Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Detroit/Pacers postgame thread.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Detroit/Pacers postgame thread.

Looking back on our yearly game-logs, we've won while holding a team to sub-80 points exactly once each of the past four seasons:

2010-2011: Heat, 93-77
    2009-2010: Clippers, 86-73
    2008-2009: Celtics, 95-79
    2007-2008: 76ers, 85-76

We did it three times in 2006-2007: over Houston, 81-76; over Atlanta, 91-72; over Miami, 95-70.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got a formal apology from Gnome last night for his actions during the 2009 draft party. It got me all giddy. For the record I believe I was the only person in that group legitimately excited that we landed Tyler, and Peck gave me Hell for it.
    You would have fit in well in the Owl Tyler Fan club that night. People just plain overlooked all the evidence Tyler piled up over his 4 years in college against many future NBA players.
    What the heck? People let their personal bias get in the wayof making an honest evaluation.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ..but was it the franchise low in a season opener on a monday night game that started at 7:00 during an odd numbered year?
    I know you're a Pistons fan, but it's not like it's some made up statistic just for the sake of a statistic. Lowest score in a season opener since 1954 more to your liking?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

..but was it the franchise low in a season opener on a monday night game that started at 7:00 during an odd numbered year?

Absurd.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know you're a Pistons fan, but it's not like it's some made up statistic just for the sake of a statistic. Lowest score in a season opener since 1954 more to your liking?
    It's an obscure, meaningless statistic. There is nothing special about season openers, as opposed to the rest of the season. This isn't baseball.

It's an obscure, meaningless statistic. There is nothing special about season openers, as opposed to the rest of the season. This isn't baseball.
    I think it probably indicates something.

I'll put this as gently as possible. Probably that Detroit is terrible. ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

.....ok? We needed that obscure stat to tell us?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Nobody made a point about scoring in a season opener did they? The point was that the Pacers held a team to under 80 points and that didn't happen often the past two seasons.

I suppose you could extrapolate out that there was an additional point that it could mean something because the Pacers did it right out of the gate, but mainly... the point was the Pacers held a team to under 80 points and they historically haven't done that much and they've already done it at least once. IIRC There was even a caveat that it was against the Pistons.

So the only one who interjected the season opener into the stat keeping was you....

EDIT... Oh wait... It was Heisenberg you were replying to and not JEM.... DOH!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

.....ok? We needed that obscure stat to tell us?
    It's really not that obscure. You hear quotes like that all the time. Besides, weren't you the one saying the Pistons could compete for a playoff spot this year? That razzing being dished out, I think that was more about the Pacers being good than the Pistons being bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

Yeah Detroit is a horrible team, if the Pacers play "smash mouth basketball" Detroit plays "smack me in the basketball" they are a soft team, Daye and Monroe are really soft, Wallace needs to retire, Prince is not even close to what he used to be, the only players I like are Knight and Gordon.

Damn I almost forgot about softie Villanueva
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah Detroit is a horrible team, if the Pacers play "smash mouth basketball" Detroit plays "smack me in the basketball" they are a soft team, Daye and Monroe are really soft, Wallace needs to retire, Prince is not even close to what he used to be, the only players I like are Knight and Gordon.
    I think the Pacers took the foot off the gas once they got up 24 points. You could tell that when it started getting closer and Pacers started crashing the boards and dominating again. The Pacers were simply far more physical and that included our wings.

Oh, one other thing. Paul George is a beast and we've seen nothing so far.

I thought Monroe looked interesting, actually, although he needed a lot more support. I'd be happy to have him on the Pacers, where there'd be more threats around him so the D couldn't focus on him so much.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I thought Monroe looked interesting, actually, although he needed a lot more support. I'd be happy to have him on the Pacers, where there'd be more threats around him so the D couldn't focus on him so much.
    We already have a taller Monroe in Hibbert.

Monroe has a higher ceiling than either Roy or Tyler. The knock on him was a questionable motor. It seems like that's still a problem. That said, I'd still love to have him on the Pacers, but it's a moot point since he's the best thing Detroit's got right now.

I was commenting to a friend the other day that the roster, at least in the role player department, has been transformed from a bunch of highly skilled underachievers to a bunch of moderately skilled guys who play their asses off every game. I like it.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

I thought Monroe looked interesting, actually, although he needed a lot more support. I'd be happy to have him on the Pacers,

I really feel he's going to be good, and I'd love to see him in a Pacers' uni.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

We already have a taller Monroe in Hibbert.

Being taller doesn't mean Hibbert is or will be better than Monroe. I feel Monroe has a very bright future in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Being taller doesn't mean Hibbert is or will be better than Monroe. I feel Monroe has a very bright future in the NBA.
    I'm talking about the similarity on the players, I watched Monroe a lot in college, the guy plays the same way Roy does, he is as soft as Roy and as awkward, they are so similar they should be brothers.

Monroe is a very good player. He needs an enforcer next to him, though. He was very much on an island last night. Guys were charging right into him repeatedly and no one put a stop to it. Monroe can't be the guy to dish out the hard fouls. He's more important than that.

Teams are going to keep attacking him if the Pistons don't find someone to put next to him that is going to make opponents think twice about it.

While I think the Pistons have earned the "soft" label after last year's debacle, calling Monroe soft individually is something I'd take exception to. He's not soft, he's just outnumbered.

Also, I didn't say the Pistons WOULD make the playoffs. I said they'd be better than last year, which I stand by, and I said their best-case scenario was the 8th seed.

There's a whole lot of chest-puffing over one game. It's kind of silly. If the Pistons beat the Pacers at home this weekend, does that mean the Pacers are headed to the lottery as well?
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-28-2011 at 12:57 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Monroe is a very good player. He needs an enforcer next to him, though. He was very much on an island last night. Guys were charging right into him repeatedly and no one put a stop to it. Monroe can't be the guy to dish out the hard fouls. He's more important than that.

Teams are going to keep attacking him if the Pistons don't find someone to put next to him that is going to make opponents think twice about it.

While I think the Pistons have earned the "soft" label after last year's debacle, calling Monroe soft individually is something I'd take exception to. He's not soft, he's just outnumbered.

Also, I didn't say the Pistons WOULD make the playoffs. I said they'd be better than last year, which I stand by, and I said their best-case scenario was the 8th seed.

There's a whole lot of chest-puffing over one game. It's kind of silly. If the Pistons beat the Pacers at home this weekend, does that mean the Pacers are headed to the lottery as well?
    Honest question.

Whatever happened to Jason Maxiell? He did not use to be this out of shape or suck this bad.

BTW, IMO a player who could have helped out Greg was Amir Johnson. It's to bad you guys let him get away.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Amir's not really what we need, though. We need a bruiser. We already have hustle guys.

Max just fell off the map after we broke up our championship core. He used to be an effective halfcourt scorer. I think the past couple of years trying to make him a 6'5" center have really screwed him up.