Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hibbert vs. Smits

Default Re: Hibbert vs. Smits

I will tell you one short experience;

couple of years ago, i was in indy to watch some games, one night Peck and famliy were kind enough to let me tag along after the game for some wings.
    Now i don't remember the name of the place, but I do remember they had a classic pacer game on, and Smits was playing Ewing.

The most remarkable remark that evening were Peck's words; "Smits sure played a hell of a lot tougher then i remember!"
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I'd actually like to wait and see how Hibbert plays next to a legit starting PF for a season (well, a shortened season in this case...) before I make any comparisons.

Smits absolutely faced tougher competition at his position, but he also benefited from playing alongside the Davis enforcers inside.

I've felt bad for Roy being all alone inside much of the time, especially in the JOB days. It was not that difficult to draw fouls on Roy when he's the only guy in the paint and isn't exactly blessed with the quickest feet anyway. I think this team is MUCH faster and stronger in the paint now compared to previous seasons, which I think will greatly benefit Roy.
    Last edited by IndyPacer; 12-29-2011 at 02:28 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Smits was better. He was unguardable offensively
    I agree.

Roy is a little better as a shot blocker and rebounder, and more than a little better defending in the post.

But Rik was an unstoppable scoring machine right out of the gate. Who's stopping a guy that tall on a turn around baseline jumper?

Just go get the Pacers DVD and watch the 8 in 8.9 game. It's 47 minutes of the Rik Smits show followed by Reggie stealing the limelight with the only big scoring he did all game. They just let Rik punish Ewing all night.

However Roy does have talent and could still be developing and finding his game. He does have hints of Rik-caliber to him where you'd count on 16-8 every night.

The most remarkable remark that evening were Peck's words; "Smits sure played a hell of a lot tougher then i remember!"
    Peck has questionable memory on a lot of the good old days, at least when it comes to toughness. He was blinded by love.

Was linked to an article in the height thread, which had a link to a different article talking about Dwight Howard, comparing him to centers of old. He was specifically compared to Smits in fact. Found this part of it very relevant in comparing Smits to Hibbert as well.

There is truth to the notion that big men aren't what they used to be. Compared to '90s centers, Howard is less visibly involved in his team’s offense. Below, I’ve listed some career-best usage percentage (percentage of a team's plays used by one player) years from notable bigs:

Patrick Ewing: 31.5, 95-96
    David Robinson: 32.0, 93-94
    Shaquille O’Neal: 32.9, 97-98
    Hakeem Olajuwon: 31.9, 95-96
    Rik Smits: 29.2, 97-98
    Dwight Howard: 27.2, 10-11

So the best center of this generation, the one teams are ready to gut their rosters for, is less involved offensively than a healthy Rik Smits was. I think some would look at this and lament how we’ve lost our centers, how we’ve stopped making them like we stopped making quality cars, football stadiums, and every other pride signifier in this handbasket-to-hell nation.

I’ll disagree -- respectfully. We never stopped producing quality centers -- we just changed their environment. Back in the '90s, illegal defense rules allowed big men to work with some freedom. Re-appropriating from a piece I wrote on illegal defense’s impact:

These days, it’s commonly said that defenders should be connected “on a string,” their movements inextricably linked. A little over one decade ago, this wasn’t the case. Perimeter defenders were bound to whomever they guarded, and guard-defender units would orbit a dribbling post player like single electrons an atom’s periphery. If there was a “string,” then it connected man to marker.

Occasionally, the defender could break off to double-team this dribbling post player, but, that defensive player could only return to his original mark. Picture Reggie Miller racing over to harmlessly flail at a posting Patrick Ewing, then sprinting back to the three point line so as to cover an open John Starks. The lack of team-defense rotation made it relatively easy for post players to spot an open man (Hint: He’s from whence the double team came).

The allowance of zones shrunk a center’s offensive work space while expanding his defensive work space. Rules that “opened up the game” for current perimeter players, closed it for scoring bigs.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...n-darwin-finch