Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article on Player Heights AKA "Height Liars"

Default Interesting Article on Player Heights AKA "Height Liars"

Default Re: Interesting Article on Player Heights AKA "Height Liars"

Personally, I always thought Kevin Garnett was 6'10".

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Most GMs go by barefoot height when picking players. Learned that in the basketball scouting course I took.

Not sure I believe Granger is the 6'8" he's listed at.
    Last edited by ndcoltsnpacers; 12-30-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hardly believe Granger is the 6'8" he's listed at (without shoes). 6'6" might even be a kind measurement.
    he's slightly shorter than PG in an eyeball test. he'd be around 6'7"~6'8"..

why are we ripping on our own players? i don't get it, especially when it pertains to petty **** like this, and when there are MANY more egregrious, obvious offenders?

It gets pretty comical at times. Collins twins listed at 7' might be the worst offenders. They're under 6'9" w/o shoes. I remember 6'10" Justin Williams in the 2006 draft measuring out at 6'7 1/4". I didn't even know what to say when I read that.

It's pretty bad. That's why I tend to go with measurements w/o shoes at the combine. Also, some guys like Paul George and KG actually grow a couple inches after their combine measurements, so that changes things to.

Not sure I believe Granger is the 6'8" he's listed at.
    Pre-Draft measurement was 6-7 1/2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    he's slightly shorter than PG in an eyeball test. he'd be around 6'7"~6'8"..

why are we ripping on our own players? i don't get it, especially when it pertains to petty **** like this, and when there are MANY more egregrious, obvious offenders?
    I wasn't ripping anyone. He's a great player. His height is what it is. Me saying I think it's a few inches shorter than what they tell us doesn't change those facts. In fact if he does what he does at a shorter height that makes him even more impressive. I'm ripping on the NBA's system of making people seem larger than life more than anything I guess.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't ripping anyone. He's a great player. His height is what it is. Me saying I think it's a few inches shorter than what they tell us doesn't change those facts. In fact if he does what he does at a shorter height that makes him even more impressive. I'm ripping on the NBA's system of making people seem larger than life more than anything I guess.
    i dunno man, when i think of height liars, danny granger is not a guy that comes to mind. you'd need a specific reason to start talking about danny granger in this discussion.

in fact, i haven't heard of a single person so far that's said "danny's short, i wish he was taller than he is? oh man, does PG tower over him or what?"

as BBQ said, he was 6'7.5" at pre-draft without shoes. that's essentially 6'8".

i dunno man, when i think of height liars, danny granger is not a guy that comes to mind. you'd need a specific reason to start talking about danny granger in this discussion.

in fact, i haven't heard of a single person so far that's said "danny's short, i wish he was taller than he is? oh man, does PG tower over him or what?"

Someone's in a grumpy mood...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

It isn't the players who lie about their height, it is the teams and the league. Anyways just saying that the official height according to the league is not correct is not ripping a player. It is merrily pointing out a fact. When that practice is as common as it is at every level of basketball, official heights kind of lose their meaning anyways.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Player heights are overrated.

Hard to blame players for height inflation, IMO. Frankly there's huge incentive for draftees to exaggerate their listed heights. Kevin Love was considered an undersized prospect despite a very productive freshman season, yet when he measured out at 6'10'' in shoes (a 2'' bump over his height in socks) suddenly he was considered a legit big man and was drafted in the top 5. The truth? He is undersized, even for a PF, but he makes it work regardless.

It's not the listed height, it's how big a player plays. Even on this board recently, some people mentioned getting an extra 7 footer to play backup C, but in truth 6'9'' guys like West or Pendergraph can probably do a better job of it than some random 7 foot stiff. But there's a perception that centers have to be at least 7 feet tall to be effective, which leads to those guys getting overpaid relative to their worth.

So I'm not sure I agree with Abbott's article that accurate height measurements are all important. They are just a rough guide at best, and that IMO is the best way to regard them. But Abbott's original point stands. Dwight Howard is a 6'9'' Superman (6'10'' in shoes) and the best center in the league. Why does Orlando/NBA find it necessary to list him as 6'11'' on his bio page? It's just weird.

Paul George is on pace to 7'2" by the time he's 25, I do know that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I thought everyone added an inch or two?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

He isn't talking about players being the liars, he is talking about the official LEAGUE measurements.

I only take notice of this once I notice a guy gain 3 more inches in shoes or barefoot.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Historically, AI and Ewing were culprits. Not sure what Chuck was listed at either, but given the success of guys like David West, Josh McRoberts and Carl Landry, maybe it's more important to have talent than height. Athleticism and reach also can easily negate height differences.

The thing about Dwight Howard is that when his pre-draft scouting took place he was only 18 years old. It's very feasible he grew another couple of inches. There's no way he's only 6'9.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to P_George For This Useful Post:

I've always assumed there's a 1 inch exaggeration with most players. Obviously there's always a couple blatant offenders, but for the most part 1 inch seems to be pretty accurate.

PG for instance is actually 6'9" but everyone here continues to refer to him as 6'10. I don't really mind it as in comparison to the rest of the league is sortof accurate.

I go strictly by a players camp measurements. However I keep several things in mind.

One, it's a fact that you are usually fractions taller in the morning. That's because we are somewhat like a sofa cushion, our body's compress when we are on our feet all day and stretch out when we are in bed all night. This doesn't amount to inches though, just fractions. So you could actually measure a bit shorter than you are at another time.

Two, player do grow.

Three, I never bought the "players play in shoes refrain" because you can change shoes. That was never a good way to measure.

Rule of thumb is most shoes add 1/2" to 1 3/4's" to a players height.

So, I just add an inch of height to a players camp measurement and figure I'm really close to his height. Danny's probably close to 6'8 1/2 inch's in shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    The thing about Dwight Howard is that when his pre-draft scouting took place he was only 18 years old. It's very feasible he grew another couple of inches. There's no way he's only 6'9.
    Maybe. But he sure doesn't look 6'11'' either. Try watching him when he's standing near other players.

You might be surprised at how many star centers had their height exaggerated. Ewing and Olajuwon weren't 7 footers - more like 6'10'' at most. Mourning was even shorter. Rik on the other hand, was probably really 7'4''. Once past that magical 7 foot threshold, they're just super tall

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    It isn't the players who lie about their height, it is the teams and the league.
    Nope, it's usually the players. Jason Collins for example. He said he was basically 6'8"1/2 at Stanford w/o shoes. One day, he came up with this great idea that he wanted to by 7' tall.

So he told the Stanford media guide to list him at 7' tall. And look at him now. He's been 7' tall ever since. LOL. Whatever it is Stanford listed at is what NBA teams list him at.

Edit: Here's the snippet from the article re: Jason Collins. Don't have the actual article, just the text.
    Many players in NBA are telling tall stories

New Jersey Nets center Jason Collins is listed at 7-feet tall in the NBA's player guide.

Truth be told, Collins needs a boost to even come close.

"In sneakers, with my orthotics, ankle braces and two pairs of socks, I'm a good 6-111/2," said a chuckling Collins, whose Nets trail the San Antonio Spurs 2-1 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals heading into tonight's Game 4 in New Jersey. "It's almost a joke."

Collins, who's more like 6-foot-8, isn't the only basketball player telling a tall tale.

Many NBA hopefuls exaggerate their height while in high school or college to make themselves more appealing to coaches and scouts who prefer taller players. Collins, for example, remembers the exact day he picked to experience a growth spurt.

"Media day, my junior year," the Stanford graduate said. "I told our sports information guy that I wanted to be 7 feet and it's been 7 feet ever since."

Advertisement

Collins isn't fooling any of his teammates.

Four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Dikembe Mutombo, a legitimate 7-foot-2, said he and Collins don't exactly see eye-to- eye.

"They're giving him 4 inches," Mutombo said. "There are a lot of guys who list heights that they are not."
    Last edited by d_c; 12-30-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish it was a rule that players had to measured at the start of each season in the shoes they play in. Then we'd really know the truth and stop all the speculation.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So many NBA players exaggerate about their heights that it's really an irrelevant point. Sure, Dwight may not be quite his listed height, but neither are most of those opposing centers, so who cares? The two exaggerations cancel each other out.

For those who want true heights, especially without shoes, just use DX's database.

With pre-draft measurements becoming more and more commonplace, we should eventually have a list that has most current NBA players listed, which will completely kill the speculation and whining that comes along with it.

Or you know, we could stop obsessing about heights and just look at the results on the court.

Whether Dwight is 6'9'' or 6'10'' doesn't affect his effectiveness.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: