we have a good team that has Indy excited and proud.

I'm proud of this team and where it's come.

We are a very good team and I think we've played well to start off the season and all what matters in the end are the wins and we've won. In the past, we would've lost and been disappointed, but we've become a solid, clutch team under coach Vogel.

I feel like the teams we've played know we're a dangerous team and they played us well, but again, we came out with the wins and we've played better.

This is best team we've had in a very long time and I only expect us to get better as the season goes on and into the future.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Keep in mind it's the beginning of a season after a lockout and nobody is playing like they will be in a month or two. You can't make any conclusions right now about anything.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Keep in mind it's the beginning of a season after a lockout and nobody is playing like they will be in a month or two. You can't make any conclusions right now about anything.
    Very true. We have also played some of the worst teams in the NBA as well to start the season. While I like some things that I've seen in defense and rebounding, especially from Hibbert, I just want to see that against some of the better teams. Offensively is a struggle with this team and that has to improve drastically for us to have much success. Luckily we play in the East where really there are only 2 legit teams in the Heat and Bulls. I would put Boston their but condensed schedule will take a toll on them. I think were improved form last year with D West and G. Hill, plus not having any influence from JOB to start the season is the biggest addition. Still there is a lot of work to do before we become serious contenders in the East.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

23. The Following User Says Thank You to trs72 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    So, if we go 5-0, your saying championship?!

Yeah, it's fun to get excited but at the post-game we were talking about this and I was certain I recalled a very recent 3-0 start. There it was, the first JOB season.

So this team could be solid, great or one of the worst in the NBA based on being 3-0 right now.

Still it is fun to look at the potential "records" they could hit, even if those records have little value in the grand scheme of things. Its early in the season and the standings are still boring and meaningless. Trivia keeps it entertaining.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Happy about the record. Happy about David West showing effectiveness early. Happy about the D being decent. The effort is there.

But the overall level of play? Not good, especially on offense. Collison has had some stretches of running a competent offense, but only a few. Hill has not been in sync with anything so far.

Am reserving judgment because these games have been like a preseason that counts, but Vogel's scheme is rather simple and yet the execution is poor. If we were bricklaying because of rust, on good looks, I'd be okay with it. But the offense isn't generating enough good looks, and occasionally, players are just gunning. Spazzball.

Sigh. Work in progress, I know. I'm reminded of Larry Brown's mantra, "You're playing like a bunch of strangers out there." Hope the Pacers look more like friends and family after 10 games.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Is there any doubt that this is a better team? No Murphy or Dunleavy. No crazies. No Rush with lukewarm effort. A legitimate big time PF; a crazy PF b/u who will never ever quit or be intimidated. A very promising SG and two very decent guys who can pay the point. A reliable SF who can be counted on for points most nights. A fairly decent C who will be up and down throughout his career not too different from Smits. A team that will significantly be better at rebounding and if we had gotten the shooter LB wanted there is no telling how good this team could be in a long season requiring effort and stamina.

Throw in good coaching and motivation and let's see what happens at the end of the season. I see no worse than 5th seed and possibly higher.
    Last edited by speakout4; 12-31-2011 at 03:07 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    No Rush with lukewarm effort.
    Jackson seems to have no problem getting better than 'lukewarm effort' out of Rush. Wonder why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    Jackson seems to have no problem getting better than 'lukewarm effort' out of Rush. Wonder why that is?
    I wouldn't be judging Rush's performance in GS until he has played a few more games but perhaps Vogel is not very good because he failed as miserably as JOB in getting much out of Rush.. Can you deny Rush's performance here was anything other than lukewarm? Perhaps LB was wrong in trying to include Brandon in just about every trade he tried to bring about.

That means that last year with JOB those would've been 3 losses instead of 3 ugly wins ! I'll take the Ws more importantly so that the Us of ugly wouldn't appear on the win column next to the W ! GO PACERS !!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacemaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    Am reserving judgment because these games have been like a preseason that counts, but Vogel's scheme is rather simple and yet the execution is poor. If we were bricklaying because of rust, on good looks, I'd be okay with it. But the offense isn't generating enough good looks, and occasionally, players are just gunning. Spazzball.
    Actually, I only mostly felt this way about the Cavs game, not so much the first two games. I think there have been more than a few good looks by Hill, West, and others that I would typically expect them to knock down but it just didn't happen. And there were times where they were actually over-passing the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll probably be in the lower half of the league offensively this season, but I think we will go up from rock bottom to maybe around 20th or so.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    Rush has had plenty of three game stretches in his career where his effort was not lukewarm. His problem is sustaining that. No one doubts the kid has talent, and should be a lot better than he is. Which is why even if he is a solid role player, people will still be aggrevated because he could be so much more. Golden State has a less structured offense which should be better for him, plus the fans don't have lottery pick expectations for him. No pressure.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: