Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would u have mentor pg

Default Who would u have mentor pg

Imagine your bird and you want pg to improve and develop while trying to allow him to meet up to his potential who would u have mentor him...we've seen him use Walton as a mentor for hibbert so just curious who u guys would pick if I were bird I'd choose d Johnson who bird has called his favorite teammate ever! Also dj being a very good defensive too with decent offensive abilities that's my vote from off the top of my head.....

Default Re: Who would u have mentor pg

DJ passed away back in 2007

... R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Billy Knight? I want Paul to become a dominant offensive player. Billy Knight had a scorer's mentality. He used to go toe to toe with George Gervin. That's what I want from Paul George.

Man now I feel like an idiot....And Billy knight sounds like a good one

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 8 thee great t h For This Useful Post:

Banned

Scottie Pippen.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Scottie Pippen.
    How would u being Larry bird do that

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3 8 thee great t h View Post
    How would u being Larry bird do that
    Give Scottie's broke *** some money.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie Miller or Larry Bird neither one had the physical ability that Paul has but they did have the mental edge over most opponents and the work ethic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I wish Reggie would have got a job on this team somehow instead of going to broadcasting. Having him and Larry around would be great. I would love for Reggie to take time with Paul and turn him into our next franchise player. Only problem is Reggie wasn't nearly as athletic as Paul or as much of a defensive stopper so I don't know...
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 12-25-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Reggie Miller was a great shooter when he was open. And he knew how to work hard without the ball to get open. But he didn't have the total all around offensive game. He scored a lot of points, but I don't consider him a "scorer". I don't see Paul George turning into that kind of player.

Derrick McKey would be good.

About the same size & McKey was an outstanding defender.

Miller would be bad pick, their offernsive games are nothing alike.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Reggie Miller was a great shooter when he was open. And he knew how to work hard without the ball to get open. But he didn't have the total all around offensive game. He scored a lot of points, but I don't consider him a "scorer". I don't see Paul George turning into that kind of player.
    It isnt about what kind of player he was it was how he acted on the court and how he had the mental toughness and the work ethic to improve his game.

This isnt a comparison it is asking who do you think can help Paul George reach his potential and by far I would take Reggie and Larry over anyone else outside of MJ JMO.

mental toughness and work ethic from Larry and Reggie >> than what Scottie could teach the guy basketball wise IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It isnt about what kind of player he was it was how he acted on the court and how he had the mental toughness and the work ethic to improve his game.

This isnt a comparison it is asking who do you think can help Paul George reach his potential and by far I would take Reggie and Larry over anyone else outside of MJ JMO.

mental toughness and work ethic from Larry and Reggie >> than what Scottie could teach the guy basketball wise IMO.
    But Paul George's potential is much different that Reggie's. Reggie never developed his total offensive game. Why not? Cause he was a great shooter and that's what he wanted to be. I hope that Paul George becomes a great shooter. But I want him to also become a great scorer. I don't think Reggie can teach him that or understands that mentality. Billy Knight could.

If it's just mental aspects then hire a sports psychologist.

And yeah, I'm totally discounting defense. I'd love to see Paul George become a great defender. But his offense is what we need the most. And that's where he can really be special. The defense is a bonus.

How exactly was Reggie not a scorer? And please tell me when he ever struggled to put up points when his team needed it... Just because Reggie didn't take guys off the dribble and instead utilized screens, ball fakes, jab steps, floaters, etc to get shots off, doesn't mean he wasn't a scorer. In fact, very few players in NBA hisory were more efficient scoring the basketball than Reggie Miller.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Reggie Miller was a great shooter when he was open. And he knew how to work hard without the ball to get open. But he didn't have the total all around offensive game. He scored a lot of points, but I don't consider him a "scorer".
    Then you need to go back and watch the tape.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Well guys, I hate to say it but he does have a point.

Reggie was a shooter, Reggie was also a scorer but I have a feeling what he is talking about is the ability to put the ball on the floor take your man off of the dribble & drive the the lane for a darting +1.

Reggie could, but Reggie for 98% of his career did not do this.

In fact I can say confidently that he didn't have that type of ability to do it on a regular basis.

Reggie could run his man ragged off of picks & screens and nobody moved better without the ball but no Reggie wasn't a player that you threw the ball to with 10 seconds left and said "create". He was the guy you threw the ball to with 2 seconds left and said shoot.

Again, this is not to disrespect Reggie, however let's not assume that he was a well rounded scorer ala Michael Jordan, he just wasn't. (yes I realize that M.J. is an extreme example but saying Sleepy Floyd would not have the same impact).

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Well guys, I hate to say it but he does have a point.

Reggie was a shooter, Reggie was also a scorer but I have a feeling what he is talking about is the ability to put the ball on the floor take your man off of the dribble & drive the the lane for a darting +1.

Reggie could, but Reggie for 98% of his career did not do this.

In fact I can say confidently that he didn't have that type of ability to do it on a regular basis.

Reggie could run his man ragged off of picks & screens and nobody moved better without the ball but no Reggie wasn't a player that you threw the ball to with 10 seconds left and said "create". He was the guy you threw the ball to with 2 seconds left and said shoot.

Again, this is not to disrespect Reggie, however let's not assume that he was a well rounded scorer ala Michael Jordan, he just wasn't. (yes I realize that M.J. is an extreme example but saying Sleepy Floyd would not have the same impact).
    What people lose sight of so often is that basketball is a TEAM game. The ability to move off screens and use the fundamentals I mentioned to create a shot is indeed a facet of scoring. Jordan, Starks, Kobe, etc have all stated Reggie was one of, if not the most difficult player for them to guard. It's a shame people think the only way to be a great offensive player anymore is if you run isolation and let your "scorer" go one on one. Even Jordan moved without the ball far more than he's given credit for and than what you see in today's game.

I challenge anyone to tell me a time when Reggie truly struggled to get a shot off. The reason he's a guy you could turn to with 2 seconds left is BECAUSE he knew how to get his shot. That makes him a scorer. Just because he deferred in the regular season since he had solid offensive players around him, doesn't mean he couldn't have easily been a 27+ppg player for his career. His playoff numbers and offensive efficiency numbers bare this out.

Actually Jordan's shooting percentages and scoring efficiency were never that phenomenal. I remember being a kid and being obsessed with stats on basketball cards (pre Internet days). I convinced myself that if Reggie shot the ball as much as Jordan did, he would have been a BETTER scorer.

That's why I think croz24 has a great point. But on the other hand maybe Reggie didn't shoot a lot more because he couldn't take his man one on one to the hole like Jordan could. But I still remember for years Reggie deferring on wide open shots, so he definitely wasn't a ball hog and could have definitely been one of if not the best scorer of all time if he would have put personal greatness over team greatness.

People attacking me? On Christmas? Gee!

I probably liked Reggie as much or more than any of you. I don't think I said anything bad about about Reggie.

But I feel that players can be defined by how they play. I consider shooter and scorer to be two different kinds of players. I'd put Reggie in the shooter category. It has nothing to do with how many points he scored. I'd put Billy Knight in the scorer category.

This thread is about choosing a mentor for Paul George. I see Paul's future fitting in the scorer category. I loved watching Reggie relentlessly move on the court working to get open. But very few players do that, Reggie was special. And I don't foresee Paul George ever becoming that kind of player.

Maybe I should have used a different term than "scorer". But the difference seemed obvious to me.

And I have great respect for Reggie's mental approach to the game. But that doesn't mean he'd make a good mentor for any type of player. Not a center or a point guard for example. At least not in my opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Give Scottie's broke *** some money.
    Reason why I think is possible Really Pippen is the one person I would love to mentor PG and teach him how to play the game.

Pippen would be great seeing as he was a lengthy defender as well. I know Jax and DRose are different types of players, but I would love to see PG do to DRose what Pippen did to Mark Jackson...

If we wanted Miller to mentor anyone it would have been Rush.

As far as George, I would say Magic Johnson.

Mood

I'm surprised no one has mentioned: George 'The Iceman' Gervin. He would be a perfect choice to teach PG how to be aggressive.

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

31. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Also wouldnt mind if he spent the summer with The Dream. With his size and athletic ability if he had a good post game he would be a really tough matchup on a nightly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Also wouldnt mind if he spent the summer with The Dream. With his size and athletic ability if he had a good post game he would be a really tough matchup on a nightly basis.
    Yeah, a little bit of a post game or someone to help work on his handles non-stop.