Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Not sure how anyone can say if he is "worth" it without seeing any numbers.....

    Now if you want to argue it is not fair, that is another point. But as others have said if you do not think it is fair go play better bball then D-Rose and get a better deal then what he has, or turn down the deal on principal of it not being fair. It is a free market

    I sat through a really neat seminar a few months back, and one of the things that was touched on was the production cost of appaprel, including athletic shoes. It was fascinating to see how much of a markup these companies have (starting at around 110%) and it is also fascinating to me that we continue to fund these companies.

    That said, I am as guilty as other. I used to have 16-18 pairs of basketball shoes, and if I won the lottery tomorrow I probably could easily go nuts and drop a couple a lot of $$$$ on shoes without thinking twice about it.

    That said, congrats to Rose. Seems he is have a good end to this year.

  2. #27
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Rose would be my favorite player in the league if he wasn't on the hated Bulls.. I really like him, he's fun to watch and is a pretty good guy from what ive seen.. As crazy as it may seem, I'm sure he will make them far more than $250 million over those 10 years..

    I always was a fan of Addidas more so than Nike, I liked their style better and I've always been a bit of a fan for the underdog.. Everyone used to wear Nike.. Glad to see Addidas and Rose have a good relationship.

  3. #28
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure how anyone can say if he is "worth" it without seeing any numbers.....

    Now if you want to argue it is not fair, that is another point. But as others have said if you do not think it is fair go play better bball then D-Rose and get a better deal then what he has, or turn down the deal on principal of it not being fair. It is a free market

    I sat through a really neat seminar a few months back, and one of the things that was touched on was the production cost of appaprel, including athletic shoes. It was fascinating to see how much of a markup these companies have (starting at around 110%) and it is also fascinating to me that we continue to fund these companies.

    That said, I am as guilty as other. I used to have 16-18 pairs of basketball shoes, and if I won the lottery tomorrow I probably could easily go nuts and drop a couple a lot of $$$$ on shoes without thinking twice about it.

    That said, congrats to Rose. Seems he is have a good end to this year.
    LOL...that's a lot of shoes. I'm cheap. I keep one pair of basketball shoes, and I typically buy the lightest and cheapest pair on the market. Ironic enough, I always ended up buying Converse shoes on an average of $50/pair. However, I never bought the Chuck Taylors. My old man used to love those shoes when he played basketball, but I'm scared of them. Personally, they don't seem to offer that much ankle support, but old man used to tell me all the time "That's why you tie them up very tight.".

  4. #29

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    If he's creating that kind of revenue for Adidas then obviously he's worth it. Anyone who argues that this is too much has no grasp of basic economics, or reality.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  6. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, no one is worth that for even playing a sport, let alone for representing a shoe for a sport.
    If his name/image/brand creates an extra $250 million in profits for Adidas over the life of the contract, then he is worth every penny. Simple econonmics/business.

  7. #31
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He earned it IMO though. Adidas really wasnt know for b ball shoe they have mainly known for soccer. Drose and his shoes has out sold Nike's Lebrons shoe that is quite the accomplishment IMO.

    I have never been a fan of the Lebrons they need better designers

    I will stick with my Jordans
    Totally agree - I was thinking at least they look decent unlike the Lebrons.

  8. #32
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed.

    I swear...these type of comments always bug me. I'm sorry, but this my biggest pet peeve. Just because a person don't have a college degree, it doesn't automatically mean the individual is stupid or lacking. I'm pretty sure that Rose knows how to spell contract.

    I don't have a college degree either (went to college collectively for 3 years), but I know that I have outperformed a LOT of people who do.
    Just for you info, I dont have a college education either. So I was not knocking people who dont go to college. Hell I dont even like the rule that you have to go to college 1 year before entering the NBA draft. Have you ever really listen to any of his interviews. Its obvious he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was just making a joke on him not be able to spell contract, maybe he can or cant. However I bet you never see him in a commercial about reading being fundamental.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  9. #33
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for you info, I dont have a college education either. So I was not knocking people who dont go to college. Hell I dont even like the rule that you have to go to college 1 year before entering the NBA draft. Have you ever really listen to any of his interviews. Its obvious he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was just making a joke on him not be able to spell contract, maybe he can or cant. However I bet you never see him in a commercial about reading being fundamental.
    Hmmmm...you're trying very hard to paint him as being stupid.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pH8PkrmF_o

    Seems like his reading skills are alright to me.

