Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Pacers/Cavaliers postgame thread

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers/Cavaliers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What I really, REALLY like about this team is the balanced attack. No one is hung up on "gotta get mine" or "I'm the #1 option" here. Danny can score 15-20, DWest can score 15-20, Roy can score 15-20, Hill is coming around and will join that group. Tyler, DC, and PG24 can throw in 10-15 with other things like rebounds, defense, or assists. This team is winning because no one has to be a superstar, they just have to give 100%.
    Actually, Danny said the other night that "Tyler can go for 20 on any night."

I was glad to hear it, because last year I felt Danny somehow didn't like Tyler for some reason. Hopefully, he's gotten over that, thanks perhaps to a guy like West showing that your stats are less important than team and wins.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Loosely translated:

This is David West, watch him run in slow motion. West is pretty bad *ss. Look, he runs all over the place, woah, watch out says Anderson Varajeo. Wow....West just blocked Antawn Jamison's shot? He's chasing Kyrie Irving? Oh my Gosh, David West is just craaazzy. David West has been referred to by Pacers Digest as the most fearless Player in a Pacers uniform, he really doesn't give a *****. If he wants to score, he just scores. Whenever West wants to rebound the ball, he doesn't rebound the ball...he takes the ball and owns it. David West just takes what he wants. Watch this, Anthony Parker just hit a 3pt shot to put the Cavs up by 2 with 17 seconds left? David West doesn't care, he just turns around and nails a 2pt shot to tie the game up with 4 seconds left in the game. West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.
    That video is hysterical. What a funny narrator.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but the Pacers played a very poor first half as their effort just wasnt good enough, they were soft. They came out in the third quarter and played great, holding the cavs to 14 points.

Looks like Derrick Rose plays for Cleveland now, ie Kyrie Irving. Having a guard that is big and fast is huge in todays NBA. The Pacers have fast but not strong and big.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but the Pacers played a very poor first half as their effort just wasnt good enough, they were soft. They came out in the third quarter and played great, holding the cavs to 14 points.
    Agreed, except for Roy--which is ironic because he is usually Mr. Soft.

He had a great game, perhaps his best. If this Roy Hibbert shows up every game then we are in for a great season.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Hill is going to push DC for playing time/starts, but we suspected this might be the case. Mostly it should help push DC to be his very best, which is a good thing.

Our points are average. A weak spot on this team.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Just looked at the box score.

- DWest with 39 minutes. Okay 34 since we had overtime. Still seems like too many minutes for a 31 year old recovering from a knee injury. Foster and Pendergraph need to get back on the court. And maybe Hans's 24 minutes should be upped.

- Roy with team's highest +/-. Those five offensive rebounds are a beautiful thing to see, along with the high fg percentage. If he ups that assist line, which he surely has the potential to do, it will be scary.

- George Hill seemed to play a great game, but he had the team's worst +/-.

- Granger tied the point guard for most assists. Now there's a trend I would like to see continue.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't get to see the game because I was out, But from what I heard there was a lot of foul trouble in the first half.. I woud imagine that's a good reason to why the performance wasn't as good.

Also, Mike Wells reported the team flght didnt land in Detroit until 3:30 am.... That factor mixed with the fact that we just played an overtime game last night, could mean a bad performance today. Maybe even a loss to the lowely Pistons.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Also, Mike Wells reported the team flght didnt land in Detroit until 3:30 am.... That factor mixed with the fact that we just played an overtime game last night, could mean a bad performance today. Maybe even a loss to the lowely Pistons.
    Nah, we got this

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Actually, Danny said the other night that "Tyler can go for 20 on any night."

I was glad to hear it, because last year I felt Danny somehow didn't like Tyler for some reason. Hopefully, he's gotten over that, thanks perhaps to a guy like West showing that your stats are less important than team and wins.
    True, and I think he can as well. I'm a big fan of Psycho T. So far, it seems like his role on this team will be more in the 10-15 ppg range on a nightly basis, and that's more of the idea I was getting at.

Also, UB is right. The effort in the first half didn't seem as strong as usual. Maybe they were tired, or the were just kinda dogging it thinking, "it's just the Cavs." That is a dangerous mentality this year more than most, because each game is going to be worth just a little more and the schedule makes it even easier for a bad team to beat a good team. Or maybe, it was just the foul trouble thing and the shots just weren't falling like they should.

They did pick it up in the 3rd quarter though. Vogel must've lit a fire under them at halftime. Good to see that.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

A team playing as a team. Young players developing. A calming veteran in a position of leadership who is a high level contributor despite still probably not being 100%. Winning ugly games due to a focus on defense, rebounding, and getting to the line despite not hitting shots.

This, my friends, is what we have been waiting for! Fundamental basketball that is not an embarrassment to the state of Indiana. A great time to be a proud fan of YOUR INDIANA PACERS!!!!!!!!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Looks like Derrick Rose plays for Cleveland now, ie Kyrie Irving. Having a guard that is big and fast is huge in todays NBA. The Pacers have fast but not strong and big.

