Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amundson

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Amundson

I thought we would see a little bit of him in the last preseason game. Was he even dressed?

Do you think he will get some minutes in our first game against Detroit?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Amundson

I'll just think of him as Solo light. If he sees any minutes it'll be in garbage time.

I think he arrived in Indy just the day before the last preseason game, if I remember correctly, and that's the reason the didn't play him in that game.

I think he's definitely a better player than Solo - higher motor as they say in football - and will play quite a bit more, particularly with the Pacers wanting to limit Foster's minutes early in the season.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...signing-Pacers

"With only two weeks since we started, we don't have a lot of offense in, so we're growing in that area," Vogel said. "We've made some adjustments to our base defenses that will be with us more regularly than what we saw in training camp. Just trying to cover all the bases."

Amundson, acquired from Golden State earlier this week, practiced for the first time Thursday. The forward, who is wearing Mike Dunleavy's old No. 17 jersey, had to wait until the Pacers exchanged physical records with the Warriors.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks. Good catch. I found the first paragraph even more interesting and started a new thread with it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'll just think of him as Solo light. If he sees any minutes it'll be in garbage time.
    I can only imagine by light you mean he has lighter toned skin, because there is no way he is worse than Solo.

Solo was weak and unagressive, Amundson is all hustle and grit.
    It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.-William Munny

All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sum***** takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down.-William Munny

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigdaddy19 For This Useful Post:

I guess we have this guy just in case one of our bigs gets injured and we can give Amundson some minutes. This way we have an insurence that Foster doesnt have to play major minutes.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy19 View Post
    I can only imagine by light you mean he has lighter toned skin, because there is no way he is worse than Solo.

Solo was weak and unagressive, Amundson is all hustle and grit.
    He is Tyler minus the double-double!
    I bet he gets more than garbage time. Especially if West gets time at center.
    With Amundson and Tyler getting time at the 4, opposing teams with be hurting and in foul trouble. Power Forwards will not enjoy seeing Indiana on the court!!!!

Mood

I think he will get some minutes, but just not much at this time. I don't see him as a newer version of Solo, but rather as Foster 2.0

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I think he will get some minutes, but just not much at this time. I don't see him as a newer version of Solo, but rather as Foster 2.0
    Solo comparisions dont make much sense. Foster 2.0 does. Even though he is a little tougher and more athletic then Jeff.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Some people on here obviously haven't watched Amundson play... he was one of the key guys off the bench for the Suns when they went to the WCF.

It totally depends on which Lou we get.

If we get the injured Lou from G.S. who either lost a step or had nagging issues then he will be a one & done player here who will see little to no time on the floor.

If we get the Lou who played for the Suns then you are looking at a player who will play 12-15 min. every night and some nights more.

My dream is to see him & Tyler on the floor at the same time, however I am also aware that sometimes when you have two dynamic forces at the same time in the same area they can sometimes cancel each other out.

So, I guess my answer (as weak as it is) is that we'll see.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    He is Tyler minus the double-double!
    I bet he gets more than garbage time. Especially if West gets time at center.
    With Amundson and Tyler getting time at the 4, opposing teams with be hurting and in foul trouble. Power Forwards will not enjoy seeing Indiana on the court!!!!
    He is more physical on D than Tyler. He's like the defensive version of Tyler on offense because he's all effort and energy. I think JO went crying home to mama when Amundson whipped him.

So, Foster 2.0 is a good comparison...but he's a tad bit more mobile and a tad bit more annoying. It will be a good time watching him. He's also like a smaller version of Joakim Noah or Anderson Varejao. He will help our team's defensive intensity on the interior.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    It totally depends on which Lou we get.

If we get the injured Lou from G.S. who either lost a step or had nagging issues then he will be a one & done player here who will see little to no time on the floor.

If we get the Lou who played for the Suns then you are looking at a player who will play 12-15 min. every night and some nights more.

My dream is to see him & Tyler on the floor at the same time, however I am also aware that sometimes when you have two dynamic forces at the same time in the same area they can sometimes cancel each other out.

So, I guess my answer (as weak as it is) is that we'll see.
    I hope G.S. just didn't know how to use him properly. If he's healthy, I'm sure he will be helpful.

Also, the Tyler / Lou combo has been something I've wanted to see as well. Two extremely high motor guys on the floor at the same time. I can see fast break dunks by Tyler. Imagine those guys being your bigs coming off the bench against the scrubs that many teams have. It would be complete domination because they never stop going 100%.

Mood

Granted I haven't seen a ton of clips, but I've seen more than a few on Synergy and I thought Lou looked decent with the Warriors, at least in the pieces that I caught a glimpse. Maybe he looked bad overall, but he certainly didn't strike me as 'broken down' or anything to that effect.

So from what I saw and from reading him say back in September that this year he's healthy and last year he wasn't, plus the fact that he's not old, I'm expecting something more like we saw in Phoenix.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

After the trade for Amundson happened, I looked up some pre draft measurements. I knew who he was, but not as well as I thought. Amundson has a no step vert of 32" and a max vert of 35.5" both very respectable. Combine his vert with his almost 7' wingspan (6' 11.5") and I can see him as a very capable shot blocker. He also had 14 reps on bench press, not spectacular but good. For reference Derrick Favors 14 reps, Kenneth Faried 16 reps, Tyler 18 reps, Blake Griffin 22 reps, Joey Graham 26 reps (wow).
    I have seen unathletic thrown around in some other threads when discussing Amundson, I think he more athletic than some think.
    It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.-William Munny

All right, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sum***** takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down.-William Munny

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigdaddy19 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just hope our guys can respect his bike better than Shaq did:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He is more physical on D than Tyler. He's like the defensive version of Tyler on offense because he's all effort and energy. I think JO went crying home to mama when Amundson whipped him.

So, Foster 2.0 is a good comparison...but he's a tad bit more mobile and a tad bit more annoying. It will be a good time watching him. He's also like a smaller version of Joakim Noah or Anderson Varejao. He will help our team's defensive intensity on the interior.
    Very good comparison, I want to see Amundson on the floor to get a better idea on his play.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Solo comparisions dont make much sense. Foster 2.0 does. Even though he is ... more athletic then Jeff.
    Jeff was pretty athletic "back in the day"...

You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Jeff was pretty athletic "back in the day"...

Jeff is very aware of this picture. During a lockeroom tour I went on in 2010, Jeff's locker had this picture posted on it. I got a good chuckle out of it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

If nothing else, bench Foster against the Magic and put Lou on Dwight (or whatever team Dwight is on at that point). Dwight alone has caused Jeff to miss a pretty hefty amount of games over the last 2-3 seasons.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    If nothing else, bench Foster against the Magic and put Lou on Dwight (or whatever team Dwight is on at that point). Dwight alone has caused Jeff to miss a pretty hefty amount of games over the last 2-3 seasons.
    Whichever way you go (Lou on Dwight or Jeff on Dwight) it will be brutal, but yeah at least with Lou, Jeff won't hurt his back sitting on the bench watching Amundson get owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Whichever way you go (Lou on Dwight or Jeff on Dwight) it will be brutal, but yeah at least with Lou, Jeff won't hurt his back sitting on the bench watching Amundson get owned.
    Right, he essentially becomes Scot Pollard.

I might have seen Amundson at his best in the 2 or 3 times I've seen him play. My impression is that he was one tough and physical guy for looking rather thin. He does have some guns on him...but nothing huge.

Kind of the antithesis to a Troy Murphy. Let's just say Lou is no matador. He may give up an And-One...but you will need to earn it and might end up in traction.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I hope I'm wrong but I think Amundson will be this years version of Magnum Roll. I know Magnum didn't really play for us last year after his injury but at this point he had a lot of people thinking he was going to be an impact player. It seems like we have some underdog player or second rounder every year like this. The big difference is that Amundson has already been in the league for 5 years. After that time he's managed to merit 15 minutes of play for the bad Warriors team where he averaged 4 points and 4 boards. Even if you through out the fact that he was injured these are averages over 46 games and he didn't do any better then that the prior 2 years with the Suns. I don't think it's realistic to expect anything of him other then salary relief at the end of the season, otherwise he would have done something by now.
    I honestly don't recall watching him play though. Some of you must watch a lot of other teams play to know what he brings. The warriors aren't really televised very much and he didn't play much for them.
    I really hope Jeff and Roy can stay healthy all year, but I think we still need to find another big man. If Amundson finds minutes, I hope he can play a little at the 3. I don't want a backup center that small. I don't care how much he hussles, 6'9" and 225 lbs is not Jeff Foster, and even Foster is more of a 4/5 as opposed to a center.