Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells article from today's star...Foster did not make trip

Default Mike Wells article from today's star...Foster did not make trip

A very good piece by Wells in today's paper about how Frank is adjusting his practice times and using tape sessions.

Interesting that Foster re-injured the back during Bulls game. I really wonder how much time Jeff can put in. I think we are going to have to see Amundson soon, I just can't see him sticking with a three man rotation for to long in this shortened season.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...arn-adjust-fly

Indiana Pacers coach Frank Vogel would like to practice for four hours on off days because he enjoys teaching basketball. But he knows putting his team through grueling practice sessions wouldn't be in the Pacers' best interest during a jam-packed 66-game season.

"I recognize you can't do that so we have to do just the best we can," Vogel said.

Practice time will be hard to come by during the first month of the season for the Pacers, who play at Toronto tonight.

They have more than one day off between games just once -- Jan. 15-17 -- over the next six weeks. They also play six sets of back-to-back games during that stretch.

"You just have to find that balance," Vogel said. "You have to learn a lot off of tape with one-on-one individual sessions with the coaches. You have to learn in the film sessions and you have to be (as) efficient as possible when you get out on the court."

The Pacers on Tuesday talked about needing to improve on both ends of the court after the previous night's victory over the Detroit Pistons.

They'll have to be creative because they routinely don't practice after back-to-back games. Vogel is thinking about reducing practice time even more to avoid fatigue early in the season.

The Pacers play 15 of their next 21 games on the road.

"Day-by-day we'll just get a feel for what our guys can handle and whether it's going to be productive or counterproductive," Vogel said. "You really have to make daily decisions on that."

The Pacers want to use practice time to help newcomers David West and George Hill get comfortable playing with their teammates and work on their offensive chemistry.

They beat the Pistons, who are expected to struggle this season, by defending and rebounding well.

"You have to do it up top mentally when there's not a lot of practice time," West said. "We have to think about the good things (we did against Detroit), think about the bad things and we have to be looking to improve. If we continue to be unselfish and play together, the sky is the limit for this group."

Vogel will use film sessions as a teaching tool without taking the court.

"We have to really concentrate in film sessions," small forward Danny Granger said. "Sometimes that's tough with younger teams, but we know that's our next challenge, getting better without killing our legs. I've talked to players on teams that win every year and they have a lot more off time because they understand the game more and don't have to practice as much."

Foster stays behind
    Veteran Jeff Foster (back) did not travel to Toronto so he could meet with Dan Dyrek, the team's physical therapist consultant. Foster, who has a history of back problems, re-injured it during the Dec. 20 preseason game at Chicago. He hopes to return to the lineup next week when the Pacers are on a four-game trip.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mike Wells article from today's star...Foster did not make trip

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"You have to do it up top mentally when there's not a lot of practice time," West said. "We have to think about the good things (we did against Detroit), think about the bad things and we have to be looking to improve. If we continue to be unselfish and play together, the sky is the limit for this group."

Vogel will use film sessions as a teaching tool without taking the court.

"We have to really concentrate in film sessions," small forward Danny Granger said. "Sometimes that's tough with younger teams, but we know that's our next challenge, getting better without killing our legs. I've talked to players on teams that win every year and they have a lot more off time because they understand the game more and don't have to practice as much."
    Looking at first quote by DW & loving how his mentals must be rubbing off on the team - providing the unselfishness & serious prep vision. Just allows DG's efforts (2nd quote) to be that much more effective. Hill is having a similar effect I would imagine.

Peck, yes of Amundson/Foster/Pendergraph, one of them seemingly has to start playing soon. If nothing else to get acclimated for when they are truly needed for legit minutes - injury, foul trouble, fatigue, illness, etc.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Not too worrisome I don't think. We knew he had issues coming in. I don't think Pendergraph's all that far off, so I expect him to play soon. Amundson once he had a little bit more time with the team, may be ready now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm going to miss you Jeff F. but it's time to retire...!!! I think he hurt his back while clapping from the bench.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

I'm not worried about Foster. He proved last year that he still has a lot left in the tank. He's at a stage where he should take it year to year though. It would be wise to use one of the open roster spots on another big man if the opportunity presents itself. What's the status on Stanko?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'm not worried about Foster. He proved last year that he still has a lot left in the tank. He's at a stage where he should take it year to year though. It would be wise to use one of the open roster spots on another big man if the opportunity presents itself. What's the status on Stanko?
    Foster brought it in the playoffs very well. I hope he gets enough rest to allow him to do the same this year.

About Stanko. I don't say this to belittle him, because I really don't know much about him, but I think THIS season the Pacers would be better served by having players with experience against the opponents the Pacers are going to face. Stanko does not have that. With the lack of practice time, I think this becomes more important than it might be in other (normal schedule) years.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Banned

Stupid decision by the Pacers in not having another 7footer just in case, everybody knew Foster wasn't going to make it for the whole season, they got Pendergraph for some reason and he is injured, if Roy gets hurt or in foul trouble we are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Stupid decision by the Pacers in not having another 7footer just in case, everybody knew Foster wasn't going to make it for the whole season, they got Pendergraph for some reason and he is injured, if Roy gets hurt or in foul trouble we are screwed.
    And how many 7 footers did we have last year?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The Pacers need to get Pryzbilla on the horn and pay him out of retirement. Or book Kristin a plane ticket.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    And how many 7 footers did we have last year?
    By 7 footers I mean guys that are able to play center full time, last year we had Josh,Foster,Solo and Roy, this year we have a broken down Foster, an injured Pendergraph, and Roy.

