Thread: Vogel says offense was not a focus early on

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Vogel says offense was not a focus early on

Says Vogel:

"With only two weeks since we started, we don't have a lot of offense in, so we're growing in that area," Vogel said. "We've made some adjustments to our base defenses that will be with us more regularly than what we saw in training camp. Just trying to cover all the bases."
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...signing-Pacers

I actually find this encouraging, because the offense did look pretty bad. And I like the idea of Vogel making defense the first priority. Hopefully, we will see some good things offensively over the next couple weeks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vogel says offense was not a focus early on

I feel bad for Vogel. He's be given a pretty tough situation. Came in during the season and couldn't really make a lot of changes on offense/defense. Then the lockout happened and further hampered his ability to really implement his style of play.

I think he'll be fine in the long run, but I just hope management gives him a fair chance.

He seems to keep his cool and say all the right things. I'm truly rooting for Vogel to succeed.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Vogel hasn't had a chance. His first chance to properly implement his system will be next year after the team has a summer league and full preseason. But I don't feel too sorry for him. The expectations should factor all of this in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His first chance to properly implement his system will be next year after the team has a summer league and full preseason.
    Yeah, Vogel said as much in the last couple weeks. Hopefully they can get something worked on in the next few days, cause right now it looks terrible.

I'm excited to see some West PnR action, but I'm concerned how Danny's going to play. I know he always sucks in the preseason, but good points have been made about his inconsistency when he's not the focal point.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't mind this. If we can play good defense, we'll have a chance in every game simply by default. The offense will work itself out, though it may take awhile to acclimate the new guys. Start with defense, and build from there. Good plan.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I don't mind this. If we can play good defense, we'll have a chance in every game simply by default. The offense will work itself out, though it may take awhile to acclimate the new guys. Start with defense, and build from there. Good plan.
    Have to agree. I love defensive minded teams. Shut down the opponent and you have a great chance of winning.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA teams have a playbook for offense?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

And this would be even better if we had that component that can create their own shot. This way even if the offense is out of sync early we have that dynamic type of offensive player that can break a D down and salvage us during those dry spurts.

But of course, we don't have that. Not unless Lance or PG make major strides and NOW.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    And this would be even better if we had that component that can create their own shot. This way even if the offense is out of sync early we have that dynamic type of offensive player that can break a D down and salvage us during those dry spurts.

But of course, we don't have that. Not unless Lance or PG make major strides and NOW.
    Danny and D-West are completely capable. If not them then Tyler has the ability as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm ok with anything as long as they don't put too much focus on shooting threes and stretching the floor.

Sports Logo

Offense is the last thing that I have to worry about when it comes to this Team. I want our defense to have a really good defense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm ok with anything as long as they don't put too much focus on shooting threes and stretching the floor.
    I hate to tell you this, but the first practice Vogel showed the guys how to dye all their hair but the sideburns.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This Is the rhetoric you always hear, but I don't completely agree. If you can hold a team to 35% shooting that's a pretty good defense, but if you can't shoot 33% you aren't going to beat anyone.

Not to mention that if your opponent doesn't have to work very hard on defense you've made it even harder to defend them.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Good to hear. Honestly, I'm really not the concern about the offense either. They had some good shot selection (minus the chucking from Granger) in the preseason games. The shots just didn't fall. I remember in a game thread how someone mentioned that a lot of the shots were cylindering out.

IMHO, Vogel needs to make each individual player HIT 200-500 shots before they can leave practice for the next couple of days/weeks to improve their shooting percentages. Before anyone makes the comment, I would make them shoot their "expected" shot. Hibbert - 500 hook shots, Granger - 250 3's, 250 MID, George - 100 3's, 400 MID, D. Jones - 250 dunks, etc.

Based from the past 3 games, the current tactic of working more on defense than on offense seems working for the first 3 games. While the first opponents are not that strong, the Pacers have beat them through scrappy play, all without an FG of more than 40%. While I hope they can improve their offense as the season goes on, I am hoping more that they don't stop or slow down on their defensive intensity.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post: