Thread: What's the deal with Rashad McCants?

Default What's the deal with Rashad McCants?

I've kind of lost track of the guy since he came into the league. Despite coming out of the much hyped 2005 North Carolina class, I thought he had a chance to be really good. Looking at his stats in the NBA, he averaged nearly 15 points a game in 26 minutes of playing time. He didn't play for a team last year and is currently unsigned.

What's the cause of people not wanting him? Behavioral problems? Injury? Is he a low risk/high reward player we could take a look at? During his career year, he was 40% behind the three point line. I remember him knocking down the long ball at NC a lot. Then again, his career seems reminiscent of Brandon Rush, a guy we just traded away.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's the deal with Rashad McCants?

I think it's partly becaues of attitude problems, and the rest would be his ego. More of a shoot-first and shoot-second type of player. He seems to get outplayed by other players no matter where he goes. Just my assessment...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Don't we need a shoot first guy in crunch time?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not that good at shooting first.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    Yes. But I watched the NCAA finals live when North Carolina won, and it wasn't McCants who hit the clutch shot. It was Felton.

Similarly, it was not Rush who hit the big clutch shot for Kansas. It was Chalmers. We should have drafted him instead.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/07/17/ra...nother-chance/

In the next issue of ESPN The Magazine, Chris Palmer explains why Rashad McCants isn't playing NBA basketball any more. The piece, which is online, certainly paints McCants as misunderstood and perhaps even pitiable. McCants, a national champion with the University of North Carolina in 2006, hasn't played since finishing 2008-09 with the Kings and becoming a free agent. The Rockets brought the guard to training camp before the 2009-10 season, but McCants suffered an abdominal injury before camp opened and couldn't compete for a job. The entire 2009-10 season went by without a single minute of McCants in the NBA.

Yet McCants has never been arrested, never been suspended for disciplinary reasons, and never been benched for anything other than a perception of bad attitude. The refrain throughout Palmer's story is that McCants has been dealt a bad hand by an NBA that doesn't understand him. Former Wolves coach Randy Wittman is the enemy for taking away McCants' captaincy. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle is a part of the problem for asking McCants to see a psychiatrist before Dallas offers a contract. Basically, McCants can't catch a break, but has little culpability in the matter.

McCants was offered a spot on Cleveland's Vegas Summer League team this summer, perhaps a break which would have led to an NBA comeback. The Cavs, after all, need to replace a certain big-name scorer. But McCants never showed up to Cleveland's mini-camp before Vegas, and didn't contact the team until it was already in Las Vegas playing games. Cavs assistant coach Paul Pressey told the Cleveland Plain Dealer he had been looking forward to coaching McCants in Vegas because he's a "heck of a talent."

But McCants didn't show, and allegedly didn't tell the team he wasn't going to show.

The Willoughby, Ohio, New-Herald reports McCants didn't show up because his mother had become ill in North Carolina. His agent claims he told the Cavs in advance, but obviously the coaching staff didn't know.

On the one hand, it's another bad break. Bad timing. An opportunity knocked off track by circumstances outside McCants' control.

On the other hand, it's an avoidable situation in that McCants and his agent could have made sure the world knew he was tending to his sick mother and not just blowing off another opportunity. It took a week for McCants' explanation to come out, a week in which Rashad's already low stock sunk in the eyes of any franchise who'd take him.

But Palmer's story could very well help McCants get another shot. Rashad can't blow it. Time is ticking.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hmmm. Sounds to me like McCants was telling a "story", to put it nicely.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Yardbarker has multiple story lines.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/player...d_mccants/4603

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last I heard, he was trying his hand at acting

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab-323482

That article is just another in the long line of excuses why someone can't take responsibility for their own actions. Sure, it is all Whitman's and Carlisle's faults. Poor little Rashad couldn't have had anything to do with it.

It makes me sick to death every time I read something like this. Misunderstood my ***!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

It was Chalmers. We should have drafted him instead.

Chalmers was 1 of 3 players I wanted Bird to draft in the 08 draft. I wanted Bird to trade up in the 2nd round to get him.