  10. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Age
    23
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    I wear KD shoes, actually got this most recent pair for free at a giveaway at the mall, KD is the man.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersFan1991 For This Useful Post:


  12. #35
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,120

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    I understand he brings in tons of money, and it is market value, etc. Economically it makes tons of sense, I agree. Probably won't make sense, but yes, it is a good deal for Adidas and Rose obviously, however it is ridiculous that he can get paid that much for nothing. I don't blame Adidas at all, but like others have said, I blame those who pay $100+ for $20 shoes.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  14. #36
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmmm...you're trying very hard to paint him as being stupid.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pH8PkrmF_o

    Seems like his reading skills are alright to me.
    There's a reason why they had a stand in for his SAT, wouldn't you say?
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  15. #37
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a reason why they had a stand in for his SAT, wouldn't you say?
    1) Speculation....

    2) Even then, not taking one test doesn't mean he can't read. Are you stating his elementary teachers knew he was going to be a future NBA player and passed him through? Use some common sense.

  16. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    I am good friends with two professional athletes, and while neither one of them will be confused with Harvard scholars it is an insult to them and their parents when people make blanket generalizations just because they are athletes.

    We get it, they are poor public speakers. We have public officials as have as the President who are great people but terrible orators, and we have people who are great orators but just plain dumb. I think it is highly unfair to judge someone based off of a snippet of their life, especially if they happens to be a few interviews after games and what you see/read on ESPN and in magazines.

    FWIW I graduated college and have gotten a decent job since graduation, but I absolutely suck at standardized tests. I am so bad at them I am paying for private tutoring as I try to take the LSAT, after bombing the SAT the one time I took them in high school. If one person is bad at standardized tests, I would think it would be fair to say many people could be, athletes or not.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  18. #39
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am good friends with two professional athletes, and while neither one of them will be confused with Harvard scholars it is an insult to them and their parents when people make blanket generalizations just because they are athletes.

    We get it, they are poor public speakers. We have public officials as have as the President who are great people but terrible orators, and we have people who are great orators but just plain dumb. I think it is highly unfair to judge someone based off of a snippet of their life, especially if they happens to be a few interviews after games and what you see/read on ESPN and in magazines.

    FWIW I graduated college and have gotten a decent job since graduation, but I absolutely suck at standardized tests. I am so bad at them I am paying for private tutoring as I try to take the LSAT, after bombing the SAT the one time I took them in high school. If one person is bad at standardized tests, I would think it would be fair to say many people could be, athletes or not.
    Just in case...

    Definition of ORATOR:

    1) one who delivers an oration
    2) one distinguished for skill and power as a public speaker

    Synonyms: lecturer, speaker

    Definition of ORATION:
    1) an elaborate discourse delivered in a formal and dignified manner

    I'm not going to lie...I had to look the word up myself, lol.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  20. #40
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) Speculation....

    2) Even then, not taking one test doesn't mean he can't read. Are you stating his elementary teachers knew he was going to be a future NBA player and passed him through? Use some common sense.
    Maybe I am wrong but isnt that why Memphis got into trouble with the NCAA as it was proven? If I am wrong then your right it is just speculation that had happened. Did i say he can't read when I was joking by the way? My gosh I'm sure he's not completely illiterate. Maybe as a Pacer fan and my hatred for the Bulls and their whole team got the best of me.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to trs72 For This Useful Post:


  22. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I am wrong but isnt that why Memphis got into trouble with the NCAA as it was proven? If I am wrong then your right it is just speculation that had happened. Did i say he can't read when I was joking by the way? My gosh I'm sure he's not completely illiterate. Maybe as a Pacer fan and my hatred for the Bulls and their whole team got the best of me.
    Boo and heckle the man all we can, I am all for that.

    I just do not like judging people when we only get a small snippet of their life (namely athletes and entertainers like actors). Not picking on you at all, just a minor peeve of mine

    Happy new years

  23. #42
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boo and heckle the man all we can, I am all for that.

