Thread: MikeWells: David Morway, Pacers not looking to ad more players

Banned

Default MikeWells: David Morway, Pacers not looking to ad more players

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
    Pacers general manager David Morway said they're not looking to add anybody to roster despite only having 11 healthy players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: MikeWells: David Morway, Pacers not looking to ad more players

They're really holding onto that cap space and open roster spots to hit a home run around the trade deadline. It's the only explanation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd still like to see them add another big body for depth.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd still like to see them add another big body for depth.
    Same here.

Thought they were interested in a player or two still in China. I know you can't get them until their contracts are up but maybe that's why they're holding off getting more players now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would love to add Chandler and/or Martin. I don't know that I am interested in Smith. Smith is a SG and scorer, which is what we were looking for recently.

I am glad that we are standing pat. I think we are in a great position to make a much bigger move through a trade with our current situation.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't mind adding another big man on a 10 day contract. But I don't think they can do that this early in the season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Until March.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Until March.
    HoooooWheeeeee! If we could add Wilson Chandler to this squad....

Mood

I'm glad they're sitting tight for now, but I really do wonder what is up the FO's sleeves... This team is a lot of fun to watch right now, and the fanbase has really grown to like a lot of these guys. If there's a plan to make a deal, it had better be a big time, big ticket, superstar kind of player. Obviously, we all want to win, but breaking up what this team is building for someone less than DHoward or DWill level players is really going to be hard to swallow.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...p-start-season

TORONTO -- The Indiana Pacers believe their depth will carry them this season. At the moment, though, the Pacers don't have it.

Health issues with Jeff Foster (back) and Jeff Pendergraph (knee) have left the Pacers with only 11 players.

Despite the shortage of bodies, the Pacers are not looking to add to the roster.

"It's only concerning if the two Jeffs don't get healthy soon," Pacers general manager David Morway said. "We're confident they're going to be fine and we'll be fully healthy soon. Certainly we have the flexibility to add another player if that's something we want to do."

Foster did not make the trip to Toronto for Wednesday's game against the Raptors. Instead, he visited Dan Dyrek, the team's physical therapist consultant. Foster hopes to return next week.

Pendergraph has been out since early in training camp with a sprain in his right knee. His goal is to start practicing next week.

"That's why we got Lou (Amundson)," Pacers coach Frank Vogel said. "He gives us depth now."

Vogel plans to continue to use a three-man rotation of David West, Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough at power forward and center, with West sliding to center when Hibbert goes to the bench.

Amundson will play more when one of the others has foul trouble or is fatigued. He had two rebounds in nine minutes in his first action as a Pacer.

"I'm just taking advantage of this situation where I feel like our three bigs are fully rested," Vogel said.

Teams can carry as many as 15 players. The Pacers chose to go with the league minimum of 13.

"We weren't necessarily looking at going with just 13 players to start the season," Morway said. "That was the group we felt most comfortable with. There's a thought with this season and the number of games we're playing in a short period of time that we might need to add a 14th guy at some point down the road."

Mood

I would like to see Scrappy Lou get some more minutes so that RH, DW, & TH don't get winded. This season is going to be hectic, so I just hope Vogel keeps a very close eye on the fatigue level of those three. When Foster and Pendergraph get healthy, I would expect Jeff to be ahead of Lou, but I also want to keep him healthy for the playoffs.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Hopefully we can be a third team and land a guy that we really need. Another big or a shooter.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I could see spending 1m for a big, maybe a 6'10"+ PF/C to ensure depth. It would be nice if he could rebound and block shots.

Oh wait.

I mean we were all worried about using Foster for depth due to the reality of his age/back. And signing another 2 bigs coming off of injury doesn't improve that risk.

If we have to face front courts like the Bulls without Jeff or Pendy healthy, it's going to be an issue. If Roy catches 4 fouls in the first half of any game the team is in big trouble.

How about we trade DJones for Jerome Jordan? Too bad the Knicks wouldn't do it. OTOH we will have a crap low first round pick this year (finally) that you might be able to use to tease a player away from someone. I'd be thrilled if you could get NYC to swap your #20-22 pick (or lower) for Jordan.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I could see spending 1m for a big, maybe a 6'10"+ PF/C to ensure depth. It would be nice if he could rebound and block shots.

Oh wait.

I mean we were all worried about using Foster for depth due to the reality of his age/back. And signing another 2 bigs coming off of injury doesn't improve that risk.

If we have to face front courts like the Bulls without Jeff or Pendy healthy, it's going to be an issue. If Roy catches 4 fouls in the first half of any game the team is in big trouble.

How about we trade DJones for Jerome Jordan? Too bad the Knicks wouldn't do it. OTOH we will have a crap low first round pick this year (finally) that you might be able to use to tease a player away from someone. I'd be thrilled if you could get NYC to swap your #20-22 pick (or lower) for Jordan.
    I would love to find a way to trade Dahntay for a big. Then have Lance play some minutes to see if he's a long term fit for the team.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

It's not easy to get quality rotation bigs, and I doubt very much D Jones will net us one. Even middling bigs get overvalued unreasonably. It's one reason I don't object to the Rush-Amundson trade.

If we're looking for bigs on the cheap, we're pretty much restricted to projects like Pendergraph or Magnum Rolle or yes Jerome Jordan (sorry Seth, I don't think I'd give up even a crappy first for him). Or maybe retreads like Solo Jones. Yes, he's still unsigned - big surprise.

Best chance IMO is if someone shakes free in the trade market. We certainly have the cap space to facilitate trades, which is a welcome change.