Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Default Re: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Pacers fans should know what a cancer is. We had a team full of them 4 or 5 years ago. Lance really isn't one. He's just young. By the end of the year I think Lance will be a fairly important part of this team.

The West signing was awesome. His basketball IQ is off the charts.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think West is the leader we have been looking for since Reggie left. You can just see it in his eyes.

I had not been expecting that.
    I was at the game last night, had great seats...6th row in the middle. I was very impressed with David West communicating on defense...he was much more vocal on defense than anyone else out there, which was GREAT to see. Too say I was impressed with D West would be an understatement, I never really wanted him like a lot of other posters...but WOW Kudos to management for making that deal happen. I think David West's contribution to this team will be huge, he actually seemed thrilled to be there. Right before the tip off he was jumping around, high fiving everybody (even the Pistons). My father hasn't been excited about the Pacers since Reggie Miller and last night he couldn't shut-up about how "we finally have some tough big guys, like the Davis brothers."

Go Pacers!!
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Banned

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Not specifically at you IMF...

For all the people that are high on David West now I sure could of used your support back in March and June.

I was getting ready to comment on this in another thread, it seems to me like we are getting a lot of bandwagon jumpers here telling us things like "he is the guy I always wanted" or "I knew he was going to be that good" where were this people when you and maybe one more person were having all this arguments about West with me and other guys?

edit: I don't think is fair to never stick your head out of the window and all of the sudden "yeah he is the guy I wanted all along" I call BS on that one. Gamble1 was man enough to support the guy since the beggining unlike some people here.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I think the term "cancer" gets bandied about a bit too casually around here. Lance was a nuisance last year mainly due to his childish arrogance. He seems to have eaten his humble pie and is ready for the big boy table now. That could change, but he will never be, nor has ever been a "cancer."
    yea foreal.....

Also I am sure some of us members who have family that are actually dealing with or had a family member die from cancer, don't appreciate that word being bandied around like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I think the term "cancer" gets bandied about a bit too casually around here. Lance was a nuisance last year mainly due to his childish arrogance. He seems to have eaten his humble pie and is ready for the big boy table now. That could change, but he will never be, nor has ever been a "cancer."
    Agreed, a cancer is someone who's attitude or behavior infects the rest of the team and causes other players to follow suit. I don't really think that was the case last year, as Lance was probably more of an annoyance. Plus, it's much harder to be a cancer on a team when your role is minuscule and you're nothing more than the 12-14th man as opposed to a key player.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

For all the people that are high on David West now I sure could of used your support back in March and June.
    Fair point.

I wasn't high on West at all; I'm pretty sure I posted something along the lines of Nene > Chandler > West. But West is looking like a very good fit, to my surprise and pleasure. Glad to be wrong on this one.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

I wasn't high on him, nor was I low on him, but I respected his reputation (that he was considered at least a good starting PF and made two all-star teams for a reason, and that it wasn't just bc he played with Paul), and from afar I thought he was a good player. I just didn't know how good until I started studying him once we signed him. I caught up pretty quick to where what I've seen wasn't a shock (though some of it was still a surprise, such as the high IQ and the leadership/being vocal). If you studied him since the signing, you'd learn more about his game and that he was tough and VERY well thought of in New Orleans, and with Synergy I was able to see that there was more to his game than just shooting jumpers. Even the 2nd Bulls game showed a gimpse of his stability and strength as well.

I knew he was a good signing, but it was only immediately afterwards that I started to understand just HOW good of a signing it was through some reading and watching 'tape'. And even then he still raised my feelings on him last night a bit. But I didn't need last night to tell me to roll my eyes at the heavy doubters who wanted to marginalize him, make him sound like he was a has-been, and/or someone not worthy of pushing Hansbrough to the bench. I'm just glad he's so quickly making people back off that nonsense.

But Nene was the guy who was at the top of my list coming into free agency. Now, I don't really care that we missed out on him.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

[QUOTE=vnzla81;1329576]

I was getting ready to comment on this in another thread, it seems to me like we are getting a lot of bandwagon jumpers here telling us things like "he is the guy I always wanted" or "I knew he was going to be that good" where were this people when you and maybe one more person were having all this arguments about West with me and other guys?

edit: I don't think is fair to never stick your head out of the window and all of the sudden "yeah he is the guy I wanted all along" I call BS on that one. Gamble1 was man enough to support the guy since the beggining unlike some people here.
    West was not the guy I wanted.... but after watching him play last night, I'm sure as hell happy he's the guy we got. Obviously it's one game, but loved his style of play. So I'm jumping on the West bandwagon, later than some, but happy to be aboard.
    Danger Zone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

I was anti David West but still don't see any flip flop in my beliefs. I still think that signing West to any sort of long term deal is/would have been a terrible idea. In arguing against signing West, I was really arguing against signing what I thought would have been a sure 4 or 5 year deal.

I was also against signing Nene. To be specific however, (I admit I wasn't) I was against any long term deal, or any big time dollars. For the right price Nene would have been a good deal as well.

My assumption was that any deal involving either player would have been a 4/5 year 60-70 million deal. I think that's absurd for both players no matter what the makeup of your particular team is.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

[QUOTE=vnzla81;1329576]

Not to get into a pissing match or anything, but I've been beating the West over Nene drum pretty hard since pretty much the day the lockout ended.

Exhibit A

I was more skeptical last season and early summer because of the injury, but with the added recovery time of the lockout, he's been my guy for sure, at least during this free agency period.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Fair point.

I wasn't high on West at all; I'm pretty sure I posted something along the lines of Nene > Chandler > West. But West is looking like a very good fit, to my surprise and pleasure. Glad to be wrong on this one.
    I think most people including myself had a list along those lines but salaries come into play and that's where I differed from a lot of posters.

Give me Nene for a 10 million per all day but I think most of us knew in our heart of hearts those guys were never realistic options. West seems like a bargain and I had originally said that we could possibly get him for 3 years 9 million per but even that was CRAZY talk for many given his injury.

Here's to him staying healthy and a above 500 W/L and just for the record I don't care who is right or wrong just as long as the Pacers do well in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-27-2011 at 03:57 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I think most people including myself had a list along those lines but salaries come into play and that's where I differed from a lot of posters.

Give me Nene for a 10 million per all day but I think most of us knew in our heart of hearts those guys were never realistic options. West seems like a bargain and I had originally said that we could possibly get him for 3 years 9 million per but even that was CRAZY talk for many given his injury.

Here's to him staying healthy and a above 500 record and just for the record I don't care who is right or wrong as long as the Pacers do well in the playoffs.
    I'm willing to admit that I didn't want West. Primarily because I wanted players who fit with the current age range of our core. Not to mention I really thought he'd be getting a long-term deal.

But at the contract we signed him to, it was a no-brainer. Not to sound morbid, but we were lucky he got injured because that increased our leverage to sign him to a shorter deal. Now not only do we have a big-time player for his position, but already we have a legit asset next year in a big expiring contract.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Lance is a cancer, West is the cure.
    Other than the fact Lance has been always enthusiastic on the bench and other than the fact he was a humble, completely unassuming player at the Pro-Am who made a point to come over to my 10-yr-old son and shake his hand...uh, well said.

Go David! Go Lance!
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

"Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reginald For This Useful Post:

Banned

[QUOTE=Infinite MAN_force;1329605]
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Not to get into a pissing match or anything, but I've been beating the West over Nene drum pretty hard since pretty much the day the lockout ended.

Exhibit A

I was more skeptical last season and early summer because of the injury, but with the added recovery time of the lockout, he's been my guy for sure, at least during this free agency period.
    Gamble1 and other guys were already talking about the guy since last year, trust me I don't care about the bandwagon jumpers that are happy that we have the guy, the ones the grind my gears are the ones that come here with an straight face to tell us all "he is the guy I wanted all along" or "I knew he was the right fit for this team" again, where were all this people all this time? there were threads after threads about Dwest and I never saw one post from this guys telling us that "he was the guy I wanted all along", I am sorry but I call BS on this one.

Gamble1 and other guys were already talking about the guy since last year, trust me I don't care about the bandwagon jumpers that are happy that we have the guy, the ones the grind my gears are the ones that come here with an straight face to tell us all "he is the guy I wanted all along" or "I knew he was the right fit for this team" again, where were all this people all this time? there were threads after threads about Dwest and I never saw one post from this guys telling us that "he was the guy I wanted all along", I am sorry but I call BS on this one.
    Who are you talking about, then? Maybe I'm just missing the type you're referring to, but I'm only aware of those who liked him last month and those who didn't and that second group is divided between those who warmed quickly to him and those who did/have not. Who is now claiming to have liked him a month ago but actually did not?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Lance is a cancer, West is the cure.
    Oh, that's pure ********.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who are you talking about, then? Maybe I'm just missing the type you're referring to, but I'm only aware of those who liked him last month and those who didn't and that second group is divided between those who warmed quickly to him and those who did/have not. Who is now claiming to have liked him a month ago but actually did not?
    There are few posters that never showed in what side they were and now they are trying to lecture people in how good of a fit West is and pretty much tellings us that they were right and how hard they were pushing for West and how much they loved him, the thing is that they were never there when Gamble1 and beast were the only guys fighting the Dwest cause.

At the tip-off West was so locked-in that he didn't realized that Prince was trying to say hello and ask him about his health !! West was just craving to get physical!! That right there gave me goosebumps !!

There are few posters that never showed in what side they were and now they are trying to lecture people in how good of a fit West is and pretty much tellings us that they were right and how hard they were pushing for West and how much they loved him, the thing is that they were never there when Gamble1 and beast were the only guys fighting the Dwest cause.
    Like who?

Speaking for myself, as I said earlier in the thread, I became convinced it was a good signing after it was made because I studied up on West, and once I did I knew the doubters were wrong. So I hope you're not lumping me in with this so-far phantom group. And I don't recall anyone else claiming they 'knew it all along' (meaning before the signing actually happened), either. So let's see some specifics or enough already.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

RWB

Maybe these people are just happy that David West seems like a good fit?

Why do people have to have had a stance for so long; why can't they just watch the games and judge from there? Maybe it's not a huge ego trip and trying to prove everyone wrong or right?

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Who cares if you were for him or not. There is plenty of room on the bandwagon. As far as Nene, I liked him too. If we had him instead of West there would be a lot of people on that bandwagon to.

So let's move on and just cheer for the players we have. And by the way I'm not holding it against all the Bird haters out there for the last few years. Just happy he got us where we are now. Room on the Bird bandwagon to.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To be fair, I'm not sure what's worse...the people that have hypocritically flip-flopped or the people that feel compelled to say, "I told you so!" and stick their fingers in others' faces.

Earlier this offseason, I would've been comfortable with West from purely a basketball standpoint, but I was weary of giving of what I thought would be a four-year deal to a 31 year-old coming off major knee surgery. I think most people were and still remain shocked that the Pacers were able to get him on a two-year deal. That, in my opinion, changed everything.

I do agree though that West's leadership may have been the one thing overlooked throughout this process. Whereas, Nene was highly touted for his versatility to play power forward and center, many fans remain unaware of the type of veteran leadership that West can provide having been a captain on a playoff battle-tested Hornets' team for so long. Being from a foreign background and never a captain, I'm not sure Nene would've brought that same type of communication (facing a language barrier) and leadership ability to our team.
    Last edited by PR07; 12-27-2011 at 04:36 PM.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

What changed it for me is that David West is showing very little rust from his surgery, and he seems to be in great shape. In fact, he seems to be in better shape than a majority of the players on the team. He's come back strong, and full of energy, with physicality... That doesn't always come back after ACL surgery.

The contract and loyalty helps, too.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

West was my first choice but I wouldn't of gave him 4 years. Which is what I thought it would take to acquire him. Which is why I wasn't a huge fan when the media speculated we were after him. But after I heard he only had a 3yr 27m dollar offer from Boston I was really hopeful we could get him for the amount I wanted him for and we got him even cheaper.

I just wasn't a fan of giving Nene max money sorry he isn't near that good. I still think West is a better player and if we got Nene and not West I would of said that. Nene was more coveted because he can play 2 positions and one of those positions C is really hard to find.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-27-2011 at 04:41 PM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

WEST. the all-star PF, wanted to be a PACER, everyone else didn't. Enough for me.
    Last edited by Pacemaker; 12-27-2011 at 05:00 PM.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacemaker For This Useful Post: