Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Cavaliers postgame thread

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers/Cavaliers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wall looked ok as a rookie, but Irving looks a lot better to me, and Wall had a lot more hpye out of college.

I thought the cavs defense was good tonight, the best defense against the pacers thus far
    Irving has better quicks and a nasty rock the ball/crossover plus lateral shimmy/fake that is going to get him past nearly all defenders with little issue. The shimmy is where he can keep the dribble in the same hand and just throw a shoulder shimmy to get a guy to bite and give him the driving lane. Then you add in the crossover. Yeesh. It's like Damon Stoudamire's first couple of seasons.

Wall's thing is transitional SPEED, not quicks. He's more Kidd where if he gets the ball at the FT line or farther on a rebound or TO and it's a freaking track meet the other way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

So I'm looking up at the stats board, can't remember if it was late in the second quarter or at the beginning of the third, but most of our starters were back in the game. And I'm noticing that we have a whopping 2 assists from the group, which had logged some significant minutes to that point.

I could bring up the fact that there were numerous times that I was hollering for D. Jones to pass the ball off, but I recall several instances when other Pacers players just tried to ram through 2 or 3 defenders when they could have easily passed the ball off to someone else for a short jumper.

I'm not saying that we have a selfish group of players, but making that extra pass could have helped tonight. Seemed like we got a few extra offensive foul calls against us but could not tell if they were legit from where I was sitting.

Defense is good, but we will still probably need to step it up as well as the offense, on the road against even the average teams we play, if we expect to win these types of games. I actually think that Cleveland may finish just under .500, but as someone else mentioned, it's really tough to figure out where we are just yet in this young season.

At 3-0, these are not complaints, but merely my take on things.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

6-15 shooting isnt exactly an amazing performance. he looked great for some stretches but lousy for others.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Yeah, George doesn't want to be here. Hopefully tonight is the end of that whole discussion. He's coming out of his slump.
    Look at Dahntay in the background. He looks seriously moved by that exchange.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

also i would love Dahntay if he didnt think he was Kobe. i think he'd be a nice piece if he wasnt such a cot damn black hole

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Yeah, George doesn't want to be here. Hopefully tonight is the end of that whole discussion. He's coming out of his slump.
    Larry Bird in the background clapping. He likes what he sees out this team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Dahntay was #8 on the minute list tonight. That's not overuse considering we are thin on the wing. Anyway, you have to take the good with the bad since we didn't pick up Mayo or Crawford.

The good being the W and the fact DJ was limited to 16 minutes...and made 4 points on 4 attempts. He's not terrible. He also plays with intensity. IMO, we are fortunate he's available and as a third stringer he will be awesome. We just need to add another good wing and DJ will be transformed into a great cheerleader and very capable 3rd string wing.

I don't think dahnaty is a black hole because frank wants him to for a pretty simple reason. If he had good shot selections, he would actually be good and would get more time.

He gets to the basket, he can create a pull up, he shoots a high percentage, and he plays defense with tons of energy. Why wouldn't he play?
    Last edited by Since86; 12-31-2011 at 01:39 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    Look at Dahntay in the background. He looks seriously moved by that exchange.
    Well considering the Fieldhouse was ROCKING by that point, can you blame him?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Roy has looked like he can score at will in the post this year. He's kept position much better than I can recall last year, just stronger in his core in general. He's been our best player this season by far, and that's with subpar entry passes into the post and light usage.

15-12.3 2 blocks 1.5 assists on 57 percent shooting from your center? I'll take it anyday. Roy is actually a pretty good rebounder now, although he was never as bad as people make it out to be. Super tall dudes typically aren't as great at it as they would seem to be.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    I don't know why the attendance was low tonight. Where'd everyone go from the home opener is what I wanted to know? We were 2-0 from that point to tonight.

I spoke with a lady at the box office and she said after the New Year/the holiday season, attendance will probably be higher.
    Um, first of all the opener has all the half season ticket holders both going, and I think all the mini-plans as well.

Then you sell tickets for 10-20-40 to the 3 levels. If it was always 40 to sit in the lower bowl they'd sell out a ton. They'd make less actual income, but it would be full.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Well really, that's what I mean. I get annoyed at him. His faults are unacceptable. But I like him. I appreciate him, and see what Vogel probably sees. But I like him even more when he's doing that cheerleading thing on the bench.

And obviously I'd prefer Dahntay sit. The alternative to Dahntay playing is Price playing. Clearly I prefer the latter.
    Yeah, sorry I was just going to edit my post after re-reading your original post (I first saw it quoted). I think we actually agree completely.

His shooting stinks, his shot selection stinks, but his aggressive drives to the rim does draw fouls which gets his PPS up a big.

If he was doing this when the regular offense broke down you'd appreciate him salvaging something. But when guys like Roy, DC, Danny or Hill go unnoticed with his tunnel vision for the rim it gets annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    I agree that Dahntay seems to believe that 'shooting guard' means he's supposed to shoot when the ball comes to him.

But in his defense, he had the highest fg% of any of our wings last year, and the second highest Points-per-Shot on the team....so maybe this IS a guy you want to put the ball up??
    He has mostly been backing up the SF position. darren,hill and DJ played a lot together. I agree he is to selfish on offense, just wanted to highlight this small lineup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Seems like Peck and Diamond Dave were impressed as well.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yeah, sorry I was just going to edit my post after re-reading your original post (I first saw it quoted). I think we actually agree completely.

His shooting stinks, his shot selection stinks, but his aggressive drives to the rim does draw fouls which gets his PPS up a big.

If he was doing this when the regular offense broke down you'd appreciate him salvaging something. But when guys like Roy, DC, Danny or Hill go unnoticed with his tunnel vision for the rim it gets annoying.
    This is true, but it's a good sign we are outgrowing the time when DJ was a good option. Yet, I tend to think we don't need a whipping boy on this team. I think all of these guys have something to add. DJ provides intensity and sometimes helps with momentum. He's not a poor defender either. But sure, he not only hurts the flow of the offense but once it's in his hands the offense is all DJ...and that's the downside.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

He played with a ton of confidence tonight and basically he played like George Hill.

I'm happy he's a Pacer and he seems that way too.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I loved how aggressive Hill was tonight. He struggled later, but you got a taste of what he can do when he attacks, and I'm telling you he normally can hit 3s at a good, clip, too. To say nothing of his sometimes stellar D and ability to hold down the PG spot. These are some of the reasons I was excited we got him on draft night.

God, I'm so far pretty stoked about adding Hill and West to this team. Imagine if we'd completed the hat trick with Crawford. Eventually, that third piece is coming. Don't know who, don't know when, but he's coming. I can't wait.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    I don't know why the attendance was low tonight. Where'd everyone go from the home opener is what I wanted to know? We were 2-0 from that point to tonight.

I spoke with a lady at the box office and she said after the New Year/the holiday season, attendance will probably be higher.
    I know we've had this conversation before, but by the time you add the tk-master price to those single game balcony tickets the enticement isn't there anymore. The majority of folks are not going by themselves so a couple would be dropping around $74 bucks up there.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I loved how aggressive Hill was tonight. He struggled later, but you got a taste of what he can do when he attacks, and I'm telling you he normally can hit 3s at a good, clip, too. To say nothing of his sometimes stellar D and ability to hold down the PG spot. These are some of the reasons I was excited we got him on draft night.
    He just needed to shoot his way out of the slump. Sure it gave us heartburn, but thats the only way his shoot was coming back to him.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I was at the game tonight. Great time. David West is huge for this team. We don't win this game last year.

Irving looks good.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wasn't in the game thread tonight, but just browsed through. I must say I enjoyed the reading the usual bipolar swings back and forth in rapid succession. lol.

There are obviously a lot of negatives you could take away from this game. But I'll just say this - learning how to win ugly games, how to gut through and find a way to win - that's something every team has to learn if they are going to develop into anything halfway decent. This team is doing that. We're still pretty young and trying to work in some key new pieces with no training camp and almost no preseason, with a mostly new coaching staff to boot. All things considered, I'm pretty pleased.

Some of the shot selection is bad but we are also missing a number shots we'd normally make. I really do expect the FG% to even out over the next month or so.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Our conditioning is a problem. Our offense tonight looked terrible solely because we were initiating it with :12-:14 to go on the clock. That's way too long to wait, which indicates to me that players are tired. We'll eventually be fine, but it's time to balance out he rotation a bit.

Teams have been playing worse than normal in back to backs this season. I'm very curious to see how we come out tomorrow after being flat for most of tonight.

I love David West. I was very happy about getting him but I underestimated his impact.

West and Hill are perfect for this team psychologically. They're both very serious and focused, which can help ground some of the other guys that get too high and too low.

I agree that Hill was great defensively. In college he could flat out score, so I'm hoping we'll start seeing some of that soon.

And Darren....this is the Darren I remember from UCLA and NOH. He's starting to make a defensive impact. We're heading in the right direction defensively.

I hope Paul George can regain his defensive focus. His defense has been poor so far and that was my concern with him as he concentrates more on offense.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

We were very lucky tonight. Still can't believe Kyrie missed that bunny.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Our conditioning is a problem. Our offense tonight looked terrible solely because we were initiating it with :12-:14 to go on the clock. That's way too long to wait, which indicates to me that players are tired. We'll eventually be fine, but it's time to balance out he rotation a bit.

Teams have been playing worse than normal in back to backs this season. I'm very curious to see how we come out tomorrow after being flat for most of tonight.

I love David West. I was very happy about getting him but I underestimated his impact.

West and Hill are perfect for this team psychologically. They're both very serious and focused, which can help ground some of the other guys that get too high and too low.

I agree that Hill was great defensively. In college he could flat out score, so I'm hoping we'll start seeing some of that soon.

And Darren....this is the Darren I remember from UCLA and NOH. He's starting to make a defensive impact. We're heading in the right direction defensively.

I hope Paul George can regain his defensive focus. His defense has been poor so far and that was my concern with him as he concentrates more on offense.
    He sure could in HS he was an Eric Gordon like assassin. But dont forget J.J Reddick could score in college and he went to Duke which is great competition. Guys like Reggie Williams scored at will in college the NBA is a different beast. Not saying he wont become more of a scorer but I wouldn't expect anything to crazy. My guess is George Hill's career year will be 12-16ppg area.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post

Seems like Peck and Diamond Dave were impressed as well.
    Help me here....I have no clue what any of you look like.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.