Neither Hans,West or Lou can play the center position full time if something happens to Roy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    The Pacers need to get Pryzbilla on the horn and pay him out of retirement. Or book Kristin a plane ticket.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    I keep saying that they should make a trade for Kaman, he could be perfect.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

By 7 footers I mean guys that are able to play center full time, last year we had Josh,Foster,Solo and Roy, this year we have a broken down Foster, an injured Pendergraph, and Roy.

Neither Hans,West or Lou can play the center position full time if something happens to Roy.
    I don't really think you can call Josh a "full time" center. He can play some minutes there, but you can say the same for guys like West and Admunson.

It seems to me that Pendergraph is our replacement for solo in the rotation. He seems to have the size to play center. no? So that leaves us with Roy, Jeff, and Jeff as full time centers. I think its manageable.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I don't really think you can call Josh a "full time" center. He can play some minutes there, but you can say the same for guys like West and Admunson.

It seems to me that Pendergraph is our replacement for solo in the rotation. He seems to have the size to play center. no? So that leaves us with Roy, Jeff, and Jeff as full time centers. I think its manageable.
    I am talking about the now, Foster and Pendergraph are not healthy.

I am talking about the now, Foster and Pendergraph are not healthy.
    Foster wasn't healthy the beginning of last year, either. At least this year they went out and got Amundson to fill in for him.

Look, we all wish for the days of having guys like Tank and AD as backup centers. But that's just not the league anymore.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

If you figure that with a Frontcourt Pf/C rotation of West/Hibbert/Hansbrough taking up 84 to 88 minutes, we would just need some combination of Foster/Amundson/Pendagraph to play between 8 to 12 minutes a game at the Backup Center spot. Id hope that between the 3 of them that they can adequately spell "Backup Center".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah vnzla I don't know why you are making such a big stink about this. We're fine. Hibbert, Foster, Pendergraph, Amundson, and West can all eat up minutes at the center position. Is it ideal having West out there at center? No, not really, but how many centers in the league can truly make us pay for that?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Actually, for a time against Detroit, they had West and Hans out together at the 4 and 5 and it was pretty effective.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

As long as he is ready come March I will ok. We need him or someone to hustle for the O-Reb.....wait we do.

I think Foster is on the bench to pretty much keep him from playing so many games in a short span to save him for later in the season.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JEM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    I'm going to miss you Jeff F. but it's time to retire...!!! I think he hurt his back while clapping from the bench.
    Really? A call for Jeff to retire already? What a surprise that it took someone so long to make such a suggestion. Hey, did you follow the team last season? Are you aware that, as much as many of them tried, it was nearly impossible for players to get into game-shape and meet with training personnel, including physical therapists, during the lockout? I guess not.

Jeff played 15 and 18 minutes in the preseason games, the latter minutes skewed higher because Roy was in foul trouble, I believe. As more than one PD contributor pointed out, Jeff will be Jeff. He will do the things he does best, at a high level, but he will tweak the back every so often, especially after playing against Dwight, or consecutive nights, etc. and this goes with the territory. It is difficult to predict the future for any player's health, but most fans predicted this sort of thing about Jeff, and most certainly the front office and Frank Vogel did, and were willing to accept the risk and the rewards.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah vnzla I don't know why you are making such a big stink about this.
    One word: Nene

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

xBulletproof was right a looong time ago...

...Some people just always need something to ***** about.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 12-28-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: I meant to put right not wrong!!!!!!!! Gaaaahhhh!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah vnzla I don't know why you are making such a big stink about this. We're fine. Hibbert, Foster, Pendergraph, Amundson, and West can all eat up minutes at the center position. Is it ideal having West out there at center? No, not really, but how many centers in the league can truly make us pay for that?
    The two guys I just highlighted are hurt so they don't count, that leaves Hibbert and Lou to play the center position and no I don't think West or Hans can play center either, that duo was decent in the offensive side but bad on the defensive side, so who are you going to play at center if Roy get's hurt or in foul trouble?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    One word: Nene
    Yep I am going to hear about this for a long time .........but at least I like players that can actually play unlike some people hero

The two guys I just highlighted are hurt so they don't count, that leaves Hibbert and Lou to play the center position and no I don't think West or Hans can play center either, that duo was decent in the offensive side but bad on the defensive side, so who are you going to play at center if Roy get's hurt or in foul trouble?
    They don't count? What is this, third grade? Of course they count. Unless I've missed something, neither of them is going to miss a healthy chunk of the season. They are missing the first few games of the season against lousy opponents. Big deal.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: