Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Default Re: Just how big of a move was signing David West?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are few posters that never showed in what side they were and now they are trying to lecture people in how good of a fit West is and pretty much tellings us that they were right and how hard they were pushing for West and how much they loved him, the thing is that they were never there when Gamble1 and beast were the only guys fighting the Dwest cause.
    Vnzla, I believe IMF deserves credit as well. I favored Nene for the same reason you voiced: because I thought he was best qualified to start at 4 and back up Hibby at 5. That said, I've long respected West for his game and his intelligence (through his comments), and 2 years at $10M per is great for us. The only drawback, IMO, is that to reach contender status, we'll need to add another quality backup 5 (as well as a closer, or even an upgrade at starting guard). Like you (again), I was disappointed that we didn't reach out to Dalembert for a 1-yr contract. Trading for Kaman or Varejao this season will be costly. As much as I wish we'd do something like that, I prefer moves that add to our core. I think we may wait until the draft to address that need.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=vnzla81;1329576]

I was getting ready to comment on this in another thread, it seems to me like we are getting a lot of bandwagon jumpers here telling us things like "he is the guy I always wanted" or "I knew he was going to be that good" where were this people when you and maybe one more person were having all this arguments about West with me and other guys?

edit: I don't think is fair to never stick your head out of the window and all of the sudden "yeah he is the guy I wanted all along" I call BS on that one. Gamble1 was man enough to support the guy since the beggining unlike some people here.
    The moderators should place a gold star on the avatars of those who first posted that the Pacers should sign David West.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    The moderators should place a gold star on the avatars of those who first posted that the Pacers should sign David West.
    Its not who thought it was a good idea first its all the flack a person takes when they put their neck out there. Atleast thats my point in bringing it up and Peck had to shut down threads because they were getting out of hand with stupid theories on whether he could come back from the injury.

Personally I am just glad it worked out the way it did and hopefully he's back to his old self here in the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-27-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    West was my first choice but I wouldn't of gave him 4 years. Which is what I thought it would take to acquire him. Which is why I wasn't a huge fan when the media speculated we were after him. But after I heard he only had a 3yr 27m dollar offer from Boston I was really hopeful we could get him for the amount I wanted him for and we got him even cheaper.

I just wasn't a fan of giving Nene max money sorry he isn't near that good. I still think West is a better player and if we got Nene and not West I would of said that. Nene was more coveted because he can play 2 positions and one of those positions C is really hard to find.
    Nene isn't as good as West and never will be that good of a basketball player. I always knew that, but I wanted a guy to set next to either Hibbert or Hansbrough without missing a beat. I don't think we get that with David, but I'm not complaining. West is more physical than I had expected. He's thicker and a lot stronger. So, I'm glad we have David West. I just don't think, at the highest level, he can play the C position. Not only due to the knee, but even if he were 100% healthy. Still, the man is a very, very good basketball player and I would probably conclude he is the best player on our team now.

I think most people who were against West were against him for non-basketball reasons. Instead it was healthy, age, and money reasons. Very few players can easily come back from an ACL and even be close to their former self within the first season or two, let alone at any point in their career. Combine that with his age, there was a good reason to be skeptical of whether or not he would be able to come back and be worth his predicted salary.

I think this is where the people who never really took a side come in. They may have knew he was a good player and would fit, but were concerned about his injury, age, or salary. So they never really took a side.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the David West signing is a lot like the Byron Scott signing back in the day. He's not only a great addition on the court, but he's a respected veteran that is telling this team that they do have what it takes to be great! West and Hill really make a difference on a young team like the Pacers!

Rise up Pacer Nation!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wanted West, but I didn't think there was any way he would come for less than 14 million per. I also didn't think it would be for 2 years, I was expecting 4. No way anyone would have told me that and I believed it. I would have said you were smoking something.

When I saw the price and years, I knew we got a steal. It's awesome. I hope West is just as happy as we are.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I may have been the biggest pessimist about West. I honestly didn't think he was this tough. I also didn't know he was such a great team player with a great understanding of the game.

I just figured since he came here no other team wanted him or could pay him enough. I wasn't sure which one was the truth. A big guy with his excellent numbers who is a two-time All Star coming to Indiana and only getting 10 million year by his own free will? I just didn't think it was possible. I ignored the recruitment the players did with West and only focused on Nene.

Looking back I was completely wrong and I'm glad to admit that. West was the best fit and I'm actually happier with him than Nene. I'm glad he can play center and is going to make us a lot better this year. I could easily see AT LEAST 40 wins. 40-26 I would be happy with. I could see us making it to the ECF if we don't face Chicago or Miami before then. Still if we face one of them I will believe we can beat them even if I have my heart ripped out. I never give up on the Pacers until we are eliminated from the playoffs.

How sweet would it be for David to be rewarded with a ring here in Indiana? It would definitely make us much more considerable for future guys who are looking to win. Plus like I've said before the low cost of living in Indianapolis makes a 10 million dollar contract in Indianapolis worth more than a 15 million dollar contract in NYC or Golden State. Indianapolis is probably the best affordable place to live in the Midwest. I'm surprised more guys haven't figured this out yet. GREAT place to live and play if you care more about your art than your pleasure.

He sold me after ONE GAME. That speaks VOLUMES I hope.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

D West was the guy that I always wanted, he was always going to be more affordable than nene, and I believe he's the better player too.

David West is the veteran leader that this team has missed since Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller.

The type of vet who has earned respect, on the court and in the locker room. When he talks he knows what to say and can back it up.

I think having a leader like West will help set this team up to win for years. Just as long as one of the young talents on the team take notice on how he handles himself professionally as a player and a teammate.

Could end up being one of the Pacers' greatest free agent signings.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaHa3000 For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Plus like I've said before the low cost of living in Indianapolis makes a 10 million dollar contract in Indianapolis worth more than a 15 million dollar contract in NYC or Golden State.
    It does not cost $5 million more per year to live in NYC (or anywhere else) than Indiana.

Cost of living does not affect the decisions of anyone making $10 million a year, nor should it.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Big....Really Big!

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    That's because the presence of a guy like West will keep him in line. Thanks for proving my point.
    nope, it was just a uninformed premature judgement, probably based on someone else's opinion you read about. Lance was a cocky kid with legal issues for which posters decided the rumors were fact. He is 20 and only a biased person would say anything he has done constitutes a cancer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

i didn't know that much about david west prior to us signing him. but boy am i happy now that we did. he seems to have jelled very quickly, and all of the other pacers love him. being able to bring hansbrough off the bench is a huge plus, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I wanted West, but I didn't think there was any way he would come for less than 14 million per. I also didn't think it would be for 2 years, I was expecting 4. No way anyone would have told me that and I believed it. I would have said you were smoking something.

When I saw the price and years, I knew we got a steal. It's awesome. I hope West is just as happy as we are.
    I wanted West as well, and thought he could be had for 9M to 10M. I was very excited that Bird was able to get him for only two years. IMO, the 2 years, even if some on here did not like West, should have been good enough to shut up the objections.

I knew West was a good player around the basket and from mid-range. I know it's only based on the one game, but what I didn't know was how good of a communicator West is. I liked his body language and hand gestures when talking to a teammate during a couple of the breaks in action. He was not mad about mistakes they had made in defense, but was taking more of a mentoring posture (gesture) when talking with them.

Someone early in the thread was talking about how West was getting mad at himself for missing shots. I read somewhere how West recognized himself as one of the stronger interior men in the league, and as such expected himself to score at point blank even while getting fouled. He apparently keeps track of his "and 1" percentage on close in shots and expects it to be high. So, only having played for 1-1/2 weeks since his injury, he is keeping track, but might be a bit hard on himself for missing the shots at this stage of his recovery.

My early favorite for acquisition was Jason Thompson because he is a 4/5. I've wanted him for over a year because he fits a need and he would come relatively cheap. I didn't think we would be able to get our hands on one of the upper tier FAs. But once Bird talked about going hard after the best FAs with our cap money, I was all over West, above Nene and others. I just saw him as a better fit.
    Last edited by beast23; 12-28-2011 at 02:17 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Here's a general question, but I noticed it because of West. I was sitting just across the court from the Pacers bench and West was clearly getting his arm hooked around the defender and turning to the hoop in the post. When did they stop calling this? Until yesterday it didn't hit me that I haven't seen that call in what feels like many years. It used to be something I saw called pretty regularly.

I think you're allowed to do it if you keep your arm tight and don't "swim" around your man by extending out the arm.

The pissing match over who liked who first, or who took the most crap for their stance is embarrassing and unbecoming. Nobody is wrong for liking Nene or Chandler, and nobody is wrong for liking West. The only thing that matters is West is a part of this team, and the others are not. The internet gloating and making people "eat crow" is pretty lame.

Go Pacers!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Freddie fan;1329662]
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Not that anyone will recall but I started what I am fairly certain was the longest West thread we had.

MY whole point was that his injury was a blessing in disguise for us in that it lowered his price range and gave the Pacers a better shot for a shortened discount. Which is *exactly* what happened.

Now I think I also said Tyler would be a worse pick then even Shawne Williams...

We can't be right all the time
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Well I haven't visited much since the lockout so I'm not sure who likes who and who hates who, but we should just be very happy that West is has met/exceeded the expectations of most of the members of the forum, after 1 game.

However, we should just temper a bit of our expectations as this is just the first game. As happy as I am now, it is yet to determine in the long run how West will do for this team and how much will he contribute within 2 years. I remember before that many are very high on TJ Ford for his very solid production on the first few games (I remembered him getting almost a triple-double and many are sold at him being the all-star PG of the future for the Pacers).

IMO, getting West for a bargain should be a very big win for the Pacers. Currently, he's the only multiple All-star on the lineup, a key member of the NOH playoff teams, and has been a solid player missing only a few games until he got injured last season. No matter how you look at it, getting him at a good contract is one of the best moves of any team last offseason.

watching dwest play has made all of us giddy. that says more about the quality of the previous play of pacer bigs than west's play itself. nothing west does is special or spectacular, it is professional. we react to a professional just doing his job like he was moses parting the red sea.

that says more about the quality of the pacer bigs in the last 5 years than it does about the awesomeness of dwest. we've watched too many bigs that are unskilled, untalented or both. the pacers have had to play bigs who defend, but can't score. that can score but not defend. or can hustle but neither score or defend.

here's to the end of semi-skilled bigs. i, for one, am looking forward to seeing 5 guys that can play in B&G instead of 2 or 3.

I think we're a better team with West then without him and I'm glad he's part of this team. I also still think Nene would have been a better fit but when you look at the contracts that's not a fair comparison. It's possible to realize that we would be better off with a player that could play the 5 as well as the 4 and still be happy to improve the team with West.
    I'll have to see a little more out of West and the entire team then a win against the Pistons to say it was a huge move to sign West.
    Unless a deal comes up at the trade deadline that we just can't refuse, I think we have to play out the year with what we have, be happy, and continue to build on the core during the next off season. We still need another big man who's strength is in the paint and a pass first pg. I think we're one trade and one off season free agent signing away from being a title contender. That's a tall order to fill but I think Bird will do it.

No one will ever know what having Nene would have meant to this team. With West the Pacers will be better. How much is yet to be determined. With Nene, the Pacers would be better also or it might have made the Pacers a beast in the east. Apparently Bird preferred Nene. He offered him more money. This whole discussion is moot. Here is where we are.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Nene isn't as good as West and never will be that good of a basketball player. I always knew that, but I wanted a guy to set next to either Hibbert or Hansbrough without missing a beat. I don't think we get that with David, but I'm not complaining. West is more physical than I had expected. He's thicker and a lot stronger. So, I'm glad we have David West. I just don't think, at the highest level, he can play the C position. Not only due to the knee, but even if he were 100% healthy. Still, the man is a very, very good basketball player and I would probably conclude he is the best player on our team now.
    I don't know, I really enjoyed that West-Hansbrough lineup when it was on the floor. There are always going to be certain match ups where you can't use it, but given the general lack of size in NBA centers these days, I'm not sure you can't get away with it most of the time.

Not to say I would want West starting at C or playing there full time, but in with the second unit? I think you can get away with it more often than not.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

With West and Hill, the Pacers have the most talent they've had since 2005.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: