Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you want to rent Dwight?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Would you want to rent Dwight?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the Nash part it was a suggestion not need to go crazy about it

Again Lopez (with a broken foot by the way) and 5picks< Roy+DC+picks, Roy is equal of better than Lopez and DC is a least worth few picks right? if DC and Roy keep looking the way they are looking now I don't think is crazy to think that Orlando would take the deal.
    That's going crazy?

What kind of "picks" are you talking about, anyway? First rounder(s)? Second rounder(s)? A combination? How many? Are they protected? How are they protected? For how long?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That's going crazy?

What kind of "picks" are you talking about, anyway? First rounder(s)? Second rounder(s)? A combination? How many? Are they protected? How are they protected? For how long?
    2012,2014 number 1 picks, they are usually top 3 protected(I think), remember that the trade would be made without knowing if he is going to sign an extension with us, lowering his value a bit, now if you are sure he is going to do what CP3 did, then you trade more pieces for sure.

edit: Ok here is an article by ESPN reporting that it was two number ones+Lopez for Howard and Hedo

The New Jersey Nets are prepared to offer a trade package featuring Brook Lopez and two future first-round picks to acquire Dwight Howard before the Orlando Magic center becomes a free agent in July 2012, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that, to sweeten the proposal, New Jersey would likewise offer to take back the contract of Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu, who has three seasons left on his contract worth just under $35 million. Absorbing Turkoglu's remaining salary would become financially feasible for the Nets after the expected release of swingman Travis Outlaw through the amnesty clause that will be included in the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement and by including another smaller contract or two in the deal.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-30-2011 at 04:29 PM.

2012,2014 number 1 picks, they are usually top 3 protected(I think), remember that the trade would be made without knowing if he is going to sign an extension with us, lowering his value a bit, now if you are sure he is going to do what CP3 did, then you trade more pieces for sure.
    You can protect them anyway you like. I would give the 2012 pick (lottery protected, although that won't be necessary), but not the 2014 pick or any other first rounder. We trade several young players and Howard leaves, then that pick could be very nice. For a gamble, it's not worth it. As much as I'd love to take a chance on someone like Dwight Howard, it would have to be at a very low price.

edit: Ok here is an article by ESPN reporting that it was two number ones+Lopez for Howard and Hedo
    If I cared, I would find an ESPN article with a more recent date that says 5 first rounders+Lopez. Thought it was pretty common knowledge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Got it

http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/12/1...gerald-wallace

Wojnarowski: Gerald Wallace / Dwight Howard Trade Talks Dead?

Update (11:18 A.M.): Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that "Orlando has ended trade talks for Dwight Howard... Magic decided to take Dwight Howard off market, ending talks with Nets and the rest of his NBA suitors for now."

Chad Ford of ESPN.com reports: "Nets offered everything they could for Howard: Brook Lopez + FIVE 1st Rd picks. Theirs in 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 + Rockets 2012 pick."

The news comes roughly one hour before the media availability portion of Portland Trail Blazers training camp practice is set to open on Wednesday.

Sam Amick of SI.com confirms the report (note this has been updated after the trade talks reportedly died.
    ------------------------
    The deal would have sent Howard, small forward Hedo Turkoglu and point guard Chris Duhon to the Nets; Blazers small forward Gerald Wallace, Nets centers Brook Lopez and Johan Petro, and possibly a first-round draft pick to the Magic; and a whopping four first-round draft picks to the Blazers.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Holy crap 5 first round picks from the nets and they said no? I guess they really meant it when they said they weren't going to let Howard walk.

ah..I see 4 of those would have went to the blazers...meh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Holy crap 5 first round picks from the nets and they said no? I guess they really meant it when they said they weren't going to let Howard walk.
    Blazers backed out I heard. Because Wallace has been their leader and has amazing work ethic. They didnt want to trade the heart and soul of there team.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...e-trade-p.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...york-not-miami

@WojYahooNBA
    Adrian Wojnarowski
    Privately, Portland believes Gerald Wallace has evolved into Blazer "heart and soul" and are hesitant to move him for picks and cap space.

Would I trade for Dwight right now?

No. We don't even know what we have as our current roster stands. I'd like to see what this group becomes first.

If come the trade deadline we're 5-10 games below .500 then its a whole different story.

Ask me again in March.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Howard isn't giving up $50M. If we traded for him now, he'd resign with us.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Howard isn't giving up $50M. If we traded for him now, he'd resign with us.
    He makes that up in endorsements. It would hurt to pass that up but he can if he wants he makes a lot off the court.

No, it's lost money. An endorsement is an endorsement. I'd be shocked if he turned down an extra $50M which is probably why Orlando widened up and took him off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg View Post
    Would you want to rent Dwight?
    no. your frontline is already strong and deep. what you want to do is get rid of granger and replace him with a better scorer. (any suggestions?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    i. I'd rather have what the 90's Pacers had than that, even if the never do make/win a Finals. I'd rather have a team that can make the conference finals multiple times so at least there's an extended run where any given series could end up going your way, where you would then be right there with at least a shot at it.

Use what we have now (this roster, this cap space, picks) to get 1 or 2 more pieces and run with that for the next handful of years, tweaking if .
    This 1000 times I want to see them win a championship of course, but not to throw away what should be a good competitive run over many years, for what just as likely amounts to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He makes that up in endorsements. It would hurt to pass that up but he can if he wants he makes a lot off the court.
    He's making endorsement money either way though, right? So it's still 50m less.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Howard nees to be strategic and go to another small market team or Stern and Gilbert will block the trade. What a joke. They're all about money.
    Please don't advertise without permission.

As others have stated, hell no.

At this moment and time, I'm not entertaining any trade rumors. We HAVE a team now. They can only get better with the passage of time.

5 players over time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Howard for half a season.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    Howard nees to be strategic and go to another small market team or Stern and Gilbert will block the trade. What a joke. They're all about money.
    No he won't, the league does not own the team. The later clippers deal shows Stern was right.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

If we make a solid run in the playoffs this year, I'm not sure why Dwight or any top free agent wouldn't want to come here in the offseason. We have the cap space and the supporting talent to be title contenders with any top free agent signing next summer.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    If we make a solid run in the playoffs this year, I'm not sure why Dwight or any top free agent wouldn't want to come here in the offseason. We have the cap space and the supporting talent to be title contenders with any top free agent signing next summer.
    That's the dream, at least.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He's making endorsement money either way though, right? So it's still 50m less.
    Yes, this. I hate when people use that "he'll make it up in endorsements" rationale. They are going to get them anyways, and playing in big markets doesn't make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    That is a big IF. And the only thing that will probably make Dwight stay long term is if we reach the finals and at worst make a long series with the other finalist. He had a preference in terms of location. His team has consecutively made the playoffs with 1 finals appearance and still he's asking to leave. The best way to get him is through the free agency and convince him with the current team's run (not sure if he's restricted).

Can't hurt to offer him and/or Deron Williams a max contract this offseason. If they come, great. If they don't, oh well we weren't a favorite to get them anyway. I wouldn't trade away our extremely bright future to get Howard for a year. I'm enthusiastic about our frontcourt.

Just like Westbrook, this is pointless and has zero percent chance of happening.