    I just do not like judging people when we only get a small snippet of their life (namely athletes and entertainers like actors). Not picking on you at all, just a minor peeve of mine

    Happy new years
    OK, gosh I was beginning to think there were Bulls fans disquise as Pacer fans in here,lol. I agree, hell I m not that dam smart myself. There is probably no one that hates the Bulls as much as me and anyone associated with them. I did not care for Rose in college probably because of the scandal and playing for Calipari who always seems to be in the middle of something illegal, so I tend not to like his players either. I was just making a joke at the time but he dont seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer I think it what i said to begin with, cant remember. Trust me if I was near there bench during a game Rose and Noah would here it very loudly, and I dont even believe in doing that,lol. Rose, Noah and Ben Wallace just truely get on my nerves as well as Rip hamilton. I hate all those guys.

    Happy new years to you to
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  24. #43

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably won't make sense, but yes, it is a good deal for Adidas and Rose obviously, however it is ridiculous that he can get paid that much for nothing.
    He's not doing nothing, he's advertising a product and helping them make money. So really, he's getting paid that much for doing something.

    I don't blame Adidas at all, but like others have said, I blame those who pay $100+ for $20 shoes.
    And that Purdue shirt you're wearing probably cost about 8 cents to make. Everyone who buys name brand clothes in America pays a huge mark up over the actual cost.

    And just to be perfectly clear, that $20 is solely for the materials and labor. Nike spends far more than that per pair on design, marketing and RnD. You have to pay all the people who think up the shoes, who test the shoe, who model the shoe and who market the shoe.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  26. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    so for those who say it is ridiculous if Addias offered you that kind of money what would you say? "**** no I am not worth 250m I dont want it. I would be way overpaid" No you would take it he is worth it so he shouldn't settle for anything less.

  27. #45
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by trs72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a reason why they had a stand in for his SAT, wouldn't you say?
    SAT is not meant to be indicative of intelligence, IQ, anything like that. It (supposedly) evaluates readiness for college.

    Also, if you're calling someone stupid because of his performance on a test like the SAT, you're pretty much a

    Destructive

    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  28. #46
    Member trs72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Valparaiso
    Age
    42
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SAT is not meant to be indicative of intelligence, IQ, anything like that. It (supposedly) evaluates readiness for college.

    Also, if you're calling someone stupid because of his performance on a test like the SAT, you're pretty much a

    Destructive
    I do know what the SAT is used for and that it is not meant to evaluate someones IQ but but college readiness. What I was saying if you would have went back and maybe read more of the posts you might have a better understanding of what is being talk about. I was making a joke of the *** clown not being the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know he is no road scholar or do I know if he is illiterate. What i do know is he is a Bull and I dislike him and considering I see his ugly mug on TV all the time now that I live in NW IN. an have seen him talk it is obvious that he is not to bright. What the heck is wrong with you supposedly Pacer fans sticking up for the enemy. Hell another Hoops site i spend a lot of time on even had a actual very knowledable Bulls fan even say Rose's downfall is his IQ, and thats why he is not on the same level as some of the other players.
    When I die I want to be buried upside down so all my critics can kiss my @$$ - Bobby Knight

    I would walk thru hell in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball - Pete Rose

  29. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Derrick Rose gets 10yr 250m dollar shoe deal

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not doing nothing, he's advertising a product and helping them make money. So really, he's getting paid that much for doing something.



    And that Purdue shirt you're wearing probably cost about 8 cents to make. Everyone who buys name brand clothes in America pays a huge mark up over the actual cost.

    And just to be perfectly clear, that $20 is solely for the materials and labor. Nike spends far more than that per pair on design, marketing and RnD. You have to pay all the people who think up the shoes, who test the shoe, who model the shoe and who market the shoe.
    All good points.

    To be fair though, when I was younger I used to be a part of the Nike "test" team. It was a awesome gig where I got to test out the new products, but Nike basically got free R&D from kids who loved their products (all they really had to pay for was shipping, and then having some manager keep in touch with us and make sure we fill out our reports each week)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
  2. Team-By-Team Trade Outlook
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
  3. Batum: Derrick Rose 'Can't Play Defense'
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
  4. Let's Make A Deal
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
  5. Teams looking to trade for Jason Kidd (Insider)
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •