Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Raptors postgame thread

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers/Raptors postgame thread

I am not going to look forward to the **** ton of road games for this stretch of the season... Road games just aren't as enjoyable and relaxing as home games to me.

Anyways, everyone looked good except for Dahntay. I feel like he really screwed our flow up with embarrassing defense and clogging our offense up. It's fine that he's our fourth wing, but when he is playing with twos that defer such as Hill and Paul despite being much better it just corrupts our offensive flow big time. I'm looking forward to the day when Paul George plays all backup three minutes and Hill does the same for the backup two minutes. That would mean that Lance takes care of most of the backup point minutes, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Paul George looked really good. I think that by next year he will be ahead of David and Danny, and I'm looking forward to that.

Lou has a rare knack to go balls out for a loose ball, maybe more so than Tyler and that is awesome. He played good defense and I think I'm going to like him despite what seems to be a bad touch around the rim.

This isnt a game we win last year, that's for sure. Danny and David came up huge and that is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 12-28-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Defense is always ahead of the offense early in the season and when you consider in normal years teaMs are usually in their 5th or 6th preseason game at ths point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I thought the ball movement tonight was pretty good. If we keep it up, one of our biggest weaknesses will be marginalized.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I think the concern is that Vogel might not know how to design a good offense. Too soon to tell, of course, but there are some lingering concerns from last season there.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An interesting stat of the early season (according to the Pacers' website): The Pacers are now 2-0 on the season despite failing to reach 40% shooting in either game (they shot 36.8% against DET, 39.5% against TOR). Prior to this season, they had lost 31 straight when they didn't reach the 40% threshold.

That is what making the playoffs and playing one of the best defensive teams will do for you.
    That and having Frank Vogel as your coach.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. I think that game came down to the last Pacers possession. David West was the absolute clear leader. He clearly waived Danny to the corner and Paul George to the left side of the court so he could run that pick and pop with DC.

I feel like last year that would have been a 1 pass possession with a wing either shooting a contested jump shot, or dribbling in to a double team resulting in a turnover.

David West is definitely the leader the team was looking for.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I think the concern is that Vogel might not know how to design a good offense. Too soon to tell, of course, but there are some lingering concerns from last season there.

I agree, although I think the entire second half of the season was a honeymoon...not one with much concerns of this nature. But I think this is a valid point now and my biggest concern isn't Vogel. It's whether DC can initiate an offense consistently and effectively. I do think DC took a step forward on D...so props to him on that.

But his ability to lead the offense, at least to me, is a huge question mark. We have guys like Granger, West, Hans George and even Hibbert who can shoot well. We now need someone or something to get these guys open looks.

Edit: BTW, I am very much aware he hit double figures on assists. I don't look at stats though. I am looking at how these guys are getting their shots within the flow of the offense. I think the jury is out....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    He might be taking this smashmouth thing a bit too far. Too often you see the guards trying to force the ball inside to Hibbert, West, or Hansbrough at the expense of the offense. Everyone is standing around as this happens.

I've been particularly pleased with DC's 3pt shooting this year.. He said he was really working on adding the 3 to his arsenal, and he has definitely shown that it is paying off dividends..

I also wanted to mention that I love seeing Lou out there in the Foster role... Seriously.. that guy is scrappy , and does everything he can to go after the ball..
    My new nickname for him is Scrappy-Loo, ya know like Scrappy-Doo ... heh
    He is definitely a difference maker in his role off the bench... It looks like he is healthy so far, and we may be getting the Phx era Lou ...

I am sure I will comment on the rest of the guys later in the thread, but I just wanted to mention what was on my mind at this very moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Some love from Bill Simmons:

I continue to like the Pacers. They are REALLY good. Built for this shortened season. Will get to #2 in East if Bulls can't get going.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wu-Gambino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post

I continue to like the Pacers. They are REALLY good. Built for this shortened season. Will get to #2 in East if Bulls can't get going.
    I think the Heat and Bulls are clearly 1 and 2 in the East, but I think we could take the 3 seed, I really do. We have to get better and the offense certainly has to improve, but it's not completely insane.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

It's worth noting again for everybody who wants to see Granger given away so PG24 and Tyler can get more burn: Both of those guys missed an important and hittable shot in the last 90 seconds, while Granger nailed two threes to ensure the win.

I like both kids and think the future is bright, but we still need Danny Granger.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

19. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I thought the ball movement tonight was pretty good. If we keep it up, one of our biggest weaknesses will be marginalized.
    Very true. One thing this team will apparently not have a problem with is sharing the ball.

Unfortunately, it also appears that our new biggest weakness may be overpassing.

I'd venture to say that we had 4-5 3 second violations resulting from overpassing. Hibbert was positioning in the lane to go after a rebound and instead of the shot being taken, we took an extra pass or two. Next thing you know, Hibbert is being whistled for a lane violation.

But, we'll get that sorted out, I'm sure. Anyway, small price to pay for a victory.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Please do not disregard the fact that Collision was stellar defensively. Like LoneGranger said, save for the Jose drive, he was stellar. I really liked his game. Controlled and calculated.

Roy was consistent on the block in comparison to last year.

Danny and David were clutch. We held a lead, with our leaders playing consistently.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

It's also worth noting that people who want to trade Granger recognize he is marketable. Nobody rational would give him away. The question is whether you want to build a contender where the best talent on the team enters their prime years about the same time. That might be the only way this team wins a championship. Granger is in his prime now and he will be in decline about the time Paul George is entering his prime. That makes a case for moving Granger sometime soon for younger talent. JMHO.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It's worth noting again for everybody who wants to see Granger given away ....
    "Given away"?
    Maybe EJ, Rondo - not much else.

IMO DC may actually be our most "attractive asset" now (age/ position/ contract).
    DG would still get some love from a contender (BOS/Rondo?, LAL - but now way Bynum is offered & we dont need Gasol @ $19m!), or a "up & commer" (MIN/ likely a "3rd tea," in a deal - though I like D.Williams) needing to make a statement to fans &/or a soon-to-be FA (K.Love), or maybe a team w/ a better player/fit (NOH/EJ), again not likely as we see ourselves as contenders (of sorts) now.

Add Rondo &/or EJ to what we have w/ Danny, while giving up DC/picks/cap, & we are REAL serious players NOW!
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 12-28-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's also worth noting that people who want to trade Granger recognize he is marketable. Nobody rational would give him away. The question is whether you want to build a contender where the best talent on the team enters their prime years about the same time. That might be the only way this team wins a championship. Granger is in his prime now and he will be in decline about the time Paul George is entering his prime. That makes a case for moving Granger sometime soon for younger talent. JMHO.
    Disagree! That's just pure speculation. Look at Pierce, he's still a force. Reggie was still a force when he was almost 40. Players are staying in their prime longer than they used to because they take better care of themselves.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
    Phoenix is the worst team in the West. Time to start the "Steve Nash to Indiana for Darren Collison and a future protected #1" bandwagon.
    Ha. I'd do it if we could get 3 good years out of Nash. Risky though.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post

I love the Blue and Gold, but #2 is a stretch under ideal circumstances. But Orlando and Boston look very beatable so far.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Disagree! That's just pure speculation. Look at Pierce, he's still a force. Reggie was still a force when he was almost 40. Players are staying in their prime longer than they used to because they take better care of themselves.
    I don't think Danny will be in his "prime" when he's 33, but I don't think his game will have declined very much. In fact many aspects of his game should be more refined at that point. As long as he stays healthy, I agree that he's looking at a Paul Pierce-ish trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Ha. I'd do it if we could get 3 good years out of Nash. Risky though.
    Jesus I wouldn't. I've always loved Nash's game but the dude's almost 38. Unless we're seriously contending this season no way I'd send Collison and any 1st round pick. That's just me though.

PG is probably my fav player, he was my draft pick, and he's really progressing, BUT he made numerous bad plays in the game. Not to mention his "D" on DeRozen the 2nd half was almost non-existant. DeRozen scored all his points in the 2nd half. No one played errorless, and the team won. That's what counts.

Heads up for Saturday night: Brandon Knight had a really good game even tho the Pistons lost. Whoever guards him had better put the clamps on his 3pt shooting, b/c as we saw Monday he can shoot them. I watched some of the Cavs/Piston game, and the Pistons got a nice pick in the draft with him to go with Monroe to build for the future.

That was one of the best games I have seen DC play as a Pacer. David West is just what this team needed.

I thought this game was great fun to watch. Good defense and energy and we were ready to win by 20. Then Derozan channeled his inner Larry Bird and actually made a game of it. Good game.

Thoughts:

-Granger struggled with shot selection the whole game, but hit two absolute daggers late.

-Loved what DWest did, just a rock solid big man who can go inside and out, and it's looking like the jumper is back.

-Hibbert had some great moves once he established position to get closer to the rim. I also thought he had some great defensive plays near the rim where he went straight up instead of fouling like he would've in past seasons.

-Collison was huge. Big steals, pushed the tempo when necessary and looked to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    Jesus I wouldn't. I've always loved Nash's game but the dude's almost 38. Unless we're seriously contending this season no way I'd send Collison and any 1st round pick. That's just me though.
    I totally respect that view, it'd be a risky move. But our 1st rounder won't have as much value this year if we're really contenders for the 3 or 4 seed. And we don't have much room left in the rotation for a young guy, unless it's a backup 5 I guess. So assuming that the 1st doesn't land us a crucial player, the trade is essentially DC for Nash.

Not that one game is any definite indication, but Nash dropped 14 and 12 on great shooting in his first game this year, which is what he always does. For 3 years of near-MVP-level Nash, I would do it. I like DC. He's a good player, but he's not irreplaceable. He's arguably the worst starting PG in our division (D-Rose, Kyrie, Jennings, Stuckey).

It's interesting to think about. Quite unlikely to happen, but I'd probably roll the dice if it could.