Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    watching dwest play has made all of us giddy. that says more about the quality of the previous play of pacer bigs than west's play itself. nothing west does is special or spectacular, it is professional. we react to a professional just doing his job like he was moses parting the red sea.

that says more about the quality of the pacer bigs in the last 5 years than it does about the awesomeness of dwest. we've watched too many bigs that are unskilled, untalented or both. the pacers have had to play bigs who defend, but can't score. that can score but not defend. or can hustle but neither score or defend.

here's to the end of semi-skilled bigs. i, for one, am looking forward to seeing 5 guys that can play in B&G instead of 2 or 3.
    I think you're underselling West a bit. The guy is a two-time All-Star.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

"Just how big big of a move was signing David West?"

Let me know the last time a Pacer signing upset Celtics fans

That alone should make you happy about getting DW.

All joking aside, I hope Monday's game was a good showcase to you Pacers fans how lucky you are in getting a player with a combo of both ability and intelligence at the level David West has. They were the reasons I wanted him in Boston.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think you're underselling West a bit. The guy is a Former two-time All-Star.
    Fixed

Regarding West and how big is his impact on the team I think is big but not as big as many think here, he could possibly help the Pacers move from 8th seed to 7th and possibly 6th max, we are still a first round playoffs exit team in my opinion unless PG becomes the player we think he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Fixed

Regarding West and how big is his impact on the team I think is big but not as big as many think here, he could possibly help the Pacers move from 8th seed to 7th and possibly 6th max, we are still a first round playoffs exit team in my opinion unless PG becomes the player we think he can be.
    I would agree with you there but I think this year will suprise a lot of people. Injuries and depth will matter more on a team seeding and teams like the Hawks and Boston will run their guys ragged.

Dwest alone doesn't get the Pacers past the first round playoffs but one more move this season or this summer and I think we will be a very strong team to move into the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

Dwest alone doesn't get the Pacers past the first round playoffs but one more move this season or this summer and I think we will be a very strong team to move into the second round.
    Depends on who they play in the first round. If we lay a team like the Knicks who has literally no depth. We just might make a huge upset.

Whats really amazing is that there is already talks that Amare' is gonna sit out games against lesser opponents to rest up. I didnt' know that guy was so old. But sitting out against weak teams is actually counterproductive. If the goal is to get wins, he should be playing against the weak teams and have an easy time getting the win. Sit him out against the elite teams as he will have to work harder in those games. They could have a 4-1 win ratio if they play 5 games and only one is against a strong opponent.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 12-28-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Depends on who they play in the first round. If we lay a team like the Knicks who has literally no depth. We just might make a huge upset.

Whats really amazing is that there is already talks that Amare' is gonna sit out games against lesser opponents to rest up. I didnt' know that guy was so old. But sitting out against weak teams is actually counterproductive. If the goal is to get wins, he should be playing against the weak teams and have an easy time getting the win. Sit him out against the elite teams as he will have to work harder in those games.
    Injuries could play a big role with Boston and the Knicks and those are the teams the Pacers would probably play in the frist round. If Chandler goes down then I like our chances and the same goes for KG too.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Fixed

I think we could definitely take Boston, New York, Philadelphia and anyone worse than them. The only teams I think will be tough for us are Chicago and Miami.

Mood

Signing of David West is a huge deal. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Pacers to be serious title contenders quite yet, but I do believe West gets us closer. Not only does he get us 18ppg/10rpg closer, but I think his leadership is going to keep this team pushing forward, and help our young guys grow into the potential we've all seen.

Everyone keeps saying that signing him to a 2 year deal made it even better, but if he keeps up the intensity we saw against Detroit and shakes off the rust and hits those easy shots he missed, I get the feeling that we're going to begin hoping it was a longer contract.

I'm very pleased with DW so far, and I expect his signing here to be a BIG deal for the future of this team. His play is great, and he might return to All-Star level. But if he is able to mentor Roy and Tyler, maybe even PG, and make the most of DC's talents, then we're going to be much better for years after his contract ends.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Fixed
    You keep harping on him being a "former" All Star. Yet, since there are no All Stars this year to speak of yet, isn't everyone who has ever been an All Star a former All Star?

Mood

Fixed
    What is your obsession with him not being a 2011 all-star? As long as he can still play at or about the same level as he did those two years, I couldn't give a **** if he gets the official title of all-star or not. This seems so petty.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What is your obsession with him not being a 2011 all-star? As long as he can still play at or about the same level as he did those two years, I couldn't give a **** if he gets the official title of all-star or not. This seems so petty.
    You realize who you are talking to, right?

Banned

Is not an obsession is the true, people keep saying that we just signed this all star player and is not true, do you really think we could have signed the guy for 2/20 if the guy was one? hell no!! let's say that we sign JO, should we also say that "we signed this all star player" or the "6 times former all star player"? big difference.

Is not an obsession is the true, people keep saying that we just signed this all star player and is not true, do you really think we could have signed the guy for 2/20 if the guy was one? hell no!! let's say that we sign JO, should we also say that "we signed this all star player" or the "6 times former all star player"? big difference.
    It's petty. His last All Star season, he averaged 21-8. Last year when he wasn't an All Star, what did he average? 19-8. This isn't Jermaine O'Neal who hasn't played like an All Star or even an NBA starter for several years and isn't even sniffing near the same production. The guy is a borderline All Star and as long as his knee holds up he will get strong consideration this year. It's a tiny detail that you have decided is a huge deal when it's not.

You find the tiniest things to latch onto and harp on incessantly.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I think he's just trolling. I mean, he compared West to frickin Troy Murphy.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I think we could definitely take Boston, New York, Philadelphia and anyone worse than them. The only teams I think will be tough for us are Chicago and Miami.
    Well, I'm excited about this season and our prospects... and I haven't experienced this feeling for several years.

But let's not get carried away. I can confidently say that I expect for the Pacers to be competing for at least a 5th seed.

But beyond that, who knows? One thing that I truly believe is that with West and Hill added to our roster, we can compete with every team in the league. And that is definitely something to get excited about.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I wouldn't say that he's trolling... But he is irrationally cynical beyond repair.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    It's petty. His last All Star season, he averaged 21-8. Last year when he wasn't an All Star, what did he average? 19-8. This isn't Jermaine O'Neal who hasn't played like an All Star or even an NBA starter for several years and isn't even sniffing near the same production. The guy is a borderline All Star and as long as his knee holds up he will get strong consideration this year. It's a tiny detail that you have decided is a huge deal when it's not.

You find the tiniest things to latch onto and harp on incessantly.
    No really, I just like for people to be fair, just the same way I get judge here when people tell me that I talk hiperbole or whatever, I like that many NBA writers make this difference when talking about former NBA all stars, I even got to read few articles were they call West "a former all star", many people here are using the "all star" thing to make a point in how good of a player we got for the price we got him forgetting the part that he is not a current "all star" and probably would never be again and that's huge difference.

Come on now. Being an All-Star, isn't that pretty important? I mean, I sure hope we don't go after Eric Gordon next summer because he's just not worth the expenditure of time. After, all he's never played in the All-Star game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Come on now. Being an All-Star, isn't that pretty important? I mean, I sure hope we don't go after Eric Gordon next summer because he's just not worth the expenditure of time. After, all he's never played in the All-Star game.
    Huge difference.

No really, I just like for people to be fair, just the same way I get judge here when people tell me that I talk hiperbole or whatever, I like that many NBA writers make this difference when talking about former NBA all stars, I even got to read few articles were they call West "a former all star", many people here are using the "all star" thing to make a point in how good of a player we got for the price we got him forgetting the part that he is not a current "all star" and probably would never be again and that's huge difference.
    A huge difference? Really?

So 2009 All Star David West who was averaging 21 points, 8.5 rebounds, on 47% shooting in 39 minutes is VASTLY better than 2011 David West who averaged 19 points, 7.5 rebounds and shot 51% from the field in 35 minutes?

So because he played 4 less minutes caused him to make one less basket per game, and grab one less rebound while being a more efficient scorer is a huge difference?

You make no sense. None. Nada.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    irrationally cynical beyond repair.
    Lovely term - describes quite a few posters here! May I also suggest "vainglorious 'I've always said' pontificators" to describe another group?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    A huge difference? Really?

So 2009 All Star David West who was averaging 21 points, 8.5 rebounds, on 47% shooting in 39 minutes is VASTLY better than 2011 David West who averaged 19 points, 7.5 rebounds and shot 51% from the field in 35 minutes?

So because he played 4 less minutes caused him to make one less basket per game, and grab one less rebound while being a more efficient scorer is a huge difference?

You make no sense. None. Nada.
    Once again you are talking about the past, you like it or not he is a "former all star" he wasn't one last year and that's the reality, now he is recovering from a knee injury and only time would tell if he is the same player he was.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Once again you are talking about the past, you like it or not he is a "former all star" he wasn't one last year and that's the reality, now he is recovering from a knee injury and only time would tell if he is the same player he was.
    He's not recovering from a knee injury, he's recovered. You're talking about the past.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    He's not recovering from a knee injury, he's recovered. You're talking about the past.
    We don't know that yet, talk to me in few months.

Yes, I am talking about the past because your insistent that he is a "former All Star". Apparently by your definition that means he wasn't an All Star last season. So by nagging on that you're talking about the past as well. Otherwise he would be an All Star player, yes?

As far as this year goes, you're correct, only time will tell. So if we don't know, why do you keep acting like you're so sure and bringing it up every time you see David West's name like it's already been decided? We've seen nothing to show that he won't be that guy. In fact, in the opener he certainly looked like he's still that guy. His game is more of a game of knowledge anyway. He's smart, he knows where to be, and how to get position. Everything we've seen and know about him points towards nothing but a full recovery. I would be much more worried about a guy who relies on jumping high and running fast.

The real issue I think is that you (just like with Dunleavy, and several other players/coaches before) never stop. It's like a little kid poking you to get your attention. It's fine for a while and you can ignore it. At some point though it just gets old. You find a way to reach that point about several subjects every year. It's like you can't help yourself.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post: