Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mayo still an option? Do we need him?

Default Is Mayo still an option? Do we need him?

After watching yesterday's Memphis game, I think it is just a Metternich of time untill Mayo again become available. He played 15 invisible minutes. I think he need to change the team to resurrect His career. I think we will get him soon. Jones and Admundson should be enough to get him, I think.

Default Re: Is Mayo still an option? Do we need him?

I don't think we currently need him honestly, and we're not going to trade away a big we just traded for.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

3. The Following User Says Thank You to _The_Future_ For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would trade DJones for Mayo....
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would trade DJones for Mayo....
    Me too, but I would also play Price over Jones at the SF position (ok, not really at SF just trying to make a point). So that really isn't saying much. Jones seems to be one of those players who is capable of playing All-NBA defense, but just doesn't even play close to that level during the regular season. Then when the playoffs come he turns it on. While I have no problem with a player playing better during the playoffs, I also want him to play much better in the regular season than Jones does.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

it wouldn't be a bad idea. Hans is going to struggle being the only offensive option in the second unit.

don't think bird is looking for mayo. the past trades seemed more about getting rid of brandon rush than getting mayo back.

pacers could use a shooter, but don't think mayo's the guy. bird is still looking at the discount isle, imo.

if lance fails to become a legit NBA player, then the issue could be revisited. but for now, i don't see the pacers having any real interest in OJ mayo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Me too, but I would also play Price over Jones at the SF position (ok, not really at SF just trying to make a point). So that really isn't saying much. Jones seems to be one of those players who is capable of playing All-NBA defense, but just doesn't even play close to that level during the regular season. Then when the playoffs come he turns it on. While I have no problem with a player playing better during the playoffs, I also want him to play much better in the regular season than Jones does.
    I would have traded Djones for Mayo before we got Hill but right now no thanks to Mayo.

Even though Djones can disrupt some team chemistry I still think his record proves that he can produce when given the minutes and of course that was always the problem with JOB.

How much better is Mayo to Djones.... A lot? I am sure most people would say he is a ton better but I don't think so. I think he has potential to be a really good player but right now I think he hasn't shown much over the last year or so.

Once the Hill signing happened Mayo just doesn't interest me anymore.

Edit: When Djones got consistent minutes (25 mpg, 09-10), He had a much higher FG% than Mayo so is he worth twice as much as Djones or possibly more? Not to me.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 12-27-2011 at 07:38 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

It would be a perfect situation for Mayo.

He is an unbeleiveable talent, that needs a change. Remember when Beasley was in Miami, he was not playing that well...once he got traded, he starting playing very well.

I would trade for Mayo, let him get comfortable with the team...see how he develops...if he can turn into our #1 scorer; move George to SF and ship Granger and West for Bosh
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I think Lance should play more than DJones. I just don't see were there is any room for Mayo. I think we are set at pretty much every position this year. I don't think any moves are necessary until we are convinced our young talent has reached its peak. I just don't see that it has at all. We could be a VERY deadly team this year. Maybe the most talented in the East if you consider OVERALL talent at every position including the bench.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind picking him up so we have more flexibility to play PG24 at the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I would have traded Djones for Mayo before we got Hill but right now no thanks to Mayo.

Even though Djones can disrupt some team chemistry I still think his record proves that he can produce when given the minutes and of course that was always the problem with JOB.

How much better is Mayo to Djones.... A lot? I am sure most people would say he is a ton better but I don't think so. I think he has potential to be a really good player but right now I think he hasn't shown much over the last year or so.

Once the Hill signing happened Mayo just doesn't interest me anymore.

Edit: When Djones got consistent minutes (25 mpg, 09-10), He had a much higher FG% than Mayo so is he worth twice as much as Djones or possibly more? Not to me.
    I agree that we have no need for Mayo, but I would trade Jones for Mayo.

When it comes to Jones I don't really care about stats. Yeah his stats show he has a decent shooting percentage, but that isn't why I don't like him. He just doesn't make many smart decisions on offense, and plays within a team concept even less. This isn't a game between individuals, this is a game between two teams.

I don't see where the minutes will come from. And don't say "Give him Dahntay's minutes" because even with our current squad I don't think he should be getting any. Collison/Lance/PG/Hill/Granger is 5 guys playing three slots. That sounds right.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mayo needs a change of scenery. Quite frankly, I think he would fit in perfectly here, I really do. That being said, he would fit perfectly as a 6th man type player. Having Hansbrough, Mayo, and Hill all come off the bench would give us such a huge advantage.

Here is the problem: Its going to cost a 1st round pick to get him and this is a very deep draft where you will be able to get high potential players in the mid-1st round which is where we will likely be picking.

If I'm Pacers management, I make one more run at Mayo on a few conditions.

1. The Pacers can find a legit backup 5. I love Foster, but his health just isn't reliable at this stage in his career. Trading a 1st for Mayo would be a move for now, so if we are going to make that move instead of potentially adding a high potential rookie, we need to stack this team up the best we can. There are some bigs out there that could be had for the right price, Jason Thompson, another guy who needs a change of scenery comes to mind - he is more of a PF, but legit Centers are hard to come by. Staying with the Kings Whiteside could be an interesting prospect. Even a guy like Jordan Hill would be a nice pickup. The problem becomes having enough pieces to get a decent big(who can play 5, even if not ideal) and Mayo when all we have to offer is 1st, Jones, Stephenson, Price, and Amundson. I mean, the 1st is the only thing with any kind of value, which means we would need to find a team with a bad contract and take on some salary as well.

2. Mayo would be willing to accept a role as a bench player here. I get it, he thinks he has starter talent, and quite frankly, he probably does. He doesn't need to start here though. If he could get on board with what this Pacer team wants to do in terms of where we are, where we want to be, and the style of basketball we want to play. He could be HUGE for us. If he doesn't buy into it, he could potentially hurt our future.

Making both of those things happen will be hard to do. I wanna say its worth the risk, but it definitely is a risk. Again, I'd only bring in Mayo if we can get another young big as well. Making both of those happen would be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Mayo needs a change of scenery. Quite frankly, I think he would fit in perfectly here, I really do. That being said, he would fit perfectly as a 6th man type player. Having Hansbrough, Mayo, and Hill all come off the bench would give us such a huge advantage.

Here is the problem: Its going to cost a 1st round pick to get him and this is a very deep draft where you will be able to get high potential players in the mid-1st round which is where we will likely be picking.

If I'm Pacers management, I make one more run at Mayo on a few conditions.

1. The Pacers can find a legit backup 5. I love Foster, but his health just isn't reliable at this stage in his career. Trading a 1st for Mayo would be a move for now, so if we are going to make that move instead of potentially adding a high potential rookie, we need to stack this team up the best we can. There are some bigs out there that could be had for the right price, Jason Thompson, another guy who needs a change of scenery comes to mind - he is more of a PF, but legit Centers are hard to come by. Staying with the Kings Whiteside could be an interesting prospect. Even a guy like Jordan Hill would be a nice pickup. The problem becomes having enough pieces to get a decent big(who can play 5, even if not ideal) and Mayo when all we have to offer is 1st, Jones, Stephenson, Price, and Amundson. I mean, the 1st is the only thing with any kind of value, which means we would need to find a team with a bad contract and take on some salary as well.

2. Mayo would be willing to accept a role as a bench player here. I get it, he thinks he has starter talent, and quite frankly, he probably does. He doesn't need to start here though. If he could get on board with what this Pacer team wants to do in terms of where we are, where we want to be, and the style of basketball we want to play. He could be HUGE for us. If he doesn't buy into it, he could potentially hurt our future.

Making both of those things happen will be hard to do. I wanna say its worth the risk, but it definitely is a risk. Again, I'd only bring in Mayo if we can get another young big as well. Making both of those happen would be very difficult.
    If you think Mayo is that good, isn't he right now as good as you would hope our draft pick would be in a few years? If so, why not make that trade?

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

He is an unbeleiveable talent, that needs a change. Remember when Beasley was in Miami, he was not playing that well...once he got traded, he starting playing very well.

I would trade for Mayo, let him get comfortable with the team...see how he develops...if he can turn into our #1 scorer; move George to SF and ship Granger and West for Bosh
    Doing that trade would only make the Heat better and just might make us worse.... Bosh didn't do too well as the main scorer in Toronto. I think that would take us a step back. I like where the team is at now. If we cold get Mayo for Jones that's the only deal worth making right now.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If you think Mayo is that good, isn't he right now as good as you would hope our draft pick would be in a few years? If so, why not make that trade?
    I said I would make the trade, as long as we take other steps to make the team better in the process.

But also, Mayo comes with concerns. Is he willing to fit in with what we want to do?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't see where the minutes will come from. And don't say "Give him Dahntay's minutes" because even with our current squad I don't think he should be getting any. Collison/Lance/PG/Hill/Granger is 5 guys playing three slots. That sounds right.
    I think that if Bird had the opportunity to get an experienced vet that can score to fill out the wing rotation, Lance would be benched in favor of putting a more dominant and deep GF rotation that can put up some scoring. I don't think that Mayo is that guy...but I think that there are opportunities that could be had to improve the rotation before the trade deadline.

Bold Prediction....I think that if no opportunities present themselves....I think Bird will make a run at JR Smith when he returns from China...IF he is willing to play for the remainder of the season while NOT signing beyond this season. He's no less of a chucker than JCraw ( clearly not as good as JCraw ) but clearly a scorer. I know that he had some off court issues...but as a stop gap solution to help in a playoff run without affecting the 2012 Salary cap....I think that Bird would make a run at Smith IF NO opportunities are there before the trade deadline.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-28-2011 at 03:07 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Bosh???????????
    If you say my man Lamarcus or Amare...

You really believe the bolded part? Seriously?

I think he would be more of a fifth leading scorer. Maybe.

And trading Granger and West for Bosh???????????????? For Stinkin' Bosh? Now you've really got to be pulling our chains.
    Last edited by Tom White; 12-28-2011 at 09:32 AM.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Doing that trade would only make the Heat better and just might make us worse.... Bosh didn't do too well as the main scorer in Toronto. I think that would take us a step back. I like where the team is at now. If we cold get Mayo for Jones that's the only deal worth making right now.
    Bosh did VERY well in Toronto.

He had absolutely no supporting cast. Their big signing was Hedo, and we all know how that went
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

He had absolutely no supporting cast. Their big signing was Hedo, and we all know how that went

Their big acquisition was for JO, and we ALL knew how that was going to turn out! The same wherever he goes, he just needs to hang it up. He started at center for the Celtics last night and in 22 minutes 0/1. And to think some of you are interested in bringing him back! Retire JO just retire.

I think we should at least try to get him here. I trust Larry's talent evaluation 110%!!! He tried twice to get him, so this is enough for me to believe that he can be repeat of JO trade. We can still potential all star who is in wrong place right now.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'd rather try to develop Lance.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Having no supporting cast doesn't make up for the huge flaws in him as a PF and the leader of the team. Someone has to score, and for Toronto it was Bosh.

The Pacers still need that one guy that can create for himself IMO.