I've wanted the Pacers to get a big PG for soooo long! I keep asking Santa for one every year, but he just doesn't deliver one. Maybe, I'm not leaving the right type cookies out for him. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Just looked at the box score.

- DWest with 39 minutes. Okay 34 since we had overtime. Still seems like too many minutes for a 31 year old recovering from a knee injury. Foster and Pendergraph need to get back on the court. And maybe Hans's 24 minutes should be upped.

- Roy with team's highest +/-. Those five offensive rebounds are a beautiful thing to see, along with the high fg percentage. If he ups that assist line, which he surely has the potential to do, it will be scary.

- George Hill seemed to play a great game, but he had the team's worst +/-.

- Granger tied the point guard for most assists. Now there's a trend I would like to see continue.

That's a nice stat for Granger, but it tells me the PG's aren't distributing the ball correctly. I suppose with the poor shooting the other players aren't hitting the shots when the PG's get them the ball. OR it's a combination of both. 15 assists just ain't cutt'n it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    That's a nice stat for Granger, but it tells me the PG's aren't distributing the ball correctly. I suppose with the poor shooting the other players aren't hitting the shots when the PG's get them the ball. OR it's a combination of both. 15 assists just ain't cutt'n it.
    i have to say the Cavs Defense looked rly tough

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post

i have to say the Cavs Defense looked rly tough

I guess I didn't notice the Cavs "D" being that great. So in your opinion, do you feel the Cavs played the best "D" against the Pacers out of the 3 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I guess I didn't notice the Cavs "D" being that great. So in your opinion, do you feel the Cavs played the best "D" against the Pacers out of the 3 games?
    i say the raptor D was tough too..... hard to tell...... maybe we are just soft idk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Assist numbers are gonna be low when you shoot under 40%

Gotta Play Big

The offense is simply not up to speed yet folks. I'm not worried at all about it. My biggest concern is whether DC can initiate the offense in a way to help us play at a high level. He has looked better this year on defense and he's acting more like a PG on offense (assists are up and his scoring is down)...so I am growing more hopeful. But there's more to it.

To explain this further, I don't want DC driving and making one pass in an effort to make an assist. That's not the idea...although it's better than chucking. But to truly get the job done as a PG, he needs to start and facilitate ball movement which requires a team approach to the offense. He needs to lead. He needs to enforce this type of play with words and actions. Very few one-on-ones. Single pass and shoot plays are fine at times, but that shouldn't be the offense. At the moment, however, that is the offense and until the team learns to work together it's not going to get significantly better.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

The biggest difference in the league where every team has some good players is having a couple guys who know how to win. For YEARS this team had guys who just weren't winners. Now we do, and we are 3-0. Eventually the team with the most talent will rise to the top, and that may not be us. But we have some good talent, and some winners, and that should take us at least 2 levels into the playoffs.

Exactly. Outside of Hill and Hibbert, everybody looked out-of-sync in the first half. Danny was probably taking the most questionable shots I've ever seen him take. I didn't get his play in the first half at all.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Except that Tyrann Mathieu has already got that nickname locked up...

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post

Assist numbers are gonna be low when you shoot under 40%
    Did you check to compare the 1st 2 games asts when shooting under 40% to this game assts at 15? A difference of 5 asts or 25% less assists.

IMO, the players weren't making the extra passes in this game compared to the other games. In one of the previous games, maybe Toronto, they were passing to the point of over passing. In each game, the shooting % was about the same, so less Asts on 4 more made shots in last nights game. 32 made baskets in the 1st 2 games and 36 made baskets in last nights game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David West is Chuck Norris's father.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Loosely translated:

This is David West, watch him run in slow motion. West is pretty bad *ss. Look, he runs all over the place, woah, watch out says Anderson Varajeo. Wow....West just blocked Antawn Jamison's shot? He's chasing Kyrie Irving? Oh my Gosh, David West is just craaazzy. David West has been referred to by Pacers Digest as the most fearless Player in a Pacers uniform, he really doesn't give a *****. If he wants to score, he just scores. Whenever West wants to rebound the ball, he doesn't rebound the ball...he takes the ball and owns it. David West just takes what he wants. Watch this, Anthony Parker just hit a 3pt shot to put the Cavs up by 2 with 17 seconds left? David West doesn't care, he just turns around and nails a 2pt shot to tie the game up with 4 seconds left in the game. West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    My new nickname for David West is "honey badger"....oh you go up by 2 points on an anthony parker 3 pointer? David West doesn't give a **** he hits a running floater in the lane with a few seconds left to tie it up.
    Oh my. This might stick. I'm going to try it out during the next game. I am sure my wife will be in stitches when I shout "**** yeah, honey badger!" at the screen.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post: