Thread: Foreign FA Market

Default Foreign FA Market

Although it is probably unlikely that we find a guy who has been overseas making a name for himself that could make an impact with the 2nd unit as the perimeter threat we are reportedly in the market for, its not impossible. Any ideas ?

One guy that has always been someone I was excited to see in the NBA and then went un-drafted (which honestly really surprised me) is Dionte Christmas. I kind of forgot about him until today but it looks like he has had a great year in Greece this year with averages of 19 pts, 4 rbs, 2 ast, 2 stl in 31 mins per game. He is also pretty efficient with a 47% FG and 42% 3pt….the guy could flat out score the ball at Temple and had ice in his veins……I think he is worth a look with one of our roster spots if we cant bring in anybody else via trade. Doesn't hurt that he just turned 25.

Default Re: Foreign FA Market

It'd be fitting if we signed him tomorrow

Ha it is funny that I would bring this up today, but honestly has nothing to do with it….the irony

There's the guard I'm always hearing about, Cordobes has mentioned a time or two that he should already be in the NBA...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's the guard I'm always hearing about, Cordobes has mentioned a time or two that he should already be in the NBA...
    Milos Teodosic should be in the NBA but word is he wants to stay in Europe for his whole career. he has turned down a few NBA offers. He reminds me of a guy like Cabbages or Beno Udrith he would be a good role player if he can at least be average or below average on D.

Bo Mccalebb should be in the NBA also he should come over pretty soon. Both of them would certainly be good players in the NBA. Bo actually reminds me a lot of Darren or Kemba Walker

I would love to have one of them on the Pacers but it isnt gonna happen.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-25-2011 at 03:25 AM.

What happened to Greg Smith ? Did he sign somewhere overseas ? I still like him as a front court prospect as well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    What happened to Greg Smith ? Did he sign somewhere overseas ? I still like him as a front court prospect as well.
    He hasnt cleared waivers yet we should know by today if anyone claimed him. If not he has said he will go to the Rockets Dleague team. I doubt he gets picked up he isnt ready he should regret coming out. If I was him I would of waited until I was a senior JMO but he doesnt have the motor skill combo to make it in the NBA right now.

http://www.kmph.com/story/16388460/gr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Yeah he is def a project but I think a player to watch. At just 20 years old still has a lot of upside.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Milos Teodosic should be in the NBA but word is he wants to stay in Europe for his whole career. he has turned down a few NBA offers. He reminds me of a guy like Cabbages or Beno Udrith he would be a good role player if he can at least be average or below average on D.

Bo Mccalebb should be in the NBA also he should come over pretty soon. Both of them would certainly be good players in the NBA. Bo actually reminds me a lot of Darren or Kemba Walker

I would love to have one of them on the Pacers but it isnt gonna happen.
    You probably like Teodosic as a NBA prospect more than I do. I agree with the Cabbages comparison. He's already a bad defender in Europe, in the NBA he'd be dreadful.

Fully agreed about McCalebb. He was having a phenomenal season till his injury after a great WC. Top contender for Euroleague MVP, I'd only rate Lorbek and Kirilenko ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Not sure who that may be. Probably McCalebb? He's more of a scoring PG. A great guy to be the offensive dynamo of a 2nd unit. If not, I don't know.

If the OP's idea is a perimeter shot-creator, I can't think of many other options. Teodosic's teammate in CSKA, Alexey Shved, is developing into a terrific 1on1 scorer, but he's not there yet. Then you have guys like Jaycee Carroll, who would be more of an Eddie House type of player in the NBA. Keith Langford maybe. Very improved in his jumpshot and ballscreen game. But George Hill is easily better than any of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    Ha it is funny that I would bring this up today, but honestly has nothing to do with it….the irony
    not irony, coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Not sure who that may be. Probably McCalebb? He's more of a scoring PG. A great guy to be the offensive dynamo of a 2nd unit. If not, I don't know.
    Yep, that's the guy. I'd seen him play a time or two but just couldn't remember his name.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    not irony, coincidence
    Way to be the fly in his Chardonnay.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    not irony, coincidence
    Don't be such a downer. You're like rain on a wedding day.
    2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:

Can't remember who compared McCalebb to Darren but...no. Really, they have completely different games, I'm sure Cordobes can say as much. He likes to attack much more, and his kind of body allows him to be disruptive on the offensive end. He's less of a shooter, and less of a passer than Collison, but dude is a leader on the floor.

One guy I've learned to love over the years is Jaycee Carroll. Wouldn't probably amount to much if transferred over to the NBA, but as a shooter in Europe you won't find many as good as he is. Ray Allen Europe version, at least that's my comparision.

Teodosic basically said he's not interested in joining the NBA anytime soon, if ever.

Navarro could be a fit, but his NBA days are likely over...and he's the absolute leader and fan icon in Barcelona, won't leave that.

Domercant is still a great shooter, but he's getting up in age. Then you have Sato, or Shved...not guys who would help us a great deal, IMO.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Can't remember who compared McCalebb to Darren but...no. Really, they have completely different games, I'm sure Cordobes can say as much. He likes to attack much more, and his kind of body allows him to be disruptive on the offensive end. He's less of a shooter, and less of a passer than Collison, but dude is a leader on the floor.

One guy I've learned to love over the years is Jaycee Carroll. Wouldn't probably amount to much if transferred over to the NBA, but as a shooter in Europe you won't find many as good as he is. Ray Allen Europe version, at least that's my comparision.

Teodosic basically said he's not interested in joining the NBA anytime soon, if ever.

Navarro could be a fit, but his NBA days are likely over...and he's the absolute leader and fan icon in Barcelona, won't leave that.

Domercant is still a great shooter, but he's getting up in age. Then you have Sato, or Shved...not guys who would help us a great deal, IMO.
    Darren doesn't attack since when?? I compared him to Kemba Walker and DC2 who imo does attack lol.

Jaycee Carroll sucked when he tried to make the NBA he was terrible the times he got a shot in summer league. He really isnt NBA material especially being 6'2 he is like a broke mans Ben Gordon he couldn't guard a chair in summer league. Paul George and Lance torched the kid in summer league. He is a great player in Euro league though but he is clearly not NBA material. Now that he is on Madrid I get to see a lot more of his games.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-27-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Darren doesn't attack since when?? I compared him to Kemba Walker and DC2 who imo does attack lol.
    Dude, I said he attacks more, not that DC doesn't attack the basket. If you've seen even one game of McCalebb you know they don't play like each other at all. Just watch Siena when he comes back.
    Or if you watch the LegaA regularly, then you seriously need to recheck.

Jaycee Carroll sucked when he tried to make the NBA he was terrible the times he got a shot in summer league. He really isnt NBA material especially being 6'2 he is like a broke mans Ben Gordon he couldn't guard a chair in summer league. Paul George and Lance torched the kid in summer league. He is a great player in Euro league though but he is clearly not NBA material. Now that he is on Madrid I get to see a lot more of his games.
    That's why I said he wouldn't amount to much in the NBA. Doesn't make him less of a shooter tho, especially if you saw him some at Gran Canaria.

In my view, McCalebb and Collison are both smallish ultra-quick guards. McCalebb is more compact physically and more explosive and aggressive going to the rim. He was a very bad jump-shooter, so his entire game was built around slashing and finishing with those acrobatic lay-ups. Not sure which comparison to make.. a smart Nate Robinson, a smaller Russell Westbrook, Aaron Brooks - Kemba Walker by the looks of it, certainly -... any comparison will always be somewhat flawed.

Btw, McCalebb shot 44% from the 3 last Euroleague season and is at 67% this one (and at an incredible - especially for a 6ft player - 87% in close range shots). Still in the high30s in the Italian league with larger samples ( and maybe more careless shot-selection) but he's clearly more comfortable shooting from distance and his mechanics on the pull-up jumper have improved quite a bit too. He's more fluid and confident shooting the ball than, say, in his early Partizan days.

Another funny comparison (based on the European Championships this Summer):

I think McCalebb could be for a NBA team what Bobby Jackson was for those Sacramento Kings in the early 00s.

Carroll is a spectacular player to watch indeed - considering his style of play, I'd say he's more of the Euroleague's Reggie Miller. But he's a 6'2'' shooting-guard with poor ball-handling and defensive contributions. Eddie House type of player in the NBA, if he's lucky enough to find an ideal spot.

I've always liked Sato, he could have had a nice NBA career, but he's more of a Brandon Rush type of player, not a shot-creator.
    Last edited by cordobes; 12-27-2011 at 12:32 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

No love for Christmas ?

I haven't seen him (I sort of remember watching him in Summer League 1 year ago). He's not playing in European competitions, only in the Greek league (personally I only follow the continental competitions (Euroleague+Eurocup) + ACB + playoff games in a couple of other domestic leagues). I may catch a random game from the greek league now and then but never watched Christmas' teams. His stats are pretty good, albeit not completely out of the ordinary. There are very large imbalances in European basketball, it's always better to see how these guys can do playing for a top team. Anyway, I'll ask about him.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    In my view, McCalebb and Collison are both smallish ultra-quick guards. McCalebb is more compact physically and more explosive and aggressive going to the rim. He was a very bad jump-shooter, so his entire game was built around slashing and finishing with those acrobatic lay-ups. Not sure which comparison to make.. a smart Nate Robinson, a smaller Russell Westbrook, Aaron Brooks - Kemba Walker by the looks of it, certainly -... any comparison will always be somewhat flawed.

Btw, McCalebb shot 44% from the 3 last Euroleague season and is at 67% this one (and at an incredible - especially for a 6ft player - 87% in close range shots). Still in the high30s in the Italian league with larger samples ( and maybe more careless shot-selection) but he's clearly more comfortable shooting from distance and his mechanics on the pull-up jumper have improved quite a bit too. He's more fluid and confident shooting the ball than, say, in his early Partizan days.

Another funny comparison (based on the European Championships this Summer):

I think McCalebb could be for a NBA team what Bobby Jackson was for those Sacramento Kings in the early 00s.

Carroll is a spectacular player to watch indeed - considering his style of play, I'd say he's more of the Euroleague's Reggie Miller. But he's a 6'2'' shooting-guard with poor ball-handling and defensive contributions. Eddie House type of player in the NBA, if he's lucky enough to find an ideal spot.

I've always liked Sato, he could have had a nice NBA career, but he's more of a Brandon Rush type of player, not a shot-creator.
    Thanks cordobes. Glad to see you share some of my views