Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Detroit/Pacers postgame thread.

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Detroit/Pacers postgame thread.

I had an amazing time at tonight's game! I got a new hat, a Paul George T-jersey, and a Pacers dogtag. Besides that, I was really impressed with how we played, despite our low shooting percentage.

I do have to say that Brandon Knight played impressively tonight (3-6 from 3, 9pts, 1 rebound, 1 steal). He may not be Kyrie Irving (1-5 from 3, 6 pts, 3 rebs, 6 asts, 1 steal), but every time he shot, I just felt the air leave the Fieldhouse, because you knew it was going in. Maybe that was just me, and even though it was only 3 great shots, I think he's going to be great. I still think Cleveland made the wrong first and fourth picks in the draft.

But beyond that, my favorite plays were Paul George's block and coast-to-coast lay-in, and George Hill's dunk. I'm so excited to see how the rest of the season turns out! Thanks to everyone who made tonight's game an incredible experience, including El Pacero and all of PTO.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man, we started twitter wars with a Pistons beat writer and fans.

http://twitter.com/vgoodwill

Some guy is saying the Pacers are a bad team and the Pistons writer is defending us. I won't post all of it, it's quite long. Just a couple of them.

BigRed6810 Garrett Elliott
    @vgoodwill @stoney16 Really? Looks like the #Pacers are prepared and they aren't a good team either.
    Vincent Goodwill
    @BigRed6810 dude, you don't know basketball. Pacers are a good team. Please don't mention me with your fallacies. #Thanks
    BigRed6810 Garrett Elliott
    @vgoodwill They are a good team? So, a .500 team in the EC is good? Haha! Vinnie, you're going out on a big limb there.
    Vincent Goodwill
    @BigRed6810 umm, adding a 20-10 guy (David West) to a team that went on a run after a coaching change midseason? Yes, reading is fundamental
    Vincent Goodwill
    @BigRed6810 was saying read previews from reputable people saying the Pacers are legit. But far be it for me to expect YOU to do research
    I love this team.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Anybody still want to talk about West like he's some washed up former good player and/or the next Troy Murphy? I'd sure hope not. I love Tyler, but he belongs on the bench at the start of games with West in town. Love them as a combo at the PF.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rewind_111226.html

Roy's interview pretty much was my exact thoughts we played completely different than the preseason the offense was much much better. The shots weren't falling but we played good offense and moved the ball well.

Dwest said it best "if we stay together defensively we could be special" (he knows good defense and good team defense wins in basketball) He is a good player on both ends of the floor. Tonight he missed a few assignments on switches but IMO that is just because he is learning a new defensive scheme with new players. It will take a few games for the defensive rotations to gel IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-27-2011 at 01:38 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Anybody still want to talk about West like he's some washed up former good player and/or the next Troy Murphy? I'd sure hope not. I love Tyler, but he belongs on the bench at the start of games with West in town. Love them as a combo at the PF.
    Just like I was told in the game thread, it was just one game and it was against the Pistons so lets not go crazy here

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just finished the first half and im loving this team already. The offense seemed so much better tonight than in the pre season. The shots werent falling, but that will change. It was a very balanced attack.

I dont think anyone played bad. Grangers shot wasnt falling, but he was much more welk rounded and had a good shot selection. West wasnt hitting shot he normally does, he will be great for this team.

I love the effort and defense this team showed tonight. It was very unselfish play. It really felt like a team out there. When shots start falling... we are gonna be scary.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Just like I was told in the game thread, it was just one game and it was against the Pistons so lets not go crazy here
    You cant compare Troy Murphy to David West one enjoys contact the other enjoys trailing for a 3. Honestly I don't think you have ever watched West play. Really comparing him to Murphy is just disrespectful to his game and what he has done in his career. West has always been one of my favorite players because he is so crafty and plays hard. I was overjoyed to see him in BnG he IMO was the best free agent available and glad we got him. Feared we had to overpay but my god we actually got him for just what I hoped for I honestly didn't think he would take 2yrs 20m(2 yrs 24m was my comfort level to bring him in) but think god he did.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

You know, i gotta give detroit some props on their announcers. They are very good and i have no real complaints about them. Werent very biased, called a fair game and seemed rather knowkedgeable about the pacers.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

First off, I feel like the most important thing that has changed compared to last year is that we are a good play-making point guard away and an near-elite scorer from being the most competitive and hard working team in the league. Things are coming together.

We now have organization, which is huge considering we haven't had organization for an entire season ever since Jim O'Brien was around. We have a steady rotation, and all of the players in our rotation are quality players who have specific roles to the team, and the roles make sense. Last year, we had Paul George being a defender/hustle guy and we had AJ Price off of the bench who was a scorer. James Posey would spread the floor and that was not needed. Those rotations don't make sense, and nowadays they all make perfect sense. I feel like the players know what they are responsible for on the team every game, and that is huge.

Secondly, I think that David West is a very unique player who does what he wants when he wants. He knows what he is capable of, but most importantly he knows what the opposing defender and defense is capable of. He takes advantage of a circumstance and capitalizes on it.

If he sees a small forward guarding him (For example, Jerebko is a small forward size player), he's going to post him up and overpower him. If he is facing up against a strong shotblocker like Ben Wallace, he is going to face up and see if he can get him off of his feet to draw a foul. If there is an elite shotblocker in the game, he's going to spot up in mid range or do pick and rolls. If his matchup is a weak rebounder, than he is going to go after the offensive boards.

With a player who always plays with common sense and uses probability to determine how he is going to abuse his opponent, our team is much improved. During one play he knew that if he gave his defender two hard dribbles with his back to the basket that someone would have to double him. Backing into the defender, David gave the defender two hard dribbles and sure enough a double came. That player was Danny's defender and David kicked the ball out for a three.

What's funny is that before we never had that. We had a bunch of young bigs who were just hungry for blood and would do things like put off balance putbacks up after offensive rebounds and try to make dumb plays, and maybe David could teach them that it's better to play smart and hard than just hard.

Tyler and Roy impressed me a lot. I think that Tyler is the perfect scorer for the second unit, and he is growing to be pretty versatile in his ways to score. He can score off of offensive rebounds, draw fouls, half hook shots, mid range spot up shots, and even mid range off of screens. I also do think that Tyler has improved his rebounding, which is pretty useful.

Roy is showing improvement as far as balance goes and natural instinct and he seems like an actual good fit with David West. He was hitting the boards hard tonight, and he seemingly has his way more, just like he did at the beginning of last season.

Danny's handles are a lot better than last year. That's all I have to say. A lot better. He actually looked comfortable and loose out there.

Paul George is much improved from last year in all aspects of his game. He ran off of screens today, he posted up, he ran the break, and he got to the foul stripe. He is showing flashes of how to do literally everything on the court, and if/when it starts all coming together, he's going to be a handful.

So yeah, everyone looked good except for Darren to me. He just looked the same. George Hill is still working himself in, Dahntay took some tough shots but he did multiple positive things on the court, but Darren's impact on the game just seems minuscule to me. He didn't set anyone up very well, he played his best defense but was still lacking, and he didn't really apply himself and attempt to make his mark on the game other than spot up threes.

That is all that is different from last year. Woo!

PS- I am excited to watch the progression of Lance's play and role throughout the season. I actually do think that there is a possibility he could be that play-making point guard that I referred to in the beginning of the post. He's on the brink of playing scrappy defense, he's huge, he gets out on the break, and he finds people for high percentage shots. That's what we need.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 12-27-2011 at 02:43 AM.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    what were the pace mates doing when they just stood there for one of their performances?
    that was pretty strange, but their next performance made up for it

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mb221 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Secondly, I think that David West is a very unique player who does what he wants when he wants. He knows what he is capable of, but most importantly he knows what the opposing defender and defense is capable of. He takes advantage of a circumstance and capitalizes on it.

If he sees a small forward guarding him (For example, Jerebko is a small forward size player), he's going to post him up and overpower him. If he is facing up against a strong shotblocker like Ben Wallace, he is going to face up and see if he can get him off of his feet to draw a foul. If there is an elite shotblocker in the game, he's going to spot up in mid range or do pick and rolls. If his matchup is a weak rebounder, than he is going to go after the offensive boards.

With a player who always plays with common sense and uses probability to determine how he is going to abuse his opponent, our team is much improved. During one play he knew that if he gave his defender two hard dribbles with his back to the basket that someone would have to double him. Backing into the defender, David gave the defender two hard dribbles and sure enough a double came. That player was Danny's defender and David kicked the ball out for a three.
    Really smart couple paragraphs on West.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Really smart couple paragraphs on West.
    yes they are

The bold is pretty much David West's MO he is gonna use whatever the opponents weakness is and use it against him. He uses his basketball IQ very well he just knows how to get the job done and always has. He is one of thoes guys who is always in the right place on defense and like he says use his opponent to dictate how he will attack. He is very versatile seems like the way Bird and co. have been going getting versatile guys like West.

All I got to say is, if we keep rebounding like that and make those missed shots (we still had 91 points tonight), wow, watch out

A lot of crash all tonight. Both teams missed a lot of good shots, but we just couldnt compete on the glass. We got out toughed, plain and simple.

Indy should win more than a few games this year in the paint.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

The energy & effort in tonight's game were great. I felt like, on offense, we don't yet have the gameplan put together. There were a few times when they really seemed to click, and it ran quite smoothly, and it makes me excited for this season.

West was a beast. He's very physical and smart. I can't wait for him to shake the rust off completely and hit the easy shots he missed. Also, he and Hibbert need to be working together night and day, and hopefully Vogel is working out the gameplan there. Those two together should be impossible to beat on the boards, but also they should be able to play a tremendous two-man game on offense since they can both play inside or outside, and are both good passers for big men. Hibbert can also learn a lot from West's apparent understanding of spacing, position, and versatility.

Lance surprised me a little. I've been very skeptical of him, but he looked good. I hope to see him get more minutes.

PG24 has clearly taken a step forward, and Vogel seems to want to help him along in that. How many plays did Paul actually initiate the offense? He was just given the ball and allowed to make a play. The more we do this, the more comfortable he will feel in that role. I really liked how Vogel used PG24, and how Paul seemed to be able to handle it well. Still a lot of work to do, but he's definitely headed in the right direction.

Overall, I've got a great feeling about this team. With more time on the court together, they're only going to get better. West was right, this team is deep, and if they all stick together, they can be very good. I also love the fact that at no point in this game did I have to question the coaching.

The best part of it all was that they just kept coming at Detroit. Leading by 9 after the 1st Q, by 14 @ half, by 18 after 3, and ran it up to 24 in the 4th before coasting to the finish. I know that this was Detroit, but I really like how aggressive they were through the whole game.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

I has a happy!

Mood

Also, West's tweet was most likely in reference to Lee Evans. A member of the 1968 Olympics who has a brain tumor and no health insurance. He apparently had surgery this past Thursday. I'm assuming the tweet was regarding this because he had a post about it previously. I haven't found any further info, but obviously hope Evans is OK. The tweet sounded pretty ominous though.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Sooo are you trying to say that JOB ball sucked?
    Aside from Granger and Roy(whom had always played in the post. Where can this not be attributed to the actual players capabilities. These are all new and/or young players. It isn't about Vogels mentor, he is irrelavant. If josh becomes an all star then you can pat yourself on the back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Finance' was scared we would get in trouble LOL!
    Just one question... What the heck is a Finance'?

It's what happens when you get engaged to your accountant.

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

4 minutes into the game David West was one of my 3 favorite Pacers.

I liked what I saw from Roy tonight. He had a good game and stayed engaged without us having to force the ball into him in the post all the time. I really only remember one or two "throw the ball in to Roy and stand and watch" type plays. IMO that is a play that should be run about that often. Instead he scored in ways (PnR, tips, etc.) that were more in the flow of the offense which led to his improved efficiency.

My favorite thing was the balance. It seemed like the team was very consciously trying to get all the players involved offensively on a regular basis. I don't know if I should give more credit to DC or Vogel, but I liked it.

I still don't ever want to see Dahntay play offense again.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    It is so nice having a veteran who really knows what he is doing - that is the best thing about West. He does nothing flashy, nothing spectacular, he just knows how to play
    Seconded.

Actually, I was quite impressed with his passing. He's not Chris Paul, but he seems to see the open man in a way that suggests he played a lot with CP. This was not a positive trait I was counting on or had been giving any warning about. I think it may have been the single biggest contributor to our solid, balanced victory.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

My throat is so sore today... It was worth it though! Had a blast with the Area 55 guys! Thought we did a pretty good job of staying active with chants all game.

It was a great game, love to see domination on the boards, hope that continues. Shooting will obviously get better.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    yes they are

The bold is pretty much David West's MO he is gonna use whatever the opponents weakness is and use it against him. He uses his basketball IQ very well he just knows how to get the job done and always has. He is one of thoes guys who is always in the right place on defense and like he says use his opponent to dictate how he will attack. He is very versatile seems like the way Bird and co. have been going getting versatile guys like West.
    Maybe we've finally found our team leader.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Lance surprised me a little. I've been very skeptical of him, but he looked good. I hope to see him get more minutes.
    Anybody heard anything as to why Lance got no minutes in the second half, especially in a blowout?