Thread: Technical Question

Default Technical Question

All,

I've inferred from some of your posts that at least one or two of you listen to our broadcasts while watching the telecast on FSN. One of the local watering holes would like to use our audio with FSN video this season, and I told the owner I would research this, though with the delay I wasn't sure how to sync these broadcasts.

Help?

MJB

P.S.: I was in Ripple Bagle and Deli for lunch today. This is one of the menu boards on the wall there. Check out the sandwich halfway down...it may not be the same as getting the court named, but it's something, no?

http://ow.ly/i/oEPf

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Technical Question

I actually researched the time-delay issue as part of my grad school studies several years ago. It's tough. I'm not sure what you can do other than follow the internet stream of the radio broadcast (which has a slight delay, just like the satellite TV broadcast) and do some manual syncing between the TV DVR and the audio stream (by pausing and restarting).

Maybe Slick can yell "Boom!" at the moment of the tip-off or something so the stream can sync up? ;-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Also Mark, I know you might not have much if any influence over this, but it would be great if NBA League Pass (which has both radio and TV broadcast feeds) provided an option for the internet broadcasts for users to pick a radio feed as their audio option as a substitute for the TV audio. This is really the ideal technical solution to this problem IMO, although I realize it's probably a licensing impossibility at the moment and would require the solution to happen on the NBA side of things.
    Last edited by rabid; 12-29-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Mark, what I used to do is pause my TV until it was in sync with your broadcast. Sometimes I had to do it several times to get it right, but I always thought it worth it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Will, good thought on pausing the game on a DVR.....although this would have to be manually done every game...which could be a hassle. I have Comcast, so I have a HD DVR that you can pause the game.

Mr. Boyle, in the end....my guess is that there is no 'easy' way to do it...it would have to be some 'patch work' method that would not be pretty.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark,

One of the local radio stations in Bloomington that play the IU games have been advertising lately something called a Sports Sync Radio. You can pause the radio instead of the TV signal to match up. Apparently this station swears by it.

Here is their site, it's worth a look.

http://www.sportsyncradio.com/

After doing some research it's capable of being plugged into stereo and PA systems like mentioned in your original post.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-30-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Duke's solution wont work as it does the opposite of what you want to do and only has a 16 seconds gap, while the nba stream and radio are further apart.

It will work the way Wil said, I have tried it with the internet feeds, but you can't run both tv and audio streams on 1 pc, i will give it a try the awy game with 2 pc's but I assume for a wateringhole it will all become somewhat more difficult.

Problem lies mainly in the fact there is no "CUE" to set the sync to and the fact that the delay between radio and leaguepass stream can be as much as 5 minutes.

Also if using stream, loss of connection, buffering, etc all make the game go out of sync again.

(in short a lot of work for no result when you use a stream instead of cable or satelite)

I'll be honest, if the tv comments upset me to much, i switch to radio and go to bed to listen, but I am in the UK so that bed thing is never bad at the times we play
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Duke's solution wont work as it does the opposite of what you want to do and only has a 16 seconds gap, while the nba stream and radio are further apart.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Duke's solution does EXACTLY what Mark wants it to do.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Mark, what I used to do is pause my TV until it was in sync with your broadcast. Sometimes I had to do it several times to get it right, but I always thought it worth it.
    Ditto

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't live in Indiana so I can't use Duke's solution. I have to use an internet feed.

My other problem is not technical: if I'm on the TV, my wife demands the computer, so I can't listen to Boyle and the sandwich king.

This is a bigger issue this year, as road games are also intolerable now (if you know what I mean ). Hopefully, the other team's broadcast will be available.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I've always found the TV to be behind the radio broadcast, not in front. I've heard the SportSync radio can do it, and I found a link to a webpage with instructions on how to do it through a computer:

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/radiodelay.html

NOTE: I have never tried the webpage instructions!! Just thought someone might find it useful.
    Danger Zone

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    All,

I've inferred from some of your posts that at least one or two of you listen to our broadcasts while watching the telecast on FSN. One of the local watering holes would like to use our audio with FSN video this season, and I told the owner I would research this, though with the delay I wasn't sure how to sync these broadcasts.

Help?

MJB

P.S.: I was in Ripple Bagle and Deli for lunch today. This is one of the menu boards on the wall there. Check out the sandwich halfway down...it may not be the same as getting the court named, but it's something, no?

It is the only way I've watched games for years now. TV down, and Boyle-Leonard full blast.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds like an amazing sandwich?

Do they deliver to Canada (just go East on 62nd to Binford, go straight to I69 and just keep going)???
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think Duke's solution does EXACTLY what Mark wants it to do.
    The online tv stream is between 2 and 5 minutes delayed to allow for buffering this can grow worse during the game and sometimes catches up during commercial breaks, which are blacked out on stream.

if the bar uses "normal" tv (sat/cable) then it "may" work, but so does Wil's solution as i said

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How will the Sync radio not work? It's a local over the air radio station with a standard cable or satellite feed. The OP never mentioned Internet feeds of any kind...

Look, if the local radio stations in Bloomington are pushing it for the IU games (which are mostly on the Big Ten Network and not local TV) how will this not work?!

Readin back i have no clue where i inferred streams, but ata your solution works, as i said.
    (though i would always be weary of the 16 sec max gap, your 1 wardrobe malfunction away from a sync-dysfunction)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Readin back i have no clue where i inferred streams, but ata your solution works, as i said.
    (though i would always be weary of the 16 sec max gap, your 1 wardrobe malfunction away from a sync-dysfunction)
    People started to bring up LP feeds over the net, but given that this is a BAR I assume they have DirecTV and then want to push the radio into a digital delay like the hardware/software Duke mentioned, or use a network radio stream and pause it instead. It's got a speaker like a small AM radio would, but the bar will want to connect the headphone jack back into their amplifiers L/R input (whichever they choose).

Pausing Dish doesn't fix the problem as the radio is already AHEAD of the dish feed, not behind. I assume Will has internet involved for radio which is where the delay comes in.

But if you flip on 1070 live in a bar you'll need to delay it.

Another option is Mark can just call the game with his own delay. So Mark, just wait 20 seconds to make every call and try not to forget what just happened all the time.

I mean isn't there already a delay between the action and when the light actually reaches you up in the rafters now? What you are seeing happen actually happened on the court a long time ago, like light from stars.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-31-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    All,

Help?

MJB

Moe and Johnnies?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports