Thread: Pacers Weekly starts tonight at 530 on 1070

Default Pacers Weekly starts tonight at 530 on 1070

Mark Boyle's new show is not a call-in show, though he said you could send questions to the show's twitter account, @PacersWeekly , and he has several guests lined up including Vogel, Mike Breen, and Quinn Buckner.

Default Re: Pacers Weekly starts tonight at 530 on 1070

Alright! Pacers getting some love from the local radio. I swear i was gonna start boycotting this station if I had to hear another 3 hour show from DD and JMV about the worst team in football. Even last year after the Colts season was done, they would still spend have their shows talking about the Colts, right in the middle of the NBA season.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why hasn't anyone called for this show to be named, "An Evening with Mark Boyle"?

That alone has me entertained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone know if this will be available via podcast?

@Pacers24Colts12

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know if this will be available via podcast?
    Ask them on twitter. If it's on 1070 I would imagine. The Jim O'Brien Show was available on podcast up until it's demise.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Alright! Pacers getting some love from the local radio. I swear i was gonna start boycotting this station if I had to hear another 3 hour show from DD and JMV about the worst team in football.
    I like to think we've covered the Pacers pretty damn well since the lockout ended. Colts have probably gotten more time dedicated to them because their season is currently on-going, while the Pacers hadn't yet started up. But I bet in the upcoming weeks, our shows will start gearing more towards Pacers and local college basketball.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been looking for a podcast of this but can't find it. Anyone know where it is or have a copy?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I like to think we've covered the Pacers pretty damn well since the lockout ended. Colts have probably gotten more time dedicated to them because their season is currently on-going, while the Pacers hadn't yet started up. But I bet in the upcoming weeks, our shows will start gearing more towards Pacers and local college basketball.
    I get what you are saying, and I realize that you have to sort hit the same topics multiple times over the course of a 3 hour show as listeners turnover.

But it seems like your station's daily shows seem to mention the Pacers in passing in contrast to the depth that you will cover an up comming Colts loss.
    You build your entire week discussing the up coming Colts games, spending segments on the other teams QB or defense, and you'll have analysts on discussing the match up every week.
    We be great if you could spend that kind of effort on the Pacers. Talk about the opposing teams and the match ups. Bring on an analyst or 2 to break down the games. Analyze the wins and losses. As opposed to the usual one or 2 bylines about this or that game.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

You go where the audience is. And right now, the audience is stuck on the freaking Colts.
    Same reason IU generally gets more coverage than Purdue.

Ironically probably half the reason Boyle won't do call-ins. Half the audience would want to talk Colts and how Jim Caldwell is the devil incarnate on a Pacers show!
    Last edited by Sandman21; 01-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Boyle, if you're reading this, I have to ask:

On a recent radio appearance, you refused to take call-ins in somewhat of an awkward way that JMV called you out on. You're also not taking calls for this show.

What's the thinking behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Boyle, if you're reading this, I have to ask:

On a recent radio appearance, you refused to take call-ins in somewhat of an awkward way that JMV called you out on. You're also not taking calls for this show.

What's the thinking behind this?

Far be it from me to speak for Mark, but I've heard him address this before. Callers to sports talk radio show don't add much to the proceeding. Hopefully Mark will chime in.

My opinion is I completely agree with Mark. I would much rather have a decent media person interview coaches than callers. I think the best sports talk shows are those that don't take calls. I just don't find they add much and they usually subtract from the show. There might be an exception once in a great while.

He does take questions from Twitter, though.

I'm sure if/when he sees this he'll answer for himself, but I think removing the call-in aspect makes for a much better show. You don't have to screen callers, you don't have the show grind to a halt every time a caller stammers, loses connection/signal, is nervous, slow, etc. Plus as Unclebuck points out you now don't have to worry about bad questions or otherwise comments that don't really enhance the show.

I also think going to Twitter instead is superior because now instead of screening callers Boyle just has to pick a Tweet off of his iPad/iPhone, and instead of hoping the caller is calm, clear, and articulate, you have a professional radio man reading the words instead. Keeps things humming along nicely.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

There is some loss when you don't have call-in, because every once in a while you get someone asking the hard questions that the host won't ask. I'm not sure how you balance keeping the idiots out without also getting rid of the ability for someone NOT dependent on access to the team/ownership to ask the questions that need asking.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    There is some loss when you don't have call-in, because every once in a while you get someone asking the hard questions that the host won't ask. I'm not sure how you balance keeping the idiots out without also getting rid of the ability for someone NOT dependent on access to the team/ownership to ask the questions that need asking.
    "Coach O'Brien, why do you continue to play Murphy when he has the worst +/- on the team when you've gone on the record to emphasize that a good +/- is necessary to win games?"

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Alright! Pacers getting some love from the local radio. I swear i was gonna start boycotting this station if I had to hear another 3 hour show from DD and JMV about the worst team in football. Even last year after the Colts season was done, they would still spend have their shows talking about the Colts, right in the middle of the NBA season.
    They've been talking about the Pacers more and if they were to talk about the Colts, it'd be to make fun of them.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He does take questions from Twitter, though.

I'm sure if/when he sees this he'll answer for himself, but I think removing the call-in aspect makes for a much better show. You don't have to screen callers, you don't have the show grind to a halt every time a caller stammers, loses connection/signal, is nervous, slow, etc. Plus as Unclebuck points out you now don't have to worry about bad questions or otherwise comments that don't really enhance the show.

I also think going to Twitter instead is superior because now instead of screening callers Boyle just has to pick a Tweet off of his iPad/iPhone, and instead of hoping the caller is calm, clear, and articulate, you have a professional radio man reading the words instead. Keeps things humming along nicely.
    Thanks, I presumed I'd hear something from him like this, but when he was a guest on the JMV show (I think it was on location), he refused them in a way that people could have perceived it differently then that.

I'm not one to call in and ask a question, but I do think that a savvy audience can bring out good content from a guest. It seems a bit brash to not allow any call-ins as an overarching rule. It seems more level-headed to say "no crappy/non-prepared calls".

A better screening process (perhaps instigated on Twitter?) seems better than nothing at all. My guess is that many of the posters here on PD would have really great questions of guests if the process was structured to screen the puffball callers. A process that might result in no call-ins for a given night.

All,

Uncle Buck has accurately stated my feelings on the matter. And as far as asking the necessary questions is concerned, I would respectfully submit that my track record over the years suggests that I am more willing than most to address such issues.

Thanks.

MJB