Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vogel designed the offense to get our bigs offensive rebounds

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel designed the offense to get our bigs offensive rebounds

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point. The Heat have not shot a three pointer yet this year.
    Huh? The Heat shot 10 three's just yesterday.

_
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 12-28-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Mistype

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I've been quite impressed with Vogel. Seems the players are really listening too. I wish him the best success.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

_
    During the telecast they mentioned that neither LeBron nor DWade has shot one yet, which is probably what he heard.

They also showed his FT statistics from the game against Dallas, and his 19 FT attempts, along side his total FT attempts from the Finals, which was 21 total attempts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

_
    James Jones is lighting it up from 3 so far this year.

Banned

_
    I was thinking the same thing Cole and Jones have been making threes since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My point was just to suggest that different coaches have different approaches and there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.
    I'm guessing our approach will be flexible depending on the opponent. We can't afford to send two bigs against great transition teams like Miami but it worked against Detroit.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry I misspoke. But my point was still that their primary focus is getting to the rim offensively, which leads to threes as a secondary or tertiary shot, which was not the case under JOB. Vogel seems to be more intent on getting the ball into the post and working from there or getting into the lane and freeing up the passing lanes to the perimeter as the secondary option leading to more ball movement or a three.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Just able to watch the game. The one thing that stood out to me that is different from last year is there was no hesitation on either end of the court. Before, at least to me, it seemed like there was a step lost here or there trying to make a decision whether it was rebounding or simply pushing the ball up the court. Monday's game I rarely saw any of that, if any at all. Your guys went out and did what had to be done. And owning the boards was a huge part of that.

I know it's only one game but it's an attitude I can't see going away, no matter who is the opposing team. The rebounding total may not be as spread apart against other teams but the Pacers will surely be holding their own. Before I felt that your team would probably be around .500 this year taking into account the tough schedule. I still think that but now I wouldn't be surprised if they won more games than that.

This shortened season will be putting all the teams to a test but it seems the Pacers' mental strength and physical strength maybe starting to come together which couldn't be better timing.

I don't think our interior defense and break defense is strong enough for us to aggressively offensively rebound. I disagree with this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    *Thinks back to February with all the JOB supporters blabbering on about "Wait until the Honeymoon Period is over. This won't last," and laughs hysterically.*

Frank Vogel is God.

It won't last.
    Last edited by flox; 12-28-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    I don't think our interior defense and break defense is strong enough for us to aggressively offensively rebound. I disagree with this idea.

It won't last.
    this is evidently the same kind of thing that TPTB in boston think. seems they put getting back on defense more than getting offensive rebounds. i understand the theory, getting back will save more points from breakouts/fast breaks. if you and doc rivers are correct, the pacers will start to give up too many layups.

i hope not myself, just from an entertaining game standpoint. the battle of the boards is fun to watch. watching a game where both teams just take a shot and back down court is not much fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    this is evidently the same kind of thing that TPTB in boston think. seems they put getting back on defense more than getting offensive rebounds. i understand the theory, getting back will save more points from breakouts/fast breaks. if you and doc rivers are correct, the pacers will start to give up too many layups.

i hope not myself, just from an entertaining game standpoint. the battle of the boards is fun to watch. watching a game where both teams just take a shot and back down court is not much fun to watch.
    It's simply two different basketball theories.

Frank's shown the ability to adjust though, so I think we'll just have to see how it plays out. It's a good idea, seeing that when George and Hill are on, our back court is probably good enough defensively to prevent a fast break, and Hans/West are so aggressive they are likely to get those offensive rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It's simply two different basketball theories.

Frank's shown the ability to adjust though, so I think we'll just have to see how it plays out. It's a good idea, seeing that when George and Hill are on, our back court is probably good enough defensively to prevent a fast break, and Hans/West are so aggressive they are likely to get those offensive rebounds.
    It's also about the team you put on the floor. Garnett is (was?) a great rebounder, but they don't have two guys who are above average rebounding bigs, and they also have an older team that probably isn't quick/athletic enough to get back to prevent those easy layups.

Our team, however, is younger, and should also have two guys on the court at all times capable of 10+ rebounds per game, given starter's minutes. George and Granger are also long enough that even if they get burned, they still have a chance to block a shot/lay-up at the other end, a la Tayshawn Prince.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It won't last.
    That's your opinion.

My opinion is that Vogel is spot on with the way he's building the team. My high school coach always told us that we wouldn't always shoot well, but you can always play good defense and rebound.

The Pacers have scorers, that part of the game will take care of itself. The shots will start falling eventually if they keep working the ball and getting good looks like they are right now.

I love seeing the way the pacers crash the boards with West and Hans, hopefully we get foster and pendergraph in on the action soon. Obviously you won't be able to send everyone to the glass when you play a team that can transition from offense to defense as quickly as OKC or Miami. I trust Vogel is smart enough to make that adjustment when the time comes.

In Vogel I Trust!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It won't last.
    So far the Pacers have been crashing the boards and getting back in transition very well.

They have enough speed and length to get back and contest passes and shots. Rebounding and defense will be their strengths this season. Perimeter shooting will be the achilles heal. The Pacers are starting to play like Philly from last year.